-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 17 1 2 13 14 15 16 17
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tracy - glad the long drive went OK and that you are all home safe. It was a joy to have you and your girls in our midst - just wish I had been able to join in the .22 rifle learning fun with them and other youngsters. Very good stuff.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pine pitch is really bothersome. One of the good uses for WD-40 is dissolving pine pitch. Then, if necessary, a little soap and water removes the WD-40 and any remaining residue.

On an article of clothing, just a blast of WD-40 on the pitch, and then throwing the article in the washer usually does a good job. WD-40 works great on tape and sticker stickum, too.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Glad to see that my friends had a good time.... waiting for more pics of course...

Sad for myself, I couldn't make it to see all the fine friends from the campfire..but then I consoled myself, moving tons of heavy stuff in 100 degree plus heat, and enjoying all of this fine toxic forest fire smoke, that is thick enough to cut viability down to 100 yds or less at times....

Thank God for the couple thousand fire fighters were have camped out over here at a local middle school, being used as their base camp
and to hell with Forest Service Management for allowing these fires to start and let them burn until they turn into this every summer for 6 weeks or more.
at least we are not losing people's homes like down in Milos's home town... down I 5.

Glad everyone had a good time.. and hopefully someone thought of me, and had a good time for me in abstencia ( yeah I know I spelled that wrong)

didn't see any mention of Jeff ( Owl).. hopefully he was able to make it...didn't see any mention of Randy also....guess he didn't make it either..
really sorry I didn't get to be there and see Gene... I really like Gene, reminds me so much of my grandfather.. ornery as hell and loved by everyone.

Didn't see Ed 2 Many mentioned either....and couldn't image the hole of Blue or Bob the Kaywoody not being there either. as we get older, this twice a year to see you guys gets more and more dear to ones heart.... can't forget to mention Kent and Cheryl, and Jeff & Bunny also

Good health to all and look forward to seeing those thart make it to Roosevelt Lake...

Cheers and Best Regards
seafire and Judie.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
John,

The fat man was there, although he was very, very tired as I left the CPAP home and did not sleep well at all.

You were missed. Randy, Ed, Blue and Bob were unable to attend also. Just as you, they too had family functions or work issues pop up at the last moment.
All were missed.

You also missed out on new friends attending this year. Ron (not a campfire member... yet) cleaned house in the shooting sports. Gave us all a new enthusiasm
for getting out and practicing and loading.

Bobby (from Tucson) was there also.

The best part was to see all of the children of members there. and WOW, could they shoot !

A great time was had by all.

The fat man sleepeth...

[Linked Image]

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
John, You and Milo were in our thoughts. I am glad the firemen are there just as they were there for me last year. I am of similar thoughts of the government's handling of this situation.

Tracy

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
3. MilesPatton - 22/250 or .223 / waiting for info - (Miles?)

It was a 7mm08 improved. Same rifle that I missed the steel with. cry miles

Should have added that I made it home this morning. Everything OK except the grass needs mowing. miles

Last edited by milespatton; 08/07/18. Reason: Senile

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
2. elkhunternm - .280 RCBS / Mauser by Davenport / ? scope - Miles?)

Leupold, can't say which model without going to the trailer a looking. Haven't unpacked yet. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We came back the same way, across via Socorro, which was easier driving, though somewhat less scenic than up by El Malpais, and possibly a bit faster.

I was glad to have my son Robert along, since he did all the work in setting up and taking down our heavy tent, and he did almost all the driving.

I too commend the hugely helpful firearms instruction and supervision by High Noon and Ranger Green for the kids.

Both Robert and especially Mary found it so easy to learn and they absorbed the safety rules attentively to an extent that I as father could not possibly have impressed on them as well.

Sunday, as almost everyone had packed up, Mary was still asking me if she could shoot some more!

I wondered why my bill at The Gathering Place in Pietown was so high. Then, this morning, I noticed several more pies in the refrigerator that Megumi had sneaked out when I wasn't looking! Glad they enjoyed them.

