Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Originally Posted by BullShooter
Jon Sundra wrote 25 posts on the campfire before his last visit five years ago. His user name was 7mm JRS. I'm looking forward to reading his book.

In a thread from about 2008 Sundra posted a photo of himself with his Lamborghini.
[Linked Image]
One hopes he didn't learn by experience about the need for padding in front of the muzzle on a car rooftop, especially on a Lamborghini.

If there is available a copy of his "Complete Rifleman" magazine, 11th edition from the year 2000, please contact me. My accumulation is otherwise complete. Thanks.

--Bob

Well, for what it's worth I used to own a Miata...

I still do, tweaked a bit for better handling and performance. As to the original topic, my book should arrive next Tuesday, just in time to head to the beach Friday. Perfect beach read, I'm thinkin'.

Last edited by shootinurse; 06/22/18.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
GB1

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I will have to order a copy, Hell I have a junkie old jeep. That’s way better than an old sports car!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by hanco
I will have to order a copy, Hell I have a junkie old jeep. That’s way better than an old sports car!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Yep.

Way mo better... cool

DF

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
One of each would be more than acceptable.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
When I was in college most of my elk hunting was done in far western Montana, close to the Idaho line. Usually camped out for a few days during open week.

One trip I had just come down off the mountain after killing something, a big mule deer if I recall correctly, and was hiking back down a Forest Service road toward camp when a new Cadillac stopped, full of orange-vested hunters. Two middle-aged guys sat in the front seat, and two teenage kids in the back seat. The driver asked if I wanted a ride, and since I'd just done close to 10 miles I said sure. He also asked if I'd like a cold beer, and I said yes again. He opened the trunk, which was absolute crammed full of stuff, not just a cooler of beer and soft drinks, but their rifles in cases, "spare" hunting clothes and other stuff. If they'd killed something there wouldn't have been any place to put it.

I believe it was the next year when I was hiking down the same canyon road and ran into a guy with one of the early Subaru 4-wheel-drive station wagons. He'd just killed a spike elk on the steep mountainside above, and after dragging the gutted elk downhill to the creek next to the road, was trying to use a length of cotton clothesline tied to his Subaru bumped to pull it across the creek. He'd ease out the clutch and the elk would move maybe a foot before the clothesline would pop, and he'd get out and tied the clothesline together and try again. I helped him drag the elk across the creek, but don't what he did after that, since there wasn't much room in the Subaru, though more than there was in the Cadillac trunk. He said he'd figure something out.

Also once saw a similar Subaru in Bozeman the last week of the season, a few years later, with a bull moose strapped to the roof. The roof had caved in somewhat, which probably helped the moose stay up there. Was curious what the story was, but the Subaru was parked in front of a store with only other gawkers nearby.

I'd have paid good money to watch them get the bull moose up onto the roof!

HuntnShoot;
Good afternoon to you sir, I trust all is well in your part of the world.

While this photo has been up here many times previously, with apologies I'll re-post for the sake of a couple thousand words on the matter.
[Linked Image]

On the subject of hunting out of a car, my first whitetail buck was shot just east of the Torch River in northern Saskatchewan and it ended up folded up whole into the trunk of a '74 Corolla - well mighta been a '73. I must confess it was a woolly bugger getting it out of there when it had rigored up a wee bit. eek

Lastly, I'll have to see about ordering Jon's book as I always enjoyed his writing and honestly it was his influence which led me to running fixed 6X scopes on my big game rifles for the past 35 odd years.

Anyway, again just some random Canuck thoughts on a hot Sunday afternoon and nothing more. All the best to you all this summer.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 06/24/18.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Love it!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Good read!!

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dwayne,

In 1997 I was one of several writers who put together a book titled THE COMPLETE HUNTERS CATALOG, and among other things we solicited short essays from a few dozen well-known writers. One was a Canadian, the late Jerome Knap, who along with writing quite a bit became a well-known booking agent for hunting and fishing trips.
(I am sure Jon knew Jerry, who I also contacted, asking him to write a short essay on handloading. He did, and it's in the book as well, explaining why handloaders always spend more money than non-handloaders.)

