Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
OP Offline
B
I am looking for a little guidance here. I have a TC Venture 7mm rem mag with a 1 in 10 twist rate 24 inch barrel.

I am looking for bullet and load recommendations for an upcoming elk hunt. I am not looking at dropping anything over 400 yards, more than likely it will be a 200 yard shot with the terrain that I will be hunting.

I am thinking of starting off with a Nosler bullet.

Thank you

HR IC

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Partition or Accubond would be a good choice.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Check the sticky of "Campfire Pet Loads" here in the Big Game Rifles page.
Link here

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hammer bullets

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
B
OP Offline
B
when selecting the grain weight do you take the twist rate into consideration? I read that a 1 in 10 is meant for lighter bullets 115 to 140 grains. My concern is that I am going for an elk and I am not sure 140 grain bullet would have enough knockdown power.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
You can look up the particulars of each bullet you're thinking of using, caliber is .284" of course, length, weight, B.C. and load the info into the Twist Rate calculator on the Berger Bullet web site.

A 1-10 twist will comfortably stabilize a 150 Partition for example.

Bullet length is more important than weight in my experience but the calculator will help you sort that out!

PS, Welcome to the 'fire!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by baker6483
I am looking for a little guidance here. I have a TC Venture 7mm rem mag with a 1 in 10 twist rate 24 inch barrel.

I am looking for bullet and load recommendations for an upcoming elk hunt. I am not looking at dropping anything over 400 yards, more than likely it will be a 200 yard shot with the terrain that I will be hunting.

I am thinking of starting off with a Nosler bullet.

Thank you

Check out SPS. I'd be looking for some 160gr. partitions and RL25 powder...

Just to make it easier on you and take some of the guess work out of it:
160 gr. Nosler partitons $18.95

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
when selecting the grain weight do you take the twist rate into consideration? I read that a 1 in 10 is meant for lighter bullets 115 to 140 grains. My concern is that I am going for an elk and I am not sure 140 grain bullet would have enough knockdown power.

First, a point of grammar.

It's weight, not "grain weight". You don't say "pound weight", it's just weight.

Your 1 in 10 twist will handle any common bullet weight just fine.

If you want to go heavier, Shooter Proshop has the 160gr Partion blems on sale for Father's day. They are a forgiving bullet and a good place for a new reloader to start for elk loads.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 06/17/18.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
B
OP Offline
B
thank you for the help. I have been using the calculator to try and narrow down which bullet or bullets I want to try. I have noticed that with my barrel twist rates bullets in the 140 and 150 are stable but have lower ballistic coefficients. I am not looking at taking an 800 yard shot at an elk but I am trying to take a lot of the guess work out of it. Would a 140 or 150 partition be ok for an elk or is it better to stick with the 160?

I also by luck stumbled on someones recipe for a load that shot berger 160 hunter classic rounds out of my rifle with great success. I just haven't looked in Bergers book to verify its a safe load.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
It's hard to go wrong with a Partition for elk. The Barnes TTSX is another good choice, and there are others.

I have no doubt that your rifle will stabilize a 160 grain bullet. I shoot them in my 7x57, which has a lot less case capacity, and they work fine.

You'll get disagreement on this, and sometimes I get heat for it:

A standard cup and core bullet will open as long as it impacts at at least 2100 FPS. Some cup and cores will open at 1800 FPS. Standard cup and core bullets tend to start to break apart at about 2800 FPS. Anywhere between their minimum opening speed and 2800 FPS, they will produce a practically constant 14 inch wound channel.

Switching to a Partition or a TTSX gets you reliable opening at 1800 FPS, and the bullet will hang together at whatever speed you can push it to. In their operating range, these bullets will produce a practically constant 16 inch wound channel.

As long as the impact speed is in the designed operating window, you'll get essentially the same length wound channel, determined by bullet construction, give or take hitting one of the very large bones.

Additional speed gets you more range, not more killing power.

Most of the guys I know favor heavier bullets, which seem to survive contact with one of the large bones better than a lighter bullet. But my hobby is ballistics and target shooting, and you'll get better advice on that from someone who is a better hunter than I am.

