Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Mrs Walter inspired me to buy a trailer for camping with our little one in the Pacific NW.

I live in the TriCities, WA area.

Looking for recommendations on places to take this for weekends this summer.

It's a big trailer, so I'm looking for both remote locations and for paved campgrounds with swimming, etc. for our 12 year old daughter.

Thanks in advance.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Go take a run run for summer steelhead on the olympic peninsula! Or over to hood canal for some shellfish.

Semper Fi

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Do you just want to be away from things? For semi remote and primitive, take I-84 to exit 248 in Oregon. Go south about 1.5 miles to the Spring Creek FS campground. It's very primitive and small, only 4 spaces. It's free, too. You can also just pull off the road anywhere along there. It's very pretty and hardly anyone uses it. We travel from so. Idaho to Portland a couple times a year and we always camp there in warm weather. Usually we'll have it to ourselves. You can hear the freeway from there but it's not obnoxious.
The FS doesn't have it listed on their web site that I've found. We found it by accident 5 or 6 years ago.

[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A bit of a drive I think for you but about 17 miles south of Baker City you will be at Phillips Reservoir. Nice campground, great fishing and you can check out Sumpter which is down the road a bit. Or any of the other lakes in the area, super trout fishing in many of them!!

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Palouse Falls State Park should be a good choice

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The various Olympic Park camping areas on the north side. I live about 3 miles from the north boundary of the park.

If the road is open, up the Elwa river road, there are two campgrounds near the Ranger station.

Klaloch out on the coast. Cool place for the kids, right on the beach.

Klahoya on 101 just west of Lake Crescent. Right on the Solduc river, a neat place.

Hoh river campground way up the Hoh river road, A neat place! Right on the river. Elk herds around.

Do a little googling!

Survivor of the 13th Original Colony, I escaped on December 17, 1968.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Do you just want to be away from things? For semi remote and primitive, take I-84 to exit 248 in Oregon. Go south about 1.5 miles to the Spring Creek FS campground. It's very primitive and small, only 4 spaces. It's free, too. You can also just pull off the road anywhere along there. It's very pretty and hardly anyone uses it. We travel from so. Idaho to Portland a couple times a year and we always camp there in warm weather. Usually we'll have it to ourselves. You can hear the freeway from there but it's not obnoxious.
The FS doesn't have it listed on their web site that I've found. We found it by accident 5 or 6 years ago.

[Linked Image]

That's perfect. We're looking for the road less traveled, and close enough to get there often.

John Stark.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cabriolet
The various Olympic Park camping areas on the north side. I live about 3 miles from the north boundary of the park.

If the road is open, up the Elwa river road, there are two campgrounds near the Ranger station.

Klaloch out on the coast. Cool place for the kids, right on the beach.

Klahoya on 101 just west of Lake Crescent. Right on the Solduc river, a neat place.

Hoh river campground way up the Hoh river road, A neat place! Right on the river. Elk herds around.

Do a little googling!

Went backpacking there. That's a good idea!

John Stark.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
A bit of a drive I think for you but about 17 miles south of Baker City you will be at Phillips Reservoir. Nice campground, great fishing and you can check out Sumpter which is down the road a bit. Or any of the other lakes in the area, super trout fishing in many of them!!

Found info here: https://www.go-oregon.com/Phillips-Reservoir/#

It looks like a great place to try!

John Stark.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley

Found info here: https://www.go-oregon.com/Phillips-Reservoir/#

It looks like a great place to try!

All the area in NE Oregon is God's Country. Joseph Oregon is beautiful and Wallowa lake is popular, so maybe too many people there. I used to drive along all the rural roads within 100 miles of that corner of the state and find little campgrounds all over the place that were almost empty. Most along creeks or rivers of one size or another. One of my favorite places was along Hwy 395 north of Mt. Vernon Oregon. Little "town" called Ritter Hot Springs. Not much there. Camped along the river east of there a few miles and had bear come in at night to fish for the salmon that ran in the creek. Like I said, you really can't go wrong just hooking onto the trailer and driving NE Oregon. It's beautiful everywhere there.

Last edited by Fireball2; 06/13/18.

LOL
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There's several campgrounds on the drive from Joseph Oregon south to Baker City, plus the Oregon Trail interpretive center. Lots of creeks, fishing, views, game, quiet.

Last edited by Fireball2; 06/13/18.

LOL
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
spring creek is nice, lots of spur roads off that are good for exploring or camping as well. pm me for more ideas if you like

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Status pass has a nice state park. It tends to receive very little use. It's only about 90 minutes from Kennewick.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Cape Blanco near Port Orford OR, just off hwy 101. Light house and beach are a walk away. Well cared for camp ground. Not an off the beaten path place just a nice area to spend a few nights.

Deserve's got nuthin to do with it- Willam H Munny
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Based on your location and for short trips that don’t require hauling over the pass I’d look at Banks Lake Lake Chelan or Sun Lakes. Have fun making priceless memories. 👍

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A weekend at Unity Reservoir in Oregon might fit, State rec. area, nice campground, nice area.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you're going to drive as far as Baker, it's only 30 or 40 more miles to the big lakes in Idaho, Couer d'Alene and Pend Oreille.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Wallowas suggestion is good advice, if you don't mind some miles. (3 hours away).
It will be worth it. Maybe on a long weekend too, to gain another day.

Maybe go up the Tuccannon toward the Blues.
Or up the Touchet toward Bluewood.

(Trying to keep you somewhat close so the drive out and back isn't a killer.)

There are lots of paved campgrounds along the Columbia, Snake, etc.
but they are going to be just as hot and crowded (in my opinion) as camping in Tri-Cities.

Have fun.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
If you're going to drive as far as Baker, it's only 30 or 40 more miles to the big lakes in Idaho, Couer d'Alene and Pend Oreille.

True, and good advice here also. It will be a lot cooler than Baker too.
(Although I love Baker/Sumptner in the spring.)

Have Dog

Will Travel

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you are wanting to travel 6 hrs or less head east past Lewiston and from there you can go to Orofino to Dworshak dam, or travel up to Kooskia turn south onto highway 13 until you get to highway 14 and proceed to Elk City. Or you can leave Lewiston and turn south on 95 and go to Riggins or McCall. There are tons of camping opportunities in the central Idaho area and panhandle that put you in the mountains and can handle big trailers. Short hops outside of Dayton is the Tucannon area and outside of Pomeroy to the south you can access the rest of the blues. From your location there are tons of areas that you can camp at with your trailer. PM me if you want to know more. Just saw your post Wageslave, good job. The Wallowas are awesome and I get there often but camping if you have not made reservations by Jan. you don't get in unless you can find a RV spot in Joseph.

Last edited by BluMtn; 06/14/18.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 163bc, 204guy, 68 invisible), 2,486 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,541
Posts18,453,138
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.