Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I sold my SKS many years ago and always wanted another 7.62x39 for budget-friendly fun shooting.

So I ordered one of the uppers from PSA. Seemed like a pretty fair deal for $279 shipped, with charging handle, bolt carrier group, and the enhanced firing pin. Still, it was with a little trepidation that I ordered this upper, since I had done a fair amount of online research and not all the results are glowing.

I put the upper on a lower I pulled off another rifle. Trigger group is all milspec. I opted the rifle buffer/recoil system as I figured that has to be the easiest on the bolt, and there are stories out there of broken off lugs.

I didn't do any serious accuracy work today, as the weather is kind of blustery. Mainly I just wanted to do a function check on the rifle/magazines/ammo.

Magazines are AR-Stoner from Midway. I have a couple 30-rounders on backorder, and the 10-rounders that were in stock. These are marked ASC on the follower.

Ammo is Tula 124gr FMJ from PSA.

First test was one round in the magazine to check bolt lockback on the last round. That worked fine.

Second test was a full 10 round magazine for feeding and other function. I only put 9 rounds in the magazine as it got really stiff on the last round. But everything functioned 100%.

I put a box at 50 yards for a target, and shot sitting on my butt, leaning back against the truck tire, elbows on knees. Not real stable in the 10-25 mph wind, but I did my best and put a rough 50/200 yard zero on the scope. After zeroing I busted some cantaloupe sized rocks out around 200 yards..

Later I'll get it out with a bipod and do some tangible accuracy testing at 100 yards with 124gr FMJ, and the 154gr soft point.

Here's a pic of my rig, target, ammo.

[Linked Image]

I gotta say, I did have fun. The 100% functioning, and the thump of the 7.62x39 put a grin on my face.

If you are shooting 7.62x39, in AR, AK, SKS, boltgun, or....?, feel free to share here.

GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Nice pig rifle.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
[Linked Image]
Fugg it ... ain't been on AR forum in awhile.
Have put 60 rds of tula 122 gr hp thru it.
Ran like a sewing machine and was on with confidence out to 40- 50 yds offhand.

No more bimetal jacketed stuff for it.
Gotta chromoly green mountain barrel
Bought 250 rds of hornady 123 gr sst for it.
Gotta get it zeroed to those and buy 1 box of 50 a month with my starting cushion of
150 in reserve.
Squirrel up 500- 750 rds for it .
Shoot about 200 ish thru it per year.
Keep it clean and lubed.
No need to run a reliable machine into the ground just cause
ya can. JMO....

[Linked Image]
With one of 3 new Croatian BHO mags.
Copy of yugo BHO mags
But that country don't exist anymore.

Last edited by renegade50; 06/11/18.
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
That's a nice looking AKM.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
nice AK!
back on thread, I put a 7.62x39 together about a year ago and it is my beside the bed weapon. shoots just like yours Montana Marine.
i have ASC mags for it but regular ar mags work if you only load 10 or less.
what is it about the 7.62x39 that makes us smile? just does even though it drags up old memories.
mine shoots .308 just as well as .310's or maybe even better. 150's are the heaviest i have loaded mainly due to length. it shoots 150's into 2 inches benched.
all in all one of my favorite rifles even though my SKS will out shoot it.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
MM.. I put together a Daytona Tactical 762x39 a while back. I use ASC 10’s and it has gobbled up every single round I’ve fed it. I don’t hammer on my AR’s very hard but this one is the exception.
It’s had 800 rounds thru it in a day without anything but a few drops here and there on the bolt.
The only modification I did, which was expected was to change out the trigger springs to work with the harder imported primers.
It has not missed a beat and yes for some reason it do induce the grins

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Love mine as well---Oly model

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I too have a lotta love for the 7.62x39 cartridge.

The Cadillac. Arsenal SLR107 folder. Upgraded trigger to ALG AKT. Primary Arms 1-6x24 w/7.62x39 ACSS scope.
[Linked Image]

The Beast. Custom built for me by Chris Horn in AZ about 13-14 yrs ago, who now gunsmiths for Gary Reeder. Can bounce beer cans across the ground at 75 yds with iron sights. You wouldn't complain if you got handed this rifle to fend off any zombies in your zipcode.
[Linked Image]

Also have a WASR-10 that is proving impossible to dig the photo out of photobucket.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by local_dirt
.... Primary Arms 1-6x24 w/7.62x39 ACSS scope.....

Nice.

How are you liking the scope? I've been eyeing that one myself.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I need to get that alg trigger and check it out.

Been looking at em online and install vids also.

Prices from 50 - 65 range

Definately want something with a shorter reset

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
.... Primary Arms 1-6x24 w/7.62x39 ACSS scope.....

Nice.

How are you liking the scope? I've been eyeing that one myself.

I like the main tree a lot. Don't use the side ladder. IMO, that's more of a combat ranging feature.

Most people are surprised by the sharpness and clarity for a $289 scope.

Overall, I've been impressed with Primary Arms. May get one of their red dots for The Beast down the road.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by renegade50
I need to get that alg trigger and check it out.

Been looking at em online and install vids also.

Prices from 50 - 65 range

Definately want something with a shorter reset

Go for it. You won't be sorry. I've actually tried them on a few other guns just to make sure they were consistent, and they are.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I've got the 5X prism sight from Primary Arms on a 5.56. I like that ASCC reticle too, very accurate with M855 ammo.

The 1-6x24 looks pretty versatile.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There was some scuttlebutt about them coming out with a 1-8x24 for the 7.62x39, as they did for the 5.56/.308. Appears that was only scuttlebutt.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey Shane,

Was at Hellers a few weeks ago and he is running a 7.62x39 as well. We have put several hundred rounds through it and I hate to say it but im really impressed by the old Russian round. I actually find it more pleasant to shoot with more thump,and less muzzle blast. Have fun!

Semper Fi

Scott

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Hey Scott, that's kinda cool, I didn't know Mike shot the 7.62x39...…..the preferred weapon of our enemy.....grin.

I also noticed the reduced muzzle blast compared to 5.56.

Semper Fi, and say hi to Mike (I see him now and then on FB).

Shane

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
If I wanted a 7.62x39 platform, I would really look at the PTR version. It uses AK mags.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have tried 2 AK and 1 Sks did not like the ergo’s. If folks have got AR’s in 7.62 x 39 running reliably that site sounds great

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
If I wanted a 7.62x39 platform, I would really look at the PTR version. It uses AK mags.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I held onto my old Arsenal SA93. Some time back, I added KVar furniture, an Ultimak rail, DocterOptic dot sight and a Surefire white light. My son keeps it out at his property for a 'bump in the night' weapon. It's accurate, dead nuts reliable.
[Linked Image]

I am also shooting a Ruger American Ranch Rifle in 7.62x39. I like it a lot.

Sam......

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
here is my CBC AR 762x39
whole kit for $350? minus the stripped lower. they are having sale right now for 319 for everything but the lower.
[Linked Image]

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Dammm
That is a great deal for sure.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Nice looking rig there, Dre.

