Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Diesel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was wondering what Canadians think about Trudeau in general, and his latest position on tariffs? Any thoughts

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I dislike his policies, I dislike his persona, and I dislike his position on most issues. However, I tend to agree that the suggestion of tariffs by the US is insulting. Just as the imposition of restrictions on the sale of rifle barrels to Canadians or Americans living in Canada is insulting. I also think the imposition of tariffs on US goods by Canada to be wrong. Tariffs mostly affect the consumer at the lowest levels of income while, in many instances, just providing another product for sale. The tariff actually becomes a retail product and is marked up just as if it was a real product and becomes a profitable item at the cost to the consumer. To me, if the US wants to tax aluminum, the aluminum should simply be sold elsewhere so the US market doesn't have to deal with the stuff. Same with steel, oil, water, hydro-electric power, etc. In truth, Canada needs to quit selling raw materials abroad anyway. GD

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
How do you feel about the 270% tariff on dairy and other agricultural products placed on the U.S.? Just wondering.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
All I can say is that he better think twice about slapping a tariff on fake eyebrow adhesive. He NEEDS it.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Whata clown ...... Kaptain Kangaroo at the helm.

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by robertacabin
How do you feel about the 270% tariff on dairy and other agricultural products placed on the U.S.? Just wondering.

I have to confess to having no knowledge of this. I do know, if I buy too much dairy product, I do get charged duty but it is no 270%. I think it's more like 30%. This is, of course, at the retail level. What may exist at farm level (which may be intended to couteract subsidies) I honestly cannot say. I believe in free enterprise which means with out taxes or subsidies. In some cases, a country will argue that low taxes are essentially subsidies. I disagree with this. There can be no expectation that every one must tax at the same rate. GD

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by greydog
I dislike his policies, I dislike his persona, and I dislike his position on most issues. However, I tend to agree that the suggestion of tariffs by the US is insulting. Just as the imposition of restrictions on the sale of rifle barrels to Canadians or Americans living in Canada is insulting. I also think the imposition of tariffs on US goods by Canada to be wrong. Tariffs mostly affect the consumer at the lowest levels of income while, in many instances, just providing another product for sale. The tariff actually becomes a retail product and is marked up just as if it was a real product and becomes a profitable item at the cost to the consumer. To me, if the US wants to tax aluminum, the aluminum should simply be sold elsewhere so the US market doesn't have to deal with the stuff. Same with steel, oil, water, hydro-electric power, etc. In truth, Canada needs to quit selling raw materials abroad anyway. GD

+1

Diesel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I see the concept of free trade as a fair way to approach trade in general. However, self defense products are necessarily made and should be made in country and the raw material should be recovered in country as well where possible. Steel manufacturing is one that stands out. A nation cannot depend on anyone else to deliver in time of war. Even with Canada being a strong friend, something could befall Canada that changed the supply.

Another issue messing up free trade is fair wages and conditions are not always met by each country. That is not an issue with Canada, but it is in dictatorship countries like North Korea. Wages need not be the same, but reasonably set so the workers can thrive. I realize that markets determine price, but when the CEO in the US makes hundreds or thousands of times higher earnings than the worker bee, that is what stirs revolutions.

Canada is a rich and beautiful country with good people from my view. I am glad that they are our friend and neighbor and hope they feel the same. I've met and worked with many Canadians that I would call friends.

Tariffs are a good tool to level out the differences from country to country, if used justly. "Justly" being the key word there.

Last edited by Diesel; 06/10/18. Reason: added sentence
Diesel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was wondering about what the Canadian perception of Trudeau is as a leader.

With the press in the US what it is, it is tough to access the man from afar.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well, the liberals (small "l") and the women love him, though not as much as when he was elected, 'cause the warts are starting to become all too obvious. Like his father, he's not nearly as popular in the west as he is back east.

IC B3

Diesel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by John_G
Well, the liberals (small "l") and the women love him, though not as much as when he was elected, 'cause the warts are starting to become all too obvious. Like his father, he's not nearly as popular in the west as he is back east.

