Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I don't remember where MOG is. If I hunt on our place I have to pick my shots. However, in 20-30 minutes I can be where I wouldn't have to worry about it and I'm in Phelps County, SE of Rolla. As MOG mentioned, lots of Mark Twain Natl. Forest down here and a lot of it is EMPTY!

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We used to turkey hunt around Duke. A guy could walk for miles in that country.

Need to get back down there some time.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I don't understand the rational for not allowing hunting squirrels "from above". Explain?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With your scope you should be able to dodge the old gals and guys and pick on the tender youngsters.

Sort them after they are dead. Fry the young ones and make dumplings with the old ones. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My sons have really honed their woods/hunting skills by getting out in the woods for squirrels. That said you won’t find me out there until the temps drop below 90.

Last edited by JimHnSTL; 06/17/18.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Like Ingwe, I am one of those guys that would travel to another state strictly for bushy tails. I am also in that camp that will only go after them with a .22LR.

Having said that, I grew up hunting squirrels in The People's Republik of NJ. It's the most densely populated state in the US. You had to use a shotgun on everything from squirrels and rabbits to deer. It sucked, but it was either that or no hunting at all. Funny thing is they won't let you hunt doves - my other favorite critter to hunt - at all. I moved out of there as soon as I had the chance in my early twenties and never looked back.

I'm in my mid fifties now and maybe that's why to this day I hunt with a .22LR every chance I get. I refuse to pick up a shotgun for anything without feathers and am a .22LR nut. Maybe I'm trying to make up for that wasted youth.

At any rate, I pretty much use subsonics for all my small game hunting. Lately I've been using Eley SS HP's, and find that they are deadly even on the huge jackrabbits they have down here in NM. Hit em right and they go down like they've been struck by lightning. I'm also a big fan of SK and Wolf. With solids, I try to limit myself to head shots though.

I'm retiring soon and plan on doing a lot of fly fishing, dove and squirrel hunting. It's just too bad there aren't a whole lot around here so I'm going to have to do some traveling - but hey, I'm willing. . .

Last edited by Dryfly24; 06/17/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by websterparish47
I don't understand the rational for not allowing hunting squirrels "from above". Explain?

It has something to do with not altering the wildlife. Deer didn't used to look up for predators. Now you have to be 12-15' or higher to escape notice. (This is what I was told by ODNR)

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hookeye
Originally Posted by MOGC
No houses where I hunt... for miles.

Little thicket, 4 houses total. One on 3 of the 4 sides.
Loaded with squirrels.
Killed 130" and 150" deer out of it.
Sucky little spot wink

No disrespect, but it would drive me crazy. I had a buddy that was struggling with turkey hunting. He begged me to come turkey hunt his farm with him. He has 350 acres several counties north of me. I heard traffic noises, dogs barking, doors slamming, people voices, tv's blaring and we walked out the one big ridge on the farm listening for gobblers in an hour. We ended up in a pop up blind on the edge of a field. I couldn't wait to get out of that blind, drove me crazy. The entire experience of farm hunting just leaves me cold.

I see deer, turkey, coyotes, bobcats, elk, black bear and plenty of feral hogs where I hunt. I hear elk bugle, coyotes howl and owls hoot. I seldom hear a man made sound. No way in my lifetime can I hunt out all the ground I have available to me. There aren't fences, I walk until I'm tired and need to head back to the truck. It's what I'm used to and anything less has no appeal to me. I say that respectfully, we all have different experiences, preferences and different things available to us.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by kellory

It has something to do with not altering the wildlife. Deer didn't used to look up for predators. Now you have to be 12-15' or higher to escape notice. (This is what I was told by ODNR)

Well I hate to break it to them but squirrels already "look up" for danger. Hawks being one of their primary predators. . .

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Dryfly24

Well I hate to break it to them but squirrels already "look up" for danger. Hawks being one of their primary predators. . .

Duh...

" Biologists"....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe

Duh...

