Hop To
Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 24 25
B
bhoges Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Well guys you finally have someone to help field your Tract questions. My name is Brian and I'll be taking over for Trevor. I had a sit down with Jon recently and I decided to help with consulting. To start things off I'm not an optics guru. I'm just a guy who likes to shoot. My daytime job is a firearms examiner for a large department. My hobbies include Cerakote, Duracoat painting and pretty much anything that goes bang. I prefer rifle shooting but, I also shoot pistol and shotgun. As far as optics go I'm not the guy to tow a single party line. If your brand works I'm all for it. I do honest testing and if it doesn't I'll be the first to say so. Doug over at Cameraland knows me for a long time. I run everything from Nightforce, Swarovski, Zeiss, Athlon, Leupold, Steiner and even Vortex (Jon breaks my balls over it all the time). I will try to answer any questions you have and If I don't have the answer I'll get it for you. Lets try to keep things civil. These threads get out of control and guys expect too much at times. No optic is perfect but, I know Tract is an excellent brand and they are here to stay. I remember when Vortex started in the early 2000's. All I ask is you give Tract and I a fair shot. Thanks for your time.

NRA LIfe Member, Colt, Sig, Smith & Wesson, Springfield Armorer, NYBIN , NYPD Firearms Examiner, Serial Number Restoration, Cerakote, Gunkote, and Duracoat finishes
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Hello Brian. Nice intro. I've read some of your reviews here and always enjoy them. I like good, honest ones, whether good or bad. I gave Tract a fair shot a couple of years ago not long after they first came out. The Toric 8x42 is a fantastic performer. I'd like to hear your take on the new 10x model.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Welcome Brian. Thanks for the intro. I'll enjoy reading your reviews & posts.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looking forward to it, Brian.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Same here, looking forward to it, and here's hoping it'll always be civil on this forum.

Last edited by bludog; 06/11/18.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Is the Tract Response made to the same zero retention standards as the more expensive scopes?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Is the Tract Response made to the same zero retention standards as the more expensive scopes?

You forgot "Hello, I'm Billy and thanks for taking the time to work with Tract. I'm here to ride your azz..." grin Said in jest PG....

Good to see you posting for them bhodges. If you know of can find the info on it, like Billy, I'd like to know more about the specifics of the Toric line of scopes, especially their elevation adjustment/retention hardware.

Lots of optics companies use the same manufactures to produce their scopes. It would be nice to know if any share the same parts and differences between them...but I'm guessing this is a bit much to ask.

Thanks for posting. I've been very pleased with the single Toric I have experience with.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

I'm guessing it's "held to the same standard", which would mean it will get repaired/replaced if it fails, the same as the higher end stuff.

Only an idiot would expect a product to be built to the same specs as one costing twice as much (made in another factory in another country) or claim that it was as a sales pitch.

Let's hope sanity prevails on both ends of this.

What fresh Hell is this?
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Only an idiot would expect a product to be built to the same specs as one costing twice as much (made in another factory in another country) or claim that it was as a sales pitch.

You mean, like Tract themselves have stated?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Exactly, if "built to the same spec" is what they said.

I expect a bit of glitter and BS from anyone selling stuff, but claiming something that you can't deliver is a bad idea. The prevailing notion from optics companies seems to be that a good warranty is the same as a good scope, which is nonsense. On the other hand, expecting a $300 full-featured "tactical" scope to perform and hold up like a Nightforce, or a $600 SWFA, regardless of the sales-pitch, is silly.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by liliysdad

You mean, like Tract themselves have stated?

This question appears on the Tract website:"With that being said, are the internals of your centerfire scopes all the same, with regards to ruggedness, dependability, and tracking? So, the differences in the product lines are primarily the differences in the quality of the glass? Thanks!" Here is the answer from Tract: "The TURION, TEKOA and TORIC riflescopes all feature the same mechanical specifications in regards to Recoil resistance, Windage and Elevation adjustments and Waterproof/Fogproof construction. There are other features that separate the scopes aside from optical quality such as the reticle designs, magnification range (3x versus 4x versus 5x zoom ratios) and various other specifications." Note that the reply includes all the scopes built in Japan and does not include the scopes built in the Philippines.

