Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 17 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 16 17
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great news H&M - The more the merrier.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Edtoomany - sure glad you are coming - and we may need a bit of your expert help for an hour or so, if you will. More later.

Folks - Ed's volunteered directions were quite good - but the local road numbering has changed a little faster than the mappers' ability to stay current.

Let me simply edit Ed's prose: "then turn East (left) onto A021 (not FS Rd 854). Follow A021 (staying on the heaviest traveled part) for about 4 miles. You'll cross a couple of cattle guards, but keep going, you're not trespassing while you're on the road."

At about 4 miles, where the road forks, FR854 begins to the left. Your right turn here has you in camp in about 100 yards or so.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Rick! Thanks for making this a sticky!!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To the ramrods of this " jamboree", do I need to round up some bowling pins? Might take a bit or it might be easy. Last I got, I was told the new ones had a warning on the box to not use for shooting. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Miles, I hunted around for a ramrod or two - none available right now - those may not exist. So, will start searching the jamboree storage area for bowling pins - quartermaster may have some. Will let you know ASAP.

P.S. Are the available new pins explosive - why the warning? If they are explosive, we may need a gross of those.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have no idea about the New pins, but the box that I brought last year was a new box with old pins. Had the warning about shooting on it, but no explanation. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Timely, as promised, here are the descriptions/rules for the shoots at Armijo Springs - outline form this year. OK - tune 'em up.

August 2018 Southwest Campfire Gathering
Shooting Competitions

(competing shooters may not use the same firearm as another shooter in same event)

FRIDAY 8/3
5:00 pm – Rimfire Shoot
Distance: 30 yards
Firearm: rim fire sporting rifle with open or aperture sights (no scope or lighted lens)
Position: any free position with various pods/shooting sticks OK, or at bench with firearm not touching
Time once positioned: 4 minutes.
Goal: smallest 5 shot group having at least one shot within the dot.

6:30 pm – Long Range .22 Rimfire Shoot Distance: 125 yards
Firearm: .22 rim fire sporting rifle, any sights (not dedicated target/competition type rifle/sights)
Position: any
Time once positioned: 5 minutes
Goal: smallest 5 shot group having at least one in the target spot

SATURDAY 8/4
8:00 am - Prairie Dog Shoot
Distance: 200 yards
Firearm: any sporting firearm with any sights (not dedicated target/competition type)
Time once positioned: 3 minutes
Goal: one shot, from a cold barrel, closest to center of a small dot (about 1/2”)

10:00 am – Center Fire Tight Group Shoot Distance: 100 yards
Firearm: any sporting firearm with any sights (not dedicated target/competition type)
Time once positioned: 5 minutes
Goal: smallest three-shot group with at least one shot in the target spot

1:00 PM Steel Shoot Distance: steels at approximately 100, 200, and 300 yards
Firearm: any sporting firearm with any sights (not dedicated target/competition type) Maximum case capacity is 30-06 size or smaller with max velocity of 3300 fps, to save the steel – honor system.
Position: any free position with various pods/shooting sticks OK, or at bench with firearm not touching
Time once positioned: 6 minutes
Goal: 6 shots with at least one at each distance; must call each shot; points according to distance
Shooting order determined by draw.

2:30 PM Bowling Pin Shoot Distance: 25 feet shooting at 5 bowling pins 18” apart on a table
Firearm: Handgun
Position: standing
Goal:Two shooters each match – winner is first to get all 5 pins off table. Double elimination format.
Rules:
For .17/.22 rim fire, pins are set 6" from the back of the table.
For.38 special/9mm and similar cartridges, pins are set in the middle of the table.
For cartridges larger than .38 Special, pins are set 6" from the front of the table,
18 shots allowed, but shooter must load only 6 at a time.
To compete with .17/.22 rim fire, participants must be age 15 or under.

Kindly submit any questions/comments on this open forum

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Thanks CCCC!

Looking forward to attending. My services are available for any necessary work details, including KP.

KW

Founder

WS

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Thanks CCCC!

Looking forward to attending. My services are available for any necessary work details, including KP.

KW

Bring your handy dandy knife or potato peeler.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Jeff, you know I will!!

Founder

WS

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bowling pins - Miles and Ben - checked in the garage and looks like I rescued 10 - with holes - will that do the job? Anyone bringing a bowling ball?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by CCCC
Bowling pins - Miles and Ben - checked in the garage and looks like I rescued 10 - with holes - will that do the job? Anyone bringing a bowling ball?

I can donate a couple of bowling balls....got 4 or 5 to get rid of...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Don't know what we would need a bowling ball for...probably wouldn't hurt to have some replacement pins, though. After consulting the Las Cruces yellow pages, it appears that there is a bowling alley on East Amador, although I sure have never noticed it. I usually get to Las Cruces at least once a month and I will see if I can scrounge up some pins without holes.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Ben, the bowling alley closed Saturday due to foreclosure.

mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just my luck!

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
Bowling pins? Miles, gave me a box of them last year to use on my pistol rage during hunting season, I put them in the range storage building, think they are still there will check and let everyone know. Rio7

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NMLady
Ben, the bowling alley closed Saturday due to foreclosure.

In that case, there may be some pins for sale really cheap - like maybe even free. Not that i"ve checked, but the market for used bowling pins can't be very strong. Maybe some free balls, too. If it turns out they are selling pins for cheap, please let me know.

Ben, the pins already having holes seem to fall over just fine - as long as they are not beginning to disintegrate we should be OK. Then again, we're going to need some new pins sooner or later.

Originally Posted by RIO7
Bowling pins? Miles, gave me a box of them last year to use on my pistol rage during hunting season, I put them in the range storage building, think they are still there will check and let everyone know. Rio7

Thanks Rio7 - looks like we may need some.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
On a Facebook site,the owners from 2004-08 are looking to purchase the alley. The tag didn’t give a date of anything happening.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I found a source for bowling pins if all other leads fail.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bowling-...&wl12=51446039&wl13=&veh=sem

I can order them delivered here and bring them to the camp if other sources are unproductive.

Niki and I will be dragging our old 26 ft camper to the Gathering, so an additional load of 30-50 bowling pins would not be a problem. We will be bringing extra chairs, tables, water and whatever else is needed. Niki is gluten-sensitive (Celiac disease), so we will be cooking some on her behalf- -breakfast stuff mostly- -and trying to stay clear of WHEAT, garlic, onion, peppers and such. And we live in New Mexico?

Thomas Magnum- - It would be such a special treat to see you. I hope that you can make it, although I certainly know how important it is to devote the right times to the young-uns. They will never forget your dedication as their father, and we can hope to catch up sometime later if your commitment elsewhere is needed.

Ranger Green- - Your kids will see some spectacular star exhibits with all the constellations. I have some things for you to take home.

All you other reprobates and lurkers- -get out of the hot, congested places, drive a few miles, do some sightseeing along the way, and commit, RIGHT NOW, to coming to Armijo Springs, New Mexico, meeting some Campfire folks Face To Face, and matching your shooting or cooking skills with friends you can enjoy. The joy of life is friends, family and faith. You will find them all at Armijo Springs.

“You must endeavour to enjoy the pleasure of doing good. That is all that makes life valuable.”
Robert E. Lee, in a letter to his invalid wife.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I don't have shooting or cooking skills,but I do have BS'ing skills down pat.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Page 7 of 17 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
699 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 73 invisible), 2,716 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,682
Posts18,399,706
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.