-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Oklahoma is one of those states you would probably not think about as a fly fishing destination for trout. Nevertheless, the state has several prime areas (within three hours of my home in Oklahoma City) where water temperature and clarity will support rainbows and browns, and the state has a prolific stocking program from 1 November to 30 March. Two of our streams support trout year around, the lower Illinois River (below Lake Tenkiller,) and the Lower Mountain Fork (below Broken Bow Lake.) The Mountain Fork is consider to the best trout waters in all of Oklahoma.

[Linked Image]

While Arkansas has several nice trout streams within a six hour drive from my home. New Mexico is another great weekend trout destination for me and an eight hour drive to the closest streams in northern NM around Red River.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Do any warm water fly fishing??? Bluegills and bass are my favorites.. I live in trout country, but I prefer those two over trout!!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I live in CO while the trout fishing is good, I like fly fishing for sunfish, crappie and bass. Don't overlook fly fishing for carp or catfish. Hooking up a several pound carp is definitely a wake up experience. they are like a small freight train.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
We've fished Blue River & Lower Illinois, both were great fun. Locals told us that Stripers finished off the Lower Illinois trout in summer.

Carl Etling is tiny but they've stocked Tiger Muskie there now. I think we'll arrange to meet friends from CO next Spring.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The Lower Mountain Fork, Illinois, and Blue River have large populations of pan fish, small mouth, and cats.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
WINTER RAINBOWS: Trout season opens Wednesday at the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation's six winter areas

By Ed Godfrey
October 29, 2017 5:00 AM CDT
The Oklahoman

[Linked Image]
Trout season opens Wednesday on the Blue River in southern Oklahoma and five other winter trout destinations
across the state. [OKLAHOMAN ARCHIVES]

The state's winter trout areas managed by the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation will open on Wednesday.

Blue River, Robbers Cave, Lake Watonga, Perry Lake Park (a.k.a Perry CCC Lake), Medicine Creek in Medicine Park and Lake Carl Etling are the six waters that are stocked with trout during the winter by the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation.

All get stocked at least every two weeks with rainbow trout, except Lake Carl Etling, which will get a new supply of rainbows every three weeks.

Blue River near Tishomingo is a very popular winter trout destination, and the addition of Medicine Creek three years ago has been a big hit.

Lake Watonga was the first winter area the Wildlife Department stocked with trout in the late ‘80s. It remains a popular destination for Oklahoma City area trout anglers.

“The majority of anglers (at Lake Watonga) are from the city,” said Chas Patterson, northwest fisheries supervisor for the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation. “There are a lot of them that come out of Oklahoma City and fish it.”

Lake Watonga is about three to four feet low at present awaiting repairs to the dam, but the work shouldn't interfere with the trout fishing, Patterson said.

“We plan on going ahead and stocking like normal,” Patterson said. “If we get into the construction phase at the end of trout season it may affect it, but right now it doesn't look like it is going to.”

Lake Watonga also is a good bass fishing lake, thanks in part to the rainbow trout which have been credited with putting some pounds on the largemouth bass over the years.

“When the trout starts stressing out when the water warms up, it makes a pretty easy meal for those bass,” Patterson said.

Oklahoma has two year-round trout fisheries at the Lower Mountain Fork River near Broken Bow and the Lower Illinois River near Gore. The Lower Illinois River trout fishery has been plagued with water quality issues for years and currently the Wildlife Department has suspended its trout stocking there.

“Trout stocking has been suspended for about three weeks now,” said Jim Burroughs, northeast fisheries supervisor for the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation. “Water quality conditions, temperate and dissolved oxygen, are improving. We hope, and I think, conditions will improve enough within the next two weeks to allow stockings to resume.”

Last year, the Wildlife Department put in 228,385 hatchery-raised rainbows and 30,205 brown trout in Oklahoma waters.

Trout fishing in the Dolese Youth Park Pond in Oklahoma City begins Dec. 1.

Commission mulling senior citizens' fishing fee

A public meeting has been set for Nov. 7 to discuss requiring a permit fee for seniors to fish in Oklahoma City's public waters.

The Oklahoma City Game and Fish Commission is considering the fee for anglers ages 62 and older, who currently can fish for free without any city permit required.

Oklahoma City fishing regulations require anglers ages 16 to 61 to buy a city fishing permit to fish on any of the city's “Close to Home” fishing waters, including lakes and the Oklahoma River.

City fishing permits now cost $18.50 for an annual fishing permit or $3.50 for a daily permit. An Oklahoma state fishing license also is required. Money raised from the Oklahoma City fishing permits goes to the city's general fund.

Game and Fish Commission Chairman Rick Godfrey said the seniors' fee is just an idea. The potential revenue generated might help ensure the Oklahoma City Fish Hatchery remains open, he said.

“The majority of people we see fishing are seniors,” Godfrey said.

Even though there is no present proposal to close the hatchery, Godfrey said he worries about what might happen if the city faces future budget problems. Revenue raised from permits is one way city leaders would know the importance of fishing in Oklahoma City.

“I don't know where we might end up in the next year or two,” he said. "We are thinking we need to ensure something for the future."

The H.B. Parsons Fish Hatchery raises fish to put in Oklahoma City waters.

In recent weeks, more than 5,500 hybrid sunfish, 111,620 striped bass hybrids, and 550 channel catfish were stocked in several “Close to Home” waters and Lake Overholser, along with more than 385,000 walleye fingerlings that were put in Lake Hefner.

All of the fish were raised at the H.B. Parsons Fish Hatchery in Oklahoma City. In addition, the hatchery has created and placed artificial structures such as spider blocks and stake buckets in waters to improve fish habitat.

The public meeting is scheduled for 6 p.m. at the Will Rogers Garden Exhibition Center, 3400 NW 36 St.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I live less than 12 miles from lower mountain fork. Spend majority of my fishing time North of the dam on Broken Bow Lake. Few years ago decided to try fly fishing. Caught a few trout but never warmed up to it. Lots of people come fish the river. Is some decent fishing. Nice cool water to wade in in the summer time.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 59 invisible), 2,296 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,640
Posts18,455,339
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.