Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Met with a client recently, who is a ballerina a wanted her graduation photos taken. After we finished up all the static poses, I asked her, because of her athleticism, if she would like to do an action shot. She said sure and I stopped the motion.

[Linked Image]

This was shot with a Nikon D810 using Nikkor 24-70mm F/2.8 @ 24mm 1/3200 and ISO 100

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The fast shutter speed stopped her well. I like her leaping shadow on the grass too.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by RedRabbit
The fast shutter speed stopped her well. I like her leaping shadow on the grass too.

Agreed....that's a neat touch!!

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I do a bunch like that with dog's, just not quite that good. Let me ask you a question. Do you actually try to time a shot like that or use machine gun mode? I only use machine gun mode shooting running dogs. I also up ISO to where I can use a min 250 sec and a wide open lens. I don't time nothing, I just get what come's out. I have heard from guy's that claim they do running shot's of animals and time their shot. Can't see how they do that, time goes by to fast and a nano sec changes every thing.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When shooting birds in flight I set SS at 1000 or greater and select aperture based on how much depth of focus I think I want —almost always in either continuous low or high.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
When doing sports, I usually do multiple frames and hope that one or two are good

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by DonFischer
Let me ask you a question. Do you actually try to time a shot like that or use machine gun mode?

Don,

I use a Nikon D810 and this this subject and many like her in the dance company that I photograph, I will do two things.
First, I will ask them to do what they are going to do so I can preview it. What kind of timing do I need?
Then I will switch from Aperture priority to Shutter priority. Commonly I am at 1000th of a sec or faster in order to prevent ghosting in my image.
Then, I'll shoot on CH (continuous high)speed mode which is five (RAW) frames per second, without the extended battery pack. Then the re-evaluate the shot in the preview and delete the ones that are leading up to and following the one that I wanted.

I also up ISO to where I can use a min 250 sec and a wide open lens. I don't time nothing, I just get what come's out.

Depending on how well your camera handles high ISO, you can definitely increase the ISO to help increase your the amount of light of the image. Although you want to me careful, because it can often times lead to noisy images.

I have heard from guy's that claim they do running shot's of animals and time their shot. Can't see how they do that, time goes by to fast and a nano sec changes every thing.

I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm sure that thousands of people do that. While, I personally do not think it is wise to shoot that way, everyone's shooting style is different. Photography is a lot like golf. While there are rules, or guidelines really, like composition, rule of thirds, lighting, ect...
You can bend or manipulate them to achieve any creative goal that you have. Again, like golf, there are many different clubs (tools) and styles to play the game and several things can be tweaked here and there to benefit your style. However it is a two way street there are things that will hinder you too. Thank God for digital now, in order to preview your exposure immediately and if needed adjust your composition and shoot again.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Great shot. I too love the shadow

Joel Paymer
Camera Land
720 Old Bethpage Road
Old Bethpage, NY 11804
www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000
[email protected]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I do a bunch like that with dog's, just not quite that good. Let me ask you a question. Do you actually try to time a shot like that or use machine gun mode? I only use machine gun mode shooting running dogs. I also up ISO to where I can use a min 250 sec and a wide open lens. I don't time nothing, I just get what come's out. I have heard from guy's that claim they do running shot's of animals and time their shot. Can't see how they do that, time goes by to fast and a nano sec changes every thing.

Don, I am not a bird guy, but my bif settings are manual, f/5.6 or 8, 1/2000 sec, auto iso, continuous high, af-c, dynamic 21point. I found continuous low too slow of intervals. My lens is the Nikon 200-500 f/5.6. I suspect CH would be best for you catching the dog's right leg position, ear flop, open eye, etc. Rather than trying to time just one shot, I think anticipating it and taking a series to choose the best one would be better a option.

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
My lens is the Nikon 200-500 f/5.6.

RR,

How do you like that lens?

I was looking at that one in particular for some baseball shots from the outfield, but the minimal F stop left me puzzled. Assuming a lower F stop would be ridiculously expensive, I thought that would be a nice focal length for my son's games.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TexasWicked1

RR,
How do you like that lens?
[/quote]

I compared the Nikon to the Tamron 150-600 G1 and thought the center sharpness was comparable, and the edges/corners of the Nikon was slightly better than the Tamron. Of course this was a sample of one. Since I use the lens for landscapes also, I went with the Nikon for the sharper edges. If you do not mind the weight, the Sigma 150-600 f/5-6.3 Sport may be a sharper option without getting into primes and much more expense.

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T

If you do not mind the weight, the Sigma 150-600 f/5-6.3 Sport

Rented it and your right, that is a heavy lens, Sigma is know for that and a lot of times I don't mind. I love the ART lenses, they are an amazing value all things considered.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Freezing the action, especially with water can be a real challenge.

Taken with a Nikon D600 50mmF1.8@ F2.2 1/4000sec

[Linked Image]

Same camera with 85mm F1.8 @ F4 1/4000sec

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Very cool shot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Grebe dance: 1/1600 sec
[Linked Image]

1Minute
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I especially like the bokeh in that photo. Way cool shot man.

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
How about the slower side of things. lengthing that shutter?
[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
When I was first starting out, I was a sponge and googling how to do several different things with my D7000, I wanted to soak up every style, even creative.

Anyone shoot long exposure?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Let me ask you a question. Do you actually try to time a shot like that or use machine gun mode?

Don,

I use a Nikon D810 and this this subject and many like her in the dance company that I photograph, I will do two things.
First, I will ask them to do what they are going to do so I can preview it. What kind of timing do I need?
Then I will switch from Aperture priority to Shutter priority. Commonly I am at 1000th of a sec or faster in order to prevent ghosting in my image.
Then, I'll shoot on CH (continuous high)speed mode which is five (RAW) frames per second, without the extended battery pack. Then the re-evaluate the shot in the preview and delete the ones that are leading up to and following the one that I wanted.

I also up ISO to where I can use a min 250 sec and a wide open lens. I don't time nothing, I just get what come's out.

Depending on how well your camera handles high ISO, you can definitely increase the ISO to help increase your the amount of light of the image. Although you want to me careful, because it can often times lead to noisy images.

I have heard from guy's that claim they do running shot's of animals and time their shot. Can't see how they do that, time goes by to fast and a nano sec changes every thing.

I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm sure that thousands of people do that. While, I personally do not think it is wise to shoot that way, everyone's shooting style is different. Photography is a lot like golf. While there are rules, or guidelines really, like composition, rule of thirds, lighting, ect...
You can bend or manipulate them to achieve any creative goal that you have. Again, like golf, there are many different clubs (tools) and styles to play the game and several things can be tweaked here and there to benefit your style. However it is a two way street there are things that will hinder you too. Thank God for digital now, in order to preview your exposure immediately and if needed adjust your composition and shoot again.

Thanks for that. I've heard a couple different people say I need to time my shot's rather than CH. I guess I could but I wouldn't have a clue what I'd get!

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T

Don,

Thanks for that. I've heard a couple different people say I need to time my shot's rather than CH. I guess I could but I wouldn't have a clue what I'd get!

I'd be suspect of doing that. At least shooting on CH, you would see through the view finder a segmented preview of your shots. Then review and delete the undesired pictures. That's is one of my favorite features regarding digital. I don't have to wait on film, which would be costly.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

169 members (2ndwind, 17CalFan, 907brass, 257_X_50, 44automag, 30 invisible), 1,981 guests, and 1,027 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,493
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.