Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Paul4 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I'm interested in gaining more knowledge and experience with long range shooting and want to attend a class. I am currently looking at the NRA course at the Whittington center. Any experience with such a class? Recommended or should I look at something else?

GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I recently attended Bob Harts in Pa feel like it was a weekend very well spent.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I recommend K&M Precision, their Basic Long Range precision course:

https://kmprecisionrifletraining.com/training/

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FTW Ranch.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Quit screwing around and go to the master......

https://www.accuracy1st.com/training/

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
there are more 600 yard FTR ranges around maybe do that first and learn 600 yards ,then go to 1000 yard range / class ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RickBin
FTW Ranch.

Talked to several vendor reps that have been to FTW. Granted, their respective company's paid the bill. That said, when asked, if knowing what you know after attending, if you had to pay for it with your own dime, would you go? Everyone of them answered with a resounding "YES". Speaks well of the FTW. I'd love to go, but $4K is a little beyond my budget for such things.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Gordy Gritters has a class on bench rest.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

RX18... 1000yard Marksmanship Course 3 days.

https://www.rexdefense.com/about

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by pete53
there are more 600 yard FTR ranges around maybe do that first and learn 600 yards ,then go to 1000 yard range / class ?

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by WiFowler
Originally Posted by RickBin
FTW Ranch.

Talked to several vendor reps that have been to FTW. Granted, their respective company's paid the bill. That said, when asked, if knowing what you know after attending, if you had to pay for it with your own dime, would you go? Everyone of them answered with a resounding "YES". Speaks well of the FTW. I'd love to go, but $4K is a little beyond my budget for such things.

Most shooters are willing to share if you are serious. 4000 buys a lot of range time if they charge for it, and a lot of ammo to put down, being coached also by guys that have done this a lot. For free.

I know I used to do a bit on wind reading for 600 for those classes when some ranges held classes.

That said, I suspect if you have the 4000 bucks to spare its not a bad investment. I'd just love to go if I had the moeny, to see if there were other ideas or ways to do things than the way I learned on my own to shoot long

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
P
Paul4 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Thank you for all of the replies and opinions. I’m going to look into several of them. My local range does go past 1000 yrds but I’m only comfortable to 600 yards now. I’ve spent a lot of money on the proper equipment and now want to learn to use it to its full potential. I didn’t draw any tags and decided I would like to put some of the time and money I saved towards a class to improve and learn to use the equipment.

Last edited by Paul4; 06/12/18.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Man if you range goes that far there almost has to be a few top line shooters shooting there... I'd chase them politely FIRST. Especially since they would then in theory be close by for any other help or questions.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rost495
Man if you range goes that far there almost has to be a few top line shooters shooting there... I'd chase them politely FIRST. Especially since they would then in theory be close by for any other help or questions.

^^^

This is where I've started.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
what cartridge are using at 600 yards ? and is that the cartridge you will be using at 1000 yards ? I don`t really like to big of cartridge anymore, lately I have been using my 6 BR and some people shoot that well at 1000 yards too and have done very well too. good luck,Pete53

P
Paul4 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
what cartridge are using at 600 yards ? and is that the cartridge you will be using at 1000 yards ? I don`t really like to big of cartridge anymore, lately I have been using my 6 BR and some people shoot that well at 1000 yards too and have done very well too. good luck,Pete53

I'm shooting my 280ai that I've been hunting with to 600 yards it has the Swarovski z5 and it's maxed out at 600 yards with the turret the way I have it set. I am trying to decide which rifle to take to the class as I have a proof research summit in 6.5 creedmoor, and scorehigh custom 6.5 creedmoor, Kevin weaver just completed my 6.5x284 and another 280ai ( Borden timberline, proof research barrel, manners eh3 stock) and a Gradous 308 that will work to 1000 yards. They are scoped with NF NXS 5.5-22x50 or NF atacr 4-16x42.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm shooting my 280ai that I've been hunting with to 600 yards it has the Swarovski z5 and it's maxed out at 600 yards with the turret the way I have it set.

