Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Maybe you men can answer some questions for me. I was at Cabela's today (had a gift card to use) and inquired about broadheads for my crossbow. I'm shooting an Excaliber Ibex-an older recurve crossbow. The archery guy told me I had to shoot 150 gr. broadheads through this bow. Is this accurate information? I just want to make sure I get the right heads. What about mechanical vs. fixed blades? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i shoot 125 gr 3 blade muzzy works well

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It's hard for me to put much faith in a Cabela's salesman.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
g r their is 6 of us that use the muzzys in the camp that shoot ex cal s an we all have great arck an great killing on deer & pigs

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As far as I'm concerned, any razerhead you can use on your arrows, you can use on your crossbow bolts. However, I personally, had issues with fixed blade broadheads planning off target. I went to silver strike mechanicals, and have had no issues since.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
kell we had some planeing with the 4 blade so we stayed with the 3 blade we target shoot to 80 yards with used broad heads

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 44mc
kell we had some planeing with the 4 blade so we stayed with the 3 blade we target shoot to 80 yards with used broad heads

The ones I had issues with were flat chisle point razerheads with crosscut blades. The silver strikes are three bladed folding mechanicals with replaceable blades.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
cross cut ?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 44mc
cross cut ?

Yes, like these. This type gave me problems.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v717/PiePuncher/Mobile%20Uploads/20160101_174102.jpg

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ok i have not seen them we use a 1 1/16 in three blade you put each blade in an then screw the tip on

IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Gunner - pull down the owners guide from Excalibers website.

Should tell you what they recommend- I had an Exomax, the website was a good source of data on it, even though that model was long discontinued.

In doing a little digging on AT, and a couple of reviews, it looks like the Firebolts shipped with the Ibex were 150 grain fieldpojnts, FWIW.

Generally - IME - fixed blades are less of an issue than mechanical- but as noted above, they can plane pretty bad.

If you go mechanical, the BH model needs to be rated for the shock of a crossbow firing, or the blades can/will deploy. I like Rage collared BH, but that doesn’t mean they are the best for you.

Last edited by AH64guy; 06/09/18.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the info guys.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AH64guy
Gunner - pull down the owners guide from Excalibers website.

Should tell you what they recommend- I had an Exomax, the website was a good source of data on it, even though that model was long discontinued.

In doing a little digging on AT, and a couple of reviews, it looks like the Firebolts shipped with the Ibex were 150 grain fieldpojnts, FWIW.

Generally - IME - fixed blades are less of an issue than mechanical- but as noted above, they can plane pretty bad.

If you go mechanical, the BH model needs to be rated for the shock of a crossbow firing, or the blades can/will deploy. I like Rage collared BH, but that doesn’t mean they are the best for you.

I looked at the on line manuals but couldn't find one for the older Excaliber Ibex models. I bought this bow used two years ago and plan on hunting with it this fall. I know MILES58 runs one of these or something close to it, so I'll be talking to him shortly. 150 gr. heads just seems awful heavy. If that's what I need, so be it, but if possible I'd like to go with a lighter point. I also want to use a mechanical to avoid the planing issue too.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Planing comes from too light of weight up front. 150 and more will give better results as it boosts the FOC and makes the broadhead tipped bolt easier to tune for improved flight. Short bolts need weight forward and is why xcal recommends them. I know several excal users that thought they knew better and wanted more speed and went with 100 grain heads until they learned first hand why 150 (or more) gave them better flight than 100 grain heads. Dont worry about speed and trajectory since you have a multi reticle scope that you can sight it for all your shot distances. Get your hands on some 150 and 200 grain heads and watch your groups tighten and your penetration improve and the noise of the bolt discharge decrease.

Last edited by sharp_things; 06/11/18.

Member Wisconsin Bowhunters Assc, Wisconsin Traditional archers, Pope and Young, Asbhy 100,
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
New at this, but seems like when in doubt, go heavy, which should reduce shock to the bow. Somewhere you should be able to find a minimum bolt-weight spec for your bow.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sharp_things
Planing comes from too light of weight up front. 150 and more will give better results as it boosts the FOC and makes the broadhead tipped bolt easier to tune for improved flight. Short bolts need weight forward and is why xcal recommends them. I know several excal users that thought they knew better and wanted more speed and went with 100 grain heads until they learned first hand why 150 (or more) gave them better flight than 100 grain heads. Dont worry about speed and trajectory since you have a multi reticle scope that you can sight it for all your shot distances. Get your hands on some 150 and 200 grain heads and watch your groups tighten and your penetration improve and the noise of the bolt discharge decrease.

Originally Posted by sharp_things

Well that sounds right to me. Do you suggest fixed blade or mechanical?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Always fixed. (never fail and can survive the rigors of the launch and hit without breaking and they are always open meaning they don't fail to deploy) For the crossbow guys that I set up that are married to a particular head (usually 100 grain) I swap out the alum. Inserts in their bolts and replace with brass to boost the FOC. I set up two guys with the same Killer Instinct crossbows. One was willing to listen and let me put brass inserts in his bolts. The other guy was chasing speed. Both wanted to use Slick Trick (Great crossbow head). Both setups were the same with the exception of the brass inserts in one.

The guy who chased speed could not group consistently passed 30 yards. The heavier FOC guys was driving tacks at 60 yards. Weight forward in bolts is a great thing and so is the added momentum.

Member Wisconsin Bowhunters Assc, Wisconsin Traditional archers, Pope and Young, Asbhy 100,
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I'm shooting 125 grain Muzzy's on cheap 20" Bloodsport arrows with brass inserts out of my cheap Center Point Sniper 370 crossbow and can consistently hit a 1" bullseye from 40 yards rested over my picnic table.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is your Center Point Sniper crossbow reliable?

The Barirent crossbows I have triggers jammed up and they won't shoot!

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Is your Center Point Sniper crossbow reliable?

The Barirent crossbows I have triggers jammed up and they won't shoot!

I've owned 3 Barnett crossbows, and never had any kind of trigger problem.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
669 members (12344mag, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 76 invisible), 2,672 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,614
Posts18,398,421
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.