Looks like a nice deal on that package.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thank you thank you.
I think the quality is excellent for the money.
I just ordered a new 556 from them. https://www.cbcindustries.com/colle...r-15-buttstock-kit-ar-15-lower-parts-kit
My dpms tpr with 20” is little too much weight to be a fun plinking gun.
They have 300 BO for same price, but I’m sure they’d work with you if you wanted 76239

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thats not bad, I don't see normal 223 for PSA often much below 300 for basically a similar kit.

If I wasn't short one more RMR and 2 new Glock barrels I"d jump all over that.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dre
here is my CBC AR 762x39
whole kit for $350? minus the stripped lower. they are having sale right now for 319 for everything but the lower.
[Linked Image]

Very nice Dre. I shot against a guy today, in an AR shoot, and he was sporting a real nice 7.62x39 AR15. Very cool rifle. His is quite accurate as well. No hiccups during today's shoot either. You'll have to let us know how well it shoots for you. My buddy says his "shoots better than he does". I believe he bought his as a package deal from model 1 sales. I guess he bought his upper for around $300.00 "on sale". Not bad for a great shooting rifle upper...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks bud!
CBC has 10% off today. Code “Dad10” and free shipping.
She shoots good for the only one time I had her out to sight the scope in.
No jambs or anything using cheap ammo.
Like I said before the quality is great for the money

Last edited by Dre; 06/17/18.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Did some 100 yard accuracy testing today. Tried two ammo types. Tula 124gr FMJ, and Tula 154gr SP. Both were about the same 3-4 inches at 100 yards.

Conditions were: temp 70F, winds 5-20 mph from 6 o'clock. Winds were wobbling my shooting bench a bit, those groups might be an inch or so smaller off a concrete bench or from the ground. The grass was too much for me to get on the ground though, I wouldn't have seen my target.

At this point I'm enjoying this rifle. I took it out to 600 yards on some rocks. The difference is that normally with the 308 I'd be shooting at grapefruit-size rocks at 600. With this 7.62x39 I'm shooting at rocks the size of a mini-fridge at 600...….grin

The rifle functioned 100% through about 50 rounds of 124gr FMJ. It bobbled twice going through 40 rounds of the 154gr SP. The soft lead tip looked a bit flattened as if it had slammed into the feed ramp. Going forward I'll skip the soft-point ammo.

A few pics,

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'm weighing up a permanent sight for this rig and find myself deciding on going with iron sight, maybe a fixed Troy or DD, or maybe a 3X prism optic.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been using a PSA model "KS-47" which is basically an AR that accepts AK magazines. The rifle shoots well, and has worked flawlessly. There are some limits about what mags it will take, but metal Combloc mags are fine, as are Magpuls. It was a lot less expensive than similar rifles such as the CMMG, or milled AK's.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Does the KS47 use a standard lower with insert or some such, or is it a dedicated lower?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
It's a dedicated lower on the KS47. Looks pretty slick.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-ks47-classic-carbine.html

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
correct.

A downside is that there is no last-shot-hold-bolt-open feature. Also some aftermarket triggers (like a Timney) will not clear the mag release.

The kit I bought came with a m-lock forend and a nitrided barrel. It shoots well with good ammo and should be tough enough to tolerate mil-surp

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
correct.

A downside is that there is no last-shot-hold-bolt-open feature. Also some aftermarket triggers (like a Timney) will not clear the mag release.

The kit I bought came with a m-lock forend and a nitrided barrel. It shoots well with good ammo and should be tough enough to tolerate mil-surp

Tex,

What ammo does it like, and can you hold an inch with 5 shots?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Gents..I know there’s a few of us here that have these and really seem to enjoy them for what they are so I’ll keep this going..
My Daytona Tactical That has so far been flawless just quit on me..
My brother was shooting it and had about 2 or 3 rounds that suddenly weren’t feeding properly.. he cleared them and pressed on. Then at the last shot the bolt got stuck tight and would not open. We were up in the hills so didn’t have many tools available and could not get it to clear. As it was an empty case in the chamber I put it away to be looked into closer at home.
As it was being packed up he noticed a broken bolt lug laying on the bench..I’ve read about that being somewhat common so assumed that was the issue and kept the piece and put the gun away.

I’ll try to explain this the best I can so bear with me..
Upon closer inspection looking at the bolt it seems the bolt did not “cam/rotate” as 3 of the bottom lugs had come straight back and embedded themselves into the feed ramp. It’s an m4 ramp and one lug had dug in either side of the ramp and one lug directly in the center..
Everything is kept pretty wet on that gun and never an issue before.
I’m not going to beat on the thing or even disassemble it as I’ve got an email in and would like to see what they say. Without having it apart it’s hard to tell what the culprit may be but just thought I’d share
Anybody want to hazard a guess? Broken Extractor maybe? Would a broken lug by itself cause the bolt to come back in such a manner? I don’t know as I don’t break too many parts.
I will definetly follow up here when I know more

Approx 1800-2000 rounds on the rifle

Last edited by Certifiable; 07/02/18.

She's gone shootin..
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Broken cam pin?

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
That’s what I somewhat suspected.. that’s a fairly robust pin tho but anything is possible

She's gone shootin..
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
That's interesting and good to hear about.

What buffer weight were you using?

I put the rifle azz-end on mine thinking the 5 oz rifle buffer might be a good idea, but maybe an H3 in a carbine would be about the same.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
It's also got a fairly big hole in that pin and wouldn't be the first one to break.

But I'm just guessing of course, it will be interesting to see what happened.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TWR
Broken cam pin?

That would be my guess too, but you would think it would take an awful lot to break it.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
That's interesting and good to hear about.

What buffer weight were you using?

I put the rifle azz-end on mine thinking the 5 oz rifle buffer might be a good idea, but maybe an H3 in a carbine would be about the same.

MM, I can’t recall off the top of my head so will pull it out and check tonight. Email sent on the 28th and no response yet...

She's gone shootin..
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
You killed a Daytona Tactical??? Shame on you.

I'd have to rip it apart. No way I could wait on the reply.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
I might still do just that Flave.. just didn’t want to get any grief from them about doing so. But at this rate it’s looking like I shoulda stayed with Flave precision..

She's gone shootin..
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Hahaha.

They might give you a new upper. Or they might tell you to GFY.

They appear to be a "fire and forget" type company but I have zero complaints about their products.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Considering the 3-4 moa accuracy of the rusky ammo, I decided to save some weight. Pulled the optic and put a Troy fixed rear sight on this carbine. Midway has the sight marked down to $42, so I went with it.

Crunched some numbers on JBM and it looks like a 39 yard zero will keep trajectory and line-of-sight within 2 inches of each other out to 200 yards, and about 15" drop at 300. So I'll roll with that.

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Also found some 20-round ASC magazines at J&G Sales. I like the size of the 20 better than the 30 rounder.

