-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 17 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 16 17
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tracy - saw your reply and went back to that post and added some routing detail, etc. - just in case you have time on this trip or wish to save the info. Those alternatives might add 1.5 to 4 hours to the trip - not counting stops, of course.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Watch out for cops in NM - especially in small towns as they rely on fines for revenue. Enforcement is merciless.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by Owl
- - - Miles, if you're making stew, I'm bringing a large bowel and a big spoon. - - - wink

Owl - maybe best if you bring your very largest bowels - never know how much or how long it will take for you to digest Miles' stew.

My oh my... I did say bowels didn't I. Sorry Miles, I meant bowl.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Owl
Originally Posted by Owl
- - - Miles, if you're making stew, I'm bringing a large bowel and a big spoon. - - - wink

Owl - maybe best if you bring your very largest bowels - never know how much or how long it will take for you to digest Miles' stew.

My oh my... I did say bowels didn't I. Sorry Miles, I meant bowl.
It's OK - no need to apologize.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
I will probably be taking I40 to Holbrook, then swing down to Show Low. East from there, through Springerville to Quemado, then south to Armijo Springs. - - - I would gladly take any suggestions. In my line of work, and at my age, you never know if this will be the last trip.

Tracy - you named what is probably the shortest route - in miles and time. But. for me, the stretch on I40 from Flagsaff to Holbrook, and from there to Springerville, is not as scenic as a slightly longer trip.

If you have a bit more time, you can leave I40 at Winslow and drive south through some gorgeous forest to Payson and see more of the famous Mogollon Rim area by turning east on 260 at Payson to Show Low. From there, drive US 60 into NM.

With some more time, you can leave I40 at Ash Fork, AZ driving south almost to Prescott, AZ, then turn east and go "over the top" of Mingus Mtn, dropping down through the old mining town of Jerome (still alive and interesting) then downhill over to nearby Camp Verde and then east (that's a nice scenic drive - Gen. Crook Trail) to the road that comes down from Winslow and turn south to Strawberry, Pine and Payson. If you wish any specific details and route numbers for the above, let me know. Several guys on here know more than do I and can make suggestions. Wish I were making that drive again.

This sounds so good that if I can't do it this trip, it will go on the Bucket List.

After doing both of those routes...

I usually do the South at Holbrook, Show Low, Stringerville and then Quemado south on the way there..

heading home I have more time to spend, so I do the Rt 260 to Camp Verde on I 17, and head north to
Flagstaff and then home...

From Kingman, instead of I 40, I get off and take Rt 66 East...to Seligman where it rejoins I 40..
I like it enough to take it again when heading home, from Seligman back to Kingman...

go thru 'downtown' Kingman on "Andy Devine" Drive ( old US 66) before heading north on US 93
soon to be Interstate 11 up toward Vegas....then north up US 95....

If I really have the time, I head north on US 93, until I hit US 50 and then take that across Nevada
dubbed " The Loneliest Highway in America" in like 250 miles, you go thru like 4 places that can
even be called a town...yet go by ruins of old stage coach Stops and Pony Express stops where
the ruins are still there to see...

https://unusualplaces.org/u-s-route-50-americas-loneliest-road/

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/nevada/haunted-road-in-nv/

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What is the route from Quemado to Armijo Springs CG?

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
According to google maps it is 32 South to County Road A022. I have never driven it though. Can't wait to.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Prwlr and Ranger_Green - et al - we will publish the old driving directions soon.

Thanks for asking. Once you hit Q, take NM32 south for about 18 mi. (you will pass mm 24), then left/east on A021 at the sign for Armijo Springs.

That gravel road goes about 4 miles to a "Y" where you bear right to the campground - very close by. Just listen for the braggin' and shootin'.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Prwlr
What is the route from Quemado to Armijo Springs CG?

From the western edge of Quemado, turn South off of Hwy 60, drive about 17.5 miles South on 32 (Google Maps says 17.7 miles), then turn East (left) onto FS Rd 854. Follow 854 (staying on the heaviest traveled part) for about 4 miles. You'll cross a couple of cattle guards, but keep going, you're not trespassing while you're on the road.

You can't miss the campground, you have to drive through the middle of it. grin Just look for the people walking around with big smiles and listen for gunfire.

Oh, and be very careful coming down 32 south of Quemado, particularly the farther you get out of town. As other posters have noted, the elk don't care where or when they cross the highway nor do they have any respect for you or your vehicle. eek

Ed

Edited to add; Looks like Paul beat me to it.

Last edited by APDDSN0864; 06/24/18. Reason: added text

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Watch out for cops in NM - especially in small towns as they rely on fines for revenue. Enforcement is merciless.
These small town cops - as in Socorro and Magdalena - do like the fines. But what they really enjoy is arresting Texans and holding them for ransom. Problem is, no one every pays up and rescues them Texans. You'll see them picking up trash and bagging it on the roadsides - orange suits. Drive carefully!

