Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 16 17
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Paul, if y'all want possum stew, I will give it a go. Might find some reruns of The Beverly Hillbillies to get a recipe. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
ttt

Should be a sticky by now...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by milespatton
Paul, if y'all want possum stew, I will give it a go. Might find some reruns of The Beverly Hillbillies to get a recipe. miles
Well Miles, I have seen the insides of more than one possum - and will pass on that offer. But, would love to have a taste of your serious stew if ever we get the opp.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gentleman I am doubtful on making it. My job has changed some making it difficult, and this year we will be trying to get Stephen prepared for his freshman year of high school. Not to mention Gigi prepared for not having her brother with at the same school.
There is a very slim chance I could come up Saturday for the one night, but don't count me in any plans.

Have fun, be safe, and take pics.
Regards,
Tom

Last edited by THOMASMAGNUM; 06/22/18.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Paul, when a bunch of us get there early, I usually make a pot. You are close enough to just show up. smile miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’d like to make it but I ain’t hauling a travel trailer thru the desert in July or August again. Might can come and stay in a tent. I’ll decide in time to stake out my portion of the supplies.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tom - all of us understand that kids' needs come very first for Brandy and you, but we're going to be disappointed if we don't have you amongst us. Just last eve I was thinking about that first one up this way that you helped organize - we were at the lake in a parking lot because the landscape was parched and the forest was closed for fires - and I think you took the opp to do some fishing from the boat ramp.

Still hoping to see you here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by curdog4570
I’d like to make it but I ain’t hauling a travel trailer thru the desert in July or August again. Might can come and stay in a tent. I’ll decide in time to stake out my portion of the supplies.
Gene, it's high time you were here again. There's lots for us to talk about with you, and the shooting setup ain't bad - matter of fact, it's pretty nice. It will be good tent weather and nice spots to pitch 'em. Also note, Border Doc generously has offered a bunk or two in his trailer as might be needed. He's one fine fellow - don't know if he snores.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by milespatton
Paul, when a bunch of us get there early, I usually make a pot. You are close enough to just show up. smile miles

Miles, when that old bunch starts rolling in we will no doubt see them - so will tune our nostrils from downwind. If a whiff of your stew wafts by, I'll make the trip.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
ttt

Should be a sticky by now...

Yup.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by curdog4570

We did it last year in a 12x12 Cabela's XWT Outfitter tent that I had bought here on the Fire. It was darned heavy and a bear to set up, but it surely was big and comfortable for four people when it rained every day!

I don't think we'll have that rain this year. but it turned out fine last year and nobody seemed to mind.

This year I got a modest cargo trailer to carry all our stuff, but we'll still sleep in the tent. smile

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

KINDLY - - PLEASE - - - A STICKY FOR THIS THREAD !!!

mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Weekend Bump

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Still working out the details. I love packing lists and dreams of vistas along the road. The last ten years or so have been bitter but these gatherings are like an oasis to a parched soul. I am praying for rain, but selfishly as I love the smell of wood smoke and hope to gather around an actual campfire. Hearing elk bugle will just be frosting on the cake. If the night skies are clear, I cannot wait to show my girls the stars as they should be seen.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice post, Tracy. "Oasis" indeed. In driving to these parts there are some great vistas along the way and when stopping to rest a bit. if knowing your general route, others here and I can suggest some things to see.

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Paul, If all my plans happen as I've tried to schedule them in my head, I'll be there either Tuesday, or Wednesday.

Miles, if you're making stew, I'm bringing a large bowel and a big spoon. wink

Anyone else's cooking has to be better than mine !

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I will probably be taking I40 to Holbrook, then swing down to Show Low. East from there, through Springerville to Quemado, then south to Armijo Springs.

My fun part starts at the named towns. Everything before that is just spent time to get out of California. If I get lucky and squeeze out more time off, I hope to stop at El Morro for a picnic lunch with the kids. They are too young to appreciate history, but I want to plant a memory that will last their lifetimes.

I would gladly take any suggestions. In my line of work, and at my age, you never know if this will be the last trip.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Owl
- - - Miles, if you're making stew, I'm bringing a large bowel and a big spoon. - - - wink

Owl - maybe best if you bring your very largest bowels - never know how much or how long it will take for you to digest Miles' stew.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
I will probably be taking I40 to Holbrook, then swing down to Show Low. East from there, through Springerville to Quemado, then south to Armijo Springs. - - - I would gladly take any suggestions. In my line of work, and at my age, you never know if this will be the last trip.

Tracy - you named what is probably the shortest route - in miles and time. But. for me, the stretch on I40 from Flagstaff to Holbrook, and from there to Springerville, is not as scenic as a slightly longer trip.

If you have a bit more time, you can leave I40 at Winslow and drive south on AZ87 through some gorgeous forest to Payson and see more of the famous Mogollon Rim area by turning east on 260 at Payson to Show Low. From there, drive US 60 into NM. Even more scenic from Flagstaff would be to drive the road going southeast from Flag past Mormon Lake and through Happy Jack (may be Route 3) eventually to intersect AZ87 and then south to Payson, etc.

With some more time, you can leave I40 at Ash Fork, AZ driving south on AZ89 almost to Prescott, AZ, then turn east on AZ89A and go "over the top" of Mingus Mtn, dropping down through the old mining town of Jerome (still alive and interesting) then downhill and take AZ260 over to nearby Camp Verde and then east (that's a nice scenic drive - Gen. Crook Trail) to intersect AZ87 that comes down from Winslow and turn south on AZ260/AZ87 to Strawberry, Pine and Payson, then the aforementioned route on AZ260 and US60. If you wish any specific details for the above, let me know. Several guys on here know more than do I and can make suggestions. Wish I were making that drive again.

Last edited by CCCC; 06/23/18. Reason: more info

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
I will probably be taking I40 to Holbrook, then swing down to Show Low. East from there, through Springerville to Quemado, then south to Armijo Springs. - - - I would gladly take any suggestions. In my line of work, and at my age, you never know if this will be the last trip.

Tracy - you named what is probably the shortest route - in miles and time. But. for me, the stretch on I40 from Flagsaff to Holbrook, and from there to Springerville, is not as scenic as a slightly longer trip.

If you have a bit more time, you can leave I40 at Winslow and drive south through some gorgeous forest to Payson and see more of the famous Mogollon Rim area by turning east on 260 at Payson to Show Low. From there, drive US 60 into NM.

With some more time, you can leave I40 at Ash Fork, AZ driving south almost to Prescott, AZ, then turn east and go "over the top" of Mingus Mtn, dropping down through the old mining town of Jerome (still alive and interesting) then downhill over to nearby Camp Verde and then east (that's a nice scenic drive - Gen. Crook Trail) to the road that comes down from Winslow and turn south to Strawberry, Pine and Payson. If you wish any specific details and route numbers for the above, let me know. Several guys on here know more than do I and can make suggestions. Wish I were making that drive again.

This sounds so good that if I can't do it this trip, it will go on the Bucket List.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Page 5 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 160user, 53 invisible), 2,672 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,021
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.