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
After sending a second email asking wtf Daytona responded saying if I had a problem to send it in for inspection or repair.. I’ll box it up and ship it off this week and will follow up.
Can’t say I’m overly warm/fuzzy but will see how it goes

She's gone shootin..
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Don't you EVER doubt Daytona Tactical.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Broseph I’m trying not to.. but when they only respond after a second prodding 10 days later I be gettin leery...
I was gonna put in a call to Local Dirt to go shake them boys up but they came around just in time

She's gone shootin..
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Cert, say the word. I'm retired now and have time to go badger them and talk loud, if you need. smile

I'll just pretend i don't hear so good.. which isn't far from the truth. Too much loud music and bang sticks with no ear protection in my yute.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Hey, I just figured out what Daytona meant! I live pretty close to them fugkers!

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Broseph I’m trying not to.. but when they only respond after a second prodding 10 days later I be gettin leery...
I was gonna put in a call to Local Dirt to go shake them boys up but they came around just in time

I'm thinkin' anybody slappin' uppers and 80% kits together at those prices probably has a different definition of "quick turn around" than you and I do.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave
Hey, I just figured out what Daytona meant! I live pretty close to them fugkers!

About the same distance from your place now as going to shrap's dogtown from Havre. smile

But, you don't have to drive 120 miles rt for groceries anymore.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Took the 7.62x39 out today to get the Troy rear sight dialed in.

After crunching some numbers on JBM it looked like a 39-yard zero would keep the trajectory within 2 inches of LOS out to 200 yards. Here's the trajectory table:

[Linked Image]

I was surprised at 39 yards it was shooting under 1" three shot groups.

When I went to 100 yards, it opened up to about 4", for 9 of 10, with one high flier out of the group. I guess that is what low quality (poorly balanced?) bullets do. My 100 yard group was about right for predicted traj of +1.9". But I did refine windage left a couple clicks. My 100 yard group with the irons was about the same size I shot using the optics earlier on.

100 yard target, 10 rounds,

[Linked Image]

I was shooting off a table with a bipod up front, and a beanbag aft.

At 165 yards I was smacking a basketball size rock no problem, traj was right on. For S&G, I tried hitting some stuff out around 400-600 yards. I used the big aperture and held the post above center. Not bad results at 300-400, but at 600 It was at best 'suppressing fire'.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I shot about 80 rounds for the day. The 20 round ASC magazines worked well. No failures of any kind for the rifle or magazine.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Shane, I think your results will improve when you've dumped all that TulAmmo, and move up to at least Wolf. This guy works a lot with the 7.62x39. As you would expect, Lapua shines above all other. If you can get past this guy's accent, he does offer up good information.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Nephew loads 125 ballistic tips and I've killed yotes past 500 with his stuff in a model one sales upper... I don't care for BT normally but at this speed the open up just right on game out to about 200 or so yards, no blow ups.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Shane, I think your results will improve when you've dumped all that TulAmmo, and move up to at least Wolf. This guy works a lot with the 7.62x39. As you would expect, Lapua shines above all other. If you can get past this guy's accent, he does offer up good information.

I've watched many of his videos. He always tells it like it is.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I'll give Wolf a try.

My mindset going in to the 7.62x39 was that I didn't want to handload for it. Rather, take advantage of low cost ammo.

Who knows, I might end up handloading a bit too.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Depends on what you want it for really. I can see the cheap ammo part... but cheap accuracy just bothers the hell out of me for some reason. I don't know if I've shot 500 rounds of ball 5.56 in my whole life.

My poly tech AK sucks so bad with ball ammo it sits in the safe since the 90s. Though I really should try some reloads to see if it is any better... but no time..

If I wanted to simply blast, hands down I'd buy SKS till I found an accurate one with ball and buy about 10 cases of ammo that shot ok in the SKS. I've seen them shoot much better than AKs.

So in many ways, an non accurate AR doesn't interest me.

Will be cool to see how accurate you get by swapping ammo.

I know there is a wolf 22rimfire that would scare the heck out of Federal 900 in our match AR 22lr upper.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
That dude needs to learn trigger control and a few other things. couldn't get past the fact he is saying accuracy testing and is slapping the trigger and resting the gun on its mag... ugh

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Neither of those videos had anything to do with accuracy. They were about velocity and the deviation thereof. With that, and that Labradar, i thought he laid that out pretty well.

He has other videos on accuracy.
I'll give Wolf a try.

My mindset going in to the 7.62x39 was that I didn't want to handload for it. Rather, take advantage of low cost ammo.

Who knows, I might end up handloading a bit too.

Shane, if you decide to load up some of your own, Starline has been offering 7.62x39 for a few months now.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
MM...agree with dirt, Tula for me has been by far the worst of them all.

She's gone shootin..
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I'll probably try out some American Eagle, and some Golden Bear. See how those pan out.

I've heard of people getting good accuracy with 7.62x39 in the AR, in the 1-2 moa range.

I knew going in that Tula was the cheapest ammo, so I didn't buy 1000 rounds or anything like that.

I've got about 300 rounds of the Tula left. Even at 4 moa, it's fine for offhand practice, or taking for a hike for a defensive load.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
..........Shane, if you decide to load up some of your own, Starline has been offering 7.62x39 for a few months now.

I saw that Starline 7.62x39 brass at Midway. I was looking at brass and dies a while back, but haven't bought any yet.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
nephews 125s in the model one sales upper would shoot around an inch or just under for a few 3 shot groups that I ran over paper a few times. Yeah it proves nothing but it beats 4 moa. 4 moa makes me shudder. LOL. 4 moa added to my wobble.. teaches me nothing and makes me wonder where the next round will wander. LOL

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by rost495
................4 moa makes me shudder. LOL. 4 moa added to my wobble.. teaches me nothing and makes me wonder where the next round will wander. LOL

I hear ya. 4 moa, think of it as '308 appreciation training'.

10 rounds at 100 with the Rem 700 308Win,

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Nice.. .when you have ones that shoot like that, I don't have time for 4moa ones. LOL

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Daytona received my upper yesterday so I’m just waiting for them to get to it and see what they offer to do

She's gone shootin..
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Well I got a brand new upper in the mail today.
They shipped it only a couple days after they received mine so it was a pretty fast turnaround.
All in all I’m satisfied.. on one hand they definetly made it right. Tho I feel they absolutely should have considering the round count being under 2K.
On the other hand it would be nice if they answered emails without having to be reminded to answer their emails

I specifically asked them to let me know what happened to the upper, purely out of curiosity. I know some of you wanted to know as well. But no correspondence at all. Just an email saying I had a package coming.
Anyway that’s all there is..I’ll get back to hammering on this one now I guess

She's gone shootin..
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Tried some Hornady steel case 123gr SST at 100 yards today. Intended to get a 10-shot group, but the weather rolled in on me (50's raining, breezy, odd August day).

Anyhoo, I put some glass on the carbine to give the benefit over my eyes and irons. Leupold 2.5-8x36.

Groups shrank for the Tula to under 3" for 5 shots, and 3.5" for 10 shots (9 into under 3").