Last edited by GrimJim; 06/12/18.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Bingo. That's what I had surmised. The Phillipine models are a different animal.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
bhoges Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
They are tested to 1000G in recoil testing. All the scopes have the same specs in that regards. Hey, anything mechanical can and will fail. The rate these scopes has failed has been very low. I purchased a Swarovski STR80mm spotter that failed in a few months. That's a 4k spotter. People have to realize there is a big difference between military grade optics and hunting grades. Tract scopes offer exceptional value for the price but cutting out the middle man. I realize rifles are tools and at times they suffer from different types of abuse. When I test a scope I use targets from Box to Bench Precision. I also drop the butt of the stock a bunch of times on concrete. I have no interest in throwing my rifle to test a scope. There are too many variables and its not a valid test. Whose to say the stock, rings, base, or gun failed? Maybe the scope was fine and something else went wrong. I do testing in a laboratory and everything must be repeatable and calibrated. You need standards in any test. All I can say is try one yourself and you'll be impressed. Take what you want from reviews and make your own decision.

NRA LIfe Member, Colt, Sig, Smith & Wesson, Springfield Armorer, NYBIN , NYPD Firearms Examiner, Serial Number Restoration, Cerakote, Gunkote, and Duracoat finishes
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by bhoges
They are tested to 1000G in recoil testing. All the scopes have the same specs in that regards. Hey, anything mechanical can and will fail. The rate these scopes has failed has been very low. I purchased a Swarovski STR80mm spotter that failed in a few months. That's a 4k spotter. People have to realize there is a big difference between military grade optics and hunting grades. Tract scopes offer exceptional value for the price but cutting out the middle man. I realize rifles are tools and at times they suffer from different types of abuse. When I test a scope I use targets from Box to Bench Precision. I also drop the butt of the stock a bunch of times on concrete. I have no interest in throwing my rifle to test a scope. There are too many variables and its not a valid test. Whose to say the stock, rings, base, or gun failed? Maybe the scope was fine and something else went wrong. I do testing in a laboratory and everything must be repeatable and calibrated. You need standards in any test. All I can say is try one yourself and you'll be impressed. Take what you want from reviews and make your own decision.

Excellent response.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Yup, not bad.

Anyone at a 6th grade reading level should be able to divine what's said and left unsaid there. It won't satisfy those looking for a full "confession", I expect. They'll want full disclosure of proprietary test results and a couple of NIB scopes they can disassemble.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Brian's a very knowledgeable guy in optics as well as firearms.

If he knows the answers he will be right. If he does not know the answers he will do all he can to find the right answer and if that fails he will say he does not know.

He's a great addition to this forum.

Welcome

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Very gracious Doug, considering he's working for the enemy.

There's plenty of pie here for everyone, I think.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
bhoges Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Very gracious Doug, considering he's working for the enemy.

There's plenty of pie here for everyone, I think.

There are no enemies in the world of optics. Doug has been a very close friend for 18 years now. I'm working on an Athlon 1-6x24 review for him now. Like I stated I think there are lots of great companies out there. I refused to stick with only one. Wouldn't you rather have a guy who has input on several companies instead of only one? Thanks Doug.

B
bhoges Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
Brian's a very knowledgeable guy in optics as well as firearms.

If he knows the answers he will be right. If he does not know the answers he will do all he can to find the right answer and if that fails he will say he does not know.

He's a great addition to this forum.

Welcome

Thanks Doug for the kind words. Love ya Bro!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bhoges
People have to realize there is a big difference between military grade optics and hunting grades.

This is where we differ.

That is usually an excuse made by companies who make “hunting scopes”, designed for light duty. Aside from applications where absolute weight savings is paramount (for those who feel so inclined), I can’t think of a good reason why hunting scopes shouldn’t be made to the same durability and ruggedness standards as mil-grade scopes.

Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 24 25

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (1eyedmule, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 54 invisible), 2,689 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,568
Posts18,453,832
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.