IC B3

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I must have been lucky. Two years ago (my last visit), I had a blow out on the rear drivers side of my truck. While pulling a 30' trailer. I Stopped to put the spare on.
A nice young deputy sheriff driving down the highway stopped to to observe. I'm sure that the real story is that he saw a pistol strapped to my side and wanted to know
what it was all about. Anyway, no tickets, no visit to the gray bar hotel. It might of helped just a tad when he asked why I carried a Glock and told him that it had been
issued to me by Sheriff Joe at MCSO. grin

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ttt

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Could anyone please post a "lessons learned" about camping there? What is necessary versus what is nice? That would help with the wife and kids.

I still dream about being "hard" and I still think I could hang with a Lean-to and poncho liner. The wife wants the Taj Mahal, but will have to settle for the new-to-me truck. I will consider compromises.

Thanks to all.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ranger_Green: Perhaps "hard" was an unfortunate choice of words, but your question really depends on your preferences. For this style of camping where weight isn't an issue, I personally favor the old ways over newer methods of camping. As such, I have found that an old BSA canvas wall tent, replete with 2 M38 army cots, an old Coleman duck flannel-lined sleeping bag and a 1949 vintage intermediate cold sleeping bag to be quite comfortable. A Deitz kerosene lantern, an axe/hatchet, a good pocket knife, a few canvas tarps, extra Manila rope, an old cook set with a spit and a few 'S' hooks, and a good cooler with ice/foodstuffs pretty much complete a comfortable camping set-up. A good broad-brimmed hat, good boots, sturdy canvas or cotton duck clothing, a few firearms and maybe an archery rig or pellet/BB gun for the kids (if they have proper instruction) are good ideas too. A few folding chairs and maybe a small table, a camera, a flashlight, leather gloves, bandanas, sun screen, Cutter bug spray, strike anywhere matches, a small bottle of Dr. Bronner's soap, a first aid kit, snacks for the kids, and a water cooler are extras that could come in handy.

If you're interested, I could PM you with my "Armijo Springs Camping Checklist."

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/25/18.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
If we are not already in the head count, add 3. The later time frame of this year's gathering had me worried we weren't going to make it due to back to school schedules but I was fortunate enough to run into Jace's band director right before he left for the summer and pulled the "spend quality time with grandpa" card. Since 90% of his Facebook posts are about his 1 year old granddaughter, I was pretty sure he'd agreed to not give Jace grief if he missed a couple of marching practices. We'll arrive at camp sometime in the wee hours between Thursday night and Friday morning. Jace is driving now so that should make the trip easier to accomplish late at night.

Fair warning gentlemen: Jocelyn has set a goal to win a few more of the shoots this year and I hear grandpa might be setting her up with her own rifle. grin

I'll bring my full camp kitchen and pitch in where ever needed. Just a suggestion, but once you've got a rough idea of what you want to do meal-wise, we could use a Google spreadsheet and share the link to the group with full editing rights. That would give everyone the opportunity to "sign up" to bring specific items or add to the list of necessary supplies for the weekend. Sample spreadsheet here: https://goo.gl/JVey3w Feel free to make changes and play around with the spreadsheet. It won't hurt my feelings if it doesn't work. It is just a suggestion. smile

The kids and I are looking forward to seeing everyone.

Few places in this world are more dangerous than home. Fear not, therefore, to try the mountain passes. They will kill care, save you from deadly apathy, set you free, and call forth every faculty into vigorous, enthusiastic action. ~ John Muir
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tracy - it's easy/level/friendly camping - some of us bring extra water - plenty for all.. For shelter, some go simple old-school (ask kaywoodie), some bring nice RVs. Quite a few tents. One guy named "D" sleeps in the bed of his pickup - makes his wife sleep under the truck. Compliant lady, that one.

The only weather threat is a thunderstorm - so provisions for staying out of that are smart. Normally we have a huge tarp strung up and that gives convivial rain shelter when needed. The kids like to run around in any rain that arrives - and get muddy - especially the little girls.

Better than the site at Tonto, there is a forest service toilet house in camp. I forget who sleeps in there.

Donelle - thanks for this surprise, and what great news - so glad you all will be here again. We sure need such kids. Since you are coming in well after dark, be sure to slow down and watch for elk along - or in - the roads during the last 70 miles or so - and especially the final 25.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Thank you Rick for making this thread a sticky. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes - Mr. Bin - thanks.

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tracy,

One year I slept under a pop-up canopy. Had it lowered down as low as it would go. And it rained like the dickins... But, we were dry. Although the other half at the time complained about the wind, and no privacy.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My youngster and I plan to attend this year. If folks want to avoid a ticket, wear a Stetson and have tobacco streaks down the side of the truck. For those who are kinda ramrodding this get together let me know what we can bring. I was at there just a couple weeks ago and the Elk were out in force on the road about sundown, just a bunch of slick heads, no bulls.

Page 6 of 17 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

205 members (17CalFan, 257_X_50, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 31 invisible), 2,117 guests, and 1,083 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,488
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.