The Hornady I only managed a 5-shot group at 2.3", with three of those touching. Weather turned on me for serious testing.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
MM.. they aren’t the most accurate but they sure are fun no?

She's gone shootin..
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
True that.

It was an itch I had to scratch. Glad I did.

Still a lot of discovery learning to do here.

I might try to load up some 155 Amax or ELD-M just for S&G, see how they shoot.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Tried some Hornady steel case 123gr SST at 100 yards today.

Just out of curiosity, have you fired that stuff over a chrono with that rifle? I'd be interested to know the velocity from that 16" AR.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I didn't shoot through the chrono today, but I'll do that in the future. Curious myself.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Cool, I'll keep my eyes peeled for your report, thanks!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
7.62x39 definitely benefits from the cheap surplus ammo, but did you consider 300BO at all when starting this project, Shane?
I've always been a fan of it in AK's and a few SKS's years ago, but been playing with the AAC in a 700 bolt gun and it's a cool little round too. Been thinking I need one in an AR platform. Was considering the 7.62x39 too, so wondering what pushed you that way.

Last edited by jackmountain; 08/20/18.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I went back and forth between 300BO and 7.62x39.

Eventually I went with the cheap ammo option, as I'm trying not to get into reloading another chambering.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Got some velocity data on the Hornady 123gr SST, and the Tula 124gr FMJ, using the Magnetospeed chrono.

16" barrel, carbine gas system, 75F.

Hornady 123gr SST:
average: 2370

Tula 124gr FMJ:
average: 2444

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Interesting to see the accuracy on those 2 rounds.

Btw, SGAmmo has some decent prices on various mfgr 7.62x39 on their Labor Day sale.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
The Hornady 123gr SST does show some promise with 3 of 5 shots touching at 100 yards from a non-floated barrel, off a less than steady table in a bit of wind. I'd get down on the ground to get steadier, but I'd have to cut too much grass to see my target.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Hornady 123gr SST does show some promise with 3 of 5 shots touching at 100 yards from a non-floated barrel, off a less than steady table in a bit of wind. I'd get down on the ground to get steadier, but I'd have to cut too much grass to see my target.

That's impressive.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Got some velocity data on the Hornady 123gr SST, and the Tula 124gr FMJ, using the Magnetospeed chrono.

16" barrel, carbine gas system, 75F.

Hornady 123gr SST:
average: 2370

Tula 124gr FMJ:
average: 2444

Thanks for posting that. Interesting to see the Tula is faster (and by that much!) than the Hornady; my impression of Tula in other calibers the few times I've tried it has been that it was somewhat underpowered.

Just as an interesting comparison (not a "mine is better than yours" thing at all), that Hornady 123gr load is running almost exactly the same speed as the 123gr ELD-M handload in my 12.5" 6.5 Grendel. That's with re-formed 7.62x39 brass too, lots of similarities in those loads except for the barrel length.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I was surprised about the Tula velocity as well. From my internet readings I was expecting 2300-ish fps. Shootng the two ammos side-by-side, the Tula does feel like it has a little more gas though.

I'll bet the 123 in the Grendel has a heck of lot higher BC than the 7.62x39 also. I believe the 7.62 123gr SST has a BC around .290 or so.

I'm enjoying the 7.62x39 journey so far, and if there was a left-hand bolt action rifle, I'd probably have one. Who knows, might try a Ruger American 7.62x39 boltgun down the road, even if it is RH.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Per data on Midway specs:

.264 123gr SST BC .510

.310 123gr SST BC .260

That's a LOT more BC on the 6.5mm!

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Yeah that high BC makes all the difference at longer range, it's a fun setup to plink with out around 600+ yards. The Grendel is a relatively slow cartridge IMO so that high BC is it's saving grace. Within "red dot sight distance" though it doesn't have any real advantage over the old AK round IMO. It's basically an improved and necked down x39 case so it does use a little more powder, and that short 12.5" barrel on mine is LOUD. Definitely some advantages to both cartridges still I think; I just found it interesting to note the similarities.

As a side note, I've heard but haven't confirmed (since I don't pay much attention to AK stuff any more) that some of the Russian/com-bloc people have taken up the Grendel as well and are chambering it in AK rifles. Kind of makes sense as a continuation on the old design I guess.

I've considered that American Ranch rifle in 7.62x39 as well; seems like a handy little setup.

Last edited by Yondering; 08/31/18.
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I see Ruger has the Ranch in x39 and 6.5 Grendel. I suppose since they use the same boltface it was pretty easy to produce both

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll bet you could push the x39 a lot harder in a bolt action.

Politics is War by Other Means
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I'd imagine so, probably get a 150 gr bullet to 2400 fps in a 20" barrel without any trouble.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Yondering

I've considered that American Ranch rifle in 7.62x39 as well; seems like a handy little setup.

Mr. Mannlicher seems to think so, too.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Tyrone
I'll bet you could push the x39 a lot harder in a bolt action.

Honestly I'm not sure you really could. The AR action isn't the weak link with one of these, it's the case itself.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Honestly I'm not sure you really could. The AR action isn't the weak link with one of these, it's the case itself.

Oh yeah? What have you found about it? Stretch a lot? Weak primer pockets? ?????

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I would think brass from Starline or Lapua would be fairly stout?

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
I would think brass from Starline or Lapua would be fairly stout?

Hodgdon's s shows pressures over 43,000 CUP with Midway brass.

I'd feel pretty comfortable with Starline or Lapua brass in a bolt gun.

If I was really concerned, I'd cut a case vertically and see how much meat was on it's bones.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Neighbor has a Ruger 77 Mark II, in the x39. He is a deer killing machine with this little gun!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Never discharged a 7.62X39, not even once. Have shot a bunch of them though. They can't hit me.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Tyrone

Oh yeah? What have you found about it? Stretch a lot? Weak primer pockets? ?????

In my experience, it'll tend to loosen primer pockets before exceeding pressure capability of the AR platform, and with a properly gassed rifle (so it doesn't unlock early) you can run right up to the limits of the brass. Of course you can break a bolt too, but with modern bolts that's more an issue of an out of square barrel extension in the upper. To be fair, my experience with this is in the Grendel cartridge, but I'm using the same 7.62x39 brass just fireformed to the Grendel case. I don't know if stretching would be any more of an issue in the 7.62.

Last edited by Yondering; 09/01/18.
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Did some velocity comparison today between the Tula 122gr FMJ vs Tula 124gr FMJ.

16" barrel. Chrony F1. 10 yards.

122 grain:

avg: 2373
…………………….

124 grain:

avg: 2413

Fired same gun, same day (today). Temp about 50F.

Interesting that the 124gr is 40 fps faster on average.

I was doing some internet searching to try to learn the differences between the 122gr fmj, and 124gr fmj.

One shooter wrote that he had pulled down about five rounds of each weight. The bullets were all the same weight, but the 124gr labeled had a heavier powder charge by a grain or so.

Here's a new pic of the 7.62x39 carbine. Made a couple changes. Put on a carbine stock wit an H3 buffer, UTG handguards, and a Magpul vertical grip.

