Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
If I rember correctly didn't some dude on a snowmobile shoot that moose with a Glock 29. More than likely would of had the same results with a G23 and heavies.

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Has anyone ever chronoed the Buffalo Bore heavy 40 S&W ammo from a 4 inch gun?
Id say it would be great.

Last edited by glockdoofus; 05/30/18.

I AM THE GOOD FRIEND OF RENEGADE50.
HE MENTORS ME.
HE PUNISHES ME WHEN I AM WRONG.
HE CALLS ME OUT WHEN I AM LYING.
HE CARES GREATLY ABOUT ME.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

I like Hickok45's videos. He is pretty transparant in his shooting showing misses and bobbles. Not like some that show the target before shooting and then no more.

HE MENTORS ME.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Having bought and sold several copies of all the guns mentioned, I would not myself re-buy a glock 29. Its just not enough more (to me in my opinion) to justify its girth than a G23 and good loads. For a woods gun, my personal take is more accurate might be more better. Why not look at a 1911 style 10mm, unless you just don't want to spend that money, (would not buy the Filipino gun unless I needed a book end)

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Having bought and sold several copies of all the guns mentioned, I would not myself re-buy a glock 29. Its just not enough more (to me in my opinion) to justify its girth than a G23 and good loads. For a woods gun, my personal take is more accurate might be more better. Why not look at a 1911 style 10mm, unless you just don't want to spend that money, (would not buy the Filipino gun unless I needed a book end)

What is a good load in 40 S&W?

HE MENTORS ME.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by jimmyp

...having just sold both my G20 and G29...my felings exactly..

That said I did buy one of them there Filipio guns...and it has run 100% and is just as accurate as the 1911s I spent 2 to 3 times as much for...

Bought the RAI Combat Commander size gun...ramped bull/bushingless barrel, VZ grips, Novak adjustable rear sight and FO front sight...zero play in the slide to frame..

...all I can say is that it works...a lot better than the Gs did for me...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
R
ryoushi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I looked at the Ruger 1911 in 10mm. Nice gun with a good reputation, but, as I stated in an earlier post, concealment and portability are high on the priority list. The 1911's are just too big and heavy for what I want. I mostly want the gun to go with me when trail running in the mountains as well as hiking and hunting. Some concessions will need to be made to cover all my intended uses. I shot both the 20 and 29 today, 50 rounds each. I did slightly better with the 20 accuracy wise, but not enough better to justify the added bulk and weight. With a mag extension, the 29 ought to be more controllable and comfortable to shoot. Will do some more research on the heavy 40 cal loads and go from there. Thanks for all the input!

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Where do you live OP? If you don’t live around grizzly bears, why carry anything bigger than a standard duty caliber? Ive had to shoot aggressive dogs and put down livestock. Didn’t use anything special. Just a Glock 22 and 165 and 180 gr Gold Dots. I now carry an M&P40 2.0 and an M&P40C 2.0. The Compact 2.0 would be a great option.

R
ryoushi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by JWD8310
Where do you live OP? If you don’t live around grizzly bears, why carry anything bigger than a standard duty caliber? Ive had to shoot aggressive dogs and put down livestock. Didn’t use anything special. Just a Glock 22 and 165 and 180 gr Gold Dots. I now carry an M&P40 2.0 and an M&P40C 2.0. The Compact 2.0 would be a great option.

I'm in Washington, wet side. The seed of this inquiry was an up close and personal encounter with a black bear. All ended well but got me to thinking "what if?". I've got a G43 that normally goes with me but felt way under gunned.

IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I’m also from western WA and I'd be more worried about tweekers and weirdos. Instead of raw power, I would be more focused on how quickly and accurately can you deliver rounds on target. That generally means standard caliber, full-size or mid-size. A Glock 19 or 23 would fit th bill nicely.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by ryoushi
[quote=JWD8310]Where do you live OP? If you don’t live around grizzly bears, why carry anything bigger than a standard duty caliber? Ive had to shoot aggressive dogs and put down livestock. Didn’t use anything special. Just a Glock 22 and 165 and 180 gr Gold Dots. I now carry an M&P40 2.0 and an M&P40C 2.0. The Compact 2.0 would be a great option.

I'm in Washington, wet side. The seed of this inquiry was an up close and personal encounter with a black bear. All ended well but got me to thinking "what if?". I've got a G43 that normally goes with me but felt way under gunned. [/quo

Phil Shoemaker killed that charging Grizzly with his 9MM Smith loaded with Buffalo Bore 147 grain hardcast. That M43 should be enough.

HE MENTORS ME.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Whatever cranks your tractor: I have had both a Smith 1066 and a G29 and G20. It's hard to beat a compact 10mm. If I had to pick a 40 caliber for grizzlies would be a 416 Rigby. Personally, I'd rather not have my pistol found embedded in bear dung. For two legged aggressive vermin as in self-defense it would be my G20 loaded with 180's at 1190fps. In the meantime for daily use it's a G23 Gen 4 with 357 OEM barrel. Looking for another G29 as we speak.

Last edited by Roundball1; 05/31/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ryoushi

I'm in Washington, wet side. The seed of this inquiry was an up close and personal encounter with a black bear. All ended well but got me to thinking "what if?". I've got a G43 that normally goes with me but felt way under gunned.

Feeling undergunned and being undergunned are distinct concepts, although lack of confidence in a jam can end up getting you hurt. While now I mostly carry a Glock 26, loaded with Buffalo Bore 147 grain +P Outdoorsman rounds, I would not hesitate to go in the black bear woods with a Glock 43 loaded with the same rounds. In fact, I have carried a Glock 43 loaded with Buffalo Bore in black bear country while traveling on vacation. I do practice a lot with the 26, and I also put in some quality time with the 43 before I take it anywhere.

My wife has more trail miles on her resume’ than anyone I know, having run, paced and crewed in numerous ultradistance mountain races, and a 10-15 mile hike through the big woods (complete with pictures on return of fresh black bear tracks) is a fairly regular occurrence. I would never hear the end of it if I told ya’ll what she is carrying right now. Of course, back in the day, she would compete unarmed.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Roundball1
Whatever cranks your tractor: I have had both a Smith 1066 and a G29 and G20. It's hard to beat a compact 10mm. If I had to pick a 40 caliber for grizzlies would be a 416 Rigby. Personally, I'd rather not have my pistol found embedded in bear dung. For two legged aggressive vermin as in self-defense it would be my G20 loaded with 180's at 1190fps. In the meantime for daily use it's a G23 Gen 4 with 357 OEM barrel. Looking for another G29 as we speak.

Running into a grizzly where he lives would mean that one got away from the zoo.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

365 members (1lesfox, 2500HD, 264mag, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 39 invisible), 1,683 guests, and 962 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,062
Posts18,463,354
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.