Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Who hunts with theirs? Ive got a hankering for one in 30-06 for some reason. Looking hard at a browning.

GB1

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I’ve had success with mine, a .405 variant. Has shot well out of the box. I added a pachmayer Old English pad which helped with the lop and softened the recoil a bit. I have a Williams FP receiver sight coming to add. Great rifle for most things I’ll use it for, with a great history to go with it.

Plenty of folks here that use one as well, see this discussion:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12143771/winchester-1895-new-pic

Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I read through that thread a good bit, sad thing is most of the pics didn't show up since I guess everyone used Photobucket. Figured if I go with a browning id have to get drilled and tapped for a Williams. The Williams work well on my other levers. Been thinking hard about a W71 but the 95 might be a little cheaper and easier to feed.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I see plain Brownings go for reasonable prices on GB. kaywoodie says they're good ones, and he should know.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not that it's a complete deal breaker but Browning's biggest mistake on those was not drilling and tapping the receivers for common peep sights. You can't scope them unless you use some kludgy offset mount or scout scope and open sights are a bit hard for anything but young eyes to deal with. I know it's not a big deal but it's just extra expense and hopefully the gunsmith doesn't mess it up - and some folks with "Gunsmith" on their shingle just might. There are some modern ones made by Winchester or Browning (both are Miroku) that are d&t but I haven't figured out which ones, you just have to look at the pictures.

Other than that they're neat rifles. I had a 1927 .30 Gov't '06 for a while and it was a good shooter. Even with the crescent buttplate it didn't kick that bad.

There are two nice Browning 30-06's on GB right now with starting bids of $799 and $875 but neither is d&t.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/775070822

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/775491025

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hunt with a Winchester 1895? Surely you jest!

See rifle in pic to your left.

Last edited by crshelton; 06/13/18. Reason: update

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Not that it's a complete deal breaker but Browning's biggest mistake on those was not drilling and tapping the receivers for common peep sights. You can't scope them unless you use some kludgy offset mount or scout scope and open sights are a bit hard for anything but young eyes to deal with. I know it's not a big deal but it's just extra expense and hopefully the gunsmith doesn't mess it up - and some folks with "Gunsmith" on their shingle just might. There are some modern ones made by Winchester or Browning (both are Miroku) that are d&t but I haven't figured out which ones, you just have to look at the pictures.

Other than that they're neat rifles. I had a 1927 .30 Gov't '06 for a while and it was a good shooter. Even with the crescent buttplate it didn't kick that bad.

There are two nice Browning 30-06's on GB right now with starting bids of $799 and $875 but neither is d&t.

I was looking at those two. The 799 one looks to be a good canditate to chop barrel to 20-22" and get drilled for peep. im not a fan of the tang safeties on the new ones. See what those 2 bring toward the end. If one works out ill have to pick yalls brain on who to do the work. I used to not have trouble with irons but hard to focus on 3 things now. All my rifles either wear irons or have QD rings with backup irons. I have a sweet 1B in 243 that is sightless but its my dedicated field hunting rifle so thats fine.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I have a 30-40 that I hunted with as a young man. The action is all orig but it has been rebarreled. The smith that did the work put a Readfield peep on it .

I used it as a primary big game rifle until I started hunting Elk . I then moved to a 06 bolt rifle. I have from time to time still hunted dear with it .

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Phoneman

I was looking at those two. The 799 one looks to be a good canditate to chop barrel to 20-22" and get drilled for peep. im not a fan of the tang safeties on the new ones. See what those 2 bring toward the end. If one works out ill have to pick yalls brain on who to do the work. I used to not have trouble with irons but hard to focus on 3 things now. All my rifles either wear irons or have QD rings with backup irons. I have a sweet 1B in 243 that is sightless but its my dedicated field hunting rifle so thats fine.

You can get a 1904 made 30/40 for $900

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

If you're gonna get a Japchester, you oughta at least make it look the part. This is the sight you need. http://www.peabodyrifle.com/sights.html

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B3

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I mounted this Providence Tool Co. #21 copy on my 80’s Vintage Browning.

[Linked Image]

Now!!!!! If you decide to do this you will and I say again, YOU WILL need to fabricate a front sight blade that is this high,

[Linked Image]

In order to get it to sight in.

This is because the manufacturer made the aperture base high enough to use one of the Marbles 3/4” screw in apertures. And you have to tap their aperture yourself if you want to use a screw in. They do not provide the screw in aperture. And if you want to use a screw in aperture you best use a Marbles as they are 10x32 thread. Lyman is a real bastid of a thread.

[Linked Image]

Now the quality of the Brownings and Japchesters to me is top notch. But what do I know?

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
.35 WCF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Founder

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
South Texas hunting weekend. ( just ignore the other guns).

