B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I have an H&R model 176. It's stamped as

Model 176 10 ga. magnum
3 1/2" chamber Full Choke

Can I shoot Federal 10Ga 3 1/2" Magnum Rifled Slugs through it?

I'm thinking about cutting one of the slugs open and seeing how it fits through the barrel.

-Jake

Last edited by Bocajnala; 05/01/18.

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Ouch!

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No reason you couldn't. Probably won't have any accuracy to speak of but who knows until you try.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
It'll be for a 30 yard max shot... Primarily so that I can add "10 gauge slug" to the list of things I've shot deer with.

I'll give it a try

-Jake

In God We Trust.
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Don't know that I would want to touch that load off in that baby.....

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've an NEF 10ga that I shot one box of slugs through.... with whatever choke it came will. Full, Xtra-full?
I couldn't keep it on paper at 50 yards, I guess it was choking them to death. lol

As for "ouch", not at all. Far less recoil than the turkey loads it usually flings.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Primarily so that I can add "10 gauge slug" to the list of things I've shot deer with.

That's what I had hoped for too in the same exact model gun. I shot a "group" at 50 yards that barely fit on a 3.5 foot by 3.5 foot paper. I thought, "Well, so much for that idea."

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
A friend had one of the H&R 10 gauge single shot slug guns. This was 30 years ago so your results may be completely different but ours were memorable. It was an open choked version with rifle sights and would recoil hard enough to pop the forearm off and unlatch the barrel. With no forearm the barrel would then fall off leaving the shooter with the stock in one hand, the forearm in the other and the barrel in the dirt. I think the later H&R versions used a screw to attach the forearm rather than a latch. This would keep the forearm attached and the barrel from falling off after the automatic opening and empty shell ejection feature was activated. Hoping your results are more favorable.

Leave the gun, take the canolis.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by klondike_mike
A friend had one of the H&R 10 gauge single shot slug guns. This was 30 years ago so your results may be completely different but ours were memorable. It was an open choked version with rifle sights and would recoil hard enough to pop the forearm off and unlatch the barrel. With no forearm the barrel would then fall off leaving the shooter with the stock in one hand, the forearm in the other and the barrel in the dirt. I think the later H&R versions used a screw to attach the forearm rather than a latch. This would keep the forearm attached and the barrel from falling off after the automatic opening and empty shell ejection feature was activated. Hoping your results are more favorable.

This one does have a screw. I had that happen to me on an old 12 gauge one time though.

-Jake

In God We Trust.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have a short heavy barreled version, can’t remember if it’s H&R or NEF. For some reason I think mine is NEF. It is pretty damn stout with the turkey loads but a pussycat with the slugs in comparison. I purchased a MOD choke tube to shoot slugs because I acquired 10 boxes of federal 10ga 3.5” slugs at an auction for $1.00 per box.

On paper I can group them on a paper plate at 100yds with just the single bead, that’s with the MOD choke. The model I have is D&T forward on the barrel a ways, kinda like a scout scope set up. So, I got some weaver bases and warne rings. Mounted six different scopes and a red dot. No luck with any of them, can’t get one of them to shoot better than a 48” group at 25 yards. I even re mounted the bases each time. They are tight and I torque my rings to spec as well.

Went back to the single bead....5 shots on a paper plate at 100 yards.

Enjoy the hunt while it lasts!
IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by klondike_mike

An insider tip, is to keep the action dry too prevent the gun from opening. I suspect Remington was not aware of this when they purchased H&R. The 10ga must have been too much for the fore arm. I always assumed the change was to save mfg cost.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
A cousin has the 36"? barrelled 10 gauge, and he's a bit frightened by it. He bought it for turkeys and coyotes, but to my knowledge he hasn't shot it since he tried it out and put it up. He's still killing his turkeys with a regular 3" 870, imagine that!

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

616 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 68 invisible), 2,093 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,276
Posts18,448,425
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.