Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
slammer Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I am kicking around getting a 20 gauge semi auto for my wife as a home defense gun. Been looking at the Turkish guns being sold by Weatherby, Mossberg and TriStar. Anyways, the shortest barrel any of them come in is 24 inches. I'd like to have a gun with an 18 inch barrel - 20 inches max which means having the barrel cut down. I realize if I have the barrel cut down, it may affect the functioning of the ejecting and loading. Anyone have any experience doing this? None of these guns offer aftermarket barrels, so if I have the barrel cut and it isn't reliable, it won't be a good thing. Before someone suggest a pump action gun, that isn't an option with her. Thanks.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Beretta Viper is an 18.5inch.

Last edited by battue; 06/15/18.

laissez les bons temps rouler
S
slammer Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by battue
Beretta Viper is an 18.5inch.

Too expensive, plus aren't they only in 12 gauge?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Weatherby SA-08 is a gas operated gun and should work fine. They kick less too.
You could have problems with a inertia gun.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
slammer Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I am thinking it would be easier to buy the Mossberg SA-20 Tactical and try to find a youth stock or modify the stock that comes with it.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Get a used 11-87 and chop away
It will run just fine

Last edited by passport; 06/15/18.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Experience of one plus. My agency used to have a bunch of riot guns based on the Remington 11, (basically a browning A-5). I had a smith misread an order to cut an A-5 to 24" and install a Lyman choke. He cut it to give me a 24" overall. Both worked. Any gas operated gun should work cut to 18-20".

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slammer
I realize if I have the barrel cut down, it may affect the functioning of the ejecting and loading. Anyone have any experience doing this?

I have a barrel cut down to 21" for an 1100. It seems to work fine with target loads and buckshot though I haven't run thousands of rounds through it.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I had a 1100 with an 18 1/2” bbl.
it cycled everything I fed it

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
I am kicking around getting a 20 gauge semi auto for my wife as a home defense gun. Been looking at the Turkish guns being sold by Weatherby, Mossberg and TriStar. Anyways, the shortest barrel any of them come in is 24 inches. I'd like to have a gun with an 18 inch barrel - 20 inches max which means having the barrel cut down. I realize if I have the barrel cut down, it may affect the functioning of the ejecting and loading. Anyone have any experience doing this? None of these guns offer aftermarket barrels, so if I have the barrel cut and it isn't reliable, it won't be a good thing. Before someone suggest a pump action gun, that isn't an option with her. Thanks.
Stay away from the Turk stuff.. Go with the 11-87 or 1100 or similar. Cut down barrel will not affect function. Trust me... smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Redneck
Stay away from the Turk stuff.. Go with the 11-87 or 1100 or similar. Cut down barrel will not affect function. Trust me... smile

I agree 100%
I would never stake my wife's life on a Turkish gun......

The lion and tiger might be stronger, but the wolf does not perform in the circus.

NRA Life Member
S
slammer Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
[/quote] Stay away from the Turk stuff.. Go with the 11-87 or 1100 or similar. Cut down barrel will not affect function. Trust me... smile
[/quote]

Hmm that surprises me. The most unreliable semi I ever owned was a 12 gauge 1100. In the past few weeks, I have read 15-20 reviews from actual users of the Turkish guns and all very positive. I am open minded and all ears so would love to hear your experience with them.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Don't be surprised, he is telling you the truth. There is a reason the Turk shotguns are not on the shooting game circuit and the reason is they are not made to last. Now your question would be, just when will they go down. Some do so quickly and some take a little more time. Your bet....

Beretta/Benelli for the win on reliability.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Both of my sons have Weatherbys.
One SA-08 Deluxe and one Element Waterfowler.
Both guns have had over 5000 rounds through them with zero problems. Lots of 1 & 1 1/8 oz target loads shooting sporting clays and plenty of 3" mag waterfowl loads.
I would take ether one of them over any jam o matic Remington 1100 or 11-87 any day. The V3 is a nice gun if you don't mind hot gasses blowing in your face when you shoot it.
Weatherby customer service was excellent the one time we had to call. The only reason we called is because when the SA-08 came new the heavy gas valve was missing from the box when new. They sent one out asap.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I am thinking it would be easier to buy the Mossberg SA-20 Tactical and try to find a youth stock or modify the stock that comes with it.