[Linked Image]

I just like this thing. Put a couple hundred rounds through it today shooting close. Mostly 25-50 yards quick fire, working on some muscle memory. Did a little 100-150 yard rock busting, offhand.

Did some further shooting with the 14.7" 5.56. Went out to 650 yards using thePrimary Arms 5X with their reticle.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by MontanaMarine; 09/28/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
MM,

Who’s upper is that? I want one.

I’m a heavy 5.56 guy, but have friends with loads of 7.62x39 and swear by it.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Palmetto State Armory.

In stock now. $279, free shipping.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...lassic-upper-with-bcg-ch-5165449462.html

The PSA upper has the enhanced firing pin for soviet ammo. I've only been running Tula and some Hornady steel case ammo. I bought ASC magazines. 10-round and 20-round. This rig has never bobbled so far.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks!

John Stark.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Shane,

Did you run the H3 from the start? And is that a standard buffer spring?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sweet setup!

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
[i][/i]
Shane,

Travis,

Initially I was using a rifle stock/buffer system. That worked well.

Then I went to a standard 3.0 oz carbine buffer in the M4 style buttstock. That worked well too, but I could feel the buffer hitting the back of the extension tube with a solid thump.

Then I ordered some tungsten weights and made the standard buffer into a 5.4 oz H3 buffer. This works great too, and the buffer isn't pounding the back of the extension tube. It feels very smooth.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I'm using a standard carbine spring (AR-Stoner) .

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
[i][/i]
Shane,

Travis,

Initially I was using a rifle stock/buffer system. That worked well.

Then I went to a standard 3.0 oz carbine buffer in the M4 style buttstock. That worked well too, but I could feel the buffer hitting the back of the extension tube with a solid thump.

Then I ordered some tungsten weights and made the standard buffer into a 5.4 oz H3 buffer. This works great too, and the buffer isn't pounding the back of the extension tube. It feels very smooth.

Gotcha. Thanks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
correct.

Tex,

What ammo does it like, and can you hold an inch with 5 shots?

IIRC I've only shot handloads in it. I don't recall if I entered it in the 10 shot challenge, but I have one photo where it put 10 into 1.67" and the next 10 into 1.34". That was 123 Noslers over 28gr of 1680, in Lapua brass. I reckon with some tuning it could keep 5 in an inch.

I'd imagine so, probably get a 150 gr bullet to 2400 fps in a 20" barrel without any trouble.

I also have a Ruger #1 in 7.62x39, with a 22" barrel - 2550 with 123's was easy, and I was not pushing it hard, running 1680. It has a pretty long throat, so I do want to try 150's in it. The 123's I've tried, the Hornady SST and the prototype Nosler BT, seem to be pretty frangible

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Something I've realized lately is that my eyes are not what they once were. I'm 57, wear bifocals.

Through the reading lens I can get a clear front sight, but cannot see anything downrange. Through the upper lens, I can only get a blurry front sight, but I can see downrange.

I like the basic simplicity of the irons, but reality is I can shoot about 3" with optics, and 6" with irons, at 100 yards. That's with this carbine and Tula ammo

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
[/quote]I like the basic simplicity of the irons, but reality is I can shoot about 3" with optics, and 6" with irons, at 100 yards.

Pretty much in the same boat at 59, but that actually sounds just fine for this round/upper.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Tag

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
This thread has just convinced me to putter around with one of these uppers. It can be costly spending time on the computer.

Retired cat herder.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by g5m
This thread has just convinced me to putter around with one of these uppers. It can be costly spending time on the computer.

Don't do it, cuzz I might be tempted. That said, I'm going 300 Blackout, just cuzz BCG/Mags are the same and I have a bunch of both.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'll post a report. grin

Retired cat herder.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
That's the spirit.... grin

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by g5m

Don't do it, cuzz I might be tempted. That said, I'm going 300 Blackout, just cuzz BCG/Mags are the same and I have a bunch of both.

I went back and forth trying to decide. There still might be room for a 300BO for me also.

One thing about the 300BO that caught my attention, it's possible to chamber and fire a 300BO round in a 223/5.56 chamber. There are pics of kabooms out there. That's not a deal-breaker for me, but good to be aware of, and always double check what's what.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I like the 300.

And the Grendel, but I don't have time or opportunity to use any of them much.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by g5m

I went back and forth trying to decide. There still might be room for a 300BO for me also.

One thing about the 300BO that caught my attention, it's possible to chamber and fire a 300BO round in a 223/5.56 chamber. There are pics of kabooms out there. That's not a deal-breaker for me, but good to be aware of, and always double check what's what.

That's a scary thought.
I have never been to worried about confusing ammo and rifle.

But I never had two rifles as easy to confuse as several AR's.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Given the plethora of accessories, there has never been a rifle as easy to color code as an AR.

I don’t have a 300 BO anymore, but when I did, the furniture and the PMAGs were FDE.

John Stark.
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

This is true, BUT - it's not that hard to just avoid using 300 Blk ammo that will chamber in a 5.56. That didn't really exist commercially until a few years ago, and only happened to handloaders when using shorter bullets. The original intent, using bullets profiled like the 125 NBT, was that the ammo would not chamber in a 5.56 except by repeated attempts to hammer the bolt closed. If you use a bullet like the 110 V-max and seat it deep enough, the round will chamber in 5.56 because the bullet doesn't hit the chamber shoulder first.

Personally I thought it was a huge mistake when Nosler started selling their Varmageddon load that would chamber in 5.56 barrels. I don't know if they were the first to do so commercially, but they were the first I knew about.

Last edited by Yondering; 10/14/18.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I think anything .300 BO that isn't subsonic is dumb.

But to each their own.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
I load my 6x45 in nickle plated brass just for this reason. Fortunately IME 6x45 doesn't seem to chamber in a 5.56.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the .300 BO is sorta like an M1 Carbine on steroids. And uses the same bolts and mags as the 5.56.

I run my .300's at mag length, which makes them way too long to chamber in a 5.56

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
I load my 6x45 in nickle plated brass just for this reason. Fortunately IME 6x45 doesn't seem to chamber in a 5.56.

getting old i guess, i should have thought of that. my eyes can't pick up the size of the bullet like they could 40 years ago.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

But to each their own.

That's OK, most of the other things you say are dumb too; we're used to it. laugh

Last edited by Yondering; 10/15/18.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

I have one and I've been reloading for it too grin 30gr of CFE BLK with a 123g VMAX runs 2450 in the Ranch's 16' tube. Only shot at 50 yards so far, but a 10 shot group is about the size of a quarter.... My C39V2 AK with the same load prints only about 3 inches....

Also tried a 150gr Sierra FP (.308 for a 30-30) and it's clocking 2300 with 26gr of CFE BLK with 10 shots around 2 inches. I'll try this load hunting WT's this year.

Last edited by GunLoony88; 10/15/18.
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by GunLoony88

I have one and I've been reloading for it too grin 30gr of CFE BLK with a 123g VMAX runs 2450 in the Ranch's 16' tube. Only shot at 50 yards so far, but a 10 shot group is about the size of a quarter.... My C39V2 AK with the same load prints only about 3 inches....

