Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I must admit, I am a drop-out. But I did stay at Holiday Inn.

LOL

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
He told me he would have matriculated, but he was afraid he'd go blind.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
just get a 20 degree base for your rifle it will work fine,if you like that 280 ai I would save that rifle to hunt with and just get a different rifle and what ever cartridge you decide on. but I would put a target Nightforce scope on it with a picatinny 20 degree base and rings,many use including myself a Nightforce 12-42x56 target scope with a target dot. good luck,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Rings won't give him more than one turret rev.....

They won't do that, but they will give him elevation so he can turn the turret back down to center.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by pete53
just get a 20 degree base for your rifle it will work fine,if you like that 280 ai I would save that rifle to hunt with and just get a different rifle and what ever cartridge you decide on. but I would put a target Nightforce scope on it with a picatinny 20 degree base and rings,many use including myself a Nightforce 12-42x56 target scope with a target dot. good luck,Pete53

So you are suggesting not practicing with what you would hunt with or at the least a round thats identical in wind drift? That would be the worst advice I"ve ever seen on this forum I do believe.

By what some of us choose to shoot, competition wise, you can learn wind, but its not the best and not relative to your hunting rifle.

If I wanted to learn and wasn't interested in competition, I'd shoot my hunting rifle. Period. Learn it. Rebarrel it as often as needed.

Sometimes I think you should be savage53 not Pete 53

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

1200 minutes of angle eh?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
20 MOA BASE " for long range adjustability on a scope . "

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
1 degree = 60 minutes of angle, so 20 degrees = 1200 minutes of angle.

I know what a 20 MOA base is, I might even have a few.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
That NF 12-42x56 is a little thin on elevation adjustment for my taste. It's advertised as having only 40 MOA of erector travel.

I like a scope with plenty of erector travel, medium magnification suits me 10-12X. I also like a reticle with calibrated measuring ability be it mils or moa, helps adjusting a miss. I'm a fan of the SWFA 10X and 12X, after spending years with Leupold MK4 optics.

Of course there are different types of 1K shooting. For 1K F-class, the high power NF with dot reticle probably makes the most sense. For field shooting and steel, the tactical type reticle makes more sense.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by mathman

1200 minutes of angle eh?

That's for the 308 Win, if one wants to shoot it past 100 yards...…..grin

IC B3

V
V
If your are interested in long range stuff I would go more with an MRAD FFP scope. You also want to download a ballistics app. Hornady has one that I use. I Have just taught myself how to shoot long range. I started with an MOA scope and its gets too complicated after you get out past 500 yards. This is my opinion. I now have a Vortex PST 6-24x50mm and that works great out to 1760 yards (1 Mile) I still have a Redfield 3-12x42 on the 30-06 which is MOA but have rapid action turrets for hunting.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
laugh

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
I think you should buy a system.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
P
Paul4 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Thanks for the information. I’ve signed up for the class at the nra Whittington center. It’s within driving distance and I can stay in my camper which brings down the cost. I’m going to take the two 6.5 creedmoor and see how it goes. I’m just trying to learn a bit and maybe pick up a new hobby.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Creedmoors will do just fine,GOOD LUCK AND YES HAVE FUN,Pete53

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Enjoy yourself and post a report!

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here is a relatively new place. The accommodations are spartan but, the instruction is top shelf.

Long Range International

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. --H. L. Mencken

www.oregonfirearms.org
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Bangsteel put on by Dan Newberry in Virginia I enjoyed and it was a hoot. bangsteel.com

Still trying to be the Man my dogs think I am
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by rost495
[quote=pete53]

So you are suggesting not practicing with what you would hunt with or at the least a round thats identical in wind drift? That would be the worst advice I"ve ever seen on this forum I do believe.

By what some of us choose to shoot, competition wise, you can learn wind, but its not the best and not relative to your hunting rifle.

If I wanted to learn and wasn't interested in competition, I'd shoot my hunting rifle. Period. Learn it. Rebarrel it as often as needed.

Sometimes I think you should be savage53 not Pete 53

> yes I understand you boys drive or ride to your baited stands in Texas and sure its easy to carry a big heavy rifle up a stair case and use this rifle at 1000 yards too in the desert country of Texas also. well I live in northern Minnesota we don`t have many places to shoot 1000 yards, nor do we have the heat or wind that Texas has we have cold and snow which produces much bigger deer ,we also have to hike to our cold stands in thick woods,many times many of us hike over a mile or two, so we generally use different caliber/cartridges ,lighter rifles when we hunt deer than what heavier rifles we use for competition.i use a 257 Weatherby Mag. for deer but for competition I use a 6 B.R. a lot for competition.>>> maybe you should quit shooting deer on baited stands and learn to hike and hunt deer like a real hunter does ?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

> yes I understand you boys drive or ride to your baited stands in Texas and sure its easy to carry a big heavy rifle up a stair case and use this rifle at 1000 yards too in the desert country of Texas also. well I live in northern Minnesota we don`t have many places to shoot 1000 yards, nor do we have the heat or wind that Texas has we have cold and snow which produces much bigger deer ,we also have to hike to our cold stands in thick woods,many times many of us hike over a mile or two, so we generally use different caliber/cartridges ,lighter rifles when we hunt deer than what heavier rifles we use for competition.i use a 257 Weatherby Mag. for deer but for competition I use a 6 B.R. a lot for competition.>>> maybe you should quit shooting deer on baited stands and learn to hike and hunt deer like a real hunter does ?

Or you could just not worry about an extra 5-10 pounds on your 1-2 mile hike to your deer stand. smile

Really didn't mind the extra 10 pounds hauling the 15 pounder to the old "deer" stand here or anywhere else this fall. For true backpack based hunts where I live with everything on my back then sure a 6-8 pound rifle is nicer, but I don't get too wrapped around the handle for rifle weight anymore, especially for day hunts.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

492 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 58 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,166
Posts18,465,308
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.