Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I know there are many Jon Sundra fans on the Campfire, who might be interested to know he just published his first book--with a title that's obviously a play on Elmer Keith's autobiography. It was published by Safari Press, and includes a good-sized section of color photos from 50 years ago to the present.

Jon and I have been friends for quite a while, but he's been in the gun-writing business far longer, since he decided that's what he wanted to do in his 20's, while I kind of stumbled into it in my 40's. Subtitled "Fifty Years a Gunwriter," the book takes you from breaking into the business to his hunting trips all over the world.

While the book is all very interestng, among the most fascinating parts to me were his encounters and adventures with other writers of the era. One section contains entire chapters on various gun-writers. The first is Elmer Keith, andits very interesting that Jon and Elmer got along great, despite having very different upbringings, with Elmer growing up in a rural family as a meat-hunter, while Jon's family didn't hunt, and he prefers fine cuisine (which he's very good at cooking) to Elmer's basic subsistence hunting. But they were kindred spirits in other ways.

There are also chapters on Jack O'Connor (who Jon didn't get along with as well as Elmer, but once sent Jon a nice note on his writing, reproduced in the book), Charles Askins, Bob Milek and Bill Jordan, along with personal encounters with various oter writers of a previous era. They're all interesting to those of us who grew up reading gun/hunting magazines in those days.

Then there are the hunting stories. Jon's gone on more than 100 hunts in other countries around the world, including taking all of the African Big Five with, as I recall, single-shot rifles. He's been on so many hunts in the U.S. he can't count 'em, and long been an avid wildcatter--and sports car nut, a combination not unknown in the business. He's the only gun writer I know who drives a Lamborghini....actually, several Lamborghinis.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ought to be worth the read, thanks for the heads up!

D

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Sounds interesting. Thanks for the heads up.

I knew he was into fine sports cars. I liked the Jon Sundra Classic stock that Boyd carried for a time. Boyd later dropped that offering. I really like the shape, built a 6.5-284 Krieger/Pre-64 using that stock. Wish it was still available.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got my copy yesterday and have really enjoyed his stories. The chapters on the old time writers was especially interesting. I started reading Sundra back in the 70's when he was with Shooting Times and he's still got it!

Ken

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Always liked Jon's writing. Exchanged a couple e-mails with him, and he was very pleasant and helpful. I'll have to pick up that book.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
IC B2

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Thanks JB. I’ve got to check onit.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Thnx M D

I’ve been a fan of JRS since the 70s EVEN tho he cost me a lot of money. smirk
He’s the reason I have a 6mm Rem, 7 mm RM & 8 mm RM. cool I learned a lot from his writings and experiments.

I was reading JRS and the others you mentioned before I knew who you were. That was only because of the time differential you mentioned
about your beginning later. Actually I had almost dropped all my Mag subscriptions before I ever knew who you were.

Thnx for this heads up. I’ll be looking for my copy ASAP. wink

[Linked Image]

His name doesn't show in the pic but J R S wrote that intro of the Rem Big 8.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 06/14/18.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
There are some writers that disappear and you don't notice it, I noticed Jon wasn't around.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Have it on order,supposed to be here Monday.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wish I could have met him and some of the other writers he wrote about. Order is in. Thanks

Last edited by Bugger; 06/15/18.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jerry,

Well, there's another "time differential" between me and Jon aside from when we started gun writing: He's about a dozen years older than I am. Put that together with him starting to regularly write for gun magazines in his late 20's, and me not starting until around 40, and you get a gap of about 25 years!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Then there are the hunting stories. Jon's gone on more than 100 hunts in other countries around the world, including taking all of the African Big Five with, as I recall, single-shot rifles. He's been on so many hunts in the U.S. he can't count 'em, and long been an avid wildcatter--and sports car nut, a combination not unknown in the business. He's the only gun writer I know who drives a Lamborghini....actually, several Lamborghinis.

I had no idea writing gun articles paid so well!

Politics is War by Other Means
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Tyrone

I had no idea writing gun articles paid so well!

Jon has other gigs...

DF

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I just ordered a copy. The Safariland write-up mentioned George Nonte, whom I had forgotten.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I'll be ordering one too.

Jon is one of my favorite writers, and most responsible for getting me hooked on 7mm cartridges.

So much so that I even built a really nice custom 700 in his wildcat 7mm JRS. Probably the one rifle I most regret trading away.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Guess I'll be spending a couple more bucks today.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for the lead John,

I've spent more of my limited retirement check now!

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Saw the name bob milek man he was one hell of a gun writer too. Loved his articles on the 243 Winchester.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Didn’t get along with O’Conner......hell, that’s reason enough to buy his book! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by memtb
Didn’t get along with O’Conner......hell, that’s reason enough to buy his book! memtb

JOC was a self-made man and worshipped his creator, or so it seemed to me.

Jon on the other hand was a great writer.

And as for JB, how in the world did you find time to write so much when you started in your 40's.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

There are also chapters on Jack O'Connor (who Jon didn't get along with [/b]as well as with Elmer[b], but once sent Jon a nice note on his writing, reproduced in the book),

That surprises me a little given Jon’s propensity for high velocity, even as MD alluded to their other preferences.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bugger,

Started selling magazine articles in my early 20's, and been making most of my living as a writer since my late 20's, just like Jon--but not strictly as a gun writer, as he did.

Have written about far more subjects, for a wider variety of magazines, including National Geographic and Sports Illustrated, including "natural" and human history. Have also published 10 books on more widely varied as well, on subjects from flyfishing to bird hunting (including one on shotguns for wingshooting) to hunting stories

John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Thanks for the heads up on the book. Just ordered a copy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks from me , also.......... Gonna need a copy of that one. Sounds like one heckuva good read.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Jon Sundra is was of the very good guys. I have always enjoyed his writing.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Honestly, have never been a fan of Sundra.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Brad
Honestly, have never been a fan of Sundra.

Same here!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 'writers' , books and magazines have been replaced by this internet we are reading here!

We are now the 'gun writers', the local newspaper is closed and filled with bicycle storage, there is no paper boy any more!

Sundra was fine with me but his job is obsolete.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Jon Sundra wrote 25 posts on the campfire before his last visit five years ago. His user name was 7mm JRS. I'm looking forward to reading his book.

In a thread from about 2008 Sundra posted a photo of himself with his Lamborghini.
[Linked Image]
One hopes he didn't learn by experience about the need for padding in front of the muzzle on a car rooftop, especially on a Lamborghini.

If there is available a copy of his "Complete Rifleman" magazine, 11th edition from the year 2000, please contact me. My accumulation is otherwise complete. Thanks.

