Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by las
"Resourceful" - yeah I like that.

My wife doesn't let me go to the dump alone anymore. Much.

I found a brand new, stiff (un-previously opened?) latest edition Speer reloading book at a transfer site this spring, Sportsman’s Warehouse price still on it.

Always wonder if there was some kind of major misfunction with a relationship when you see stuff like that. 🧐

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by las

I found a brand new, stiff (un-previously opened?) latest edition Speer reloading book at a transfer site this spring, Sportsman’s Warehouse price still on it.

Always wonder if there was some kind of major misfunction with a relationship when you see stuff like that. 🧐

Maybe it was a gift to an illiterate reloader?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VernAK
Whoa!.......Copper River dipnetting shut down.......that run of reds and kings
is a big part of "subsistence" in interior Alaska.

Just imagine if they all head to the Kenai shocked

Bender ain't seen nothing yet.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by las

Not sure what a transfer station is, but the big boys throw out brand new stuff all the time to make room. If you got lucky in the old days all kinds of free brand new walmart fishing/hunting gear that would not sell and the season had changed was in the dumpster... later they started bulk selling the lots of it, suspect it was managers beer money.. then the dumpsters were enclosed and you never could even try....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Originally Posted by las

Maybe it was a gift to an illiterate reloader?

😳

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495

Not sure what a transfer station is,....

They’re a fairly common phenom in populated parts of Alaska where there are dozens of dumpster bins for people to dump their trash in. It’s a way for people who don’t have access to trash pickup to get rid of yard and household waste in the boroughs. They sometimes have a place to drop off reusable as well,... like exercise machines, old washing machines, clothes, tires.....reloading manuals. 😛

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Ah. A dump. Gotcha. In fairbanks or you are back out in Gods country again I'm assuming? And if so congrats and enjoy

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For those that don't want to drive all the way to the dump, you can dump your stuff at a transfer station and it will be hauled to the dump for you (transferred). For Anchorage there is a transfer station in the middle of town, and the dump is in Eagle River.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Fairbanks has transfer stations; they’re quite clean and organized as compared to the open dumps in the rural parts. (Some rural dumps actually set aside useful stuff too however. That’s generally just a spot where you can look for vehicles and associated parts. But some dump maintainers delight in destroying as much stuff as possible too. ☹️) yeah I’m ‘out there’ : home for a couple months. (Gosh, I had forgotten how much more challenging life can be out here, or is it just the years adding up? 🤨

Last edited by Klikitarik; 06/14/18.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Dang, learn more every day.

Enjoy it out there! Hard or not, I'd have to say you all know its worth it until you just can't.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
A dumpster is about all I get for my taxes to the boro.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender

that can't be right??? surely some of your neighbors have a good job thanks to your taxes?

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

That’s kind of lame if they don’t throw a nice ridge for you to shovel/ plow at the end of your driveway after every snowfall. ☹️

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I’ve paid for tickets to the L48 a couple times when my folks were still around, as well as tickets to ANC from copper live scrounged from the rural dumps. Good luck with that in a place like FBX. Some of the scrounges are real regulars and it isn’t uncommon to see one of them holding a single short length of copper wire or tubing as the continue browsing/shopping through the line of dumpsters. (The regulars often have a scrounged bicycle with a scrounged kid-carrier or other ‘trailer’ affixed somehow to the rear; some real characters, some of them, but I appreciate such industry much more than seeing some of the regulars that hold cardboard on the street corner. )

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

That’s kind of lame if they don’t throw a nice ridge for you to shovel/ plow at the end of your driveway after every snowfall. ☹️

DOT plows my road.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
most of the so called subsistence is a joke. its a bunch of activists trying to make believe they really " live off the land" please. the post office is the true subsistence source with those checks showing up every month

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
"Subsistence" is like sex: commercial, personal use, and sport........ smile

Last edited by las; 06/18/18.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AK300
most of the so called subsistence is a joke. its a bunch of activists trying to make believe they really " live off the land" please. the post office is the true subsistence source with those checks showing up every month

I would heartily take issue with such an assumption........dang, there’s that old ‘ass’ showing up again. While I don’t know anyone who doesnt use various “western” commodities such as sugar, shortening, coffee, tea, crackers and such things, there are still plenty of folks who rely heavily on subsistence resources for the bulk of their protein and a large part of their plant intake. And though there are some who sold or traded their dignity for a pittance generations ago.......and they bug the piss out of me, they do nothing more than merely exist. (Yeah. I do wish pop and other junk could not be acquired via public assistance.) But anyone who actually has a life ‘out here’, whether employed or not, is going to have a real tough go of it without subsistence resources. Assistance checks just don’t pay that well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by las
"Subsistence" is like sex: commercial, personal use, and sport........ smile

I think you have a new sig line!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AK300

I would heartily take issue with such an assumption........dang, there’s that old ‘ass’ showing up again. While I don’t know anyone who doesnt use various “western” commodities such as sugar, shortening, coffee, tea, crackers and such things, there are still plenty of folks who rely heavily on subsistence resources for the bulk of their protein and a large part of their plant intake. And though there are some who sold or traded their dignity for a pittance generations ago.......and they bug the piss out of me, they do nothing more than merely exist. (Yeah. I do wish pop and other junk could not be acquired via public assistance.) But anyone who actually has a life ‘out here’, whether employed or not, is going to have a real tough go of it without subsistence resources. Assistance checks just don’t pay that well.

I've learned to appreciate that the primary elements that bind a culture from it's past to the present with hope towards the future are it's language, it's art and it's food. I'd also say that the gathering of the ingredients is more important than the recipes.

There are a whole host of social issues in the villages, no one will deny that. The solution is not easy or palatable, but subsistence/traditional hunting and fishing is IMHO the most important part of healing and moving forward. Abuse of the resources is related to the social problems which to a large degree fall at the feet of the well intentioned government and social justice folks.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

114 members (16penny, 280shooter, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 14idaho, 19 invisible), 1,364 guests, and 866 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,219
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.