Here's Jerry Knap's story:

When still a young fellow I served a stint as a forest ranger in some of northern Ontario’s best moose country. One fall afternoon I was driving down a logging road in my government pickup when a scarlet-clad hunter jumped out of the bushes and excitedly flailed his arms about.
“Boy, am I glad to see you!” he shouted excitedly. “I just got a great big moose over there!”
“Congratulations,” I answered,” but what’s the problem?”
“The problem is I don’t know what to do,” the hunter stammered. “I’ve shot deer before, but no one told me how big a moose was. Can you come and show me what to do? And maybe take a picture of me with the moose? I’d be glad to pay you.” The man’s hands shook like poplar leaves in an autumn breeze.
“Yeah, I guess I’d better show you what to do,” I replied, shaking my head. “Payment won’t be necessary.”
The first problem was finding the moose. The man couldn’t remember exactly where to look, but eventually found the young bull, not very big as moose go.
The second problem was finding the rifle. While trying to take a picture of his moose, the man had laid his rifle down and couldn’t remember where. I finally found it 30 feet from the moose in a pile of slash. After emptying the magazine, I posed the hunter and his .300 Weatherby with the moose and took a roll of photos with his camera.
Next I dressed the moose, while the hunter marched around saying, “This animal is bigger than a horse.” It turned out he was a farmer from Indiana who’d had a bumper corn crop, so had decided to go moose hunting. He’d heard northern Ontario was full of moose, so drove up.
“How are you going to get this moose home?” I asked.
“Oh, I have a car on a side road up a ways.”
“Once this moose is cut up and wrapped, you’ll be able to get him into your car,” I said.
“Are you kidding?” the farmer said. “I’m taking this moose back whole! I want everybody back home to see him.”
I suggested he rent a U-Haul trailer, and that a few $10 bills would probably get a tractor with a fork lift from a nearby logging camp to load the moose. With that I left to do my job.
Returning a couple hours later, I found the Indiana moose hunter on the logging road with a tractor and a couple of lumberjacks, just finishing a bottle of Old Moose Hunter. The moose was tied to the roof of a big, late-model Buick.
The animal hung over the roof on all sides, and there was no way it would stay on for the ride down the logging road, let alone the trip to Indiana. Even worse, the moose had completely flattened the Buick’s roof.
“Well, that was a stupid fool thing to do,” I said, in slightly more colorful language. “It’ll cost a lot to get that roof fixed.”
“Don’t worry about that, son,” said the farmer. “In Indiana we got lots of Buicks, but we ain’t got no moose!”

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
John;
Top of the morning to you sir and thanks for the chuckle on the start of the last week in June - already!

I believe I can recall Jerome Knapp stories, but don't recall reading that particular one so thanks kindly.

The times were different back then weren't they?

Thanks again and all the best to you and Eileen this summer.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
My wife, after her recent divorce, wanted to keep her sons involved in hunting. As she had, no other vehicle, she took them antelope hunting in her old work car.....a ‘76, Pontiac Bonneville Brougham. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I remember getting strange looks during hunting season on poorly maintained, mountain top roads by hunters in 4x4 trucks while driving them in a 1996 Honda Civic hatchback. I took that car many places it probably shouldn't have been taken, on roads that it shouldn't have been able to traverse...

It carried more than one recently deceased critter in the back of it (deer & turkey from what I remember), but no moose. You had a decent amount of space in the back of that thing once you laid the rear seats down... laugh

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Jon Sundra--would you mind doing a write-up in a separate post here on the 'Fire extolling your favorite 3 to 5 rifle chamberings and give us the "whys and hows" of each? Something interesting and fun to read, like they used to publish in real magazines of the 70s and 80s?

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
DakotaDeer: I'll run the idea past the moderator, as I am not familiar with what's involved in writing article-like posts on this site. Thanks for your interest. JRS

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
That would be of interest to many of us here....

And fun too.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jwall
That would be of interest to many of us here....

And fun too.

Jerry

+1

DF

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
+2

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I was wondering what happened to the Boyd Jon Sundra sporter stock. I used one to build a custom pre-64/Krieger 6.5-284. It turned out well; I really like the stock shape and ergonomics.

Boyd no longer lists that stock. I don't like their current classic stock nearly as much.

DF

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
DF: That’s a real purty gun. But it needs to b a little more shiny grin

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by southtexas
DF: That’s a real purty gun. But it needs to b a little more shiny grin

More sheen than shiny in the flesh. Picture gives it that effect.

It’s the shape that’s so neat. I wish Boyd’s still offered it. Boyd inletting is excellent.

DF

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I designed that stock when I was consulting for them. When they decided they didn't need me anymore, they removed my name and it morphed into a slightly different geometry. Even when it wore my name, it was thicker in the wrist than I specified. JRS

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

392 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1eyedmule, 1_deuce, 40 invisible), 1,906 guests, and 967 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,719
Posts18,457,200
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.