--Bob

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
John, did he come from money? Most writers don't have and drive a Lamborghinis. powdr

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've always wanted a .........................................7mm JRS laugh

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This is beyond lame... it's pathetic.

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Can't fit any elk meat in that thing!

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
How old is Jon now?

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
powdr,

John's father was a Cleveland policeman, and his mother a housewife, at least while he was growing up. So no, he didn't some from money.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
postoak,

Jon is 78.

John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

grin

Ground clearance is bad, never saw one with 4WD or mud grips...

Useless to me...

But, they do have style...

Agree with the post about burning the paint with muzzle blast. I see he has a pad in place.

Diffrent strokes for different folks, not my cup of tea...

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jon was into sports cars from young adulthood, including doing some racing.

As I noted ealier in this thread, "performance" cars aren't an unusual addiction for rifle loonies, but they obviously don't use them for hunting. (Though Jon might have been shooting groundhogs, as they're known in the East, from the roof of his Lamborghini.) I know of a couple other well-known gun writers who're into sports cars, along with several non-writer rifle loonies, and one really well-known gun writer is really still into American "muscle cars," though I believe he's also in his 70's now. Brad O'Connor, Jack O'Connor's son, really likes fast Italian cars. In fact he drove one from his home near Seattle to his last prairie dog shoot in Montana, though once he rode into the PD country with friends in their pickups.

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

Think long legged blonds, redheads and brunettes! Won't take it home to moma but it is a nice looking Lambo .Had promised myself a new Corvette when my son graduated college. Went shopping and found myself thinking this is cool but. Can't pull the horses and trailer , won't hold 4 ice chests a tent my bow or rifle. Still liking my 4 door short bed 4x4 truck.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Some of my most favorite writers over the years have been, Seyfried, Barsness and of course Jon Sundra. I still have many magazines stashed away...

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by PHWILLIE
I got my copy yesterday and have really enjoyed his stories. The chapters on the old time writers was especially interesting. I started reading Sundra back in the 70's when he was with Shooting Times and he's still got it!

Ken

The first ST article of Jon Sundra's that I can recall, was an article of his on the .22Mag. vs. the 5mm Rem. Mag., way back when the 5mm was new and available. He went thru the virtues of both cartridges, and how the 5mm outshined the WMR.

It was an interesting article, for the time, and I could only dream about the rifles, as in rural Missouri, even the .22 Mag was exotic and uncommon. He also had a very good article about the .222 that I found interesting ( a case shaped like a miniature .30/06!).

I read his articles with great interest, but only because I knew I could never afford those "fancy" things, and could only dream of them. I was pretty lucky our little Rexall drug store even carried a couple of gun magazines (ST and G&A) on the magazine rack directly under the stuffed moose head, so I didn't have great dreams.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
When I was in college most of my elk hunting was done in far western Montana, close to the Idaho line. Usually camped out for a few days during open week.

One trip I had just come down off the mountain after killing something, a big mule deer if I recall correctly, and was hiking back down a Forest Service road toward camp when a new Cadillac stopped, full of orange-vested hunters. Two middle-aged guys sat in the front seat, and two teenage kids in the back seat. The driver asked if I wanted a ride, and since I'd just done close to 10 miles I said sure. He also asked if I'd like a cold beer, and I said yes again. He opened the trunk, which was absolute crammed full of stuff, not just a cooler of beer and soft drinks, but their rifles in cases, "spare" hunting clothes and other stuff. If they'd killed something there wouldn't have been any place to put it.

I believe it was the next year when I was hiking down the same canyon road and ran into a guy with one of the early Subaru 4-wheel-drive station wagons. He'd just killed a spike elk on the steep mountainside above, and after dragging the gutted elk downhill to the creek next to the road, was trying to use a length of cotton clothesline tied to his Subaru bumped to pull it across the creek. He'd ease out the clutch and the elk would move maybe a foot before the clothesline would pop, and he'd get out and tied the clothesline together and try again. I helped him drag the elk across the creek, but don't what he did after that, since there wasn't much room in the Subaru, though more than there was in the Cadillac trunk. He said he'd figure something out.

Also once saw a similar Subaru in Bozeman the last week of the season, a few years later, with a bull moose strapped to the roof. The roof had caved in somewhat, which probably helped the moose stay up there. Was curious what the story was, but the Subaru was parked in front of a store with only other gawkers nearby.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
... Ground clearance is bad, never saw one with 4WD or mud grips ...

DF-
Lamborgini does make a 4wd car --the URUS. A bargain at $200,000.

About 28 years ago one could obtain a "Rambo Lambo".
[Linked Image]
--Bob

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
When I was in college most of my elk hunting was done in far western Montana, close to the Idaho line. Usually camped out for a few days during open week.

One trip I had just come down off the mountain after killing something, a big mule deer if I recall correctly, and was hiking back down a Forest Service road toward camp when a new Cadillac stopped, full of orange-vested hunters. Two middle-aged guys sat in the front seat, and two teenage kids in the back seat. The driver asked if I wanted a ride, and since I'd just done close to 10 miles I said sure. He also asked if I'd like a cold beer, and I said yes again. He opened the trunk, which was absolute crammed full of stuff, not just a cooler of beer and soft drinks, but their rifles in cases, "spare" hunting clothes and other stuff. If they'd killed something there wouldn't have been any place to put it.

I believe it was the next year when I was hiking down the same canyon road and ran into a guy with one of the early Subaru 4-wheel-drive station wagons. He'd just killed a spike elk on the steep mountainside above, and after dragging the gutted elk downhill to the creek next to the road, was trying to use a length of cotton clothesline tied to his Subaru bumped to pull it across the creek. He'd ease out the clutch and the elk would move maybe a foot before the clothesline would pop, and he'd get out and tied the clothesline together and try again. I helped him drag the elk across the creek, but don't what he did after that, since there wasn't much room in the Subaru, though more than there was in the Cadillac trunk. He said he'd figure something out.

Also once saw a similar Subaru in Bozeman the last week of the season, a few years later, with a bull moose strapped to the roof. The roof had caved in somewhat, which probably helped the moose stay up there. Was curious what the story was, but the Subaru was parked in front of a store with only other gawkers nearby.

I'd have paid good money to watch them get the bull moose up onto the roof!

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Back in my very younger rabbit hunting days, 16 yrs old, the only way I could haul my five beagles was in a 1964/4 door chevy. You should have seen two-three of us in the front with five beagles going from front to back. It's seven wonders we didn't wreck and kill all involved....And when you got back home you wondered why "momma" asked you why you "stank" so bad.....LOL

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

Was thinking the same and wondered why not quarter the bad boy, make life easy.

