Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Originally Posted by las
"Subsistence" is like sex: commercial, personal use, and sport........ smile

I think you have a new sig line!

Classic!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

There are a whole host of social issues in the villages, no one will deny that. The solution is not easy or palatable, but subsistence/traditional hunting and fishing is IMHO the most important part of healing and moving forward. Abuse of the resources is related to the social problems which to a large degree fall at the feet of the well intentioned government and social justice folks.

Not to be distracted by the wisdom of a certain wise elder among us and his proverbs.....

But I agree with you entire post, Paul.

I was in contact with a neighbor the day I came home, a fellow a few years more limber than me, a fellow who I’ve shared many miles of trail with, and one who would and has risked health and wealth for my own. I was wondering how the spring hunt had gone and of his freezer was full. (Waterfowl). He said, “oh, not much” and then proceeded to tell me how he had “probably” killed 30-50 geese... “not much” being what went in his freezer; the rest went to partners who don’t shoot so well and widows/elders in town. He’s the same guy who will ride 400/500 miles for caribou, at no small expense in fuel and equipment, give all or most of it away, and then want to do it all again. And that, among all the waste and abuse that is often more ‘newsworthy’, is not an unusual thing.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mark,

While the good folks among us are few and far between, they sure lift your spirits when you have the opportunity to spend time with them and ponder how they overflow with decency. Sharing a meal or one's bounty with others is truly one of the great rewards in life.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

There are a whole host of social issues in the villages, no one will deny that. The solution is not easy or palatable, but subsistence/traditional hunting and fishing is IMHO the most important part of healing and moving forward. Abuse of the resources is related to the social problems which to a large degree fall at the feet of the well intentioned government and social justice folks.

Not to be distracted by the wisdom of a certain wise elder among us and his proverbs.....

I was in contact with a neighbor the day I came home, a fellow a few years more limber than me, a fellow who I’ve shared many miles of trail with, and one who would and has risked health and wealth for my own. I was wondering how the spring hunt had gone and of his freezer was full. (Waterfowl). He said, “oh, not much” and then proceeded to tell me how he had “probably” killed 30-50 geese... “not much” being what went in his freezer; the rest went to partners who don’t shoot so well and widows/elders in town. He’s the same guy who will ride 400/500 miles for caribou, at no small expense in fuel and equipment, give all or most of it away, and then want to do it all again. And that, among all the waste and abuse that is often more ‘newsworthy’, is not an unusual thing.

Kilkitarik,

Thanks for writing this post, this story.

I have read every word of this thread several times over. It is perhaps the most informative piece of literature I have come across in educating myself concerning the dynamics of survival, life, and lifestyle of today's Alaska, previously unknown to me.

I wouldn't mind if you folks continued the discussion. I'd like to learn more on the subject. If you've got little inspiration to pick it up, I understand. And if that is the case perhaps you folks could point me in a direction that would further educate me about subsistance, it's purpose, history, intent, it's successes and it's failures. I'd like to learn more about this life of $16.00 per gallon milk and scrap nets. As well as the motovaters and detractors within the remotes and villages. Too, I would like to learn about the culture, the Bush villages and mindset perspectives of the people shared therein.

I'm currently far removed from many of you and the places that you speak of where folks are living a life I know little to nothing about. I have it easy. I get up, go pound nails, collect a paycheck budget for my food, clothing, and shelter (heat, water, and power included), drive to wal mart, cabela's, or costco for necessities. And although I have worked hard and sacrificed a bit to be here, I realize I really don't have a clue what others are experiencing. There is a great chaism between myself and many of you... I'd like to cross over it, or at least take a few steps closer.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mark,

While the good folks among us are few and far between, they sure lift your spirits when you have the opportunity to spend time with them and ponder how they overflow with decency. Sharing a meal or one's bounty with others is truly one of the great rewards in life.

There's substance within you Paul.

nice touch on the keyboard.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
maybe America can quit feeding and helping other countries and show a little more help in the homeland states ? let`s feed all of America 1st !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Mark,

There's substance within you Paul.

nice touch on the keyboard.

Some truly deep water flowing there..

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pete53
maybe America can quit feeding and helping other countries and show a little more help in the homeland states ? let`s feed all of America 1st !

That's a good idea.

Yet since the suiside rate in those villiages is 5x the national average, and both sexual and physical abuse runs right around 70% to the inhabitants therein, I believe we've more we should be offering along with that food. And It's well known that hope and healing is kind of hard to bring to a people unless you're willing to live among them.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Lots to be said in response. Let’s just leave it with this for now, “when it rains, it often pours”. Be ready and willing to take that gift; rest can be had in the dry spells. Cut and hung 45 or so fish yesterday, then young son shot a reindeer steer (lotsa more stuff could be added about that), loaded both halves of that unskinned into the boat, continued on to check and pull our new 80 foot, 5 inch net: 5 kings, couple chums.

This time of year it starts getting lighter well before the stars appear.

Last edited by Klikitarik; 06/24/18.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Kilkitarik,

Very cool post, thank you.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by las

I guess this makes me eligible for Public Assistance!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by VernAK
Originally Posted by las

Pubic assistance is just a bit too personal!

Oh, maybe I misread that!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
🙀

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 358wsm
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

Kilkitarik,

Thanks for writing this post, this story.

I have read every word of this thread several times over. It is perhaps the most informative piece of literature I have come across in educating myself concerning the dynamics of survival, life, and lifestyle of today's Alaska, previously unknown to me.

