Hop To
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Originally Posted by GoForBroke
Do you have any trouble seeing rats with that 1-6X? If you get a 4-14X I'd be interested to see how you compare the glass to your SWFA 12X.

Probably good enough for Democ-rats

LOL oh well "can't we all just get along?" LOL. Be happy you're in Tri cities and not over in Seattle. When I was in LE/ Mil. outside sales I'd stop by SPD's training center and there would be hypodermic needles all over the parking lot. I was always happy to head east towards you all while traveling to MT.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
what scope are you using goforbroke? what ammo?

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
When I made the headshot I just finished assembling my M4 and had a cheesy Bushnell Banner Scopechief on it. I got it on trade and was the only spare scope I had. My handloads using once fired Federal brass I got from the range, Nosler 2nds 55gr BT under some TAC. I swapped that scope off and had a Zeiss Conquest 1.8-5.5x32mm on there afterwards. I just sold that scope last week and am considering the PA 1-6X for the M4. I have a Nikon 4-12X Mildot on the HBAR right now. My load is 50gr VMAX under TAC or H4895. I might try H322 or H355. I'll be shooting the 53gr VMAX latter this season as the rats get more wary.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I just noticed the "secure pictures" instructions. I take it that's how you all post pictures?

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
GoForBroke,

The 7.62x39 has the PA 3X Prism sight with the ACSS reticle calibrated for the 7.62x39 out to 600 yards.

Mine has been feeding flawlessly. I'm using the ASC 20 round magazines.

My odometer just rolled over to 58. No doubt the eyes start to show their age.

How many rounds do you have through the 7.62 x 39 AR now? Its an intriguing project with the inexpensive ammo prices at 18 cents a round. You just got the PSA upper and put it on a std lower correct?

Yes a PSA upper. I have around 600 rounds or so through mine. Never hiccup'd.

From what I learned doing some research before diving into the 7.62x39 AR-15, there are two likely problem areas one may run into.

1 - Light firing pin strikes causing failure to fire. The fix is twofold. First you need a heavy hammer strike, so milspec trigger is one way to assure that. Secondly, some x39 ammo has hard primers that are sometimes seated a tad below flush. The fix for that is an "enhanced" firing pin. The enhancement is that it is a bit longer. The PSA upper comes with the BCG/CH, and already has the enhanced firing pin in it.

2 - Magazine troubles, failure to feed. Sometimes this is nothing more than people using 223/5.56 magazines, and of course they fail if loaded with more than 4-5 rounds. The fix I read mostly was to go with ASC magazines, in particular the 20 rounders. I have a couple of the ASC-20's, they have been flawless. I did buy a couple 10-round AR-Stoner magazines from Midway, and the followers are marked ASC. I don't know if ASC makes them for AR-Stoner, but they have worked fine too.

So, in a nutshell, you want an enhanced firing pin, milspec trigger, and ASC 20round mags.

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I just noticed the "secure pictures" instructions. I take it that's how you all post pictures?

I'm just using the Imgur default BB Code. It does start off with https.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G

I'm just using the Imgur default BB Code. It does start off with https.

I feel so old lol. That's all Greek to me. I'll google it lol.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I can't explain it further than that either. Just the standard code from photobucket or imgur is what I use.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I figured these things out by using a time-tested training method learned in the Marine Corps. It's called 'knob-dicking'.

Basically push every button to see what works and what doesn't....then try to remember which one it was that got the desired result......grin.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I figured these things out by using a time-tested training method learned in the Marine Corps. It's called 'knob-dicking'.

Basically push every button to see what works and what doesn't....then try to remember which one it was that got the desired result......grin.

LOL, well if it ain't broke don't fix it. I guess I'll have to try that technique. Thanks, John

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
On a different note, spring is definitely here. It's snowing this morning....

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
On a different note, spring is definitely here. It's snowing this morning....

I miss my stops in Montana. Truly God's country. My buddies in Bend had snow this week. I'm on the border of Oregon/ Idaho and we're going to have 70 degree temps this week. And the sage rat babies are just starting to show up. Crappies are starting to show up too, tough decisions to make here soon smile

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Sounds nice. Supposed hit 71 here this Friday.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by jimmyp
GoForBroke,

The 7.62x39 has the PA 3X Prism sight with the ACSS reticle calibrated for the 7.62x39 out to 600 yards.

Mine has been feeding flawlessly. I'm using the ASC 20 round magazines.

My odometer just rolled over to 58. No doubt the eyes start to show their age.

How many rounds do you have through the 7.62 x 39 AR now? Its an intriguing project with the inexpensive ammo prices at 18 cents a round. You just got the PSA upper and put it on a std lower correct?

Yes a PSA upper. I have around 600 rounds or so through mine. Never hiccup'd.

From what I learned doing some research before diving into the 7.62x39 AR-15, there are two likely problem areas one may run into.

1 - Light firing pin strikes causing failure to fire. The fix is twofold. First you need a heavy hammer strike, so milspec trigger is one way to assure that. Secondly, some x39 ammo has hard primers that are sometimes seated a tad below flush. The fix for that is an "enhanced" firing pin. The enhancement is that it is a bit longer. The PSA upper comes with the BCG/CH, and already has the enhanced firing pin in it.

2 - Magazine troubles, failure to feed. Sometimes this is nothing more than people using 223/5.56 magazines, and of course they fail if loaded with more than 4-5 rounds. The fix I read mostly was to go with ASC magazines, in particular the 20 rounders. I have a couple of the ASC-20's, they have been flawless. I did buy a couple 10-round AR-Stoner magazines from Midway, and the followers are marked ASC. I don't know if ASC makes them for AR-Stoner, but they have worked fine too.

So, in a nutshell, you want an enhanced firing pin, milspec trigger, and ASC 20round mags.

A couple other things,

I'm running a H3 buffer also. It worked with the standard buffer, but I could feel it thumping the back of the extension tube pretty good. The H3 smoothed it out.

Also I put the UTG Pro quad rail handguards on the upper.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
MontanaMarine good information and the price is decent on the PSA upper. I wonder how many you would get down the nitrided tube before any significant wear from the mild steel bullets would be a problem?

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I don't know, I'd imagine it would take many thousand. Supposedly the nitride hardens steel considerably.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
A new barrel from PSA is only $99. I believe Midway offers similar for even less.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/oem-ar47-7-62x39-16-hvy-barrel-1-10-nitride-barrel.html

It will cost a whole lot more to wear one out, than to replace it.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I figured you all might be interested in this sale. https://www.primaryarms.com/primary...7-62x39-reticle-pa1-6x24sfp-acss-300bo_2

Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 10ring1, 65 invisible), 3,067 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,340
Posts18,468,698
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.