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Believe it or not, I know a bunch of Montana hunters who don't know how to quarter a big game animal--or don't want to. Instead they get it into a vehicle somehow, then drive it to a processor ASAP.

John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by BullShooter

[Linked Image]

I remember that... could not afford one.

I don’t know the story of Jon’s pic of set up off the roof.....

I thot maybe he was being comical.

Some folk don’t have a sense of humor. So Sad.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 06/17/18.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
... Ground clearance is bad, never saw one with 4WD or mud grips ...

DF-
Lamborgini does make a 4wd car --the URUS. A bargain at $200,000.

[Linked Image]
--Bob

Wow, if I’d have known, could have gotten one of those instead of a Z-71.

Oh well...

DF

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Lamborghini used to make tractors, farm tractors. That's how they got their start, making tractors for Italian farmers. Sorta like an 8N Ford, about the same time frame.

They STILL make tractors, apparently........................................and so does Ferrari, which I didn't know about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHQj6VrRH64

Last edited by ratsmacker; 06/17/18.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I wonder if they export them. Look like nice tractors.

DF

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Found my copy of Jon's 1988 "The Complete Rifleman" magazine last evening. Get to read it again for the ??????????????????? time.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Jon got me started on my collection of 7mms....he also had a fondness of fine wines

I don't always venture out into the sub-freezing darkness, but when I do, it is deer hunting season, and I carry a Remington. Stay hungry my friends.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Jon Sundra, a true Renaissance man of the first order... cool

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by oldguns
Jon got me started on my collection of 7mms....he also had a fondness of fine wines

He was also very influential in my interest in the 7 mm RM. I’ve had enuff of them to know that a good 7 RM would not be a bad choice as a 1 and done
c f Rifle. <for me>
In fact my T3x 7 RM is very satisfying.
Edit to add : ^^^ Lite SS & DM

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 06/19/18.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
BullShooter: If you give me your name and address I'll send you a signed copy of my 2008 Complete Rifleman. Gotta' take care of fans like you!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Hey Jon, I'll buy a complete set of your signed books,whatever you have available. How would I go about doing that?

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

DF

Thanks, Dirtfarmer. I couldn't ask for a better accolade, though "a good writer" would come close. That's all I ever wanted to be.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
ruraldoc: Let me see if I can put a complete set of the Complete Rifleman together -- 1989-2011. I know I have only a few of the first couple editions, but quite a few of the latter years. However, in all honesty, I have no idea what to ask for a complete collection, or even individual copies for that matter. I've never been much of a businessman. Regards,

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
ruraldoc: Just want you to know that immediately after posting my reply, I spilled my first glass of wine of the day reaching for my reading glasses!

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Nice to hear from you Jon! I'm also a fan and have a number of volumes of the Complete Rifleman sitting on my shelves.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 7mmJRS
ruraldoc: Let me see if I can put a complete set of the Complete Rifleman together -- 1989-2011. I know I have only a few of the first couple editions, but quite a few of the latter years. However, in all honesty, I have no idea what to ask for a complete collection, or even individual copies for that matter. I've never been much of a businessman. Regards,

I want to get an autographed copy of your new book for sure,and whatever else you can scape together will be fine.

I also have a set of Patrick F McManus books autographed,but I'm not sure what that says about my taste or your writing. grin

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
BullShooter: If you give me your name and address I'll send you a signed copy of my 2008 Complete Rifleman. Gotta' take care of fans like you!

Jon-
A 24hroucampfire Private Message with my mailing information should be waiting for you. Thank you!

--Bob

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

DF

Thanks, Dirtfarmer. I couldn't ask for a better accolade, though "a good writer" would come close. That's all I ever wanted to be.

Well, that goes without saying. You got that covered, too.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I still have The Complete Rifleman volume 1 number 1 1989 and volume 2 number 1 1990 and one from 2011.
I'm going to order Sundra's book, Sure would like an autographed copy though.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cool....7mmJRS is on the site! Ordered my copy of the book from Safari a couple days ago, and look forward to reading it.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My copy was on my porch when i arrived home from erand running today. Ordered friday , incredibly packaged I must say.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks, guys, for all the kind words; they're much appreciated. They make me feel I chose the right path after all!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
How about a brief synopsis of your sports car interests.

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
MD, I had no idea your gunwriting career didn’t start until you were in your forties.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Just ordered a copy. Looking forward to reading it.

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
kingston,

I sold a few gun articles before 40, maybe a dozen, but didn't start selling 'em regularly until around 40.

Sold my first magazine article at 22, and have been making my living writing since about the age when Jon started, my late 20's.

John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
kingston,

I sold a few gun articles before 40, maybe a dozen, but didn't start selling 'em regularly until around 40.

Sold my first magazine article at 22, and have been making my living writing since about the age when Jon started, my late 20's.

That makes more sense—not that I’m working on a biography, but I am in my forties...

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jon Sundra wrote 25 posts on the campfire before his last visit five years ago. His user name was 7mm JRS. I'm looking forward to reading his book.

In a thread from about 2008 Sundra posted a photo of himself with his Lamborghini.
[Linked Image]
One hopes he didn't learn by experience about the need for padding in front of the muzzle on a car rooftop, especially on a Lamborghini.

If there is available a copy of his "Complete Rifleman" magazine, 11th edition from the year 2000, please contact me. My accumulation is otherwise complete. Thanks.

--Bob

Well, for what it's worth I used to own a Miata...

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
My copy came today. It is very well packaged.

I read it tonight straight through. I did put it down during supper, but returned to it immediately afterward.

If I may, I was struck by the discussion of Sasha Siemel, whom I read about decades ago. At that time, I conjured him being at a NYC cocktail party and responding to a question of "What do you do for a living, Sasha?" with a reply of "I hunt jaguars with a spear." That would be hard to top.

I am just a little younger than the author, so I can relate to the magazines and authors that JRS brought back to mind from a different perspective. I appreciated them being brought back to mind.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Jon, I would say a great writer. Thanks to your writing I have 2 7RM's and 2 280's. 270 and 30-06 have not been shot for over 20 years but as they are from family I will always keep. The logic you communicated so well is why my other one is a 6.5 x 55. All are efficient at what they were designed for. Just want to say thank you. I have 3 of your annual editions and have read them several times. Moved more than once over 2,000 miles but they still are with me. Enjoy your life; you have given enough enjoyment to others to have truly earned it. A pleasure to find you are here!

