Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
I know there are many Jon Sundra fans on the Campfire, who might be interested to know he just published his first book--with a title that's obviously a play on Elmer Keith's autobiography. It was published by Safari Press, and includes a good-sized section of color photos from 50 years ago to the present.

Jon and I have been friends for quite a while, but he's been in the gun-writing business far longer, since he decided that's what he wanted to do in his 20's, while I kind of stumbled into it in my 40's. Subtitled "Fifty Years a Gunwriter," the book takes you from breaking into the business to his hunting trips all over the world.

While the book is all very interestng, among the most fascinating parts to me were his encounters and adventures with other writers of the era. One section contains entire chapters on various gun-writers. The first is Elmer Keith, andits very interesting that Jon and Elmer got along great, despite having very different upbringings, with Elmer growing up in a rural family as a meat-hunter, while Jon's family didn't hunt, and he prefers fine cuisine (which he's very good at cooking) to Elmer's basic subsistence hunting. But they were kindred spirits in other ways.

There are also chapters on Jack O'Connor (who Jon didn't get along with as well as Elmer, but once sent Jon a nice note on his writing, reproduced in the book), Charles Askins, Bob Milek and Bill Jordan, along with personal encounters with various oter writers of a previous era. They're all interesting to those of us who grew up reading gun/hunting magazines in those days.

Then there are the hunting stories. Jon's gone on more than 100 hunts in other countries around the world, including taking all of the African Big Five with, as I recall, single-shot rifles. He's been on so many hunts in the U.S. he can't count 'em, and long been an avid wildcatter--and sports car nut, a combination not unknown in the business. He's the only gun writer I know who drives a Lamborghini....actually, several Lamborghinis.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ought to be worth the read, thanks for the heads up!

D

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Sounds interesting. Thanks for the heads up.

I knew he was into fine sports cars. I liked the Jon Sundra Classic stock that Boyd carried for a time. Boyd later dropped that offering. I really like the shape, built a 6.5-284 Krieger/Pre-64 using that stock. Wish it was still available.

DF

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I got my copy yesterday and have really enjoyed his stories. The chapters on the old time writers was especially interesting. I started reading Sundra back in the 70's when he was with Shooting Times and he's still got it!

Ken

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Always liked Jon's writing. Exchanged a couple e-mails with him, and he was very pleasant and helpful. I'll have to pick up that book.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
IC B2

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Thanks JB. I’ve got to check onit.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Thnx M D

I’ve been a fan of JRS since the 70s EVEN tho he cost me a lot of money. smirk
He’s the reason I have a 6mm Rem, 7 mm RM & 8 mm RM. cool I learned a lot from his writings and experiments.

I was reading JRS and the others you mentioned before I knew who you were. That was only because of the time differential you mentioned
about your beginning later. Actually I had almost dropped all my Mag subscriptions before I ever knew who you were.

Thnx for this heads up. I’ll be looking for my copy ASAP. wink

[Linked Image]

His name doesn't show in the pic but J R S wrote that intro of the Rem Big 8.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 06/14/18.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
There are some writers that disappear and you don't notice it, I noticed Jon wasn't around.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Have it on order,supposed to be here Monday.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wish I could have met him and some of the other writers he wrote about. Order is in. Thanks

Last edited by Bugger; 06/15/18.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jerry,

Well, there's another "time differential" between me and Jon aside from when we started gun writing: He's about a dozen years older than I am. Put that together with him starting to regularly write for gun magazines in his late 20's, and me not starting until around 40, and you get a gap of about 25 years!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Then there are the hunting stories. Jon's gone on more than 100 hunts in other countries around the world, including taking all of the African Big Five with, as I recall, single-shot rifles. He's been on so many hunts in the U.S. he can't count 'em, and long been an avid wildcatter--and sports car nut, a combination not unknown in the business. He's the only gun writer I know who drives a Lamborghini....actually, several Lamborghinis.

I had no idea writing gun articles paid so well!

Politics is War by Other Means
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

I had no idea writing gun articles paid so well!

Jon has other gigs...

DF

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I just ordered a copy. The Safariland write-up mentioned George Nonte, whom I had forgotten.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I'll be ordering one too.

Jon is one of my favorite writers, and most responsible for getting me hooked on 7mm cartridges.

So much so that I even built a really nice custom 700 in his wildcat 7mm JRS. Probably the one rifle I most regret trading away.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Guess I'll be spending a couple more bucks today.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for the lead John,

I've spent more of my limited retirement check now!

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Saw the name bob milek man he was one hell of a gun writer too. Loved his articles on the 243 Winchester.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Didn’t get along with O’Conner......hell, that’s reason enough to buy his book! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by memtb
Didn’t get along with O’Conner......hell, that’s reason enough to buy his book! memtb

JOC was a self-made man and worshipped his creator, or so it seemed to me.

Jon on the other hand was a great writer.

And as for JB, how in the world did you find time to write so much when you started in your 40's.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10ring1, 50 invisible), 2,294 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,550
Posts18,453,577
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.