Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Today I was talking with both Dale and John Karch (3 Rivers Archery) They carry one of my products in their catalog in the broadhead section, We talked about their Woodsman broadheads. I set up a hunter with the woodsman for his American bison bow hunt and recommended woodsman to him. I built his arrows and assembled his woodsman and tuned him. They performed flawlessly for him. You can get an education about it here.

http://ronkulas.proboards.com/thread/55/archery-bison-blog

Wanting to try them on Russian boar, I used them in Jan. They are outstanding and would be another great choice for elk.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Member Wisconsin Bowhunters Assc, Wisconsin Traditional archers, Pope and Young, Asbhy 100,
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by AH64guy
Op - take a try with Slick Tricks on your current arrows. I like the Vipers, but the standard ST four blades will do as well.

Longer shots - no - you need to practice to your limits to put your arrows in the KZ on the animal.

Being out West doesn’t mean longer shots, it needs you may have to say “no” to shooting at an animal that you can see.

You don’t need to change your setup, you need to be proficient with what you already have.

I have an Energy 32, same draw, same weight range - you’ll be fine...if you think through your abilities AND your limits.

I agree but would add that he might want to switch to brass or steel inserts to boost his weight and weight forward. Ive killed a lot of deer with slick trick and they are an outstanding head. I took this buck in Nov. of last year with a ST std.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by sharp_things; 06/09/18.

Member Wisconsin Bowhunters Assc, Wisconsin Traditional archers, Pope and Young, Asbhy 100,
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I've got a ton of slick trick magnums here. Shot them for years for PA deer. Liked them a lot. I was eyeing up the stainless viper tricks, little less blade angle, and look pretty tough.

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by borden811
I've got a ton of slick trick magnums here. Shot them for years for PA deer. Liked them a lot. I was eyeing up the stainless viper tricks, little less blade angle, and look pretty tough.

I really like and have enjoyed 100% success rates with ST magnums but the low weight (100 grains) would make me a little Leary on larger game with a frame size like elk. The ST mags would sere you well but Im a big proponent of high FOC 19%+ as it steers the broadheads so well and packs a punch on hard impacts. Sticking with the ST but using a brass or steel insert would be a low cost way of boosting the penetration potential of the arrow and heads you already have.

Your thread got a little off track when that dipschit tried to pretend like he knew what he was talking about, but I think you are sitting on the makings of a good elk arrow (Build arrows for a giant bull and a poor hit like bone) and then if the worst case happens you are prepared rather than surprised. Nobody ever lost an animal because they penetrated too deep.

Last edited by sharp_things; 06/09/18.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Judman
You pasty white ignorant fuuck..... haha

OMG, I’m in tears laffin...Get sum, pard...😂😂😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Your bow setup sounds fine. I like Muzzy 4 blade 90 or 100 grain broadheads myself.......and yes I have killed several bulls with them. And please don't take long shots - get in close and punch both lungs. Some of you PA treestand tactics can work well if the conditions are warm and you set up over a wallow or spring.

Last edited by centershot; 06/11/18.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Agreed, muzzy is the old standby, I’ve used em and seen a lot of deer and elk killed with em. I too like the 4 blade models too, advantage of another blade doin bidness...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
So is the answer you have never killed an elk ???

Looks like you have shot lots of amazing animals that someone else pointed out for you.

You win the what works on elk debate! with not one elk in the bag. You should talk really nice to Judman and maybe he would point out an elk for you to brag about like you DIY that [bleep]. 😂.

OP! G5 or muzzy MX3 have put a pile down for me. I have more elk teeth than Jud. LoL. And that’s a ffuucckknn lot.

Last edited by fredIII; 06/11/18.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Yes Fred has scewered lotsa bulls, solid advice right there! Don’t hang any pics either Freddy!!! Grin

Ain’t easy havin pals.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
🤣😂🤣😂🤣

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Show off!!! Grin

Ain’t easy havin pals.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
all these broadheads listed will kill elk, I have used Zwickey Eskimo`s 2 blade with breeders in the past done well,last 5 years we have used Elmer expendables and those have done well too . wish you all great safe luck this fall,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
To suggest that a broadhead is species specific is the height of ignorance. A broadhead that will penetrate the heart/lung of a grizz or black bear, a kudu, Wildebeast, a huge hog, Water Buffalo, bison etc. will work on an an elk just the same if it will kill the aforementioned critters.

Elk are not magical creatures (hint) wink

To suggest otherwise is pretty dumb but then Im have been witness to a lot of dumb on this site. grin

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Who’s saying Broadheads are species specific you dumb sonafabitch.... your talking with men that have actually, I know between fred and I, have killed a dump truck load of elk with archery tackle..... I used the same setup for deer.... hint....

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You. Remember when you posted this really stupid comment?

Originally Posted by Judman
Hey dumb dumb, he’s asking about elk, not a scrawny farm fed Holstein/Jersey cross....

You really are dumber than you sound. wink

The dumb in strong with you. Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Last edited by sharp_things; 06/12/18.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I notice how narrow and pointy the top of your caranium is, it’s obviously squeezed every ounce of common sense and reading comprehension outta your stupid head......

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
It’s is abnormally narrow, the top of your head

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My success with cutthroat heads on large game aside. I think they will do ok on a magical and mystical elk. (hint) wink

Even dummies here would have to agree with me (but wont). They would do well to listen to 40+ years of bowhunting experience. (but wont)

http://cutthroatbroadheads.com/success_photos.html

Last edited by sharp_things; 06/12/18.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Having butchered lots of “farm” raised critters, a 22 Mag works quite handily, probably not for elk under most circumstances, though it’s been done...

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You continue to fail. I enjoy that. Dont stop. wink

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

303 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 16penny, 204guy, 1minute, 1moredeer, 41 invisible), 2,390 guests, and 1,033 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,168
Posts18,465,352
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.