I'd be remiss if I did not acknowledge all the great stories and good company, since I do greatly look forward to that. Yes, some great members couldn't make it this time –– and they were missed –– but other picked up the slack so well that I felt I barely got a word in edgewise! I do enjoy the insights and I pick up so much from others' experiences.

Norm

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CCCC
It's good to see the travel and home safe reports. Truly a fine gathering - the best of all aspects.

The shooting contests were very enjoyable - lots of good shooting and camaraderie. No such thing as polite total silence when someone is shooting - more like levity. Dennis did a great job setting up a fun steel shoot.

The outcomes:

Prairie Dog, 1/2 inch dot at 200 yards

1. RonT - .222 Rem/Winchester model 70 / Lyman 10x scope
2. dennisinaz - 22/250 /Savage SS / ??scope (Dennis, what was it?)

I was 4th after Miles. Since I was shooting a .300 RUM with 180gr bullets, I think I deserve Honorable Mention for biggest potential Splat of Prairie Dog... smile

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 08/07/18.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

I was 4th after Miles. Since I was shooting a .300 RUM with 180gr bullets, I think I deserve Honorable Mention for biggest potential Splat of Prairie Dog... smile

Patrick, indeed you do deserve honorable mention for such a splat factor - and your rifle/cartridge combo is very impressive.

Last edited by CCCC; 08/07/18.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It's good to see the travel and home safe reports. Truly a fine gathering - the best of all aspects.

The shooting contests were very enjoyable - lots of good shooting and camaraderie. No such thing as polite total silence when someone is shooting - more like levity. Dennis did a great job setting up a fun steel shoot.

The outcomes:

Forgot to pack the 30mm again this year?

Lets guess, the A 10 was 'in the shop'.....

I think you deserve VERY HIGH Honorable mention being able to shoot that cannon.....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Patrick, indeed you do deserve honorable mention for such a splat factor - and your rifle/cartridge combo is very impressive.

Splat factor. That rifle would make a splat factor out of my shoulder.
You are much man, Hondo.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, I stripped, cleaned and lubed the Ruger Mk I Gene gave to Julia. After 25 years without a cleaning, it certainly was filthy. The disassembly went smoothly. After a thorough cleaning and a bit of lubrication, re-assembly was easy and straightforward until I got to the mainspring housing. I had a couple of false starts after full assembly and finding that the bolt wouldn't move. The mainspring must be inserted with the hammer in the "fired" position, but what I didn't realize was that the hammer strut needed to be in the "forward" position. Once I realized this, and inserted the mainspring, the pistol operated properly.

Julia can't wait to go out shooting again, so thanks again to Gene for the pistol and to Miles for the nearly thousand rounds of ammo.

Oh, and Julia misses the puppy Chubs.

Last edited by High_Noon; 08/08/18.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Just in case everyone else missed it...

today August 9th.. was Ed 2 Many Letters Birthday...

all of his friends from Quemado should wish him a happy birthday in case you didn't get a chance to..

cheers and best regards...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green

Splat factor. That rifle would make a splat factor out of my shoulder.
You are much man, Hondo.

Thanks, it's really not that bad. The scope weighs nearly 2 lbs, and the rifle isn't that light overall. Both the RUM and the .220 Howell are what I call "no excuses rifles" - if you miss it ain't the rifle smile

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Next time I'll bring my varmint rifle. It'll make tex_n_cal .300 RUM look like a pea shooter. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Next time I'll bring my varmint rifle. It'll make tex_n_cal .300 RUM look like a pea shooter. wink

isn't that the one the prairie dogs call "Rolling Thunder"?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I saw David Ball,aka Paladin, kill a PD with a 477 Nitro.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Yes it is,Seafire.
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've shot Gunner's .577 - once. It was an honor to shoot such a fine rifle, but one shot made my teeth hurt. frown

.458/.475Turnbull I can benchrest with no problem. So my limit is somewhere between .458 and .577 smile

Page 15 of 17 1 2 13 14 15 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 59 invisible), 2,296 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,640
Posts18,455,339
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.