Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a Browning SA in 22 short only. It’s quite accurate with CCI .shorts.. I bought a bunch of them years ago, before the rim fire shortage.

NRA Patron
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a Winchester 74 22 short and I love it... Shoot it often and have no issues finding 22 short (right now)

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dale, you suck. Send it to me and you'll feel sooooooo much better, I promise.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
DennisB, Re the10-22 short conversion, what's involved other than a different barrel? Will the std magazine cycle shorts?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Digital Dan, What's the effective range of the shorts on pigs? Looks like you got one through the ear hole and one above and between the eyes, will any shot to the brain area within the 22 shorts effective range do the job? What kind of shorts, solid point high velocity?

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
CCI CB shorts mostly but a few were taken with the HVHP variety.

It helps if you know their anatomy and have some self discipline. I have two targets with the shorts. One is the spine between skull and shoulder and that works on porkers up to at least 125#, but I've not shot any larger like that. It needs to be a broadside presentation and my experience to date has it 100% successful with both styles of ammo. The CB bullets will fully penetrate their neck, but the HP stuff will be found amidst bone fragments in the vertebrae.

The CB ammo is good for behind the ear shots on pigs up to around 125# also. It does not work on boars of 250# however. In fact it doesn't even seem to annoy them much. However, when they face you and drop their snout a bit there will be little if any deflection angle to the forehead. Inch or so high, between the eyes works every time.

Pigs have two separate layers of bone in their skull behind the eyes and that would be why that is an iffy target for the CB rounds. On a frontal aspect they will fully penetrate skull, brain and skull once more, lodging in neck muscle. Slow enough to not expand but they penetrate deeply. 100+ pigs say so, all but one with a single shot.

My longest shot with the CBs was 38 measured yards. Didn't expect to kill it but it was a pop flop deal. Most have been in the 15-20 yd range.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, good info. Any reason to use CB shorts instead of CB longs?

Last edited by 43Shooter; 12/22/17.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A couple. One is the short chamber for that barrel and the other being little precision with CB Longs in other guns. The ballistic numbers for both rounds are ostensibly the same. In any case, they work well in the Contender, 'nuff said.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The conversation here is a bit off topic, so for what it's worth there is ample supply of short ammo available online if anyone cares to poke around on the Midway or Mid South web sites.

I spent awhile this eve looking for the rest of the photos relevant to the story about the "annoyed" hog referenced above, and finally found them buried deep in the Devil Box. They fairly illustrate the points made and I'll just post them without a lot of chatter. If there are any question, fire away.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
DennisB, Re the10-22 short conversion, what's involved other than a different barrel? Will the std magazine cycle shorts?

43Shooter,

Not Dennis but...

I had one 10-22 set up for 22 Shorts; requires a Volquartsen Short kit. Which includes an aluminum bolt, recoil spring and a modified magazine. Kit ran approx. $200 when I bought mine. I did not use a 22 short barrel/chamber in mine, I simply used the long rifle barrel that was on the gun.

Did not shoot it very much, I find the magazines tedious to load with those stubby little rounds. So I used the Bolt to set my rifle up for CCI Quiets (since I bought two cases before the scarcity, down to one case now). Set up for CCI Quiets it also shoots CCI .22 Birdshot reliably, the only problem is the cost of the birdshot which is outrageous, I had some on hand and decided to give it a try.

I've been looking at the Browning Semi-Auto 22 Short Only rifles for years. CDNN dropped their price $50 to $550 and Browning has a $75 rebate on top of that, so Thursday I ordered one.

Jerry

CDNN Browning 22 short rifles (also avail. in maple for the same price);
https://www.cdnnsports.com/auto-22short-22-bl-tkdwn.html?___SID=U#.Wj6CWN-nHIV

22 Shorts in;
https://www.targetsportsusa.com/22-short-ammo-c-199.aspx

22 CB Shorts (out of stock at the moment);
https://www.targetsportsusa.com/22-cb-ammo-c-200.aspx

Target Sports will also ship for free if You buy a case of ammo, which helps me the on other side of the country.

Youtube mod of a `10-22 long rifle magazine into a 22 short magazine (I have not tried it);
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRRl0za6Ebg

Last edited by jerrywoodswalker; 12/23/17.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the info.

16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I thought those Brownings more than 10?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 16bore
I thought those Brownings more than 10?

16bore,

Yes a typo.

I do not have mine in hand yet but believe it is 15 or 16.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 43Shooter

I have a Volquartsen conversion. It's a much lighter bolt and spring and a 22 short magazine. I couldn't find a 22 short barrel at the time so I stayed with the original. Works fine.
I doubt a standard magazine would function properly.

Dennis

Those who call magazines "clips" and cartridges "bullets" ought not to be taken seriously. Jeff Cooper.
We might add those who call bullets "boolits.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Aguila sells shorts them by the brick - if you can find them.

Have not seen bricks by others in some time.

Two of my firearms are .22 Short only - a Remington Model 24 that Grandad bought for about $20 in 1931 or so and a High Standard Model C he bought for about $30 in the late 1940's. While I have several thousand .22 Shorts, I pretty much hoard them until I can get more. I did determine last fall that the Model 24, with iron sights, was still accurate enough to hit clay pigeons @ 100 yards about 20% of the time - equalling the best I can do with any of my iron sighted .22 rifles.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just checked Midwayusa and discovered they had Remington 29g Short ammo for $30 a brick. Ordered two.

Last time I saw one of these bricks was in a gun shop in KC, a number of years ago. Passed on that one because I thought the $27 price was too high.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Cabelas Outpost store here in town had some on the shelf a week or two ago. I passed them by because I thought I had enough 22 ammo on hand. When I got home I remembered that my Mossberg 46B is actually labeled short, long, long rifle. I guess that's a good enough excuse to pick up a few boxes next time I go in.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I see the CB shorts all the time. The high velocity (925?) less often.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (12344mag, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 61 invisible), 2,922 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,347
Posts18,468,794
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.