Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 7_08FAN
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by 7_08FAN
I may have got a bad box. They were some I had for a few years. I shot them out of the 6x47L. One fairly close and one at distance. I shot them behind the shoulder in the boiler room. Pretty much exploded on the surface puncturing a lung. Had to finish both off with another shot. Actually a friend finished one off after it got up after tracking it a quarter mile. His old corelok 243 worked great. Bad box or not, it soured me.

The NBT has 'evolved' and gone through a number of upgrades as it were. If it was a number of years ago, try them again..

I swore off them shortly after their introduction till JB talked me into trying them again. BIG difference!

Not sure how old mine are but know they have some age. Were your early vintage results indicating they were not as tough a bullet as the current production?

Exactly....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
After he got over his magnum phase, my father hunted a good bit with a barreled 308 Winchester, a full stock Steyr carbine. In that rifle he used 150 grain Interlocks and the Ballistic tips of the day which came in 100 count boxes. It was clear that those early BT's were softer. Fast forward about thirty years and it's me hunting with a 308 and 150 grain Interlocks and Ballistic Tips. I've found the current issue BT to be as good a penetrator, if not better.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
It is almost sacrilege to say anything derogatory about the Ballistic Tip here on the 'Fire but hear me out. I first used one, a 140 in a 7mm08, in about 1996. It left a large surface wound and disintegrated with a few small pieces exiting. The whitetail deer, did not go far with that lung shot but I wasn't happy with the integrity of the bullet. Next was a 130 out of a 270 (gay) that made an even more horrible surface wound. Yup, I got the deer. Luckily, it was a lung shot and not a shoulder. Next, still in the 90s, was a 95 BT from a 243. That one exited on the 95 yard lung shot, deer went about 75 yards and went down. Not as good as the usual 40-50 yard travel when using a 7mm08 with Sierra 120s or 140s or a 308 with Sierra 150s.

I have read many times here and elsewhere that Nosler made the bullets tougher at some point but we are left to figure out when that was. Also, the 7mm 120 is supposedly tougher than the 140. How are we supposed to know that? What kind of sense does that make?

The 95 BT 6mm was supposedly designed by Gail Root to the a tough bullet from the get go and he even used them on elk! So why then have people using that bullet experienced blow ups? Were these toughened up too? When?

It's all too confusing to me to determine which ones are good and which ones aren't.

Am I the only one who feels this way? I wish I was one of the happy BT users but due to past disappointments, am reluctant to try them again. The only reason I used them in the first place was because the Solid Base was discontinued. That was a good bullet in the 270 and 708.

Last edited by AnsonRogers; 06/07/18.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
It's relatively easy, just buy new ones.

I should say for deer I have no problem at all with standard weight Sierras in mid speed rounds like 7mm08 and 308 Win to name two.

Last edited by mathman; 06/07/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AnsonRogers
It is almost sacrilege to say anything derogatory about the Ballistic Tip here on the 'Fire but hear me out. I first used one, a 140 in a 7mm08, in about 1996. It left a large surface wound and disintegrated with a few small pieces exiting. The whitetail deer, did not go far with that lung shot but I wasn't happy with the integrity of the bullet. Next was a 130 out of a 270 (gay) that made an even more horrible surface wound. Yup, I got the deer. Luckily, it was a lung shot and not a shoulder. Next, still in the 90s, was a 95 BT from a 243. That one exited on the 95 yard lung shot, deer went about 75 yards and went down. Not as good as the usual 40-50 yard travel when using a 7mm08 or 308 with Sierra 150s.

I have read many times here and elsewhere that Nosler made the bullets tougher at some point but we are left to figure out when that was. Also, the 7mm 120 is supposedly tougher than the 140. How are we supposed to know that? What kind of sense does that make?

The 95 BT 6mm was supposedly designed by Gail Root to the a tough bullet from the get go and he even used them on elk! So why then have people using that bullet experienced blow ups? Were these toughened up too? When?

It's all too confusing to me to determine which ones are good and which ones aren't.