Also tried a 150gr Sierra FP (.308 for a 30-30) and it's clocking 2300 with 26gr of CFE BLK with 10 shots around 2 inches. I'll try this load hunting WT's this year.

That's pretty good. I wonder how much more the Howa 22 inch barrel would give.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

But to each their own.

That's OK, most of the other things you say are dumb too; we're used to it. laugh

Feel free to make the case for supersonic .300 BO ammo.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

But to each their own.

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by GunLoony88

That's pretty good. I wonder how much more the Howa 22 inch barrel would give.

Probably only 50-100fps. The Hodgdon manual lists 29.7gr of CFE BLK at 2554fps with a 24 inch barrel. I chose 30.0gr since the pressures are in the 40K CUP range and figured the Ruger could handle it fine.

Seems the CFE BLK powder gets it's job done in shorter barrel lengths just fine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

But to each their own.

[Linked Image]

The 125gr Ballistic Tip works well in it, too, as does Lil'Gun powder

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Any of y'all ever use the 125gr Sierra Prohunter in the 7.62x39?
How did you like it on deer?

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

[Linked Image]

I see what you did there! Haha! smile

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm toying with the idea of buying one of the PSA uppers to play with.

I have had a set of Hornady dies on the shelf for years, even though I've never used them, and the dies have two expander balls, one of which is .308......which got me to thinking.

I have a BUNCH of 150 grain winchester silver tip bullets, made for the 30-30, that I got in an estate......and they measure .309......what are the chances that these bullets would shoot halfway decent out of the 7.62x39 upper??

From load data, it looks like I might be able to get them to +/- 2100 fps......if so, any guesses as to how they would do on pigs at 100 yards or closer??.

Cancer Sucks
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I'd think the 150gr Silvertips would be great at 100 yards on game. The only question marks would be accuracy and feeding.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Put a Primary Arms 3X prism sight on this thing. I didn't want to, but my eyes aren't what they used to be, and bifocals don't play well with iron sights.

So, got it zero'd in (Tula 122gr FMJ), and did some ranging with the laser, and shooting with the reticle. Pretty good out to 510 yards. Not a target rifle, but for hitting torsos, it would be effective.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Scenery today,

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Good info and nice pictures, thanks MM

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
have used a hornady bullet 123 gr................ worked great

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I'm probably going to work up some handloads this winter and see if I can get a 125 or 150gr SST or Ballistic Tip to shoot consistently under 2 moa.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I'd think the 150gr Silvertips would be great at 100 yards on game. The only question marks would be accuracy and feeding.

i'll recommend a Hornaday bullet #3142 123 v-max h355 powder

Last edited by misser; 11/15/18.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'm probably going to work up some handloads this winter and see if I can get a 125 or 150gr SST or Ballistic Tip to shoot consistently under 2 moa.

No clue what the nephew uses on his model one sales upper, but its 125 BTs and I've taken coyotes out close to 500 with it. And deer, pigs, javelina closer. I've not shot it hard on paper off bags, but I've checked zero and shot enough stuff to know that the 125 works at that speed and must be fairly accurate.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I'll probably try RL-7 for powder, since I use that in the 45-70 already. 125gr BT looks like a good bullet to try out.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The slower speeds help it act like a normal bullet RE expansion

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Palmetto has these uppers on sale for Cyber Monday......$229.99.....placed my order as soon as I got the e-mail.

I intend to try some of the 150 grain Win silver tip flat nose bullets I mentioned earlier in the thread and see how they shoot out of this upper. If they show decent accuracy, I'll try them on pigs.

Cancer Sucks
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Last edited by David_Walter; 11/26/18.

John Stark.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's the one.

Cancer Sucks
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hard to think of a better rifle for pigs.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not really.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I like that black tipped Barnes with 20 grains of H110. The only case I can make for it is that it makes a bigger hole.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Not really.

C'mon Dan! I ain't talking about using commie ball! laugh

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I know that. CB Shorts rock. They don't hurt ears, have any recoil and kill chitt dead. Assuming one can hit what they need to hit of course. Cheaper than commie crap, easier to carry a wad of them too.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Made in America, killing foreign invaders for a long time.

They don't scare the herd away on the first shot. Nope. All the brothers and sisters pause and ask themselves "WTH?" And then they die as well. Most I ever did at one setting was 5. Two grown ups and three kids. Yeah, that rig is a monster.

I have a few other favorites as well, take your pick.

[Linked Image]

My personal favorites have lead bullets, YMMV.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And all of this 7.62x39 hate is because someone shot at you once while I n a helicopter and the round didn’t hit you or deform because it was metal core?

I’m not following your argument that a 22 is more effective than a 7.62x39 against pigs.....

John Stark.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dave, you aren't really that simple minded.

How many pigs have you whacked? You really think it takes an AK round to kill one?

Hate is such a strong word. I think the round is a joke and there are many better alternatives. But if you want to shoot it, be my guest.

Once? Ha! You're a comedian too ? For future reference I never brought a chopper home with more than 176 bullet holes.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Zero pigs, so I may be way off base.

Not trying to be offensive. I understand and respect your service.

John Stark.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Dave, you aren't really that simple minded.

For future reference I never brought a chopper home with more than 176 bullet holes.

I call bullshit on this. I have worked on Helicopters for nearly 30 years. I have flown in helicopters in combat missions. I have seen Helicopters hit by small arms fire, I have also repaired them. 176 rounds to one Helicopter is going to mean at the very least one catastrophic hit statistically. I am going to assume your so called experience was in Vietnam. Which now ups the likely hood of great catastrophic hits. I have seen some pretty shot up helicopters most of them belonging to the 160th. Not one was even close to 176 rounds in it. 176 rounds into even the largest of Helicopter cabins CH53 would result in casualties and more likely deaths. Not to mention bringing the aircraft down. Not saying you haven't been shot at or in fact hit, however I have a very hard time believing 176 times.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Call it what you wish. If I gave a chitt what you think I'd pull the pics and post them. I don't. The only systems still working on the bird were the power plant, drive train (perforated) and rotors (perforated). It was scrapped as non-repairable. None of the 6 on board were wounded which was a miracle in it's own right. Probability is just that and nothing more.

I am..........disturbed.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Call it what you wish. If I gave a chitt what you think I'd pull the pics and post them. I don't. The only systems still working on the bird were the power plant, drive train (perforated) and rotors (perforated). It was scrapped as non-repairable. None of the 6 on board were wounded which was a miracle in it's own right. Probability is just that and nothing more.

