Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Bull I killed in 2017. I used a 100gr slick trick.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

2015. My best bull by far. Probably won't see another like him...and I'm good with that..;)

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Ol Short Thing just keeps trying to fit in. Insults you then tries to be your buddy. Delusional broken man. I ALMOST feel sorry for him.......nah! Lmao

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by sharp_things
2315 with an internal 2117 for the first 5 or 6 inches for me.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Since then I switched from aluminum to steel taper adapter to boost FOC and momentum. (Or I use one piece solid steel heads without an adapter)

Ever run one of those through an ELK ? LOL.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by fredIII
2315 with an internal 2117 for the first 5 or 6 inches for me.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Since then I switched from aluminum to steel taper adapter to boost FOC and momentum. (Or I use one piece solid steel heads without an adapter)

Ever run one of those through an ELK ? LOL.

Way larger animals than elk. Way more durable and wider and meaner too. wink

Broadheads still are not species specific and elk are still not magical. Im certain the OP can filter through the dumb stuff a couple guys on the short end of the stick are pouting about and actual posts of substance I and some others are providing. The but hurt is strong with some here. grin

Last edited by sharp_things; 06/12/18.

Member Wisconsin Bowhunters Assc, Wisconsin Traditional archers, Pope and Young, Asbhy 100,
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

Bull I killed in 2017. I used a 100gr slick trick.

God damn show off!!! Grin

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by bigwoods
Ol Short Thing just keeps trying to fit in. Insults you then tries to be your buddy. Delusional broken man. I ALMOST feel sorry for him.......nah! Lmao

The big stupid dummy has forgot one thing, we’re hunters.... haha

Why doncha hold a knife up in a pic like the other big mouth stupid sonafabitch while your at you pasty white blubbering idiot....

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
[Linked Image]

Member Wisconsin Bowhunters Assc, Wisconsin Traditional archers, Pope and Young, Asbhy 100,
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Judman
Why doncha hold a knife up in a pic

I forget you dont know about L39 the traveling knife program I created. Happy to continue to educate you (again) wink

http://ronkulas.proboards.com/thread/401/l39-traveling-knife-program?page=1&scrollTo=1002

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Guess my point is the gear used to kill Cape buffalo is not needed on elk. Your steel inserts and the like is way the [bleep] over kill and rainbows at 20yds are fine but once you get to hunt where the groundskeeper ain’t mowed the grass you will understand. Flat and to the point is where elk die.

Best part is you think you have won something all along giving advice when you don’t have any. LOL.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Clearly you dont understand. I knew that for some time but I fear you dont so its worth reminding you. Having used this heavy stuff to put adult sized arrows into large animals at 60 and 65 yards in the mountain woods tells me first hand that my trajectory is just fine and "overkill" is the key and far better than "underkill" . grin

You are welcome.

The cutthroat broadhead web site success gallery flush with page after page of elk kills also tells me that recommending them to the OP is sound advice. (since he is looking for gear recommendations) .

http://cutthroatbroadheads.com/success_photos.html

Now you can stop pouting since you were brought up to speed.. Let me know if I can assist you with anything else sport. wink

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Clearly you dont understand. I knew that for some time but I fear you dont so its worth reminding you. Having used this heavy stuff to put adult sized arrows into large animals at 60 and 65 yards in the mountain woods tells me first hand that my trajectory is just fine and "overkill" is the key and far better than "underkill" . grin

You are welcome.

The cutthroat broadhead web site success gallery flush with page after page of elk kills also tells me that recommending them to the OP is sound advice. (since he is looking for gear recommendations) . Now you can stop pouting since you were brought up to speed..

LOL. So you are giving advice based on the photo gallery of the said companies web site. Never having used said product your self on the game ask about by the OP. Huh. You are even smarter than I thought. 🤭. Tell us more about how you google pictures of elk and tell yourself you could to.

Next week You should pretend to go lion hunting and give some expert advice on that subject once you find a web site to suggest. 😃
You might want to read more and post less.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Title says: Archery elk advice/ suggestions.
If one has never killed an ELK would their advice or suggestions be needed or valued? Huh🤔
Ps Jud, just PMed me saying that jock you want someone to hold! is actually a girls hair tie and a sunflower seed shell And the guys at pope and young voted it best in show.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Seems I wounded you far worse than even I thought, I didn't mean to upset you so. You too can fill out a butthurt report as well. wink

PS broadheads are still not species specific. They don't care if they are passing through the vitals of a elk or bear of water buff. Trust me on that one but feel free to ask as many questions as you need to.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Your really impressed with the farm raised Holstein/Jersey cross aintcha??? It’s actually a shame you are even posting pics of it. Next time I kill a horse for the neighbor I’ll snap a pic for the blubbering mouth breather.....

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If at some point I shoot one of those I will let you know. You have me killing stuff I haven't even hunted yet. Slow your roll speed racer. Be patient. So far Ive killed a Vancouver bull and a water buffalo but if you have specific things you want to see a bowhunter kill, let me know. grin

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
OK. So what I've gleaned from this so far, from the people that routinely hunt and kill elk, screw on a sharp fixed blade head of good construction, use the setup I already have, practice like crazy in the event I have to shoot farther than I would in a PA treestand, and then instead of taking that shot, do my best to get closer if I can. It seems I'll be farther ahead in the game going that route, than stuffing and gluing all kinds of crap inside my arrows, and resighting/retuning everything for arrows with the trajectory of a shot put.

p.s. That picture of the old 2 blade head and the ivorys is hands down one of the coolest pictures I've ever seen posted on here. Thanks for the help fellas, and by all means keep the suggestions coming.

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You are well on your way to kill all manner of big game regardless of species. Best of luck.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
And you don't have to shoot single bevel fixed for elk, but they don't hurt either. Zwickeys have killed all the elk I've ever seen killed with an arrow. Just avoid mechanicals and you will be fine.

If the game wouldn't move, you could take longer shots if you were practiced, I used to be somewhat good in the mid 80s at longer shots with a bow, before it was the rage, but the deer will move, the elk will move and even though I was confident all the way out to 100 to be able to hit a softball size target, I just don't believe in long shots.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you have the budget for it, Iron Will is a popular elk head. They are very well built and come in a variety of weights.

https://www.ironwilloutfitters.com/shop/

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

623 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 10gaugeman, 61 invisible), 2,026 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,245
Posts18,447,994
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.