I wouldn't mind if you folks continued the discussion. I'd like to learn more on the subject. If you've got little inspiration to pick it up, I understand. And if that is the case perhaps you folks could point me in a direction that would further educate me about subsistance, it's purpose, history, intent, it's successes and it's failures. I'd like to learn more about this life of $16.00 per gallon milk and scrap nets. As well as the motovaters and detractors within the remotes and villages. Too, I would like to learn about the culture, the Bush villages and mindset perspectives of the people shared therein.

I'm currently far removed from many of you and the places that you speak of where folks are living a life I know little to nothing about. I have it easy. I get up, go pound nails, collect a paycheck budget for my food, clothing, and shelter (heat, water, and power included), drive to wal mart, cabela's, or costco for necessities. And although I have worked hard and sacrificed a bit to be here, I realize I really don't have a clue what others are experiencing. There is a great chaism between myself and many of you... I'd like to cross over it, or at least take a few steps closer.

I'll preface this with I've never lived in a village, have only visited a few. Have had the good fortune to know quit a few elders mostly Aleut and Yupik.

Just as the land is vast in complex, so are the Native peoples of Alaska and so are the causes of the various social issues. I'll touch on my observations and what I've learned in my mere 20 odd years up here.

In the span of the past 70-80 years you have a generation that lived a mostly subsistence nomadic lifestyle. In that time frame you have had statehood, the creation of Native corporations, Anilca, Oil and Pipeline boom, introduction of narcotics to villages, industrialized commercial fishing, imposition of formal schooling and a host of other dramatic changes that have upended a way of life that had been in place for 5-10,000 years.

To my mind there were several major social injustices visited upon the Alaska Native people since the US purchased the territory in 1867

American missionaries took Alaskan children from their villages, put them in boarding schools, beat them for speaking their own language, and told them that they were not Christians, in spite of Russian Orthodox missionaries evangelizing many villages in the late 1700's. I have spoken with a few people who experienced this.

During WWII the U.S. military evacuated and interned over 800 Aleuts from several islands. Many of them died from disease or malnutrition while interred US forces looted their homes and desecrated their churches. I have known several survivors who where children that were interred. https://www.apiai.org/product/aleut-evacuation-untold-war-story/

Corporations/Pipeline/Anilca. I lump these together as I see their impact as linked. As I mentioned this was a mostly nomadic subsistence people, in order not to be screwed out of their traditional lands, what were formerly fishing or hunting camps became permanent dwelling places. Many villeages have no economic reason to exist, but now that they exist as permanent villages modern infrastructure has been built, schools have been built, etc., and we have to a degree all the appurtenances of a modern small rural town, but with no tax base to support that. Not to mention a K-12 school system that is geared towards college prop for a student body that will mostly never leave the village simultaneously teaches them skills they don't need while taking them away from the elders that aren't teaching them the skills they do need and continuing their cultur

Take a people that worked extremely hard to survive, replace that need to work hard with cable tv, internet and government "help" and it's no wonder there is an epidemic of substance abuse, violent crime, sexual abuse, suicide etc.,

As to solutions, the best suggestion I've heard is a two pronged approach. While the source of the problems have mostly been put upon them by outside sources, they need to own the injury as their own and develop the mindset they they are the drivers of their own healing. So long as they are stuck requesting (for all intents and purposes) the same group that inflicted their wounds to cure them by the same medicine that hurt them, they will not and cannot heal. The second major step would be to gear schooling towards their needs, not the needs of passing an arbitrary knowledge base for every child in the state.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Wow Paul,

This is not much unlike what I witnessed in Northern Quebec East of the James Bay/Hudson bay area. The "residential schooling" and the fall out from it all as well as government built houses, and a similar host of other issues brought about a VERY notable similarity.

I'm going to ponder what you have shared, some more.

I really appreciate you having taken the time to convey your thoughts.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
As I said- I have mixed feelings...

Last I checked, ( a couple decades ago) it takes roughty $50,000 in capital outlay to equip a whaling crew. Which may not get one or several whales in any partucular year . I was on a Pt Hope whaling crew in the mid-70's - a highlight of my life. We didn't get one on either of the two years I was present, but it sure as heck was an experience!

My Captan and i killed 10-12 caribou each spring before the whales arrived, just to feed the whaling crew.

Culturally, this is "subsistence" - they were hunting whales back in the day in skin boats with slate harpoon heads..And really needed the kill.

Economically, now, it comes closer to "sport", (often) now with outboards, 35 lb brass whale guns, exploding harpoon heads and D-8's pulling them up on the beach (Barrow).. In Pt Hope, we constructed ice anchors for the block and tackle, and ice ramps to pull them out on the fast-ice for butchering. I think they still do.

It is still every bit as important culturally as a Pennsylvania deer season.

Nothing like looking over the side of the skin boat to see this gigantanormouse fluke turning hard left, ten feet down....

Wasn't sure I even wanted (good idea?) to keep the stroke.... I might have missed one, and not more than two.... smile

Talk about big game hunting, with basically a sharp stick......and that's in the hands of the guy in the front of the boat!

Last edited by las; 06/27/18.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cut and hung 45 or so fish yesterday, then young son shot a reindeer steer (lotsa more stuff could be added about that),

How does a reindeer end up a steer? miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by milespatton
Cut and hung 45 or so fish yesterday, then young son shot a reindeer steer (lotsa more stuff could be added about that),

How does a reindeer end up a steer? miles

Stood too close to the knife...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I get that part, but am I to assume that it is a tame one. I seem to remember a story about bringing some Reindeer to Alaska, in a part with no caribou, and the wild caribou coming by and the reindeer running off with them. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by VernAK
Originally Posted by las

Pubic assistance is just a bit too personal!

Oh, maybe I misread that!

It could be better than personal service... LOL

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

656 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 69 invisible), 2,822 guests, and 1,395 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,476
Posts18,451,832
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.