[Linked Image]

Founder

WS

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Fine specimens sir. Im a fan of model 12 myself. Have a 1958 duck gun and a 62 16ga. The krag and the remington in .35 have always been on my bucket list

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Thanks phoneman! Thats a 1923 vintage 12 and the model 81 and 94 are young son’s. That 12 is my fav quail gun. wink

95 SRC is 1915 vintage and in .30 US Army ctg.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 06/13/18.

Founder

WS

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I took my 16 to arkansas 2 years ago and shot ducks on the side of the Cache. Those little green $1.50 bismuth shells added up quickly. They dont make em like that anymore

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

[Linked Image]

Now!!!!! If you decide to do this you will and I say again, YOU WILL need to fabricate a front sight blade that is this high,

[Linked Image]

This is because the manufacturer made the aperture base high enough to use one of the Marbles 3/4” screw in apertures. And you have to tap their aperture yourself if you want to use a screw in. They do not provide the screw in aperture. And if you want to use a screw in aperture you best use a Marbles as they are 10x32 thread. Lyman is a real bastid of a thread.

[Linked Image]

Now the quality of the Brownings and Japchesters to me is top notch. But what do I know?

Interesting - I have a Winchester repro in 405 Win with the Providence Tool #21 sight and it sighted in fine for me with the factory front sight.

Last edited by JGray; 06/13/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I don't know how old you are or how your eyes are so this may be completely irrelevant, if so then never mind... wink

That said, I'm 65 and definitely have presbyopia (old eyes) but have been doing a lot of shooting with peep sights the last few years. They work great as long as the front sight is far enough away from my eyes to be in focus, which in general terms means a barrel/receiver combo about 29" long - that's what a bolt action with a 22" barrel or an 1885 single shot with a 28" barrel runs. A small target aperture allows a shorter length but then that's not well suited for field work.

Which is a long way of getting to the point that if you shorten the barrel it will produce a much handier rifle but may be counter-productive to the sight picture. I looked hard at the Browning/Miroku 1895's for peep sight shooting precisely because they have a longish receiver with a 24" barrel that gets that front sight out there far enough for a really good focus. Not trying to say "do it my way" since again, this may not apply to you at all.

Either way, let us know if you get one. Those Brownings are nice rifles, I personally don't have a thing against rifles made in Japan. My 1885 is made by Miroku and and the fit, finish and accuracy is top notch. I've put both of those auctions on "watch" to see what those 1895's will bring these days.

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P

I don't know how old you are or how your eyes are so this may be completely irrelevant, if so then never mind... wink

That said, I'm 65 and definitely have presbyopia (old eyes) but have been doing a lot of shooting with peep sights the last few years. They work great as long as the front sight is far enough away from my eyes to be in focus, which in general terms means a barrel/receiver combo about 29" long - that's what a bolt action with a 22" barrel or an 1885 single shot with a 28" barrel runs. A small target aperture allows a shorter length but then that's not well suited for field work.

Which is a long way of getting to the point that if you shorten the barrel it will produce a much handier rifle but may be counter-productive to the sight picture. I looked hard at the Browning/Miroku 1895's for a peep sight shooting precisely because they have a longish receiver with a 24" barrel that gets that front sight out there far enough for a good focus. Not trying to say "do it my way" since again, this may not apply to you at all.

Either way, let us know if you get one. Those Brownings are nice rifles, I personally don't have a thing against rifles made in Japan. My 1885 is made by Miroku and and the fit, finish and accuracy is top notch. I've put both of those auctions on "watch" to see what those 1895's will bring these days.

It may depend on the rifle. I'm used to hunting with shorter rifles but there is a happy medium. My guide gun is handy, but sometimes I wish it had a 22" barrel like the full size. Id deffinitly like a peep on the 95. I guess it would depend how it feels when I got it in my hands. I have found that I can shoot a sourdough type sight more accurately with a peep than a bead type. I prefer a bead with a reg barrel sight though. I do fine with irons as long as I have good light, but prime time here in SC is dusk or dawn and it makes seeing those irons mighty tough. I had a Williams on my guide gun but decided to go with a 1.5-5 leupy with QD rings and reg barrel sights. I can raise and lower easier if I wanna shoot farther. I figured with the 30-06 and a 95, I could sight 1.5 high at 100 and be good for as far as I could see to shoot anyway. Put it on the shoulder and squeeze.

Does the 95's tend to shoot heavy bullets well? Id like to try some 220's. I like heavy for caliber bullets.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by JGray

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Interesting - I have a Winchester repro in 405 Win with the Providence Tool #21 sight and it sighted in fine for me with the factory front sight.

