Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
DonDB Offline OP
OP Offline
D
For all of you experts what do you call a .22-410 side by side? I have one made in Germany. Would you call it a combination gun or what?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would assume so. A savage model 24 my dad has is .22lr over .410ga, and it is considered a combination gun.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
As it's German, most correctly, a "buchsflinte". Generically, combination gun works just fine.

http://www.germanhuntingguns.com/about-the-guns/gun-types/

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by sharps4590
As it's German, most correctly, a "buchsflinte". Generically, combination gun works just fine.

http://www.germanhuntingguns.com/about-the-guns/gun-types/

wow, had no idea

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by kellory
I would assume so. A savage model 24 my dad has is .22lr over .410ga, and it is considered a combination gun.

got the one my GrandDad had...was suppose to be an early model of it...

The 22 LR barrel is shot out, believe it or not...

410 works real good...

Gather it shot a lot of my granddad's favorite two pieces of meat..
squirrel and rabbit...

He died Nov 1968.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Seafire

410 works real good...

squirrel and rabbit...

He died Nov 1968.

side lever release? birch stocks?

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Kell,

yeah it has the side lever release...

but the stock was Walnut... plastic butt plate.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The side release is much more rare, as it was seen as a weak spot. It was broken off by the clumsy folks much too often, so it was redesigned for the center release. My father's model 24 is also the side release. wink

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wish we had a picture or three of that gun.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 700LH
Wish we had a picture or three of that gun.

It is the gun each kid in my family learns how to hunt with. Being a hinge action, singleshot, selective hammer long gun, it teaches careful aim, and judgment on what kind of shot to take. Simple to use, deliberate, and recoil is well within a kid's abilities to tame.
As a new shooter, it is your gun, until you either outgrow it, or another shooter comes of age. It is currently in the possession of my nephew, as he learns what it is to be a a hunter. I will see if he can send me some pics.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
My ‘63 Savage model 24 is a side by side if I hold it sideways....😀

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by navlav8r
My ‘63 Savage model 24 is a side by side if I hold it sideways....😀

Now, now. If you read the thread, you saw the tranision from SXSW to savage model 24 being classified as a "combination gun". wink and you are right. If held gangster fashion, it is a sxs.... smile

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The Savage model 24 was called an over and under.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by baldhunter
The Savage model 24 was called an over and under.

Yes. It is an over and under, a combination gun, a rifle over shotgun, and a few other names for it.

http://www.guns.com/2013/03/20/savage-model-24-rfile-over-shotgun/

My father's gun looks much like this one, though his is .22lr,/.410. If you look close, you can see the side release lever on the right of the reciever.
It seems, that a side by side rifle /shotgun would most likely be called a "Cape gun".

http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/31166/27014891_1.jpg?v=8D4899AAF04AA50

They came in a wide array of models, including 30-30/12ga. (Iirc)
The have been reintroduced as the model 42 with synthetic stocks. (In .22lr/.410)

http://gunblast.com/images/Savage-42/DSC05371.JPG

And Remington also has one with .410 /.22lr, but it looks goofy with the rifle barrel below the shotgun barrel (don't ask me why, it just looks wrong)
http://www.mrpolecat.com/articles/the_field_grade_combination_gun/index
"....What is a "Field Grade" Combination Gun?
A combination gun is a firearm with two or more barrels of different calibers. Most are of a break action design, like a double-barreled shotgun. They almost always comprise a rifle caliber and a smoothbore shotgun caliber, but rare and oddball examples exist in multiple rifle or multiple shotgun calibers.

The vast majority of combination guns, both new and old, are of the two-barreled over/under variety, and are simply called "combination guns" or "combinations". The two most common configurations are a rimfire rifle barrel on top with a shotgun barrel beneath, or a shotgun barrel on top with a high-powered centerfire rifle barrel beneath.

Side-by-side variants exist, but are fairly rare. These are called "cape guns". They were most popular in the northeast USA, in previous centuries when black powder was still in common use.

Excessive variants exist, both new and old, mostly of German manufacture. Some have three barrels (called "drillings"), four barrels (called "vierlings"), or even five barrels (called "funflings"). Most drillings are comprised of two side-by-side shotgun barrels with a centerfire barrel beneath. Vierlings are usually like a drilling, but with a rimfire barrel added above. And funflings, well, they are just very rare and extremely weird, typically comprising side-by-side shotgun barrels, with centerfire rifle barrels above and below, and a rimfire barrel in the middle. These types of guns came about as a result of gun laws that allowed only one firearm per household, and for their utility in european driven hunts. I certainly wouldn’t want to carry such a gun on any sort of extended hike, though!"..."

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Seafire

410 works real good...

squirrel and rabbit...

He died Nov 1968.

You can have a liner installed in that shot out rimfire barrel without any appreciable change in appearance.

DF

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Am I the only one who wants pics of the op’s 22/410?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Never saw a vierling with a rimfire barrel unless it was as an einstecklauf. To my knowledge, most often the sub-bore cartridge was 5.56 Vierling, a centerfire cartridge. They're also more than handy with most weighing less than 8 lbs. Less than a lot of scoped, bolt rifles. Cape gun is generally the British term for SXS combination guns. Generally, in the British version, the shotgun barrel is on the right and the rifle barrel on the left. Continental combinations are usually the opposite, rifle on the right, shotgun on the left. On the continent it's generally combination gun or "Buchseflinte". In the US, SXS combination guns were uncommonly made as one sees very few. Not so on the Continent or in South Africa and, there is quite a few in the US, if you know where to look, brought over as WWII trophies. They were made long after the BP era came to an end.

Any kind of combination gun never was exceedingly popular in the US, even when hunting was wide open and seasons non-existent. I always thought that unusual as they seem a perfect....combination. I can understand it today where laws from state to state vary so much and, with what kind of firearm one can hunt with during a season.

I don't believe combination guns, drillings or vierlings came about because of a limit of "one gun per household". I'm fairly certain that's been laid to rest as a reason for their development. Their utility as game keepers firearms and for northern European hunting, whether driven or not, no doubt influenced their development. None of the 3 were ever inexpensive, certainly beyond the means of a peasant and, I don't recall ever reading where the well to do businessmen, Junkers or various "royal" houses were ever limited to one firearm.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 160user, 73 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,116
Posts18,464,543
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.