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Finished "Hell,I'm Still Here 50 years a Gunwriter" last night and I will say this,I enjoyed it immensely! smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
... Well, for what it's worth I used to own a Miata...
Pat-
I still own a 1968 Datsun Roadster 1600. It looks sort of like the one in the linked image below, but mine has large attractive patches of Bondo, stock wheels, and trim that most people mistake for rust. It does run, though.
--Bob
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pat-
I still own a 1968 Datsun Roadster 1600. It looks sort of like the one in the linked image below, but mine has large attractive patches of Bondo, stock wheels, and trim that most people mistake for rust. It does run, though.
--Bob
[Linked Image]

Small sports cars are fun - responsive and quick handling, like a nice lightweight rifle. It was great fun driving the Miata through the Sierra Nevada on a nice day, with the top down. But I swear that car halved the IQ of surrounding drivers. I had one incident after another where people either cut me off or otherwise nearly ran over me. A couple times it was obviously deliberate on their part.

I also went down Hwy 46 in California one time, and stopped at the memorial to James Dean, the actor who died in 1955. Dean was killed in his Porsche when another driver failed to see the small silver two seater at twilight, as the highways merged. Small silver cars blend into the road and are not obvious to other drivers, and yeah mine was also silver, just like Dean's.

I might get another, but it will be red or some other bright color. smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Pat-
--Bob
[Linked Image]

Small sports cars are fun - responsive and quick handling, like a nice lightweight rifle. It was great fun driving the Miata through the Sierra Nevada on a nice day, with the top down. But I swear that car halved the IQ of surrounding drivers. I had one incident after another where people either cut me off or otherwise nearly ran over me. A couple times it was obviously deliberate on their part.

I also went down Hwy 46 in California one time, and stopped at the memorial to James Dean, the actor who died in 1955. Dean was killed in his Porsche when another driver failed to see the small silver two seater at twilight, as the highways merged. Small silver cars blend into the road and are not obvious to other drivers, and yeah mine was also silver, just like Dean's.

I might get another, but it will be red or some other bright color. smile

Speed trap radar cops are attracted to red sports cars like bugs to a light... wink

DF

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

[Linked Image]

--Bob

I still do, tweaked a bit for better handling and performance. As to the original topic, my book should arrive next Tuesday, just in time to head to the beach Friday. Perfect beach read, I'm thinkin'.

Last edited by shootinurse; 06/22/18.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I will have to order a copy, Hell I have a junkie old jeep. That’s way better than an old sports car!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by hanco
I will have to order a copy, Hell I have a junkie old jeep. That’s way better than an old sports car!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Yep.

Way mo better... cool

DF

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
One of each would be more than acceptable.

Robert E. Howard
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

HuntnShoot;
Good afternoon to you sir, I trust all is well in your part of the world.

While this photo has been up here many times previously, with apologies I'll re-post for the sake of a couple thousand words on the matter.
[Linked Image]

On the subject of hunting out of a car, my first whitetail buck was shot just east of the Torch River in northern Saskatchewan and it ended up folded up whole into the trunk of a '74 Corolla - well mighta been a '73. I must confess it was a woolly bugger getting it out of there when it had rigored up a wee bit. eek

Lastly, I'll have to see about ordering Jon's book as I always enjoyed his writing and honestly it was his influence which led me to running fixed 6X scopes on my big game rifles for the past 35 odd years.

Anyway, again just some random Canuck thoughts on a hot Sunday afternoon and nothing more. All the best to you all this summer.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 06/24/18.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Love it!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Good read!!

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dwayne,

In 1997 I was one of several writers who put together a book titled THE COMPLETE HUNTERS CATALOG, and among other things we solicited short essays from a few dozen well-known writers. One was a Canadian, the late Jerome Knap, who along with writing quite a bit became a well-known booking agent for hunting and fishing trips.
(I am sure Jon knew Jerry, who I also contacted, asking him to write a short essay on handloading. He did, and it's in the book as well, explaining why handloaders always spend more money than non-handloaders.)

Here's Jerry Knap's story:

When still a young fellow I served a stint as a forest ranger in some of northern Ontario’s best moose country. One fall afternoon I was driving down a logging road in my government pickup when a scarlet-clad hunter jumped out of the bushes and excitedly flailed his arms about.
“Boy, am I glad to see you!” he shouted excitedly. “I just got a great big moose over there!”
“Congratulations,” I answered,” but what’s the problem?”
“The problem is I don’t know what to do,” the hunter stammered. “I’ve shot deer before, but no one told me how big a moose was. Can you come and show me what to do? And maybe take a picture of me with the moose? I’d be glad to pay you.” The man’s hands shook like poplar leaves in an autumn breeze.
“Yeah, I guess I’d better show you what to do,” I replied, shaking my head. “Payment won’t be necessary.”
The first problem was finding the moose. The man couldn’t remember exactly where to look, but eventually found the young bull, not very big as moose go.
The second problem was finding the rifle. While trying to take a picture of his moose, the man had laid his rifle down and couldn’t remember where. I finally found it 30 feet from the moose in a pile of slash. After emptying the magazine, I posed the hunter and his .300 Weatherby with the moose and took a roll of photos with his camera.
Next I dressed the moose, while the hunter marched around saying, “This animal is bigger than a horse.” It turned out he was a farmer from Indiana who’d had a bumper corn crop, so had decided to go moose hunting. He’d heard northern Ontario was full of moose, so drove up.
“How are you going to get this moose home?” I asked.
“Oh, I have a car on a side road up a ways.”
“Once this moose is cut up and wrapped, you’ll be able to get him into your car,” I said.
“Are you kidding?” the farmer said. “I’m taking this moose back whole! I want everybody back home to see him.”
I suggested he rent a U-Haul trailer, and that a few $10 bills would probably get a tractor with a fork lift from a nearby logging camp to load the moose. With that I left to do my job.
Returning a couple hours later, I found the Indiana moose hunter on the logging road with a tractor and a couple of lumberjacks, just finishing a bottle of Old Moose Hunter. The moose was tied to the roof of a big, late-model Buick.
The animal hung over the roof on all sides, and there was no way it would stay on for the ride down the logging road, let alone the trip to Indiana. Even worse, the moose had completely flattened the Buick’s roof.
“Well, that was a stupid fool thing to do,” I said, in slightly more colorful language. “It’ll cost a lot to get that roof fixed.”
“Don’t worry about that, son,” said the farmer. “In Indiana we got lots of Buicks, but we ain’t got no moose!”

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
John;
Top of the morning to you sir and thanks for the chuckle on the start of the last week in June - already!

