Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I'm probably going to work up some handloads this winter and see if I can get a 125 or 150gr SST or Ballistic Tip to shoot consistently under 2 moa.

GB1

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I'd think the 150gr Silvertips would be great at 100 yards on game. The only question marks would be accuracy and feeding.

i'll recommend a Hornaday bullet #3142 123 v-max h355 powder

Last edited by misser; 11/15/18.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I'm probably going to work up some handloads this winter and see if I can get a 125 or 150gr SST or Ballistic Tip to shoot consistently under 2 moa.

No clue what the nephew uses on his model one sales upper, but its 125 BTs and I've taken coyotes out close to 500 with it. And deer, pigs, javelina closer. I've not shot it hard on paper off bags, but I've checked zero and shot enough stuff to know that the 125 works at that speed and must be fairly accurate.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I'll probably try RL-7 for powder, since I use that in the 45-70 already. 125gr BT looks like a good bullet to try out.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The slower speeds help it act like a normal bullet RE expansion

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Palmetto has these uppers on sale for Cyber Monday......$229.99.....placed my order as soon as I got the e-mail.

I intend to try some of the 150 grain Win silver tip flat nose bullets I mentioned earlier in the thread and see how they shoot out of this upper. If they show decent accuracy, I'll try them on pigs.

Cancer Sucks
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Last edited by David_Walter; 11/26/18.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's the one.

Cancer Sucks
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Hard to think of a better rifle for pigs.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not really.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I like that black tipped Barnes with 20 grains of H110. The only case I can make for it is that it makes a bigger hole.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Not really.

C'mon Dan! I ain't talking about using commie ball! laugh

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I know that. CB Shorts rock. They don't hurt ears, have any recoil and kill chitt dead. Assuming one can hit what they need to hit of course. Cheaper than commie crap, easier to carry a wad of them too.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Made in America, killing foreign invaders for a long time.

They don't scare the herd away on the first shot. Nope. All the brothers and sisters pause and ask themselves "WTH?" And then they die as well. Most I ever did at one setting was 5. Two grown ups and three kids. Yeah, that rig is a monster.

I have a few other favorites as well, take your pick.

[Linked Image]

My personal favorites have lead bullets, YMMV.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
And all of this 7.62x39 hate is because someone shot at you once while I n a helicopter and the round didn’t hit you or deform because it was metal core?

I’m not following your argument that a 22 is more effective than a 7.62x39 against pigs.....

John Stark.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dave, you aren't really that simple minded.

How many pigs have you whacked? You really think it takes an AK round to kill one?

Hate is such a strong word. I think the round is a joke and there are many better alternatives. But if you want to shoot it, be my guest.

Once? Ha! You're a comedian too ? For future reference I never brought a chopper home with more than 176 bullet holes.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Zero pigs, so I may be way off base.

Not trying to be offensive. I understand and respect your service.

John Stark.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Dave, you aren't really that simple minded.

For future reference I never brought a chopper home with more than 176 bullet holes.

I call bullshit on this. I have worked on Helicopters for nearly 30 years. I have flown in helicopters in combat missions. I have seen Helicopters hit by small arms fire, I have also repaired them. 176 rounds to one Helicopter is going to mean at the very least one catastrophic hit statistically. I am going to assume your so called experience was in Vietnam. Which now ups the likely hood of great catastrophic hits. I have seen some pretty shot up helicopters most of them belonging to the 160th. Not one was even close to 176 rounds in it. 176 rounds into even the largest of Helicopter cabins CH53 would result in casualties and more likely deaths. Not to mention bringing the aircraft down. Not saying you haven't been shot at or in fact hit, however I have a very hard time believing 176 times.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Call it what you wish. If I gave a chitt what you think I'd pull the pics and post them. I don't. The only systems still working on the bird were the power plant, drive train (perforated) and rotors (perforated). It was scrapped as non-repairable. None of the 6 on board were wounded which was a miracle in it's own right. Probability is just that and nothing more.

I am..........disturbed.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Call it what you wish. If I gave a chitt what you think I'd pull the pics and post them. I don't. The only systems still working on the bird were the power plant, drive train (perforated) and rotors (perforated). It was scrapped as non-repairable. None of the 6 on board were wounded which was a miracle in it's own right. Probability is just that and nothing more.

Thats the typical response of someone full of chit. What is the AC's data tag number. I'll look it up. Single engine Huey, 176 small arms rounds impacted on a Huey with six onboard and losing all but drivetrain and power plant, not one person hit is impossible. You lost all comm/Nav and nobody took a hit? Haha you have been watching to many movies. The aircraft was scraped because of repairable small arms fire damage. Hmmm we have these really nifty things called Cabin and Tailboom fixtures. Hueys were originally designed to be thrown away but they soon realized how cost effective and easy it is to rebuild them. I have rebuilt a few from Colombia that have seen some serious damage. They were trucked to Guaymaral were we rebuilt them. Also Worked on the Hawk that struck a landmine on the mountain the FARC cleaned the landing spot for. Google Colombia Blackhawk hit by land mine you can see the video.

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 11/28/18.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Not sure how to get the pictures from the gallery to hear. But as you can see in the gallery. This trip down to Colombia was for a few 308 Beam repairs. Have also done A to L conversions.

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (10gaugemag, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 53 invisible), 2,361 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,326
Posts18,468,495
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.