Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Every gun/choke/load is its own law and what works for one person may be the worst option when tried in a different combination of the same components. I would try a more open choke as suggested by another. As pellet size and shot charge increases, the less choke one often needs to get a desired result. The same can often be said when using harder shot. #5 shot seems to fall in the grey area between large and small shot and can go either or even both ways.

Another potential issue is the barrel length. 18.5" is cutting it pretty close to where the gases propelling the shot charge can have an effect on patterns. 20"-22" is generally accepted as a minimum length with standard powders and shot charges. Even with the extra length of a turkey tube you may be a bit short for at least that ammunition choice. With the slower burning propellants used in heavy loads this effect is more likely to happen. A box of Hevi-shot Classic Doubles is about the price of an inexpensive choke tube and might produce the desired patterns due to lower velocity and resulting muzzle pressures/gas speeds.

Something else to consider: the closer you bring the bird, the "better" the pattern becomes.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bearcat74
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Originally Posted by JimHnSTL

#5 hevishot probably won't pattern that great because there's not enough pellets to get great patterns.

In HTL loads 6's, 7's, 8's and 9's are where it's at for great patterns and excellent killing power.

#5's carry a lot of energy but of your pattern sucks and you can't get enough pellets on target why shoot them?

I’ve had good luck with pattering 5’s in all my guns. Granted when I shoot heavi shot I am shooting 6s but only because I got a great deal on them years ago. When I shoot lead in the other guns I shoot 5s with great success. I would suspect that the constriction is a tad too much for the 5s to pattern well. When I talked to the people at Indian Creek they asked what size shot I wanted to shoot and I want to say there was .005” difference in the choke for the larger size shot than the smaller shot size that they would recommend.

I've had lead 5's pattern good but never hevishot 5's

A 2oz load of lead 5's has 380 pellets in it while a 2oz load of hevishot 5's has 294 pellets, so it has fewer pellets which is why it's called hevishot. It's hard to get a good pattern with roughly 100 less pellets.

I know hevishot deforms less and holds tighter down range but with 100 fewer pellets that's quite a drop. Lead 6's are 439 and hevi 6's are 382 so the difference isn't that great. Hevi 7's are 508 for a 2oz load which helps them throw big numbers.

Should be about 350 or less #5 lead pellets in 2 oz and 320 pellets in a 2 oz load of Hevi-13 #5 in a 2 oz. load. Approximately 30 pellets difference.

I was using this chart to get my numbers, they could be wrong though: Pellet Count

Never know on the Hevi, the chart I used was different. I do know that lead #5 fall around 170-175 pellets per oz.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by rlp10ml
When I had my 870 I was using both the Hevi Shot #5 and the Winchester Longbeard #5 and was using a TruGlo TG170X Ported Choke Tube which patterned great out to 45 yards or so.. I have since Bought a Beretta and no longer have a use for it. It is an inexpensive experiment if you would like to try it out in your gun........I have it for sale here in the Classifieds for $20.00 shipped.

sending a pm

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Not exactly a swap, more like just getting it to someone who can use it. I have a new in package Roy Rhodes extended, non ported, 12 gauge .650" choke tube for standard Browning Invector, win-choke, Mossberg 500 and 9200, H&R, weatherby and SKB systems (off the packaging). Choke has a knurled end, so no wrench required. Choke is available for the cost of shipping, $7.75, using a small flat rate usps priority box.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
158 members (257 mag, 2UP, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 12 invisible), 1,468 guests, and 829 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,904
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.