Yeah! I understand that the manufacturer changed the aperture holder thingy on their sights not long back. Mebbe a year or so? Because I took a pair of their sights off of a pair of a customers Japchesters about 4 ot 5 years ago and the old sights were a bit different (more Lyman-ish) than the pair I received back in February. Below is a shot of the manufacturer’s “caveat” card that came with the sights.

[Linked Image]

Founder

WS

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got a Browning 1895 re-bored to 35 Whelen and a Winchester 1895 ca. 1900 in 30US (30-40). Both produce nice groups. The Winchester has a full buckhorn rear sight (first one I've ever seen) and a very long barrel (I'm thinking 28 inches!) I'm at the other house right now so I can't check. All the blue is gone and replaced with a nice silver patina.

The Browning, on the other hand, looks new. I'm not too keen on the blocky shape of the forend but it doesn't interfere with it's use. The Whelen smacks pretty hard with the metal butt plate so I slipped a leather butt cuff on it. That really helps.

I've never hunted with either. My hunting with early 20th century rifles has been limited to my old Savage 99s.

Referencing kaywoodie's photo, I also have a Krag that shoots great and a couple Remington model 81s and a model 8.

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Couldn't specifically answer on heavy bullets but I assume it has the standard 1:10" twist as do most all .30-06 rifles so it should handle 220 grain bullets just as well as the rest of them. Being a Miroku I'd bet it would be as accurate as any lever rifle out there.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by JGray

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yeah! I understand that the manufacturer changed the aperture holder thingy on their sights not long back. Mebbe a year or so? Because I took a pair of their sights off of a pair of a customers Japchesters about 4 ot 5 years ago and the old sights were a bit different (more Lyman-ish) than the pair I received back in February. Below is a shot of the manufacturer’s “caveat” card that came with the sights.

[Linked Image]

That would explain it - I set mine up at least 10 or more years ago so must have one of the older ones.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
JGray! You lucky dawg! They are nice!!!! Yours is probably color case hardened isn’t it?

Founder

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
TexasShooter;

The original factory barrel lengths on the standard rifle in .30 US Army and .303 British were 28”! Sometime around WWI or soon after I believe they went to the 24” barrel on those two cartridge offerings in the std rifle configuration. I truely can’t remember just when now.

Funny! Take and set a standard ‘95 saddle ring carbine next to a standard 24” bbl rifle sometime. They aint just a lot of difference laugh. Other that 2” off the barrel on the SRC. The weight is dawg gone close to the same! laugh

Founder

WS

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
JGray! You lucky dawg! They are nice!!!! Yours is probably color case hardened isn’t it?

The rifle receiver is color case hardened but the sight is blued (not sure which you were referring to). It is my favorite lever action - shoots extremely well and all the negative feedback I've heard on the looks/ergonomics/balance of the 1895 turned out to be a non-issue for me.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
"All the negative feedback I've heard on the looks/ergonomics/balance of the 1895 turned out to be a non-issue for me."

DITTO!!!

Founder

WS

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That one 1895 on gunbroker started at $875 went for $1000 even. The other one started at $799 is only at $805 but still has two hours to go. The seller for that latter one seems a bit dodgy from the feedback, plus his description sends up signals to me that he's a real BS'er, but you never know, could be a real deal there.

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I kinda picked up on that too. I passed on both. One guy wanted $75 to ship it. Im not in a huge hurry and ill find the right one. Dont let that stop yall from posting some more pics and advice.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I picked the Browning in 30-06 as it is a closer copy of the original, it does not have a tang safety or rebounding hammer. The fit and finish are excellent. I use the Providence Tool sight without a screw in aperture, with a pre 1982 copper penny front sight blade, taller than the original sight. Slower heavier bullets will hit higher at 100 yards than faster 150 grain bullets.

You mentioned heavy bullets earlier. I shoot 220 grain Sierras and 220 grain Nosler partitions in mine with book loads of H4831, and get just under 2500 fps. The Nosler takes a .5 grain less powder to achieve the same velocity as the Sierra, and both shoot to near identical point of impact at 150 yards, close enough where no sight adjustment is needed. The Sierra rounds noses are priced pretty well, and if you get the 220 partitions as blems from Pro Shooters you can get a good deal. An inch and a half high at 100 will put you about dead on at 150 with these 220's, and about 9 inches low at 250 yards, about my limit on these bullets due to velocity dropping off for reliable expansion. A center hold from 0-200 yards will work with these loads.

Seeing the prices that JM marked Marlin 357's are going for these days, I think a Browning 1895 in good shape is a steal.

I hope this helps you out.

Last edited by mannyspd1; 06/26/18.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Harvested with 1895 Browning, 30/06, plain old Factory Remington 180 grn. RN corelokt ammo. 2015, second rifle. About 100 yard shot.

[Linked Image]

Founder

WS

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

478 members (007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 44 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,778
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.