Drop the Swaro in a set of Burris rings +10/-10, or +20/-20 inserts and press on to 1K. DAMHIKT

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rings won't give him more than one turret rev.....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
At which 1000 yard shooting scool did you matriculate?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I must admit, I am a drop-out. But I did stay at Holiday Inn.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by huntsman22

LOL

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
He told me he would have matriculated, but he was afraid he'd go blind.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
just get a 20 degree base for your rifle it will work fine,if you like that 280 ai I would save that rifle to hunt with and just get a different rifle and what ever cartridge you decide on. but I would put a target Nightforce scope on it with a picatinny 20 degree base and rings,many use including myself a Nightforce 12-42x56 target scope with a target dot. good luck,Pete53

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Rings won't give him more than one turret rev.....

They won't do that, but they will give him elevation so he can turn the turret back down to center.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
just get a 20 degree base for your rifle it will work fine,if you like that 280 ai I would save that rifle to hunt with and just get a different rifle and what ever cartridge you decide on. but I would put a target Nightforce scope on it with a picatinny 20 degree base and rings,many use including myself a Nightforce 12-42x56 target scope with a target dot. good luck,Pete53

So you are suggesting not practicing with what you would hunt with or at the least a round thats identical in wind drift? That would be the worst advice I"ve ever seen on this forum I do believe.

By what some of us choose to shoot, competition wise, you can learn wind, but its not the best and not relative to your hunting rifle.

If I wanted to learn and wasn't interested in competition, I'd shoot my hunting rifle. Period. Learn it. Rebarrel it as often as needed.

Sometimes I think you should be savage53 not Pete 53

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

1200 minutes of angle eh?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
20 MOA BASE " for long range adjustability on a scope . "

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
1 degree = 60 minutes of angle, so 20 degrees = 1200 minutes of angle.

I know what a 20 MOA base is, I might even have a few.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
That NF 12-42x56 is a little thin on elevation adjustment for my taste. It's advertised as having only 40 MOA of erector travel.

I like a scope with plenty of erector travel, medium magnification suits me 10-12X. I also like a reticle with calibrated measuring ability be it mils or moa, helps adjusting a miss. I'm a fan of the SWFA 10X and 12X, after spending years with Leupold MK4 optics.

Of course there are different types of 1K shooting. For 1K F-class, the high power NF with dot reticle probably makes the most sense. For field shooting and steel, the tactical type reticle makes more sense.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by mathman

1200 minutes of angle eh?

That's for the 308 Win, if one wants to shoot it past 100 yards...…..grin

V
V
If your are interested in long range stuff I would go more with an MRAD FFP scope. You also want to download a ballistics app. Hornady has one that I use. I Have just taught myself how to shoot long range. I started with an MOA scope and its gets too complicated after you get out past 500 yards. This is my opinion. I now have a Vortex PST 6-24x50mm and that works great out to 1760 yards (1 Mile) I still have a Redfield 3-12x42 on the 30-06 which is MOA but have rapid action turrets for hunting.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
laugh

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
I think you should buy a system.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
P
Paul4 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Thanks for the information. I’ve signed up for the class at the nra Whittington center. It’s within driving distance and I can stay in my camper which brings down the cost. I’m going to take the two 6.5 creedmoor and see how it goes. I’m just trying to learn a bit and maybe pick up a new hobby.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Creedmoors will do just fine,GOOD LUCK AND YES HAVE FUN,Pete53

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Enjoy yourself and post a report!

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here is a relatively new place. The accommodations are spartan but, the instruction is top shelf.

Long Range International

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. --H. L. Mencken

www.oregonfirearms.org
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Bangsteel put on by Dan Newberry in Virginia I enjoyed and it was a hoot. bangsteel.com

Still trying to be the Man my dogs think I am
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
[quote=pete53]

So you are suggesting not practicing with what you would hunt with or at the least a round thats identical in wind drift? That would be the worst advice I"ve ever seen on this forum I do believe.

By what some of us choose to shoot, competition wise, you can learn wind, but its not the best and not relative to your hunting rifle.

If I wanted to learn and wasn't interested in competition, I'd shoot my hunting rifle. Period. Learn it. Rebarrel it as often as needed.

