Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
shaman Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It dawned on me a while back that I had been missing out on a hunting opportunity.

I've hunted squirrel since Reagan's 1st term. However, I learned from early on that it was much easier to get permission to hunt if I promised to only use a shotgun. In SW Ohio, it was common for farmers to specifically deny 22 LR on their places for not only squirrel, but groundhog as well. The thought was that they did not want 22 LR coming through their windows.

As a result, I've gone 35 years without taking a squirrel with a rifle. My two sons have grown to adulthood avidly shooting squirrels with shotguns as well. It finally dawned on me that, now that we've been on the same property in Kentucky for 17 years, and no 22 bullets have come through our windows, it may be that some of those fears were unfounded, or least based in experiences from a bygone age.

I have resolved to fix that this year. I pulled out of the safe my Marlin 780 and mounted a 1.5-4.5X40 scope on it. I had it out on the back porch this AM, and found I could resolve birds in the trees at 50 yards-- that should be sufficient. I have a supply of lead Winchester standard velocity 22 ammo that shoots well in this rifle.

What else do I need? Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
oil flour salt & pepper and to know when its ready!!!

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
A sharp knife comes to mind also.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shaman
It dawned on me a while back that I had been missing out on a hunting opportunity.

I've hunted squirrel since Reagan's 1st term. However, I learned from early on that it was much easier to get permission to hunt if I promised to only use a shotgun. In SW Ohio, it was common for farmers to specifically deny 22 LR on their places for not only squirrel, but groundhog as well. The thought was that they did not want 22 LR coming through their windows.

As a result, I've gone 35 years without taking a squirrel with a rifle. My two sons have grown to adulthood avidly shooting squirrels with shotguns as well. It finally dawned on me that, now that we've been on the same property in Kentucky for 17 years, and no 22 bullets have come through our windows, it may be that some of those fears were unfounded, or least based in experiences from a bygone age.

I have resolved to fix that this year. I pulled out of the safe my Marlin 780 and mounted a 1.5-4.5X40 scope on it. I had it out on the back porch this AM, and found I could resolve birds in the trees at 50 yards-- that should be sufficient. I have a supply of lead Winchester standard velocity 22 ammo that shoots well in this rifle.

What else do I need? Comments and suggestions are welcome.

My family has used 22 LR for decades to kill squirrels and no windows were damaged laugh You said you were using Winchester standard velocity to hunt. If it is a hollow point, you can hit in the body or head for consistent kills. If it is solid point try for the head or you may have a few make it to a hole before you can get to them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Subsonic hollow points are perfect squawk killers. Round nose solids not so much. If you insist on solids you have to brain shoot them. Plus, if they are facing head on you have to look out for angles that lead the bullet into the guts making a mess, or into edible meat.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pressure cooker or crock pot would be good to have to.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cast iron skillet.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm a bit ahead of you. I've been hunting squirrels since Eisenhower's second term and most of that time with a 22 or, since the early 70's, a 36 cal. Southern Mountain flintlock. Been wanting to get after them this year with my Jeffery Rook rifle chambered in 25-20 WCF and loaded to 255 Jeffery ballistics, but, seems a bit of colon cancer discovered last week is going to delay that until fall. However, I digress...

I never did like hollow points for small game. Standard velocity LR's always worked more than adequate for my purposes. Of course, that is one man's opinion and preference and worth what you paid for it. Back during Eisenhower's second term, where I hunted there wasn't much, if any, fear of shooting at a squirrel up a tree on a limb with no backstop. Things have changed since then and I haven't taken a shot like that in probably 30 years or more. If the limb bacon is on the side of the tree trunk facing me, I still take that shot. Obviously I have no idea about where you are in Kentucky but that's the only caution I would offer, and you're probably already well aware of that.

I believe hunting squirrels with a rifle of any kind probably requires a little more patience and is more of a challenge than busting them with a shotgun. It certainly does for me, waiting for a good shot. That holds especially true when the leaves are still on the trees. Your scope will help, I still use open or aperture sights. Other than that, as others have said all you need is a skillet, bacon grease and seasoning to your satisfaction or, as Jim said, a crock pot or slow cooker of some kind. With your scope you should be able to dodge the old gals and guys and pick on the tender youngsters. Decades ago when I used a scope on a Ruger 77/22, (I assume that rifle still belongs to Jim), if I took my time I didn't shoot any old ones unless I need a fluffy fox squirrel tail to tie fly's.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by sharps4590

I never did like hollow points for small game. Standard velocity LR's always worked more than adequate for my purposes. .