I read that the Weatherby SA8 buttstock fits on the SA-20. Apparently they are the same buttstock!

The 11-87 20 ga comes with 21" barrel and recoil is very mild. The receiver is slim compared to the SA-20 and SA8, which makes it nicer to carry imo.

My 11-87 is a great shooter and is not a jam o matic as you describe. How often to you clean yours?

Last edited by tarzan; 06/18/18.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
And there is the old 1100 Mantra. How often do you clean it.

Last Beretta I used regularly went 3000 rounds before its first cleaning. In that time it had 2 hiccups. One of which was with the first box. I only cleaned it because I felt guilty. Then ran it up to around 4000 more. Couple hiccups again and they were with light shells. 3000 plus over and over and miss feeds were rare. The 1100 can't hang when it comes to reliability.

The reliability king, just may be the new Winchester SX3 and SX4.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by battue
Don't be surprised, he is telling you the truth. There is a reason the Turk shotguns are not on the shooting game circuit and the reason is they are not made to last. Now your question would be, just when will they go down. Some do so quickly and some take a little more time. Your bet....
That..

Beretta/Benelli for the win on reliability.
Yep, but many 1100s/11-87s run 20-30 years w/o needing much more than a cleaning and a new barrel seal (O-ring)..

Slammer, you most likely got an 1100 that was 'built on Friday'.. laugh laugh Seriously, every manufacturer can/will have a turd leave the bowl at some point. The main thing about the 1100 is that those are 'ammo-specific', while the 11-87 is not.

Turkish guns look nice on the outside, but remove the stock and check the inner parts for quality.. Then you'll see why I say 'stay away'... unless you want to get one for shooting an occasional varmint couple times/year...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
slammer Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I kept my 1110 clean - remember replacing O rings too if I remember right. I traded it and then bought two Beretta 390's and later a Benelli SBE II and never had another malfunction. Years ago, I wouldn't consider a Turkish gun but after reading about the new state of the art plant and how they cleaned up their processes, I started reading a lot of good info from actual users of the new guns. Just wondering if the anti-Turk sentiment here is based on guns made in the past few years or the older ones?

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The most common problem I saw with the 1100 was not keeping the recoil spring tube clean. In some guns that part collected a lot of gunk quickly, something I now believe to be a result of loose tolerances rather than a design flaw. I bought a left handed 1100 for my stepson from a guy who had nothing but problems with it. Replacing the recoil spring and cleaning the tube every 5,000 rounds (a standard procedure with any semi-auto for me) lead to zero problems.

Our first 11-87s were a pain, I had problems with keeping them running for a full 100 bird clay course and if in dusty field conditions when hunting. I learned later that my lubricating arctics and type of lubricant were the leading culprit for these problems. Being these were standard field models likely added to the issue as Remington came out with a non-compensated target model a couple years later which was soon followed by the "re-introduction" of the 1100 for target guns.

I, too, am distrustful of Turkish shotguns at the moment. The semi-autos seem more reliable than the O/Us and SxSs but they are still suspect in my book. As has been mentioned, the internals are not finished as well as with more proven models and many do not seem as "solid" as similar parts on other guns. Beretta and Browning had problems with the 391 and Gold respectively when they tried a lighter material in a couple of their parts and paid the price for it before beefing up the parts. I don't see that happening with the Turkish guns and that causes me to wonder about parts availability and support which is a common failing with low cost imports. Been down that road a couple of times and it gets frustrating when a simple part such as a firing pin has to be machined at relatively considerable cost rather than ordered and sent to one's home.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (06hunter59, 17CalFan, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 51 invisible), 1,919 guests, and 1,013 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,185
Posts18,465,727
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.