Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by PHWILLIE
I got my copy yesterday and have really enjoyed his stories. The chapters on the old time writers was especially interesting. I started reading Sundra back in the 70's when he was with Shooting Times and he's still got it!

Ken

The first ST article of Jon Sundra's that I can recall, was an article of his on the .22Mag. vs. the 5mm Rem. Mag., way back when the 5mm was new and available. He went thru the virtues of both cartridges, and how the 5mm outshined the WMR.

It was an interesting article, for the time, and I could only dream about the rifles, as in rural Missouri, even the .22 Mag was exotic and uncommon. He also had a very good article about the .222 that I found interesting ( a case shaped like a miniature .30/06!).

I read his articles with great interest, but only because I knew I could never afford those "fancy" things, and could only dream of them. I was pretty lucky our little Rexall drug store even carried a couple of gun magazines (ST and G&A) on the magazine rack directly under the stuffed moose head, so I didn't have great dreams.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
When I was in college most of my elk hunting was done in far western Montana, close to the Idaho line. Usually camped out for a few days during open week.

One trip I had just come down off the mountain after killing something, a big mule deer if I recall correctly, and was hiking back down a Forest Service road toward camp when a new Cadillac stopped, full of orange-vested hunters. Two middle-aged guys sat in the front seat, and two teenage kids in the back seat. The driver asked if I wanted a ride, and since I'd just done close to 10 miles I said sure. He also asked if I'd like a cold beer, and I said yes again. He opened the trunk, which was absolute crammed full of stuff, not just a cooler of beer and soft drinks, but their rifles in cases, "spare" hunting clothes and other stuff. If they'd killed something there wouldn't have been any place to put it.

I believe it was the next year when I was hiking down the same canyon road and ran into a guy with one of the early Subaru 4-wheel-drive station wagons. He'd just killed a spike elk on the steep mountainside above, and after dragging the gutted elk downhill to the creek next to the road, was trying to use a length of cotton clothesline tied to his Subaru bumped to pull it across the creek. He'd ease out the clutch and the elk would move maybe a foot before the clothesline would pop, and he'd get out and tied the clothesline together and try again. I helped him drag the elk across the creek, but don't what he did after that, since there wasn't much room in the Subaru, though more than there was in the Cadillac trunk. He said he'd figure something out.

Also once saw a similar Subaru in Bozeman the last week of the season, a few years later, with a bull moose strapped to the roof. The roof had caved in somewhat, which probably helped the moose stay up there. Was curious what the story was, but the Subaru was parked in front of a store with only other gawkers nearby.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
... Ground clearance is bad, never saw one with 4WD or mud grips ...

DF-
Lamborgini does make a 4wd car --the URUS. A bargain at $200,000.

About 28 years ago one could obtain a "Rambo Lambo".
[Linked Image]
--Bob

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
When I was in college most of my elk hunting was done in far western Montana, close to the Idaho line. Usually camped out for a few days during open week.

One trip I had just come down off the mountain after killing something, a big mule deer if I recall correctly, and was hiking back down a Forest Service road toward camp when a new Cadillac stopped, full of orange-vested hunters. Two middle-aged guys sat in the front seat, and two teenage kids in the back seat. The driver asked if I wanted a ride, and since I'd just done close to 10 miles I said sure. He also asked if I'd like a cold beer, and I said yes again. He opened the trunk, which was absolute crammed full of stuff, not just a cooler of beer and soft drinks, but their rifles in cases, "spare" hunting clothes and other stuff. If they'd killed something there wouldn't have been any place to put it.

I believe it was the next year when I was hiking down the same canyon road and ran into a guy with one of the early Subaru 4-wheel-drive station wagons. He'd just killed a spike elk on the steep mountainside above, and after dragging the gutted elk downhill to the creek next to the road, was trying to use a length of cotton clothesline tied to his Subaru bumped to pull it across the creek. He'd ease out the clutch and the elk would move maybe a foot before the clothesline would pop, and he'd get out and tied the clothesline together and try again. I helped him drag the elk across the creek, but don't what he did after that, since there wasn't much room in the Subaru, though more than there was in the Cadillac trunk. He said he'd figure something out.