I'm glad somebody mentioned this. Hunting squirrels with a .22 was perhaps my favorite thing growing up, and I did a lot of it. I went to Standard Velocity early after shooting them a bunch in small bore competition. Quickly discovered a head shot resulted in a squirrel kicking in the leaves and often alarming others in the area. A behind-the-shoulder-shot like you would shoot a deer, resulted in a squirrel hitting the deck and not twitching...and little to no meat damage. Others ( if there were any...) would not startle, and more than a few times multiple quick kills were made this way...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Guy I know used to say he would rather have a sister that worked in a whore house than a brother that shot Squirrels with a shotgun.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use SK Standard almost exclusively and can not remember a squirrel that got away or made it back to the hole if the shot was placed close behind the shoulder or head shot. If hit in the gut, then yes, they tend to require a second shot. I prefer head shots to all others. I did find a supply of Eley Sub sonic HP's that were being closed out and picked up 2k. After a couple of trips, they are being used for varmint control only or head shots only. Even at sub sonic, the damage if they hit the shoulder is unacceptable in my opinion.

I do take a 16ga on occasion to shoot squirrels, but it is a rarity.

CK
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The only non-hollow point I ever cared for is the CCI Small Game Bullet. That little flat point does a fair job of knocking them stiff and not having any runners after the hit. Doing that with minimal meat damage if the angle is bad or a hit goes a bit stray.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by battue
Guy I know used to say he would rather have a sister that worked in a whore house than a brother that shot Squirrels with a shotgun.

I'm in that camp too....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
One of my favorite firearms, for squirrels, over the last several years has been a Thieme & Schlegelmilch drilling, 16 X 16 over 9.3 X 75R Nimrod. I installed a 22LR einstecklauf in the right shotgun barrel and sighted it in dead on at 25 yards. 35 yards or thereabouts is still pretty much a dead on hold. The left, shotgun barrel is always there for runners I spook and I do occasionally use it. I don't like to but, with the dearth of game birds and bunnies in our area that's about the only chance I get to utilize the drilling. That, and should a 'dillo, yodel dog, skunk or some other vermin show up, they don't take well at all to the 9.3. That happens occasionally.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That M77/22 still sits right next to my M77/22 all weather and my 39M Mounty.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
When it comes to squirrels, I've been using CCI SV LR, for years. Never been a lover of hollow points. The CCIs shoot very well in all four of my .22s.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
The Remington gold colored high velocity hollow points have always worked very well for me on squirrels. The few bullets that I have recovered mushroomed perfectly. But I really prefer to use my Marlin 1894CL in 25-20 WCF for small game. I rarely use a shotgun but once in a while it's fun to pull out my old Creasant Arms SxS 16ga for squirrel hunting.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by IMR4350
The Remington gold colored high velocity hollow points have always worked very well for me on squirrels. The few bullets that I have recovered mushroomed perfectly. But I really prefer to use my Marlin 1894CL in 25-20 WCF for small game. I rarely use a shotgun but once in a while it's fun to pull out my old Creasant Arms SxS 16ga for squirrel hunting.

Wish you could use centerfires here. I had a 308 load with 5gr Uniqie and 100gr Speer Plinker that was very accurate in my rifle. Only rimfires allowed here.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I would petition the Game and Fish Department to make an exception for reduced loads like you use and lighter calibers like my 25-20.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MOGC
Subsonic hollow points are perfect squawk killers. Round nose solids not so much. If you insist on solids you have to brain shoot them. Plus, if they are facing head on you have to look out for angles that lead the bullet into the guts making a mess, or into edible meat.
Yep, solids suck for body shots. Mini-Mag hollow points for me. They're very accurate in my favorite squirrel rifle and kill well with lung shots. I know there are lots of folks who'll only head shoot and solids will work fine for them. I ain't out there to impress myself or anyone else by shooting only heads. I'm out there to kill squirrels. The more the better and lung shot squirrels eat better than the ones you didn't shoot because they didn't present an opportunity for a head shot..

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

365 members (1lesfox, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 37 invisible), 1,869 guests, and 1,008 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,602
Posts18,454,655
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.