I believe I can recall Jerome Knapp stories, but don't recall reading that particular one so thanks kindly.

The times were different back then weren't they?

Thanks again and all the best to you and Eileen this summer.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
My wife, after her recent divorce, wanted to keep her sons involved in hunting. As she had, no other vehicle, she took them antelope hunting in her old work car.....a ‘76, Pontiac Bonneville Brougham. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I remember getting strange looks during hunting season on poorly maintained, mountain top roads by hunters in 4x4 trucks while driving them in a 1996 Honda Civic hatchback. I took that car many places it probably shouldn't have been taken, on roads that it shouldn't have been able to traverse...

It carried more than one recently deceased critter in the back of it (deer & turkey from what I remember), but no moose. You had a decent amount of space in the back of that thing once you laid the rear seats down... laugh

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Jon Sundra--would you mind doing a write-up in a separate post here on the 'Fire extolling your favorite 3 to 5 rifle chamberings and give us the "whys and hows" of each? Something interesting and fun to read, like they used to publish in real magazines of the 70s and 80s?

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
DakotaDeer: I'll run the idea past the moderator, as I am not familiar with what's involved in writing article-like posts on this site. Thanks for your interest. JRS

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
That would be of interest to many of us here....

And fun too.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jwall
That would be of interest to many of us here....

And fun too.

Jerry

+1

DF

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
+2

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I was wondering what happened to the Boyd Jon Sundra sporter stock. I used one to build a custom pre-64/Krieger 6.5-284. It turned out well; I really like the stock shape and ergonomics.

Boyd no longer lists that stock. I don't like their current classic stock nearly as much.

DF

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
DF: That’s a real purty gun. But it needs to b a little more shiny grin

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by southtexas
DF: That’s a real purty gun. But it needs to b a little more shiny grin

More sheen than shiny in the flesh. Picture gives it that effect.

It’s the shape that’s so neat. I wish Boyd’s still offered it. Boyd inletting is excellent.

DF

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I designed that stock when I was consulting for them. When they decided they didn't need me anymore, they removed my name and it morphed into a slightly different geometry. Even when it wore my name, it was thicker in the wrist than I specified. JRS

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I designed that stock when I was consulting for them. When they decided they didn't need me anymore, they removed my name and it morphed into a slightly different geometry. Even when it wore my name, it was thicker in the wrist than I specified. JRS

Well, you designed a good one. I did some thinning and shaping on this one until it suited me.

What they now offer is OK, just not the same league as yours. They just thought they didn't need you anymore... wink

DF

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I believe Harvey Donaldson drove a Corvette. RRM

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I didn't know you were a hairdresser... grin

Seriously, I had drove a Miata once, and I have to admit that it really handled well!

John

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Z-71 for me...

DF

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Book arrived today

[Linked Image]

-Fred Bear
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by kandpand
Book arrived today

[Linked Image]

I do like that cover. Makes Jon look like an eccentric, cantankerous ole fart.

But, I'm sure that doesn't fit him in the least... cool

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Got my copy a week ago, finished except for the bear chapter. Read a couple or so chapters each night. It was a good read, and I especially enjoyed the chapters on the old guard of gunwriters! I indeed recommend this book for anyone who likes a) guns, b) hunting, and c) reading!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Got one headed my way.

DF

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Was reading on the beach today. Great writing, great stories. Trying not to read anymore tonight, so I have something to look forward to tomorrow.

Robert E. Howard
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Believe it or not, I know a bunch of Montana hunters who don't know how to quarter a big game animal--or don't want to. Instead they get it into a vehicle somehow, then drive it to a processor ASAP.

Not a Montanan, but certainly in the “ or don’t want to” category. Bad enough field dressing in frostbite weather. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'll have to get a copy.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
"After a while the camaraderie of good people becomes as important as the hunt itself." From the photo caption on page 107. Truer words have not been printed.

Robert E. Howard
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Enjoyed the book very much. Took my time reading it, chapter or two per evening to extend the experience. Will have to look in my reloading room as I believe I have a JRS stock for a LA 700 that needs a home.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

[Linked Image]

Haters gonna hate. I would do it if I could...

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nemotheangler

[Linked Image]

That is a great pic!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I agree and it makes me smile.

I sure don't know but I sorta think JRS was being comical.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just finished reading the book. Great read. I’m not sure I agree with his best rifle musings. I’d loved to have hunted a tenth of the exotic hunts he’s been on.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by nemotheangler

[Linked Image]

Since that car's all wheel drive, why not use it? If I could, I would. Get you home for beer in a helluva hurry, too. laugh

Robert E. Howard
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Would enjoy reading a copy.

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go

Oscar Wilde~~
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by kandpand
Book arrived today

[Linked Image]

I do like that cover. Makes Jon look like an eccentric, cantankerous ole fart.

But, I'm sure that doesn't fit him in the least... cool

DF

I see what you did there - little play on Elmer Keith’s book. Kinda funny. Appreciate original humor as much as I do good writing (whether I agree or not).

Glad to see you around JRS.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Just ordered 2; one for my brother in law. Been reading Mr. Sundra's articles since he started writing, because he used a lot of Ruger No.1s. At SHOT a few years back, I got to meet him. Only because I was close enough to read his name tag! Great short conversation and I managed to talk him into selling me one of his No.1s. It was a custom, one of the 7mm Lazaronis and I can't remember now which one. I do plan to hunt it and shoot somnething with it some day, if I live long enough.

El Numero Uno
a Serious Collector of the Ruger No.1 rifle;
a Modern Classic Sporting Arm
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Jon,

Am well into your book and loving it.

I got to the part when you were at the 1981 NRA Convention in New Orleans and Joyce Hornady's twin engine plane crashed into Lake Ponchartrain.

I was there, too. I remember the announcement over the PA system and the hush that fell on the crowd. It got real quiet as people reacted in disbelief to what had just happened. Mr. Hornady was on approach to Lakefront Airport when his plane hit the water. I remember seeing pictures of boats and the recovery operation on the lake.

I was also there in 1970, remember seeing Elmer at the Ruger booth. Mr. Vogle, Bill Ruger's son-in-law, was there. Elmer wandered in wearing his big hat, was shown the Security Six they had just rolled out. Elmer handled it, aimed it briefly a time or two, gave Mr. Vogel his blessing, told him to "wrap it up". Mr. Vogel was a real gentleman, was very courteous to all of us.

