Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I am hunting in East Texas and need to get some trail cameras, what is the best for the least amount of money? Or the best bang for the buck? wink

Tracy

It is not about what you kill, it is about the hunt....
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have had great luck with the Browning Strike Force. They take great photos and videos with good battery life.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Lots of good cameras out there on the market to choose from. Moultrie, Browning, Stealth, Cuddeback, Bushnell, Primos, wildgame, and the list goes on. I personally have used Moultrie for years with no issues and am currently running the M40-I and I have no complaints. I don't use the video feature much at all but the few times I have it was very good. The day and night pictures are great as well as battery life. I caught them on sale on black Friday for $89.99 and picked up two. Ebay is a great place to find game cameras at good prices. I've seen nothing but positive reviews on the Browning cameras and if I didn't use Moultrie i'd probably give Browning a try.

Life's Tough, God's Good, Pray Hard!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Ancheer

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve had good luck with the browning cameras. Bushnell is hard to beat for the money. Both take good pictures. The cuddiebacks we have are also good but not sure they are worth the extra money.

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Bushnell Trophy cams....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Guybo54
Lots of good cameras out there on the market to choose from. Moultrie, Browning, Stealth, Cuddeback, Bushnell, Primos, wildgame, and the list goes on. I personally have used Moultrie for years with no issues and am currently running the M40-I and I have no complaints. I don't use the video feature much at all but the few times I have it was very good. The day and night pictures are great as well as battery life. I caught them on sale on black Friday for $89.99 and picked up two. Ebay is a great place to find game cameras at good prices. I've seen nothing but positive reviews on the Browning cameras and if I didn't use Moultrie i'd probably give Browning a try.

I just saw the Moultrie M40 for $69.99 at Academy

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I've had pretty good luck with Wildgame cams. They take OK pics. not great. I keep saying I'm going to try the browning but haven't yet. I bought a Primos Truth 2 I believe it's called. Love the pics and easy set up.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had good luck with a couple of Coverts that I have. The battery life on them is outstanding.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by nimrodtracy
Originally Posted by Guybo54

I just saw the Moultrie M40 for $69.99 at Academy

The A30i Moultrie is a decent trail cam( I have 3 ) and appears to be undetectable to what it is photographing. The red flash cameras I own always have the animal looking at the camera
on the 2nd and subsequent photos, if that is important to you. Maybe they make a M40i which would indicate non detectable flash
as well.

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This dude was on my Covert last time I swapped out the cards...........
[Linked Image]

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by centershot
I've had good luck with a couple of Coverts that I have. The battery life on them is outstanding.

That's mostly what I use. The model (extreme black 60) which I've used is now discontinued. I have a dozen. In 5 years, 2 have failed. Given temps below 0 and above 100, rain, wind, and being buried under snow part of the winter, I figure that's actually pretty good. As you say, battery life is excellent. Generally I set them up with a 32G SD card and Lithium batteries. Many have spend a full year unattended and are still taking pictures when I return to them.

I also have 3 Plotwatcher Pro cams. So far no issues. I only started with them 3 summers ago. If I set them up to take pix only in daylight hours, 5 seconds apart, then a 128G SD card and a set of lithium batteries lasts about 3 months. If I use alkaline instead, battery life is 3-4 weeks and a 32G SD card is marginally adequate.

I'm sure cameras will continue to fail, maybe more often, so I'll need to research replacements.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Where in east Texas do you hunt. The lease I have is next to the Indian Reservation. It’s between Livingston and Woodville.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have some buddies that are running Browning at our lease near jasper and they swear by them. I used moultrie, promos, cuddies,wild game,cabelas outfitter(boly). Cabelas are my favorites, moultrie are close second. The 1 promos I has didn't last a year, cuddles are ok-ish but when they do break you can send them in to be fixed or exchanged (not for free, but less than the cost of a new one.)
My next ones will probable be browning

PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I've got a couple of the Brownings and they are very good. Long flash range. Picked up several of the Stealth cams when Simmons had them for $40. Not as good as the Brownings but allows me to cover a lot more spots for way less $$.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by GregW
Bushnell Trophy cams....

Originally Posted by GregW
Bushnell Trophy cams....
have used for several years, no problems

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I used to use the Cuddeback but they have changed them and made them more expensive. We have been slowly switching to Browning as they wear out. We will run 12-15 cameras leading up to the season.

You can find some camera deals on Spreetail

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Browning or Covert.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I like cameras, and I never thought I would say that, but as I get older, they save me some boot leather time. I have had good success with Moultrie, Stealth Cam, and Primos ........................ only one that is a pia, is the Wild game, which was a gift. However they were all bought after season, for 50.00 or under,,,,,, too bad I have to be concerned about theft, but it is a reality

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
YEP - Wildgame is the Tasco of cameras

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I've used Moultrie and Stealthcam. The newer they are the better the battery life. But the picture quality has gone down on the cheaper models.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I hate the pics my Moultrie takes.
Not as clear and crisp as I’d like.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hanco
Where in east Texas do you hunt. The lease I have is next to the Indian Reservation. It’s between Livingston and Woodville.

We are off of 787 & 2518 east of Cleveland Texas

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I have had 4 moultrie 990i. 2 gen 1 2 gen 2. They all have either died on me or work for a little bit then stop taking pictures and kill the battery.

I will not buy another Moultrie camera.

On top of that I had the moultrie spin feeder. It it junk. The motor was such poor quality that the brush holders would flex in different temperatures and never work consistently.

So not only will I not buy their cameras. I wont buy any of their crap.

Right now i'm running 2 Bushnell agressors and 2 Bushnell E3 cameras. They are going strong.

I'm looking at 4 more cameras this year. I love the E3's for their battery life and detection range. Thought about getting some Browning strike forces this year to compare. We'll see.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
We have so many pigs that I got tired of pig pics. I quit putting them out.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I will have to look at the brands, but I think both are the same, Moultrie maybe, both are showing no sd card when you turn them on. One after a year or so and the other after a week. Tried different sd card, same message. Is this a common problem or am I doing something wrong? miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
May have figured out the Sd card problem. Seem when I close the little door, is sometimes pops them loose. I have to close it real gentle. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anyone running a type that you can monitor from 200 miles at home or on iphone? Hate to do it since we hunt within 30 miles of rio gramde and THEY HATE BEING ON CAMERA!

Last edited by muygrande1; 08/15/18.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had pretty good luck with the Bushnell Trophy Cams. One of them has a tooth or claw hole in the front of the case from a damned bear but it still works.
Is anyone using the Spypoint brand cameras?

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by lone wolf
I have had great luck with the Browning Strike Force. They take great photos and videos with good battery life.

this right here.. hands down the best for the money, i run over 10 of them, 18months and 5000+ pictures on a set of lithium batteries, in temps down down to -30

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
tried them all and the brownings have been the best. easy to set up and good pics.

FJB
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Stealth Cams are good for the price!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1minute, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 222Sako, 54 invisible), 2,802 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,710
Posts18,456,877
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.