Also once saw a similar Subaru in Bozeman the last week of the season, a few years later, with a bull moose strapped to the roof. The roof had caved in somewhat, which probably helped the moose stay up there. Was curious what the story was, but the Subaru was parked in front of a store with only other gawkers nearby.

I'd have paid good money to watch them get the bull moose up onto the roof!

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Back in my very younger rabbit hunting days, 16 yrs old, the only way I could haul my five beagles was in a 1964/4 door chevy. You should have seen two-three of us in the front with five beagles going from front to back. It's seven wonders we didn't wreck and kill all involved....And when you got back home you wondered why "momma" asked you why you "stank" so bad.....LOL

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

I'd have paid good money to watch them get the bull moose up onto the roof!

Was thinking the same and wondered why not quarter the bad boy, make life easy.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Believe it or not, I know a bunch of Montana hunters who don't know how to quarter a big game animal--or don't want to. Instead they get it into a vehicle somehow, then drive it to a processor ASAP.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by BullShooter

[Linked Image]

I remember that... could not afford one.

I don’t know the story of Jon’s pic of set up off the roof.....

I thot maybe he was being comical.

Some folk don’t have a sense of humor. So Sad.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 06/17/18.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by BullShooter
... Ground clearance is bad, never saw one with 4WD or mud grips ...

DF-
Lamborgini does make a 4wd car --the URUS. A bargain at $200,000.

[Linked Image]
--Bob

Wow, if I’d have known, could have gotten one of those instead of a Z-71.

Oh well...

DF

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Lamborghini used to make tractors, farm tractors. That's how they got their start, making tractors for Italian farmers. Sorta like an 8N Ford, about the same time frame.

They STILL make tractors, apparently........................................and so does Ferrari, which I didn't know about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHQj6VrRH64

Last edited by ratsmacker; 06/17/18.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I wonder if they export them. Look like nice tractors.

DF

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Found my copy of Jon's 1988 "The Complete Rifleman" magazine last evening. Get to read it again for the ??????????????????? time.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Jon got me started on my collection of 7mms....he also had a fondness of fine wines

I don't always venture out into the sub-freezing darkness, but when I do, it is deer hunting season, and I carry a Remington. Stay hungry my friends.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Jon Sundra, a true Renaissance man of the first order... cool

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by oldguns
Jon got me started on my collection of 7mms....he also had a fondness of fine wines

He was also very influential in my interest in the 7 mm RM. I’ve had enuff of them to know that a good 7 RM would not be a bad choice as a 1 and done
c f Rifle. <for me>
In fact my T3x 7 RM is very satisfying.
Edit to add : ^^^ Lite SS & DM

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 06/19/18.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
BullShooter: If you give me your name and address I'll send you a signed copy of my 2008 Complete Rifleman. Gotta' take care of fans like you!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Hey Jon, I'll buy a complete set of your signed books,whatever you have available. How would I go about doing that?

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Jon Sundra, a true Renaissance man of the first order... cool

DF

Thanks, Dirtfarmer. I couldn't ask for a better accolade, though "a good writer" would come close. That's all I ever wanted to be.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
ruraldoc: Let me see if I can put a complete set of the Complete Rifleman together -- 1989-2011. I know I have only a few of the first couple editions, but quite a few of the latter years. However, in all honesty, I have no idea what to ask for a complete collection, or even individual copies for that matter. I've never been much of a businessman. Regards,

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
ruraldoc: Just want you to know that immediately after posting my reply, I spilled my first glass of wine of the day reaching for my reading glasses!

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

664 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 160user, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 3,040 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,264
Posts18,467,183
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.