Am I the only one who feels this way? I wish I was one of the happy BT users but due to past disappointments, am reluctant to try them again. The only reason I used them in the first place was because the Solid Base was discontinued. That was a good bullet in the 270 and 708.

I f you go to the store and purchase new ballistic tips you can rest assured they are the updated tougher version.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've used 100 grain core-lokt's, interlocks, power points and power shoks. Have also used the 85 gr sierra bthp and 95 gr. SST. The 95 SST's and 85 gr BTHP are the quickest killers of the bunch with lung shots no question.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yep, just look for the Jeff-O proof boxes, and the bullets will be the recent version.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Yep, just look for the Jeff-O proof boxes, and the bullets will be the recent version.

I believe there has been a packaging change since then. Jeff could get into the new ones.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hope all the glowing reports on the 95gr BTs are true, I've got a couple hundred blems landing here tomorrow.

I hedged my bet with 100 85gr Partitions though......

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Case in point, I posted a picture this morning of about 30 WhiteTails, that were killed with the bullets aka 95 gr. NOS BT and 105 gr. Scenars, 100 gr. SMK's note the bullet wounds, very little destroyed or blood shot meat, that was the point of the picture, we kill a lot of deer every year we wouldn't use these bullets if they didn't work or made a big mess out of the deer.

I don't care what you use or why you use it, but a sample of 1 or 2 deer a year does not give you much to go on when talking bullets and their performance.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rio,
There can be no debate with your sample size. grin
Perhaps I got a bad batch (bullets were new stock BTW) but even on one hit in the broadside boiler, I hadn't seen that sort of mess since the last time I used 130 BT's (.270) back around 1986. sick sick

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If you're looking for factory ammo, Federal Fusion (95 grain), Hornady Whitetail (100 grain interlock), Federal Premiums with the 95 ballistic tip or any of the partiions. They all work.

If you reload and your barrel will spin them, the 105 HPBT works well.

There are a ton of options.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Hope all the glowing reports on the 95gr BTs are true, I've got a couple hundred blems landing here tomorrow.

I hedged my bet with 100 85gr Partitions though......

I took my buddy's kid a couple of years ago to kill this big mule deer. He did in fact use a .243 and 95 BT combo and made a nice 150 yard shot. The buck folded like a lawn chair. Of course, a partition is never a bad choice.

[Linked Image]

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
SKane, Every once in awhile we will have a bullet make a hell of a mess out of a critter, and I don't know why?? I have had bullets that have hit a limb or tree between the shooter and the deer but very close to the deer that turned into a hand grenade and made a hell of a mess of the deer. anything is possible, remember Murphy's Law.

Rio7

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Rio, loved that hangin' deer pic. You guys were busy!

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Grandkids have killed bunches of pigs with Ballistic tips.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I'm not seeing a lot of lung shot deer in your picture. Where do you shoot them?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
JGRaider,It pleases me to see you and others taking young people hunting,Good on Ya!

AnsonRodgers, I wait till I have the shot I want and usually head shoot when culling,if I don't or can't get the shot I want I heart lung shoot or pass that shot my culling buddy and I have a saying for when we don't take a shot for what ever reason, it is " God Wanted That Critter To Live Another Day" That covers misses also. Rio7

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Thank you. I wondered about your shot placement. Pretty much any bullet should work for a head shot. I use the lung shot to minimize meat loss, plus our deer are probably larger.

When I lived in TX and hunted Hill Country deer, I used a 243 a bunch, even with Sierra 60 grain HPs. Your deer in south TX are no doubt larger than those. They sure are up here.

I don't take marginal shots either.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
AnsonRogers, Our deer a quit a bit bigger than the hill country deer, but not as big as the northern Whitetails, doe's average 125# some are 130# Bucks usually around 200# up to 235# bucks will loose 20# to 30# during the rut and the does will loose some weight also we weigh every deer and age them and score every buck, and collect the lower jaw of all deer killed, that way we know where we are, deer are a part of our over all ranch management program.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (10gaugemag, 219DW, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 63 invisible), 2,062 guests, and 1,085 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,081
Posts18,463,897
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.