Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by rost495
I know you have to buy a trigger specifically for that gun. I don't even know if they are still made.

Timney makes one for the 600 series.

DF

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Ive got a mohawk 600 243 that i am considering going the custom route. But still on the fence...

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Judman
Does a 660 count? Mine was a 243, put a McMillan model 7 handle, timney trigger, had the rear action drilled and tapped, installed Talley’s, factory duped a 8” fluted Hart chambered to 6 ai... one of if not my favorite buck hammer....
[Linked Image]

I like that a lot! Who built it for you?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Here is the most recent (and hopefully last) one I built. I trued the action and bolt, fluted the bolt, shortened and reprofiled the shroud, added the 4th hole to use 2-piece mounts, removed the ejection port overhang, slabbed the action, removed the bolt lock down lever and safety knob which I replaced with a smaller more modern design, gunkoted the action, machined a custom adl style triggerguard that put the trigger where it’s supposed to be, stock is a wildcat composites m7 pattern that I had them adl, the barrel is a factory m7 take off in 260. As pictured it weighed in right at 5lbs.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by bigJ; 06/07/18.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Originally Posted by Judman
Does a 660 count? Mine was a 243, put a McMillan model 7 handle, timney trigger, had the rear action drilled and tapped, installed Talley’s, factory duped a 8” fluted Hart chambered to 6 ai... one of if not my favorite buck hammer....
[Linked Image]

I like that a lot! Who built it for you?

Steve Kostanich here in Chehalis, built several for me, and will build more...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by bigJ
Here is the most recent (and hopefully last) one I built. I trued the action and bolt, fluted the bolt, shortened and reprofiled the shroud, added the 4th hole to use 2-piece mounts, removed the ejection port overhang, slabbed the action, removed the bolt lock down lever and safety knob which I replaced with a smaller more modern design, gunkoted the action, machined a custom adl style triggerguard that put the trigger where it’s supposed to be, stock is a wildcat composites m7 pattern that I had them adl, the barrel is a factory m7 take off in 260. As pictured it weighed in right at 5lbs.

[Linked Image]

That horns me up right there.... cool rifle...

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That’s what I was thinking. I have a 600 .223 in an H&S stock that I might go to whittling on...

Correction, it’s a .222. I could see a 19” 6x45 in its future.

Last edited by Shooter71; 06/08/18.

Originally Posted by jackmountain
I’m not an organ donor. I don’t believe in an afterlife, but I’d rather cover my bases in case there is and I need everything. You just never know.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Im assuming this crowd would know, does McMillan offer 600 inletting?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

[Linked Image]

I especially like what you did with the trigger guard. Turning a M-700 ADL trigger guard around leaves the trigger sitting way forward, doesn't look that good to me.

Your approach is about ideal, IMO. Someone needs to machine your pattern and sell it. The trigger guard issue is the main reason I won't use the McM stock. If I had access to your trigger guard, maybe.

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Yes, but they only inlet the trigger guard for a reversed 700 ADL trigger guard that, IMO, looks dorky. I have a couple of 600/660 McMillan stocks and reinletted the bottom of one of them to fit the CVMW Bottom metal, as I like the way it looks better than the reversed 700 ADL trigger guard.

Anybody who has a 600/660, regardless of the make/model of the stock, would almost certainly prefer the CVMW alloy bottom metal to any other metal or synthetic options out there. The factory plastic units almost always bow in time, a corner than Remington didn't need to cut. Willie Manning's after-market 600/660 bottom metal is the best I've seen and I've probably bought a half-dozen or more of them from him.

Willie Manning
Coquille Valley Machine Works
541-396-6246 (Oregon)

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Yes
[Linked Image]

Ain’t easy havin pals.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Willie Manning
541-396-6246 (Oregon)

+1

My Mohawk wears his bottom metal.

Plastic EOM piece is pure junk.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Willie Manning
541-396-6246 (Oregon)

+1

DF

I would rather have Bigj's trigger guard, McM inletted for it.

I think there would be a market. Not sure how much it would cost to set up milling in aluminum or a good cast part properly polished and anodized. Even that part in a good synthetic may not be that bad. The shape is what's so good. The backwards 700 ADL trigger guard, IMO, is ugly enough to keep me from building one.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Willie Manning
541-396-6246 (Oregon)

+1

DF

I would rather have Bigj's trigger guard, McM inletted for it.

I think there would be a market. Not sure how much it would cost to set up milling in aluminum or a good cast part properly polished and anodized. Even that part in a good synthetic may not be that bad. The shape is what's so good. The backwards 700 ADL trigger guard, IMO, is ugly enough to keep me from building one.

DF

If I was making BigJ's trigger guard, I'd make the foot print the same as the backward M-700 part to avoid a special bottom inlet by McM.

DF

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

If I was making BigJ's trigger guard, I'd make the foot print the same as the backward M-700 part to avoid a special bottom inlet by McM.

DF

That’s exactly how I did it. The base of my triggerguard is the same dimensions as a factory ADL triggerguard, the triggerguard opening is just moved further forward. The rear screw hole uses the rear action screw as one would expect, the front screw hole is blind (located where the front of the triggerguard hits the base) and tapped for a hidden screw which comes from the inside of the stocks mag well where I used a button head capscrew to secure the front of the trigger guard.

I am not setup for production, but someone like Willie Manning could crank something similar out for reasonable money I’m sure. And since he is so well known in 600/660 circles already, that’s who you should approach.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 350 RM with after market (Douglas) barrel, kevlar stock, steel trigger guard and Timney trigger. It shoots quite well. It's stock needs to be repainted though. It's been hunted.

Last edited by Bugger; 06/08/18.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

DF

That’s exactly how I did it. The base of my triggerguard is the same dimensions as a factory ADL triggerguard, the triggerguard opening is just moved further forward. The rear screw hole uses the rear action screw as one would expect, the front screw hole is blind (located where the front of the triggerguard hits the base) and tapped for a hidden screw which comes from the inside of the stocks mag well where I used a button head capscrew to secure the front of the trigger guard.

I am not setup for production, but someone like Willie Manning could crank something similar out for reasonable money I’m sure. And since he is so well known in 600/660 circles already, that’s who you should approach.

If I had working drawings or detailed photos, I may check with Willie.

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

DF

If I had working drawings or detailed photos, I may check with Willie.

DF

I wonder how small the market would be for this trigger guard?

I have 3 McM Mountain Rifle style stocks inletted for the 600/660 action that are just sitting on a shelf collecting dust because I don't want to use the backward 700 ADL trigger guard and I don't want to reduce their resale value by inletting them for the factory specs plastic or CVMW after-market alloy bottom metal.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Good question. Willie sells enough of his excellent aluminum bottom metal to keep him making them.

Probably a smaller market for this part. It would be nice to have them available. Programming a CNC would take some doing but cheaper than setting up injection molding. Once set up, ejection molding would be cheaper per unit, just take a lot of units to cover start up costs. CNC would probably be the most reasonable choice for a smaller market. Not sure how Willie makes his.

I’d buy one.

DF

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My 222 wears one of the Coquille aluminum upgrades. Love it. Just want a short compact synthetic stock of some kind.

LOL
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

637 members (10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1973cb450, 06hunter59, 72 invisible), 2,996 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,259
Posts18,467,093
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.