There is no denying air gun aficionados. I cut my shooting teeth on several — a Benjamin .22 pump gun and a .20 cal Sheridan Silver Streak, another pump gun (there was also a blued version) back in the sixties. With flashlights taped in some manner to these guns, my high school buddy (sadly, now a social recluse generally and to me anyway) spread terror (we thought) at night among the local cotton-tail community, not to mention the fall roosting blackbirds.

My greatly, very greatly, esteemed, great aunt was always ready to make fried rabbit for me. Man, she could turn a kitchen grey with the smoke from her gas stove burners — yet everything turned out delectable. Even exquisite.

But, I wander off into “the woods” here.

As a perfect alternative to the “air-gun” genre in the “burb’s” there are CB Longs available for your .22 rimfire. These little .22’s throw a 29-gr bullet (the same as the .22 Short we grew up with) but at a mild ~ 700 fps, and with a mild “crack.” Don’t count on these to cycle a semi-auto or anything like that....

But, with neighbors, and within 20-30 yards they are blackbird and bunny “sleepers” supreme, and without noticeable ruckus.

Anyway, on this Saturday, it’s an FYI, if you didn’t know.