" Biologists"....

Yeah, I know. Owls too. But it is forbidden here. Wish it wasn't, I counted 15 last time I was in my oldest treestand.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hate to break it to them but if I wanted to sit in a stand and shoot a squirrel I would be doing just that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
I hate to break it to them but if I wanted to sit in a stand and shoot a squirrel I would be doing just that.

I have never run into a game warden on my land, but I have run into them elsewhere. Do as your conscience and your wallet dictate.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Luckily we don't have a reg like that here in Missouri.

The problem with their regulation is that they say from above.

So does that mean you can only shoot if they are in a tree?? Several instances where you will or could be above a squirrel if you are on the ground.

These lawmakers need a reality check.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 06/17/18.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

So does that mean you can only shoot if they are in a tree?? Several instances where you will or could be above a squirrel if you are on the ground.

Naw, they just want the hunters on the ground. I didn't quote the regs word for word. It says to the effect of "not from an elevated platform".

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

Naw, they just want the hunters on the ground. I didn't quote the regs word for word. It says to the effect of "not from an elevated platform".

I get the feeling that this law is in effect more for safety reasons than animal behavior. They're probably concerned with people on stands sending bullets down towards the ground where people may be walking around.

Is it a real concern? I don't know but it makes more sense than altering a squirrel's behavior by shooting at it from above.

Last edited by Dryfly24; 06/17/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I get the feeling that this law is in effect more for safety reasons than animal behavior. They're probably concerned with people on stands sending bullets down towards the ground where people may be walking around.

Is it a real concern? I don't know but it makes more sense than altering a squirrel's behavior by shooting at it from above.

Yep...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shaman
As a result, I've gone 35 years without taking a squirrel with a rifle. . . . I have resolved to fix that this year. I pulled out of the safe my Marlin 780 and mounted a 1.5-4.5X40 scope on it. I had it out on the back porch this AM, and found I could resolve birds in the trees at 50 yards-- that should be sufficient. I have a supply of lead Winchester standard velocity 22 ammo that shoots well in this rifle. What else do I need? Comments and suggestions are welcome.

That's all you need. I miss the squirrel hunting I could do in southern Michigan. Up here there are grey squirrels, but only in town. I don't know why. In the woods all the squirrels are red squirrels. They are tiny and there is no closed season. The squirrels I take are from opportunities while hunting grouse, so they are with a shotgun. If I had a chance at real squirrel hunting I'd be using my CZ452.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Youper
Originally Posted by shaman
As a result, I've gone 35 years without taking a squirrel with a rifle. . . . I have resolved to fix that this year. I pulled out of the safe my Marlin 780 and mounted a 1.5-4.5X40 scope on it. I had it out on the back porch this AM, and found I could resolve birds in the trees at 50 yards-- that should be sufficient. I have a supply of lead Winchester standard velocity 22 ammo that shoots well in this rifle. What else do I need? Comments and suggestions are welcome.

That's all you need. I miss the squirrel hunting I could do in southern Michigan. Up here there are grey squirrels, but only in town. I don't know why. In the woods all the squirrels are red squirrels. They are tiny and there is no closed season. The squirrels I take are from opportunities while hunting grouse, so they are with a shotgun. If I had a chance at real squirrel hunting I'd be using my CZ452.

I moved from the Soo to NM a little less than two years ago. I used to go down to hunt squirrels with a buddy from Traverse City every year because of the same reason. No grey squirrels other than in town. I did used to shoot the reds on my property. Little destructive bastards were always trying to get into my pole barn.

When I lived in Maine I would keep my Ruger 2245 with a Leupold scope in the dining room by the big picture window overlooking my bird feeders. There were days when I'd kill four or five in a few hours.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Doubful. I can use ANY rifle for squirrels, and I can use my deer rifle from that same stand for deer. Same conditions apply about people.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 1eyedmule, 222Sako, 222ND, 68 invisible), 2,479 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,243
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.