My brother had one of the first .41 Mag Blackhawks, loved that gun. He double charged a Unique load, split the the cylinder. He sent it back to Ruger, stating what had happend, bragging on how strong the gun was, didn't even hurt the top strap. I mentioned it to Mr. Vogel. He remembered, said it was the first time a customer didn't blame Ruger. They rebuilt that gun, no charge. It's the slickest factory Blackhawk I've ever handled. My brother still has it.

I also remember Charley Askins, heading from the Hilton to the French Quarter, alone at night. I thought about telling him I wouldn't do that, but he was already moving out. After reading "Unrepentant Sinner", I don't think he needed my advice. If the locals had accosted him, he'd have had them stacked up, ready for NOPD to haul them off. And don't you know, he WAS packing.... shocked

Wonderful book. Great memories.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 07/19/18.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So glad to come across this thread.

JRS was always one of my favorites when I was madly consuming everything "rifle" I could get my hands on in the 70s.

Jon - any chance you will be at DSC or some such, signing books?

I had the pleasure of watching Jim Carmichel sign a couple of his books for me at DSC and would love to have the chance to buy from across the table, so to speak.

And FWIW, I love the pic of the rifle atop the Lambo!

Tim

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
This is for you, Brad: my current Lambo. I've not shot off the top of this one.

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Z...wOtYDOvxTj5zLLY7BsYv3b6nims=w297-h185-no[/img]

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

[img]http://https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Zqh28KxgD-HP6Fubo10iHCz9aJMkNkcGOFLNUnci2Tm1WECrx1x3E9Z1WH7WpFR0YvjpBptMlHl5fG7ckNbfhBBXDRXNGskH08SPmjWq4hrs11d8IoE0noPyU1yIUsCd7-z0KOSAVHv8bVchIcSrsGWwZCdec7ZefqAl7OgSxaZtEXhcysy8WNCoWXUhADA-_YTYbtKB3A3FTu7D2AMRzMV0uQRKu8WPzIu0yMbUAYjGHv9zpRmUmsNhI9DSIQLNfyfSArHgZDA9tIozClca7M664YQaxdWh2Ho1LGV7e3zl3rkhVNjdVo3NaCxGqb27TaT_xzilQBQqabQ7LpkpAgWaBF26_OgdLorR5JfOa6DfBSzU0Icw4PYxk0CBtO7EgJbnxk3B0GSFwC22CPLr94ZUwvRngpzXNO8y_bPSYHuhrVQa4jBC9HM1NDkQkdbPA7wEvjNRE1tKSGjB1n5GetrOw3FH-t3Dbxww47IyV7r3Ap4BWMBI_V75PplAvEG1benWsS1aeuf6wWglI0-wGE1Tszc_yAQzQAiOIaWWR6ahwS0v_dBatO9Vw_AcARuF87mpsvHCRR21wOtYDOvxTj5zLLY7BsYv3b6nims=w297-h185-no[/img]

I've tried sending a photo but don't know how to do it.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I've tried sending a photo but don't know how to do it.

When I tried to open the first link, it took me to a log on screen for google. I don't have a google account. Not sure if the link is the problem or if google has restricted access.

Try opening the photo on your browser. Then right click with your mouse pointer directly over the image itself (i.e., not in the address bar), select "copy image location" from the drop down menu. Then "paste" that image location into the IMG tags and see if that works. If it doesn't, then the google account is not a good image host for sharing pics. You can either use another image host like imgur or create an Image Gallery in that forum towards the bottom of the 24hourcampfire forums list, then do the same procedure after establishing that gallery.

Tutorial on creating an Image Gallery: New Image Gallery - Simple Instructions for Secure Images

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Who is this 'Brad' that you speak of ?

**** You are ignoring this user***

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Brad I the guy who said the picture of me shooting from atop my Lambo was "pathetic." I guess he lost his sense of humor...assuming he ever had one.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Yep, I think you got it.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brad I the guy who said the picture of me shooting from atop my Lambo was "pathetic." I guess he lost his sense of humor...assuming he ever had one.

Maybe it would have helped if you were in Montana, shooting a Montana. You might have received two thumbs up. smile smile

When its time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to get on Noah's Arc... and brother, it is starting to rain!

The chair is against the wall.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
grin

Welcome to the Fire.

At least you were warned... smile

We're glad to have you here and look forward to your posts.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dwayne,

In 1997 I was one of several writers who put together a book titled THE COMPLETE HUNTERS CATALOG, and among other things we solicited short essays from a few dozen well-known writers. One was a Canadian, the late Jerome Knap, who along with writing quite a bit became a well-known booking agent for hunting and fishing trips.
(I am sure Jon knew Jerry, who I also contacted, asking him to write a short essay on handloading. He did, and it's in the book as well, explaining why handloaders always spend more money than non-handloaders.)

When still a young fellow I served a stint as a forest ranger in some of northern Ontario’s best moose country. One fall afternoon I was driving down a logging road in my government pickup when a scarlet-clad hunter jumped out of the bushes and excitedly flailed his arms about.
“Boy, am I glad to see you!” he shouted excitedly. “I just got a great big moose over there!”
“The problem is I don’t know what to do,” the hunter stammered. “I’ve shot deer before, but no one told me how big a moose was. Can you come and show me what to do? And maybe take a picture of me with the moose? I’d be glad to pay you.” The man’s hands shook like poplar leaves in an autumn breeze.
“Yeah, I guess I’d better show you what to do,” I replied, shaking my head. “Payment won’t be necessary.”
The first problem was finding the moose. The man couldn’t remember exactly where to look, but eventually found the young bull, not very big as moose go.
The second problem was finding the rifle. While trying to take a picture of his moose, the man had laid his rifle down and couldn’t remember where. I finally found it 30 feet from the moose in a pile of slash. After emptying the magazine, I posed the hunter and his .300 Weatherby with the moose and took a roll of photos with his camera.
Next I dressed the moose, while the hunter marched around saying, “This animal is bigger than a horse.” It turned out he was a farmer from Indiana who’d had a bumper corn crop, so had decided to go moose hunting. He’d heard northern Ontario was full of moose, so drove up.
“Once this moose is cut up and wrapped, you’ll be able to get him into your car,” I said.
“Are you kidding?” the farmer said. “I’m taking this moose back whole! I want everybody back home to see him.”
I suggested he rent a U-Haul trailer, and that a few $10 bills would probably get a tractor with a fork lift from a nearby logging camp to load the moose. With that I left to do my job.
Returning a couple hours later, I found the Indiana moose hunter on the logging road with a tractor and a couple of lumberjacks, just finishing a bottle of Old Moose Hunter. The moose was tied to the roof of a big, late-model Buick.
The animal hung over the roof on all sides, and there was no way it would stay on for the ride down the logging road, let alone the trip to Indiana. Even worse, the moose had completely flattened the Buick’s roof.
“Well, that was a stupid fool thing to do,” I said, in slightly more colorful language. “It’ll cost a lot to get that roof fixed.”
“Don’t worry about that, son,” said the farmer. “In Indiana we got lots of Buicks, but we ain’t got no moose!”