Be not weary in well doing.
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
thank you for the help. I have been using the calculator to try and narrow down which bullet or bullets I want to try. I have noticed that with my barrel twist rates bullets in the 140 and 150 are stable but have lower ballistic coefficients. I am not looking at taking an 800 yard shot at an elk but I am trying to take a lot of the guess work out of it. Would a 140 or 150 partition be ok for an elk or is it better to stick with the 160?

I also by luck stumbled on someones recipe for a load that shot berger 160 hunter classic rounds out of my rifle with great success. I just haven't looked in Bergers book to verify its a safe load.

Anywhere you're going to hunt elk in AZ, or the west, you'll be at an altitude that will stabilize any 160 gr bullet fully out of a 1:10. Nosler has load data listed online. Sure, 140 or 150 gr Partitions will kill elk, but 160's offer a bit more of a good thing if you get a steeply quartering shot. In a 7mm Rem, there's no point in going to a lighter bullet.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
B
OP Offline
B
I am going to try hopefully in the next few weeks are going to be the partition 160 g as it has a lot of good reviews and seems to stabilize in my home altitude and the altitude I will be hunting in. I had hoped to use the Accubonds but they do not stabilize as well as the partitions.

I also am going to try the Berger Classic Hunter 168.

Also, assuming a bullet or load is not accurate (1MOA or better) how do you determine what to change? Meaning if I know the bullet will stabilize in my barrel how would i determine the powder, primer, seating or any other issues that could be contributing to inaccuracy?

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For first timer I wouldn't be screwing around with a Berger bullet. [bleep] will have you pulling your hair out before it's all said and done. Get some partitions or hornady 162. The hornady bullet by far one of the more easier bullets to load for.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by 79S
For first timer I wouldn't be screwing around with a Berger bullet. [bleep] will have you pulling your hair out before it's all said and done. Get some partitions or hornady 162. The hornady bullet by far one of the more easier bullets to load for.

This.

Bergers are not for beginners.

It's much easier to get a traditionally shaped bullet to shoot well then the fancy VLD profiles.

You need to figure out the simple before you try to get too complex.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wouldn't put so much stock in calculations. Calculations are fine as general guidelines, but the proof is in the pudding as they say. You have to shoot to find out and TO KNOW. I'd stick with Partitions and not worry about BCs and all that other jive for hunting purposes. If and when you start playing with 600, 800, and 1000 yard shots at targets, then you might want to think about BCs and stability factors. For general hunting purposes keep it simple.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very good advice given in this thread; as usual.

Denton mentioned the Barnes TTSX. Are they easy for a beginner to load for as well?

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Fellows, the Berger he mentioned is the Classic Hunter which I believe is an easier design to tune in. Am I off base?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

There's no such thing from any practical rifle.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by mathman
Fellows, the Berger he mentioned is the Classic Hunter which I believe is an easier design to tune in. Am I off base?

You are correct that the hybrid or tangent ogive of the Classic Hunters is supposedly easier to tune than the VLD. They are designed for loading to whatever magazine length and picking a powder charge. That said, given the OP's 200 yd shot likelihood, there's no reason to go with Bergers in a 7 Mag. I'd not recommend them to average hunters because average hunters don't generally understand terminal ballistics very well, and Bergers have some limitations in that arena. Partitions and other tough bullets don't. That's why I'd recommend Partitions, purchased cheaply from SPS, to a guy just starting out, taking short shots with a magnum, on big animals.

Last edited by HuntnShoot; 06/18/18.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
baker 6483, have you a shooting range in your vicinity? If so most have a board where people post item's for sale. Might post a looking for reloading mentor posting. The shooting community is very helpful for the most part. Might help streamline the learning process.

I have seen on calguns where groups meet at someones home and do talk reloading and pratice or share methods. Just an idea.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
691 members (11point, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 160user, 117LBS, 12344mag, 76 invisible), 2,673 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,689
Posts18,399,819
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.