Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I have found that WSR primers and TAC are the best combo. I switched primers from Rem 7.5's to WSR one time tuning a load and noted a 45fps speed increase in addition to a reduction in extreme spread from 60fps to 17-21fps.

It was kind of like getting laid and losing a bunch of weight.

I found the Winchester primers to be better with a couple of types of powders too. Just not night and day better like TAC.

Disclaimer: I have not tried every primer, powder and case fill volume combo. Far far far from what the industry has to offer as a matter of fact.

I have also found that powder burn rate vs bullet weight vs gas system length can have a serious effect on what people call clean burning powder or not. 1 could use a carbine length gas system shooting light bullets and report to the world that TAC is dirty and gets the bolt carrier and receiver all gummed up in 40 rounds. The other fella could have a MK12 with a rifle length system and shoot 77's and say it burns clean as ever.

As far as barrels fouling and dirty powders.... I believe the smoothness/quality of the barrel due to lack of places for fouling to hide is the cause of that more than powder type.

This stuff all matters. If your barrel is fouled when you go to try a new powder your test will be skewed.

When you clean the barrel down to bare metal it can take between 5 - 20 rounds to get "seasoned" again. If you do your test in this window your tests will be skewed again. Good smooth newer barrels take just a few rounds.

Crap barrels can take 20 rounds to season and then another 15 and they are fouled.

Good barrels with high round counts need more also to fill in the rough spots with copper

Blah Blah Blah.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've grown fond of RL-7 with a 40g NBT for most if not all of my .223 varmint/hunting apps lately. Some guy with the initials of Seafire has done some great testing with this combo.

The AR-15 rounds are usually 50-55g with a host of good powders available as has been mentioned above.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I must write these down when I get home.. Due for a resupply on .223 powder..

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calif. Hunter
Exterminator is great, but TAC is a bit more versatile, working in my .358 Win and other calibers. If I recall correctly, Exterminator is better in some ways than TAC for the 50 gr and under bullets in particular.

This ^^

X-Terminator for 55 gr. and under for best velocities and accuracy. TAC for 60 gr. and above. Both meter like water, great powders.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I must write these down when I get home.. Due for a resupply on .223 powder..

As somebody mentioned TAC is nice and versatile, but I find CFE223 even more so....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
[Linked Image]

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I keep trying different powders and finding they all work well. Oh the Horror! crazy

I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that the .223 should be added to JB's comment on the .308: It will shoot well loaded with double-base horse manure.

Latest is 8208 XBR with 40 gr.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've always said.. its harder to find a powder that isn't accurate in the 223, then it is to find one that
seems to be better than all the rest....

just about anything one tries will work well in a 223, for accuracy...

if it doesn't.. its not the powder, or the round.. you'd better be checking out what's wrong with your barrel.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
...or yourself.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know it's not the fastest and I know it's not the most explosive on PD's, but I use 24.9 grs. Varget with a 63 gr Sierra SMP. It's accurate in my RAR Preditor 223 and PD's have died from this combination.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
ya know that's a good deer load for the 223 Randy.....

24 grains of H 322, and a Speer 70 gr SMP is even better....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Oldman03
I know it's not the fastest and I know it's not the most explosive on PD's, but I use 24.9 grs. Varget with a 63 gr Sierra SMP. It's accurate in my RAR Preditor 223 and PD's have died from this combination.

Bigger stuff than PDs have died from the Sierra 63SMP....hint....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Gee Tom,

those are some big ugly and hairy prairie dogs....

that spotted one kinda resembles Hillary a lot...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ingwe

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

that's a pretty rifle. What caliber is it?

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by Seafire

Seafire,

If you would be so kind?

What velocity did you get with that combo at what temp and altitude? And how long was the barrel?

I have a bunch of 70gr Speers that are on deck right now. I have been pulling my hair out deciding which powder to try first.

Thanks!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I guess that I probably have too many 223's and I use many of the powders mentioned above, Benchmark, TAC,Varget, 8208XBR etc. But I had a Quest a couple years ago to see if I could make my favorite 223 shoot as good as my favorite 222. after many trips to the range and even loading at the range my favorite combo is 50gr Blitzkings pushed along by a 205 and N133

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by aklaunch

Seafire,

If you would be so kind?

What velocity did you get with that combo at what temp and altitude? And how long was the barrel?

I have a bunch of 70gr Speers that are on deck right now. I have been pulling my hair out deciding which powder to try first.

Thanks!

Actually AK....

I've taken multiple blacktail with that bullet here in Oregon.. each one a bang flop with good bullet placement.

I've used two loads... 24 grains of H 322, or 28 grains of H 380...

MV for either was a hair over 2900 fps.(IIRC), with the 1200 to 2000 ft altitude range.

The barrel was 22 inches, 1 in 12 twist.. Model 70 Featherweight

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 79inpa
Originally Posted by ingwe

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

that's a pretty rifle. What caliber is it?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Gee Tom,

those are some big ugly and hairy prairie dogs....

that spotted one kinda resembles Hillary a lot...

Odd you mention Hillary...that pig knew her and had some dirt on her..

The pig reportedly committed suicide by shooting itself in the head from 100 yards....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
AA2230. Load similar to Benchmark up to 26 with a 55 grn V Max.

kwg

Last edited by kwg020; 06/10/18.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

321 members (01Foreman400, 1lesfox, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 12344mag, 28 invisible), 1,870 guests, and 966 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,601
Posts18,454,644
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.