Now that's funny! Twice I brought Moose home whole from New England just so the folks back here could get to see what one looks like.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Wow, what a treat to have JRS added to our illustrious list of contributers.

I also am a long time fan. I enjoyed my annual hunt for "The Complete Rifleman". The copies are still stored in a box under the bed with old copies of ST and Rifleshooter. I longed to have my own 24 in barrel chambered in 7mmJRS. But I had hungry kids needing shoes in those days and custom barrels were not on the table. I made up for it a few years later with the purchase of a rifle in a chambering developed by another of my favorite gunwriters. The chamber is in 7mmSTW.

If I remember correctly, JRS once wrote about a hunt to a remote area which once was a part of USSR. While exiting the nation, border guards confiscated his rifle. But the author was amused that the thieves had aquired a rifle chambered for a wildcat for which they had no possible way to gain ammunition. And to top it off, the bolt for the rifle was packed in a different bag which made it home.

That has been one of my favorite gun writer stories. Please correct me if I have attributed it to the wrong auhor.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Just want to thank everyone for the kind words; they're much appreciated.
JRS

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
And a BIG THANK YOU for your years of top quality contributions to our sport.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by EZEARL

I SECOND that emotion.

Please stick around here more often.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by EZEARL

I SECOND that emotion.

Please stick around here more often.

Jerry

I agree but he's probably smarter than that.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Got my copy a few days ago. Really looking forward to it.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
You will enjoy it! My only complaint is,Jon Sundra has a picture of him and a lion he killed with a .284 Winchester,but he does not tell the story of how he killed it. Other than that it's a great read.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Hey, Jon! Let's hear that story.

Robert E. Howard
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bugger
I wish I could have met him and some of the other writers he wrote about. Order is in. Thanks

I shared a camp with him for a few days on Anticosti Island about 2000 and enjoyed his company. Jon is well versed on a number topics not limited to guns and cars but food and wine. Italian Amarone was his favorite at the time.

He also showed me how to get a full size bolt rifle in a shorter travel case by simply taking it out of the stock and voila! You have a break down rifle. If the rifle has good bedding, it returns to zero. I've done it a number of times with success, and caring a shorter case through airports and in cars is a blessing.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had to laugh out loud at this one. I knew Jerome Knap as he booked my first African trip for me. Great guy.

]
Dwayne,

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Thnx Hatari

Great Idea for transporting.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

[Linked Image]

Above image posted for JRS.

Here's a link to the original larger photo (2.0 MB, 3358x2084): https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/gallery/80/full/78189.jpg

--Bob

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I recently came across a older article by JRS in a Sporting Afield USA titled "Are you over scoped?" . The most intelligent and common sense article on rifle scopes that I have ever read. Glad to be a member of the 24 hour campfire; where writers of his caliber are contributors. Thank you sir! I can see where you and Mule Deer would share a common views on a lot of issues! Maybe that is why I enjoy the contributions and insight from both of you fine writers!
CJ

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My wife of 43 years gifted me your book for our anniversary, love that gal. I long ago read "Unrepentant Sinner", so I snuck ahead in your book, as I was eager to see what you said about Charles Askins. An honest assessment in my opinion on your part. I truly believe in this day and age he would be in jail for some of the killing he did. One thing is for sure, successful gun fighters are not bashful about pulling the trigger. I have often wondered if he ever met Frank Hammer.

I believe you may have had some influence on the return of CRF rifle actions, which is mostly what I grew up with here in Alaska. Your articles on DGR's made me yearn for a BRNO action, but I was fortunate to have access to old Mod. 70's and a 03A3 Springfield. A rifle firing the 7mm diameter bullet seemed to be of great interest to you, with good reason. An internet acquaintance of mine is and accomplished long range shooter and his choice for that when hunting is a 7mm Win. Short Mag. firing one of those high BC low drag bullets. Elmer Keith's articles and living in Alaska made me go the other route. So it has always been a 30-06 or .338 Win. for me.

From the picture it appears as though you have done well for your self, good for you. I was also very touched by the wonderful words you have for your wife, my wife is my greatest treasure. It is good to see you take the time to share on this forum, I hope it goes well and some thing tells me it will.

My wife of 43 years and me leave for a week of caribou hunting today. Rain is predicted for five of the days, but we have good gear and can pick blue berries in he rain. If it is to bad I can lay in bed with your book and a good cup of coffee. We are bringing the 36' Toy Hauler instead of the wall tent, the wisdom of old age!

Our rifle of choice for this up coming hunt is a Tika Superlite in 6.5 Creed, I like the darn thing in spite of the lack of walnut and blue steel. It is a definite departure from the type of rifle I prefer, but the good 100 yard groups with the 127 grain Barnes LRX bullets should work well on the caribou, or about any thing else Alaska has.

Best wishes and thanks for a good book and many fine articles.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
My wife of 43 years gifted me your book for our anniversary, love that gal. I long ago read "Unrepentant Sinner", so I snuck ahead in your book, as I was eager to see what you said about Charles Askins. An honest assessment in my opinion on your part. I truly believe in this day and age he would be in jail for some of the killing he did. One thing is for sure, successful gun fighters are not bashful about pulling the trigger. I have often wondered if he ever met Frank Hammer.

There’s a relatively new biography out on Hamer that mentions his doing some “consulting work ” with federal agents in El Paso during the 1930s. Been a few months since I read the book but the part that stuck out was Hamer couldn’t figure out how the feds we’re losing so many officers until he heard they were yelling “hands up” as soon as they encountered smugglers. To teach the error of their ways Hamer supposedly led them to a ambush site on the river where he opened up on a group of smugglers with his Rem model 8 and then yelled “hands up”. So wouldn’t surprise me if they’d met in that time period and that AskIns got some ideas from him

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
hatari,

Jon's experiences when traveling to hunt helped me a lot when I started traveling frequently in the late 1980's. In fact it didn't take long to acquire a take-down case, a lightweight model found at a local store, to use with bolt rifles with the barreled action removed from the stock. Eventually wore it out (probably Ingwe's fault, since he borrowed it for one safari) and now have a heavy-duty molded-plastic case from Browning that's a lot sturdier--and heavier, though it has wheels to make getting around easier.