I guessed the women would like the little boy look and demeanor. That kinda sums up how I saw him.

Somebody already said it. Canada's white obama. Hope he goes away quicker for you than obama did for us.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
According to Trump he is, ‘Very Weak And Dishonest’

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I am a western Canadian Conservative and never voted for either Trudeau. Hopefully we will replace him with a strong Conservative. Someone even better at standing up to Trump. We are your friend and allie. Fought side by side with America and will do it again. Don't allow him to jeopardize this. You asked for my opinion.

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I lived in Salmon Arm BC back in 1982 when his daddy, PET gave everyone the 1 finger salute off the back of a train he was traveling on.

Boy, talk about upsetting people. Everyone in town was ready to have a lynching party.

[Linked Image]

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by greydog
I also think the imposition of tariffs on US goods by Canada to be wrong. GD

I'm glad to hear that our Canadian friends are aware their government has restrictions in place to frustrate the free flow of business. I was concerned that people in Canada and other trading partners didn't really know their countries have been doing that. It is not very well covered on our partisan divisive news. Our news tries to convey that Trump has no justification at all to try and level the playing field,

IMHO I've been to Canada several times and I don't believe that politicians could very easily destroy centuries of friendship and interaction.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
A few speed bumps aside, Canada, and the USA have been the best of neibours for over a hundred years. Both need God's blessings.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by robertacabin

Yes, a 270% tariff is bullchitt and its time Canada quits propping up this industry.
Trudeau is a follower of his party of fools, rainbow lovin, turbin wearin, gun hatin, and in absolute love with Muzzie scum.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Canadian Tariffs

[Linked Image]

Table linen???

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Diesel
I was wondering about what the Canadian perception of Trudeau is as a leader.

With the press in the US what it is, it is tough to access the man from afar.

Diesel;
Good evening to you sir, I trust this finds you well and you had an acceptable weekend.

Overall, I would suggest that the "average" Canadian - if there is such a beast, is increasingly less and less enchanted with Mr. Dressup as far as his ability to lead anything.

As others have noted, his father wasn't well loved out west here and we're not his son's biggest fan base either.

That said, as my cyber friend greydog noted, it's not in our best interest as a country to export any raw goods and we need to do less of it - in my opinion.

The tariffs - say on dairy or poultry for instance - are in place theoretically to protect Canadian producers from being put out of business by foreign producers - US or otherwise - who can produce the same product for less because of a number of circumstances.

Sticking with dairy for instance - our farmer will have to pay something like $4.32 for a US gallon of diesel for his tractor - perhaps a bit less if it's marked fuel, but surely substantially more than the US counterpart. The Canadian dairy will have to truck the milk further to a smaller market - remember there's only 34 million of us in a greater landmass than the lower 48 - and will have to pay more for feed and everything else because of increased transportation costs.

The farmer can only produce so much here too - they've got a quota system in place - and the idea there is again to regulate the industry in order to stabilize supply - and in some ways that works after a fashion.

One thing we see up here still is family owned operations still exist, whereas when I've traveled in Washington and Oregon, there were a lot of "company" owned operations. Poultry was that way too from what I could glean.

In another for instance, something like 85% of western Canadian beef goes south of the medicine line - but it only accounts for less than 4% of your consumption.

Anyway all that to say there's more to the situation than meets the eye and public name calling on either side by it's leaders won't help the folks at the bottom and middle income brackets get cheaper food or more stable employment over the long term.

Hopefully that made a wee bit of sense and was useful for someone out there. All the best to you as we head into summer.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I visited for quite a while with a Canadian "extension agent" last year.

He mentioned that the combination farmer/rancher was in decline in Canada. He said it used to be very common for producers to be diversified into beef and grains.

Now he said the numbers of diversified producers is quite a bit less. He blamed the BSE wreck.

Dwayne and Greydog, why is it that Canada should stop exporting raw materials? In your opinions?

Concentrate more on finished goods?

I am MAGA.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

434 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 51 invisible), 2,534 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,973
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.