Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
HE112 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I, as well as others I have read online are reluctant to purchase Smith and Wesson revolvers with the "Hilary Hole" (side safety hole near the hammer) as it can jam the gun if using hot loads in a light framed gun, and it looks bad too. The older guns are more in demand from this as they don't have the aesthetic issues, I cannot understand why Smith and Wesson continues to insult their customers with this useless Clinton inspired thing?

From my experience in the American business world the last 30 years there is a lot of stupidity in the corporate realm. Anyone have an insight as to why S/W wants to loose money with this bogus safety device? I am to the point where I won't buy any of their products out of principle due to the revolver issue. I had a J frame .38 special revolver with 2" barrel about 10 years ago, and while it shot OK with regular loads I hated that hole and sold it. The so-called safety also was scratching the side of the hammer.

Thanks.

Last edited by HE112; 06/09/18.
GB1

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HE112
I, as well as others I have read online are reluctant to purchase Smith and Wesson revolvers with the "Hilary Hole" (side safety hole near the hammer) as it can jam the gun if using hot loads in a light framed gun, and it looks bad too. The older guns are more in demand from this as they don't have the aesthetic issues, I cannot understand why Smith and Wesson continues to insult their customers with this useless Clinton inspired thing?

From my experience in the American business world the last 30 years there is a lot of stupidity in the corporate realm. Anyone have an insight as to why S/W wants to loose money with this bogus safety device? I am to the point where I won't buy any of their products out of principle due to the revolver issue. I had a J frame .38 special revolver with 2" barrel about 10 years ago, and while it shot OK with regular loads I hated that hole and sold it. The so-called safety also was scratching the side of the hammer.

Thanks.

When I read the title of this thread "Hilary Hole in Smith and Wesson revolvers", for some reason I pictured a large gaping hole...

[Linked Image]

John

Last edited by jpb; 06/09/18.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
TFF

Never heard that reference...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Hillary hole!

Attached Images
best target.jpg (75.83 KB, 91 downloads)
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
HE112: I attended a gunshow in Montana last week. Maybe 150 - 200 tables?
Anyway every single "hillary holed" Smith & Wesson revolver offered for sale there was turned on the side to "hide" the "hillary hole"!
I have been noticing this "trend" with "hillary holed" Smith & Wessons for some time now.
I agree with you completely and am dumbfounded as to why Smith & Wesson made this mistake?
I am an avid Smith & Wesson revolver shooter, collector and investor but I would not even consider buying (investing in!) a "hillary holed" Smith & Wesson revolver.
Talk amongst Smith & Wesson collectors I know and deal with mirrors your and my sentiments.
In the myriads of gunshops I tour I notice Smith & Wesson revolvers in calibers and configurations with the "hillary hole" and those guns sit and sit and sit in the shops!
And in most of those shops the Smith & Wesson revolvers with "hillary holes" are presented almost exclusively with the "hillary hole" initially out of sight.
One shop I frequent has had a Smith & Wesson Model 48 (caliber 22 Magnum) on display (with "hillary hole" covered!) for over a year - that pistol, prior to the "hillary hole" debacle, would have been sold in a week!
I am not saying the "hillary holed" Smith & Wesson revolvers don't function as well as older Smith & Wesson revolvers do - I don't know and don't care!
I will never own/invest in a "hillary holed" Smith & Wesson revolver.
At least the folks at Big Green were smart enough to observe and react correctly to the significant drop in sales of their "J-lock" (hillary holed!) Remington 700's!
Nope I have no "insights" as to why the folks at Smith & Wesson made such an idiotic decision nor whether they are smart enough to correct same.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am a shooter, not an appearance driven collector.
I would plug the hole and rock the beotichh.

That's the gun.

The ugly Beotichh, can rock herself.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Over on the S&W Forums I started a thread: "The IL...just can't get past the hole." It ended up with hundreds of posts and the mods locked it and made it a sticky. A few years later they instituted the no griping policy and decided that since my thread was the biggest gripe of all they deleted it. As to where The Hole came from, IIRC S&W was owned by a British owned holding company. They were the ones who caved to Klinton pressure to install a "storage lock" (the IL has nothing to do with the safe operation). Shortly thereafter they sold the company.

Funny that none of their semis have ILs...

Last count I have 46 S&Ws of which only two have The Hole. The only reason I have them is that these calibers were not made before The Hole...a 686-7 .38 Super and a 500 S&W 4". I've had three .41s, a 58-1, 357PD and a 357NG and sold all of them.

In the last two years I've bought seven Ruger DA revolvers. I am planning 2-3 more this year... Zero money will be going to S&W.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
While the IL can be worked around, I don't care for it. All my S&W revolvers are pre-IL and if I felt the need for another S&W wheelgun I would most look around until I found an older gun that suited me. Not saying I'll never own a new IL gun, but if I did I would plug the gap first thing. That's just me being an old hard head.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wouldn't mind plugging the lock hole if you could somehow delete the "L" and the arrow. They make plenty of models without the lock - so why can't they make ALL of them without one...or give the buyer an option of one with or without like they do on the model 642?

Last edited by Triggernosis; 06/09/18.
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have some lock and some non lock. Prefer the latter but I don’t lay awake at night.

NRA Patron
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I rid myself of all twelve of my Smith’s save one, my 460 XVR.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 357Carbine

Thank you for posting this.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I don't like them. Having said that I have owed several and have never had an issue with one. Two still in the house, Wife's Model 60 which she really likes. With full power 357 magnums that thing is nasty.. No issues with the lock. The other is my woods carry revolver a 357PD in 41 Magnum. Again very lite pistol with a high power load, no issues with the lock. It would be nice if S&W just did away with them.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Between the optimist and the pessimist, the difference is droll.
The optimist sees the S&W Revolver; the pessimist the hole!

<> https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/smith-and-Wesson-internal-lock/ <>

The S&W Internal Lock
- by Chris Baker

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
P Weed: Well there sure appears to be a lot of people who are pessimistic about the "hillary hole" - including the folks who wrote the article you linked to!
First paragraph of your linked to article:

"Every company makes mistakes. Firearms manufacturers are no stranger to this truth because shooters are arguably among the most vocal hobbyists when it comes to pointing out what they perceive to be mistakes made by the companies that feed their habit. And one of the biggest perceived “mistakes” in the firearms industry in recent memory was the addition of the internal lock on all Smith & Wesson revolvers".

Call me a "pessimist" if you want but that does NOT negate the fact that the presence of the "hillary hole" has diminished the desirability and appeal of Smith & Wesson revolvers to many firearms enthusiasts!
Including me.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
They still make some models without the hole, which makes the reasoning harder to figure. Here's my recently purchased (factory new) Model 442, sans Hillary Hole. With this model, it's an option to get one with or without the hole, buyer's choice. I have to think that the only people who buy the ones with the hole aren't aware that not having it is an option.

[Linked Image]

If they can sell these with the no hole option, why not all other models, too? I guess they consider the double-action-only feature to be safe enough for the masses without a key lock.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
TRH,
Are those factory grips?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MOGC
TRH,
Are those factory grips?

No, aftermarket. Nice grain, right?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, they look really nice. Clean checkering also.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

93 members (AnthonyB, 35, 7x57Hunter, AGL4now, 160user, 41rem, 12 invisible), 970 guests, and 730 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,221
Posts18,447,502
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.