> yes I understand you boys drive or ride to your baited stands in Texas and sure its easy to carry a big heavy rifle up a stair case and use this rifle at 1000 yards too in the desert country of Texas also. well I live in northern Minnesota we don`t have many places to shoot 1000 yards, nor do we have the heat or wind that Texas has we have cold and snow which produces much bigger deer ,we also have to hike to our cold stands in thick woods,many times many of us hike over a mile or two, so we generally use different caliber/cartridges ,lighter rifles when we hunt deer than what heavier rifles we use for competition.i use a 257 Weatherby Mag. for deer but for competition I use a 6 B.R. a lot for competition.>>> maybe you should quit shooting deer on baited stands and learn to hike and hunt deer like a real hunter does ?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

> yes I understand you boys drive or ride to your baited stands in Texas and sure its easy to carry a big heavy rifle up a stair case and use this rifle at 1000 yards too in the desert country of Texas also. well I live in northern Minnesota we don`t have many places to shoot 1000 yards, nor do we have the heat or wind that Texas has we have cold and snow which produces much bigger deer ,we also have to hike to our cold stands in thick woods,many times many of us hike over a mile or two, so we generally use different caliber/cartridges ,lighter rifles when we hunt deer than what heavier rifles we use for competition.i use a 257 Weatherby Mag. for deer but for competition I use a 6 B.R. a lot for competition.>>> maybe you should quit shooting deer on baited stands and learn to hike and hunt deer like a real hunter does ?

Or you could just not worry about an extra 5-10 pounds on your 1-2 mile hike to your deer stand. smile

Really didn't mind the extra 10 pounds hauling the 15 pounder to the old "deer" stand here or anywhere else this fall. For true backpack based hunts where I live with everything on my back then sure a 6-8 pound rifle is nicer, but I don't get too wrapped around the handle for rifle weight anymore, especially for day hunts.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
LOL, was that a one, or two-mile hike? And what were you using for bait in the feeder??

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I think he went 2 miles and is using grasshoppers for bait.

OH by the way my long range rifle weighs 13 lbs. 338 lapau all custom and with a 8-32x56 nightforce scope,including ammo , bi-pod too,and this rifle can get the job done.rifle was built by a machinist who builds rifles that have won 1000 yard national titles and also does custom work for a ammo company too,he`s one of the best !

Last edited by pete53; 08/01/18.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

OH by the way my long range rifle weighs 13 lbs. 338 lapau all custom and with a 8-32x56 nightforce scope,including ammo , bi-pod too,and this rifle can get the job done.rifle was built by a machinist who builds rifles that have won 1000 yard national titles and also does custom work for a ammo company too,he`s one of the best !

Sweet!!

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A

Willing to share his name?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
he`s one of the best !

And we've come to expect no less from you.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

here`s the number of a machinist who does some excellent work when he re-barrels a rifle,some of the top benchrest shooter`s like his work. 320-272-4897 Greg Walstrom

If it's Greg, I'll vouch for him all day long......

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by aalf
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

here`s the number of a machinist who does some excellent work when he re-barrels a rifle,some of the top benchrest shooter`s like his work. 320-272-4897 Greg Walstrom

If it's Greg, I'll vouch for him all day long......

yes it was Greg Walstrom > straight line machine< 320 -272-4897 Jerry Simonson when this great benchrest barrel machinist was alive showed Greg a few tricks too !

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by Paul4
Thank you for all of the replies and opinions. I’m going to look into several of them. My local range does go past 1000 yrds but I’m only comfortable to 600 yards now. I’ve spent a lot of money on the proper equipment and now want to learn to use it to its full potential. I didn’t draw any tags and decided I would like to put some of the time and money I saved towards a class to improve and learn to use the equipment.

So you'r comfortable to 600 yards.
And your range goes to 1000.
You've got the guns and scopes.
Have you ever considered just putting up a target at 1000 yds, add more clicks on the scope, and just shoot?
If you feel you need help, ask a friend to spot hits for you.
Put some clay birds on the dirt near the target and zero in on those first. Actually they can be more fun anyway.
After about 3 trips to the range you will be ready to offer lessons. lol

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yes it was Greg Walstrom > straight line machine< 320 -272-4897 Jerry Simison when this great benchrest barrel machinist was alive showed Greg a few tricks too !

I used to shoot with Jerry back in the day. He did most of my work when he was alive. I am currently shooting a Dasher barrel he chambered, and still have one of the last ones he ever did waiting in the wings.