John also inspired me to pare down my other traveling gear to a minimum, something I've also become obsessive about over the years. When hunting you never know when luggage carts and other handy devices might be absent. Once spent a month in Africa with my take-down case, my daypack (which doubled as a carry-on) and a 12x15x20 inch duffle bag. Of course it's easier to do that in Africa than Alaska, but the same principles help even there.

Jon also inspired me to try 6x scopes, which I found great for general big game hunting--and tougher than most variables.

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Kellywk

To teach the error of their ways Hamer supposedly led them to a ambush site on the river where he opened up on a group of smugglers with his Rem model 8 and then yelled “hands up”. So wouldn’t surprise me if they’d met in that time period and that AskIns got some ideas from him

Do unto others before they do unto you.
Jon also inspired me to try 6x scopes, which I found great for general big game hunting--and tougher than most variables.

Thanks to Jon and John, I have several of these, and find them to be extremely reliable and useful.

Robert E. Howard
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Just want to thank all those who've had good things to say about my book. I am humbled...but then those of you who know me know that I'll get over that in a NY minute! This year I'll again be at SHOT and at the SCI thing, so if our paths cross, don't be shy about saying hello.
JRS

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great reading, thanks for bringing it to our attention JB! Looks like he lived just miles away from where I was raised, and frequented the same gunshop as my dad and I, and didn't know it! Read and enjoyed his columns when I was growing up.

Jeff

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Bought a copy off of Amazon and received it this past Tuesday. Very enjoyable and easy read. One book that I feel should be given to a pre-teen to early teenage male to instill in oneself the desire and fortitude to chase your dream, no matter the naysayers. Jon's graduation from Highschool and College and his path to being a gunwriter is good advice and the taking advantage of opportunities that opened the door for other things.

I appreciate JB in sharing this and the other's that contributed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just finished Sundra's book as well as both volumes of Gungack in recent weeks. Had not occurred to me, until reading Mr Sundra's, that I had lived through a sort of golden age (60's-90's) of gun journalism.
I enjoyed Barsness' and Sundra's peek inside their trade, and have come to give great weight their opinions.
At any rate, quality writing is getting harder to come by, and these 3 books were a clear reminder of what good writing can be.
The current digital world seems to have brought forth a plethora of truly light weight reading, rarely worth the time it takes to read. These books were a great respite, in other words, 100 buck well spent.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

“Thick wrists” are not desirable on gun stocks or....women.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have to add that I admire fellows that were not only smart enough to make a better than average living out their personal passions, but are/were regarded well enough to impact the industry.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Just want to check in to say "Hell, I'm Still Here." Still Field Editor for SCI's SAFARI Magazine; Contributing Editor to RIFLE SHOOTER, and I do gun stuff and the food/wine articles for BALLISTIC Magazine and some other Athlon Publishing mags. Just had a knee replacement done October 13 and almost back to 100 percent. Recently had my silver Huracan (my third Lambo) wrapped in Burnt Orange. The attached pic was taken by a pro for the company that did the wrapping job. I did a piece on the project for the current issue of BALLISTIC. (sorry, but I couldn't figure out how to post a pic. Maybe someone out there could help me).

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Good to hear from you, wondered what you been up too. I need a knee myself. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Just want to check in to say "Hell, I'm Still Here." Still Field Editor for SCI's SAFARI Magazine; Contributing Editor to RIFLE SHOOTER, and I do gun stuff and the food/wine articles for BALLISTIC Magazine and some other Athlon Publishing mags. Just had a knee replacement done October 13 and almost back to 100 percent. Recently had my silver Huracan (my third Lambo) wrapped in Burnt Orange. The attached pic was taken by a pro for the company that did the wrapping job. I did a piece on the project for the current issue of BALLISTIC. (sorry, but I couldn't figure out how to post a pic. Maybe someone out there could help me).

Are you planning to be a regular?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Always good to see you in print and even better here.
Glad you recovered well from knee surgery.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That was one of the first mags I bought off a shelf. I wore mine out and found this one at a Gun Show...
go figure. wink grin I still have it and I have a BDL 8mm RM. wink

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jon,

Good to hear your knee operation went well! Everybody I know who's had one hasn't had any problems--which is encouraging since my right knee (the one that was severely dislocated in 2013) is starting to "crackle" considerably....

Can help you post a photo. The directions Rick posted are OK, but don't make it sound as easy as it really is.Will send you an e-mail....

Best,
John

John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
When I was on the road, I always looked forward to the annuals Jon did (I think it was Rifle Shooter).

Nice to see him posting again.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Good to here from you, Jon. My wife had her knee done almost two years ago, and has been doing very well. PT and regular exercise are key. Looking forward to the Lambo pics. As exciting as rifles to me. Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Robert E. Howard
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

[Linked Image]

Here's a link to the original larger photo (2.0 MB, 3358x2084): https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/gallery/80/full/78189.jpg

--Bob

Orange must be cool.

One thing about Jon, boy's got class...

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
One of my fav stock designs is the Boyd Jon Sundra Classic. I don't see it now listed, glad I got one when the getting was good.

I finished it and sent it for checkering. This is a Pre-64 with Krieger 6.5-284, glassed and free floated.

I like it better than about any classic stock shape I've worked with. Just about perfect, IMO.

DF

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
What trigger is that?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
What trigger is that?

Jewell.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Probably not many Pre-64's with Borden's Bumps...

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jon,

Must say I'm a fan from Downunder and seeing as you shoot off your Lambo you have acquired Legend status! Always looked forward to your articles in Shooting Times!

Keep well!

regards
JohnT

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

[Linked Image]

--Bob

Orange must be cool.

One thing about Jon, boy's got class...

DF

That is a sweet ride!

Robert E. Howard
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Sorry for the disjointed post in which I wanted to let Fire people know that I'm still alive and writing, and then referred to pics of my latest Lambo, but couldn't figure out how to post the pics. Thanks to Dirtfarmer, they're now posted.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Always enjoyed your writing, Jon. Will you put your book on Kindle/Nook/Play, etc.? We're into downsizing and estate planning, can't deal with physical books all that well anymore...

(That's another hint to Mule Deer, too.)

-Chris

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Sorry for the disjointed post in which I wanted to let Fire people know that I'm still alive and writing, and then referred to pics of my latest Lambo, but couldn't figure out how to post the pics. Thanks to Dirtfarmer, they're now posted.

Need pictures of you shooting off the top of the new, orange Lambo.

How else ya gonna break it in... cool

DF

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 52 invisible), 2,593 guests, and 1,116 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,241
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.