Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by slip_sinker
Was reading over in the varmint forum about 223 hunting bullets and figured I'd ask this here.
There were several comments on how good the 55 SGK is on deer/hogs/lopes.
I was wondering how the Hornady 55 SP compares to it.
Is it as tough/good?
I'm trying to find an inexpensive deer/hog load that shoots very close to same POI as 55 FMJ so my son can practice a lot this summer with the FMJ and switch to SP for deer this fall.
Obviously I'd check zero before just switching.
I can pick up Hornady 55 SP locally for $24/50. I don't hand load.
Is this a viable option?
Keep in mind a first year hunter sending these things toward a deer shoulder.
Shots will be kept under 100 yards.
Thanks in advance.

I have shot two turkeys with the Hornady 55 SP out of a 223 and I had mixed results. The bullet expanded pretty violent on one and really mild on the other. For shots of 100 yards or less the velocity is still going to be high enough for violent results. I would not advise it unless you can handload and slow them down.

GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
They work just fine on whitetail deer. They will break a shoulder with no problem.

They are not what I would describe as an actual "varmint" bullet anyway. They function as simply a softpoint.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Years ago in Texas I shot several deer with that bullet in a short barreled .222....it worked great.....it's all about bullet placement....and very little to do with muzzle energy.....I'm not sure about this but I suspect the same results would be had with the .22 Hornet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
They work just fine on whitetail deer. They will break a shoulder with no problem.

They are not what I would describe as an actual "varmint" bullet anyway. They function as simply a softpoint.

Perhaps, but the company that designed and manufactures them says they are varmint bullets

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Not a 55 hornady, but a federal blue box 50 gr, buck was bedded 350 yds across a canyon, touched er off, he flipped 150 yards through the clearcut to the bottom. I’ll be using my no 1 22-250 with 55 hornadys this fall on bucks, I’m not even second thinking it....
[Linked Image]

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
They worked well in a Kimber of Oregon .223 for what goes as a large deer in the Hill Country of Tejas about 120 field dressed. Shot probably six deer and twice as many hogs with the Federal load that used the Hornaday. I thought they might be too soft for the faster 224s but others in this thread reported to the contrary. Only had one deer go more than about 20 yards, this due to a shot near the last ribs. Have not tried the Sierras but the 62 grain is supposed to be good.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for all the input guys

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by southtexas
There are lots of uncontrolled variables in this sport that we love. Not judging, just find it interesting that some folks on this thread have good success with a 55gr CnC bullet ostensibly designed for varmints, and at the same there are folks on a nearby thread who have had poor results from a 120gr CnC bullet at 7-08 velocities.

THIS !!!! ALL about proper shot placement.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

THIS

Ive killed a number of deer and just last week a couple Blackbuck in Texas with the Hornady 55 SP

Shot placement is key.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You might want to consider the deal Midsouth Shooter Supply has on 62 grain Hornady BTHP in bulk bags for about 11 or 12 cents a bullet. They are sold as hunting bullets and I can attest to their efficiency on hogs. Normally I wouldn't consider .223 on big game but the AR15 with low recoil and fast target recovery means a lot on large numbers of targets. My .30-06 is the weapon of choice for big game but it is too slow for 10 to 20 hogs at once. For that matter the AR15 is too slow in my hands but this 62 grain bullet works for me as well as Barnes at about 20% the price.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
[Linked Image]

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ss, My neighbor borrowed my Browning Micro Medallion .223 for his daughter to use for deer hunting for two seasons. She's 2 fer 2 on decent bucks with the 55gr Hornady SP. Both heart shots.

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by Pappy348
The non-cannelured version has a good reputation for holding together. My late brother loaded up some for the guy who owned the land we hunted years back, and they were good killers in his .22/250. He shot a doe end-on at about 100 yards and the bullet ended up inside a hindquarter. He whacked a few others as well. I'd shoot heart-lung on deer, like with everything else; 1/3 way up.

Pappy348,

I bought a few hundred of the 55gr sp with cannelure. You mention the non-cannelure version has a reputation for holding together. Are you implying that the cannelure version does not hold together? My both bullets are the same just one has the cannelure and the other one does not.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by valad
Originally Posted by Pappy348
The non-cannelured version has a good reputation for holding together. My late brother loaded up some for the guy who owned the land we hunted years back, and they were good killers in his .22/250. He shot a doe end-on at about 100 yards and the bullet ended up inside a hindquarter. He whacked a few others as well. I'd shoot heart-lung on deer, like with everything else; 1/3 way up.

Pappy348,

I bought a few hundred of the 55gr sp with cannelure. You mention the non-cannelure version has a reputation for holding together. Are you implying that the cannelure version does not hold together? My both bullets are the same just one has the cannelure and the other one does not.

I dont think he implied that at all...cause we know from a looooong track record the ones with the cannelures DO indeed hold together.

I Have such faith in them that Ive never loaded and hunted with a non-cannelures version...they might work just as swell....but Ive never bothered to try.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Thanks ingwe. This is the first post I seen someone mention "non-cannelure" and was wondering if they are that different.

B
B
I was intrigued by this as well. Nice to hear reports from those who've actually used it. Thanks.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Some recent kills with the 55 Grain Hornady....out of a .222

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
And another one..on a deer, since that was the OPs question...223AI 55 gr. Hornady

[Linked Image]

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
For a simple bullet cup and core, they are great bullets.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
The 55 gr. Winchester sp's work just as well.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 50 invisible), 2,524 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,953
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.