Greg was a machinist first, and Jerry taught him the ins and outs of chambering barrels.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Greg already knew how chamber rifles, but Jerry had some secret accuracy solutions that only Greg got to learn from Jerry because they got to be good friends.Greg is not your standard machinist guy, you would have to go to his one man shop and see his work to understand his ability. Greg has done a lot of medical proto type stuff for engineers in the medical field too ,many machinist who shoot rifles have Greg do the barrel work for them also,that`s how good he is as a machinist. actually I introduced Greg to Jerry I was lucky I got to know Jerry when we shot 100-200 yard matches and Jerry was a super guy to be around.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by yobuck

Have you ever considered just putting up a target at 1000 yds, add more clicks on the scope, and just shoot?
Put some clay birds on the dirt near the target and zero in on those first. Actually they can be more fun anyway.

yes what this gentleman posted is a great ideal ,myself I have always enjoyed those clay targets at 1000 yds ! good post ! Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 08/02/18.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche

Or you could just not worry about an extra 5-10 pounds on your 1-2 mile hike to your deer stand. smile

Really didn't mind the extra 10 pounds hauling the 15 pounder to the old "deer" stand here or anywhere else this fall. For true backpack based hunts where I live with everything on my back then sure a 6-8 pound rifle is nicer, but I don't get too wrapped around the handle for rifle weight anymore, especially for day hunts.

[Linked Image]

Awesome picture! I thought my hunting environment was an ass kicker...Not even close. Humbling, actually. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by yobuck

Hiviz clays are a lot of fun and way lighter than hauling out steel. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Come here...and I'll teach ya for just a good ribeye steak and a couple Flying Tiger Amber beers!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
[quote=pete53]

A 'real hunter'! Dude....at 78 years age I got more time wiping my a rse in the woods than you'll ever spend hunting! Your story is akin to "yeah...when I was little I had to walk ten miles to school through a snow storm every morning"! More BS!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Right.

I taught myself.

I did pass.

I'm going to be in trouble now.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
[quote=pete53]

A 'real hunter'! Dude....at 78 years age I got more time wiping my a rse in the woods than you'll ever spend hunting! Your story is akin to "yeah...when I was little I had to walk ten miles to school through a snow storm every morning"! More BS!

yep thats funny ! keep wipe`n your butt.

Last edited by pete53; 10/10/18.

P
Paul4 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Update; I had to postpone the class last year as a bison hunt came available and I did that instead. I just completed the level 1 class at the nra Whittington center and had a great time and learned a lot. I was comfortable shooting to 600 yards and had hunting experience to 585 prior to class. I left class comfortably and consistently shooting 1200 yards. No I will not take shots at that distance at game as I quickly learned that variables change quickly that will affect results at that distance and I have a lot to practice in reading wind and affect of changing weather. The class was 3 days with day 1 being classroom and range time days 2 and 3. There are 3 levels of this course then masters classes if someone really wanted to do extreme long range. The same instructor does all of the classes and was very helpful and able to adjust to skill level of all shooters in the class of 10. The range goes to 2 miles and is the location of the king of 2 miles event. We were limited to 1200 yards but day 3 were able to stretch to the other targets if able. The goal ( expectation) was to maintain 1 moa at all targets engaged and for me 1200 yards was my limit. Getting lucky and lobbying a round at at the Target was not satisfactory you had to have 3 consecutive hits within the 1 moa expectation to move on. Range went from 100 yards on out. Overall I enjoyed the class and learned how to use my equipment as well as learned the limitations of myself and my equipment ie a light weight hunting rifle is not an ideal long range tool.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Most important lesson..learning when NOT to shoot.

Sounds like you have a place to practice what you`ve learned...do that as much as you can.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Wolf Precision Shooting school in Somerset Pa. Jamie Dodson runs a great course. He now supplies all the rifles and ammo, suppressed 6.5 Creeds built by him and Kahles scopes.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[quote=alaska_lanche]

[Linked Image]

I love this picture.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

If that’s what Holiday Inns in Colorado look like, book me a room for three weeks.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

421 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 39 invisible), 2,006 guests, and 1,091 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,746
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.