Thats the typical response of someone full of chit. What is the AC's data tag number. I'll look it up. Single engine Huey, 176 small arms rounds impacted on a Huey with six onboard and losing all but drivetrain and power plant, not one person hit is impossible. You lost all comm/Nav and nobody took a hit? Haha you have been watching to many movies. The aircraft was scraped because of repairable small arms fire damage. Hmmm we have these really nifty things called Cabin and Tailboom fixtures. Hueys were originally designed to be thrown away but they soon realized how cost effective and easy it is to rebuild them. I have rebuilt a few from Colombia that have seen some serious damage. They were trucked to Guaymaral were we rebuilt them. Also Worked on the Hawk that struck a landmine on the mountain the FARC cleaned the landing spot for. Google Colombia Blackhawk hit by land mine you can see the video.

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 11/28/18.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Not sure how to get the pictures from the gallery to hear. But as you can see in the gallery. This trip down to Colombia was for a few 308 Beam repairs. Have also done A to L conversions.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

Thats the typical response of someone full of chit. What is the AC's data tag number. I'll look it up. Single engine Huey, 176 small arms rounds impacted on a Huey with six onboard and losing all but drivetrain and power plant, not one person hit is impossible. You lost all comm/Nav and nobody took a hit? Haha you have been watching to many movies. The aircraft was scraped because of repairable small arms fire damage. Hmmm we have these really nifty things called Cabin and Tailboom fixtures. Hueys were originally designed to be thrown away but they soon realized how cost effective and easy it is to rebuild them. I have rebuilt a few from Colombia that have seen some serious damage. They were trucked to Guaymaral were we rebuilt them. Also Worked on the Hawk that struck a landmine on the mountain the FARC cleaned the landing spot for. Google Colombia Blackhawk hit by land mine you can see the video.

Guess I forgot the tail number. Only been 48 years, excuse me all to hell. Mebbe you forgot something in the fine print. I did not say nobody was hit, I said nobody was wounded you silly phuoc. You have any familiarity with ceramic composite armor such as was in use back then? And that's about as much discussion as I have time for at the moment.

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Thats ok don't need the number. I got someone looking into your claim now. We'll see!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There was a discussion going on on MontanaMarine's other AR post concerning the 7.62x39 in an AR15 breaking the bolt's locking lugs.
The thread was originally about AR pistols and not 7.62x39 in ARs, so I'll post this question here.

It was stated that 5.56 operating pressure is around 62K psi, and 7.62x39 is around 45K psi.
Based on surface area calculated by rim diameter of 5.56 case, at 62k psi, the force on the bolt will be 6,974 lbs.
7.62x39, using SAAMI spec pressure of 45k psi, will have a force of 7,058 lbs. on the bolt.

My question is.....
What about the 6.5 Grendel. Max pressure on it is 52K psi and it has the same .44" (.442" vs .447") rim size as the 7.62x36.
Has there been issues with the Grendel shearing off locking lugs?

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Having some mild weather here, so I got in some range time with the 7.62x39 this afternoon.

Traffic was heavy but we made it through,

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Set up steel at 81 yards,

[Linked Image]

Shooting Tula 122gr FMJ,

[Linked Image]

Shot about 60 rounds offhand, quick reaction drills. Only missed one round. At the end I turned the target around to the clean side, sat down and leaned against the truck tire, and fired a slow 10-shot group.

[Linked Image]

View from the office,

[Linked Image]

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Plenty good shooting!

I've got a Colt 6720 with an EO-Tech on it and Magpul SL hand guards. That pic makes me want to stick my DD Omega rail and a vertical grip on it, and break out the spray paint... looks good.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
That would be pretty similar setup.

My quad handguard is the broke-dick UTG Pro, but I must say it is nice and solid. The 7.62x39 barrel is essentially a heavy contour aft of the FSB, so it's a pretty chunky rig. I love shooting it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I've had pretty good results with 1680 powder in a PSA KS-47, and also in a Ruger #1. Both would easily stay under 1½" for 5 shots. Using the Ruger I took one deer with the 123gr Hornady SST, and also some hogs with the Nosler 123gr, which were available at their Pro Shop for a while. Both are .310 bullets, and both are pretty frangible on game. I'd like to see somebody make a bonded 123gr bullet that holds together a little better. At some point I'll try the various 150gr .311 bullets in the Ruger, which has a long throat.

FWIW 1680 also works well in the .218 Bee, and subsonic in the 300 BO.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Thanks for the info.

I've never used 1680, but I see it all over the load data for 7.62x39, and 300BO. Must be pretty good in those cases.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shooter's World Blkout and CFE BLK are extremely competitive with 1680. Pick up a jug of any of them & you'll be very happy.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Took the 7.62 x39 to the Icebreaker to stretch it out a little. I was just shooting Tula 122gr FMJ. Shooting at a steel coyote at 465 yards, I was getting about 50% hits. Better than I expected from that ammo, and the 3X optic. Kind of motivates me to maybe work up a handload with a good bullet in the 155gr weight.

The ACSS reticle worked out well at that distance. I didn't take it further due to the accuracy limitations. Also, you could tell by the sound of the bullet hitting the steel it was just about out of gas.

That's the x39 on the bipod to the left.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Took the 7.62 x39 to the Icebreaker to stretch it out a little. I was just shooting Tula 122gr FMJ. Shooting at a steel coyote at 465 yards, I was getting about 50% hits. Better than I expected from that ammo, and the 3X optic. Kind of motivates me to maybe work up a handload with a good bullet in the 155gr weight.

The ACSS reticle worked out well at that distance. I didn't take it further due to the accuracy limitations. Also, you could tell by the sound of the bullet hitting the steel it was just about out of gas.

That's the x39 on the bipod to the left.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Is that a PA optic on your 7.62x39? How does it feed, I heard of some jams with the very early ones. It's would make a neat deer rifle.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Something I've realized lately is that my eyes are not what they once were. I'm 57, wear bifocals.

Through the reading lens I can get a clear front sight, but cannot see anything downrange. Through the upper lens, I can only get a blurry front sight, but I can see downrange.

I like the basic simplicity of the irons, but reality is I can shoot about 3" with optics, and 6" with irons, at 100 yards. That's with this carbine and Tula ammo

[Linked Image]

I saw that you're using the 5X PA. BTW I'm 55 years old and the VA gave me trifocals. I told the young lady lab tech "they must be mistaken, 50 is the new 30.". She said no Sir you need trifocals.". The "Sir" part made me feel very old lol.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
GoForBroke,

The 7.62x39 has the PA 3X Prism sight with the ACSS reticle calibrated for the 7.62x39 out to 600 yards.

Mine has been feeding flawlessly. I'm using the ASC 20 round magazines.

My odometer just rolled over to 58. No doubt the eyes start to show their age.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I think the 3X's Prism was one of Dimitri's favorites. One of these days I want to look down their 1-6x and 4-14x. Good info on this thread. Thanks.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I've got the PA 1-6x24 on another AR (5.56) . it has the ACSS reticle that goes to 800 yards. I haven't had it a long time, but no complaints so far. You can see part of it in the last pics, laying on it's side on the ground.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Do you have any trouble seeing rats with that 1-6X? If you get a 4-14X I'd be interested to see how you compare the glass to your SWFA 12X.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GoForBroke
Do you have any trouble seeing rats with that 1-6X? If you get a 4-14X I'd be interested to see how you compare the glass to your SWFA 12X.

