Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

This year I decided to spend my 20 points in an attempt to draw a high-early bull elk tag in unit 76, the upper Rio Grande basin. I was successful. Woopie!!

Based on statistics from previous years, I had anticipated that 20 points would be enough and I would be successful. So I've already been out there a couple of times. I plan to spend a lot of time hiking, backpacking and scouting in the area throughout the summer. You know I think that may be as much fun as the actual hunt.

I've taken several nice bulls over the years, so one more bull is not all that important. I just think it will be an exciting experience to be hunting during the rut, while they are bugling.

My dog is not all that great as a companion, so I'm looking for scouting partners. If any of you are interested in doing a recreational backpack scouting trip into the upper Rio Grande basin, let me know.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Congrats on your draw! Proud for you!

I respectfully disagree on the nice bull observation....My biggest is a 360 7x7 and I'm looking for a 361 every year. However, I do see your point.....there is nothing like being out there in the fall just listening to 'em go at it before sunrise. It makes you sincerely appreciate what we hunters have. I'll never take it for granted.

Wishing you the very best of luck this fall.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
KC,
It was good meet you a couple of years ago and spend some time in camp with you. I truly wish you the best on your big point draw hunt, so go get a big'in.

Be Safe,

"...buzzards gota eat same as worms" Josey Wales
NRA lifer
Hunting is Conservation
RMEF Member
KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Congrats on your draw! Proud for you!

I respectfully disagree on the nice bull observation....My biggest is a 360 7x7 and I'm looking for a 361 every year. However, I do see your point.....there is nothing like being out there in the fall just listening to 'em go at it before sunrise. It makes you sincerely appreciate what we hunters have. I'll never take it for granted.

Wishing you the very best of luck this fall.
Godogs:

Thanks for the good wishes. I'm glad that there is more than one point of view. Wouldn't it be boring if we all thought the same.

KC

Last edited by KC; 06/06/18.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Dang KC, good luck!! Is that a special early season, or 1st rifle? I'd take you up on that scouting trip but right now I'm still recovering from ankle surgery.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good job! Pics be required...... <G>

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
KC, I'm in Durango. Maybe we could meet for lunch over at South Fork or Del Norte on one of your scouting trips. I'd like to meet you in person. Bob

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Kc--congrats, I hope you shoot a wall hanger! keep us posted.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Man KC that tag is a lot of years of waiting, Congrats! Looks like Creede is about 4 hours from us here in the springs, shoot me a PM on your thoughts regarding a scouting trip and maybe I can provide you some company.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
KC - congrats! I'm guessing this is the early rifle tag correct? If so, dang that'll be a fun time! You know the unit is huge and high so I'd get some pack animals to hunt with.

Have fun!

"I don't live in a liberal universe, my dad gave me a brain and began kicking life lessons into it until I stopped being stupid"
IC B3

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Congratulation and good luck. I can't wait to see the pictures of your hunt on this site, hopefully with a nice bull on the ground at the end.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Nice work!! I love drawing good tags!! Savor it and hav fun!

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole
Dang KC, good luck!! Is that a special early season, or 1st rifle? I'd take you up on that scouting trip but right now I'm still recovering from ankle surgery.

Smokey:

The hunt is scheduled in the first week of October. There are only two units in Colorado where you can hunt during the rut and this is one of them. I'm pumped.

KC

KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bwinters
Good job! Pics be required...... <G>

Bill:

I'll take pictures and post them throughout the summer and during the hunt.

KC

KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by colorado bob
KC, I'm in Durango. Maybe we could meet for lunch over at South Fork or Del Norte on one of your scouting trips. I'd like to meet you in person. Bob

Bob:

I sent you a PM.

KC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congratulations! You have a great summer and early fall ahead of you!

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CreekWarrior
KC - congrats! I'm guessing this is the early rifle tag correct? If so, dang that'll be a fun time! You know the unit is huge and high so I'd get some pack animals to hunt with.

Have fun!

CreekWarrior:

Yep. I'm thinking the same thing. I've already talked to one of the local outfitters. I'm checking into some kind of horse support. I don't want a guided/outfitted hunt. I can do that myself, but there will be times when a horse or mule would make things a lot easier.

KC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
KC - check if Sombrero Stables has partner ranch down that far. They may not but likely know of someone that does. I can call them if you want - I've done business with them on multiple occasions for the exact service you want.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bwinters
KC - check if Sombrero Stables has partner ranch down that far. They may not but likely know of someone that does. I can call them if you want - I've done business with them on multiple occasions for the exact service you want.

Bill:

Good idea. I just called their (Sombrero) home office. They are closed for today. I'll call them in a week when I get back from AZ.

I've already talked to Greg Pearson of Long Ridge Outfitters. He wants to sell me a drop camp. But I don't want to be tied down to some location that the Forest Service chose for where they would let him put his drop camps. I'm still talking to him. We shall see. He seems like a real nice guy. He just left to go fight some fire.

KC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Check with "Alamosa". He's hunted 76 several times. Plus he's a local---may have a lead on a pack horse.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

285 members (257 mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 34 invisible), 1,405 guests, and 1,095 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,225
Posts18,447,570
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.