Probably good enough for Democ-rats

John Stark.
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M

I haven't looked at a prairie dog through it yet. At 6X it should easily be enough for 200 yards. It has that chevron reticle for the zero point. That lets you hold on anything you can see without covering it up. Past 200, the AR-15 (my AR-15s anyway) isn't really precise enough for serious PD's shooting anyway.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
GoForBroke,

The 7.62x39 has the PA 3X Prism sight with the ACSS reticle calibrated for the 7.62x39 out to 600 yards.

How many rounds do you have through the 7.62 x 39 AR now? Its an intriguing project with the inexpensive ammo prices at 18 cents a round. You just got the PSA upper and put it on a std lower correct?

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I've been pretty lucky building my AR15's. Sub moa so far without free floating. M4 was around 1/2" @100 yards and my HBAR with minimal load work up around 1/2-3/4" @ 100.yards. Pretty consistent to 200 yards on rats and 400 yards on chucks. I'd download my coldbore headshot @ 400 yards on a chuck pics but they say the file is too large.

Last edited by GoForBroke; 04/16/19.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by David_Walter

Probably good enough for Democ-rats

LOL oh well "can't we all just get along?" LOL. Be happy you're in Tri cities and not over in Seattle. When I was in LE/ Mil. outside sales I'd stop by SPD's training center and there would be hypodermic needles all over the parking lot. I was always happy to head east towards you all while traveling to MT.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
what scope are you using goforbroke? what ammo?

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
When I made the headshot I just finished assembling my M4 and had a cheesy Bushnell Banner Scopechief on it. I got it on trade and was the only spare scope I had. My handloads using once fired Federal brass I got from the range, Nosler 2nds 55gr BT under some TAC. I swapped that scope off and had a Zeiss Conquest 1.8-5.5x32mm on there afterwards. I just sold that scope last week and am considering the PA 1-6X for the M4. I have a Nikon 4-12X Mildot on the HBAR right now. My load is 50gr VMAX under TAC or H4895. I might try H322 or H355. I'll be shooting the 53gr VMAX latter this season as the rats get more wary.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I just noticed the "secure pictures" instructions. I take it that's how you all post pictures?

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by jimmyp
GoForBroke,

How many rounds do you have through the 7.62 x 39 AR now? Its an intriguing project with the inexpensive ammo prices at 18 cents a round. You just got the PSA upper and put it on a std lower correct?

Yes a PSA upper. I have around 600 rounds or so through mine. Never hiccup'd.

From what I learned doing some research before diving into the 7.62x39 AR-15, there are two likely problem areas one may run into.

1 - Light firing pin strikes causing failure to fire. The fix is twofold. First you need a heavy hammer strike, so milspec trigger is one way to assure that. Secondly, some x39 ammo has hard primers that are sometimes seated a tad below flush. The fix for that is an "enhanced" firing pin. The enhancement is that it is a bit longer. The PSA upper comes with the BCG/CH, and already has the enhanced firing pin in it.

2 - Magazine troubles, failure to feed. Sometimes this is nothing more than people using 223/5.56 magazines, and of course they fail if loaded with more than 4-5 rounds. The fix I read mostly was to go with ASC magazines, in particular the 20 rounders. I have a couple of the ASC-20's, they have been flawless. I did buy a couple 10-round AR-Stoner magazines from Midway, and the followers are marked ASC. I don't know if ASC makes them for AR-Stoner, but they have worked fine too.

So, in a nutshell, you want an enhanced firing pin, milspec trigger, and ASC 20round mags.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I just noticed the "secure pictures" instructions. I take it that's how you all post pictures?

I'm just using the Imgur default BB Code. It does start off with https.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G

I'm just using the Imgur default BB Code. It does start off with https.

I feel so old lol. That's all Greek to me. I'll google it lol.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I can't explain it further than that either. Just the standard code from photobucket or imgur is what I use.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I figured these things out by using a time-tested training method learned in the Marine Corps. It's called 'knob-dicking'.

Basically push every button to see what works and what doesn't....then try to remember which one it was that got the desired result......grin.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I figured these things out by using a time-tested training method learned in the Marine Corps. It's called 'knob-dicking'.

Basically push every button to see what works and what doesn't....then try to remember which one it was that got the desired result......grin.

LOL, well if it ain't broke don't fix it. I guess I'll have to try that technique. Thanks, John

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
On a different note, spring is definitely here. It's snowing this morning....

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
On a different note, spring is definitely here. It's snowing this morning....

I miss my stops in Montana. Truly God's country. My buddies in Bend had snow this week. I'm on the border of Oregon/ Idaho and we're going to have 70 degree temps this week. And the sage rat babies are just starting to show up. Crappies are starting to show up too, tough decisions to make here soon smile

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Sounds nice. Supposed hit 71 here this Friday.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by jimmyp
GoForBroke,

Yes a PSA upper. I have around 600 rounds or so through mine. Never hiccup'd.

From what I learned doing some research before diving into the 7.62x39 AR-15, there are two likely problem areas one may run into.

1 - Light firing pin strikes causing failure to fire. The fix is twofold. First you need a heavy hammer strike, so milspec trigger is one way to assure that. Secondly, some x39 ammo has hard primers that are sometimes seated a tad below flush. The fix for that is an "enhanced" firing pin. The enhancement is that it is a bit longer. The PSA upper comes with the BCG/CH, and already has the enhanced firing pin in it.

2 - Magazine troubles, failure to feed. Sometimes this is nothing more than people using 223/5.56 magazines, and of course they fail if loaded with more than 4-5 rounds. The fix I read mostly was to go with ASC magazines, in particular the 20 rounders. I have a couple of the ASC-20's, they have been flawless. I did buy a couple 10-round AR-Stoner magazines from Midway, and the followers are marked ASC. I don't know if ASC makes them for AR-Stoner, but they have worked fine too.

So, in a nutshell, you want an enhanced firing pin, milspec trigger, and ASC 20round mags.

A couple other things,

I'm running a H3 buffer also. It worked with the standard buffer, but I could feel it thumping the back of the extension tube pretty good. The H3 smoothed it out.

Also I put the UTG Pro quad rail handguards on the upper.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
MontanaMarine good information and the price is decent on the PSA upper. I wonder how many you would get down the nitrided tube before any significant wear from the mild steel bullets would be a problem?

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I don't know, I'd imagine it would take many thousand. Supposedly the nitride hardens steel considerably.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
A new barrel from PSA is only $99. I believe Midway offers similar for even less.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/oem-ar47-7-62x39-16-hvy-barrel-1-10-nitride-barrel.html

It will cost a whole lot more to wear one out, than to replace it.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I figured you all might be interested in this sale. https://www.primaryarms.com/primary...7-62x39-reticle-pa1-6x24sfp-acss-300bo_2

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

195 members (19rabbit52, 270winchester, 16penny, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 28 invisible), 2,068 guests, and 951 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,172
Posts18,465,368
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.