Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
All looks good. I like Salmon, Raw, Grevelax, Lox, Squaw Candy, cold smoked and hot smoked. I have come up with some faux squaw candy recipes but would like to hear if any Alaskans are making it with something other than seal oil? I sometimes add Maple syrup, Teriyaki or Bourbon but best not to add too much of anything other than the basics.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
BP-B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
BTW, that big ol piece of king belly on the top was just about the best thing I ever ate.
Like a big stick of smoke flavored butter.

LOL!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan

BTW, that big ol piece of king belly on the top was just about the best thing I ever ate.
Like a big stick of smoke flavored butter.

Smoked bellies are the best! My friends and family might get smoked salmon but they never get the bellies!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
Out of the old Little Chief.

[Linked Image]

Nicely done! No oil running out! No white ooze!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Thanks.
Blind hog. Acorns.
grin

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Shocked
Campfire Ranger
My little chief is so black inside from use ..I don't have to add wood for smoke...it's built in !

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would have to recommend keeping the radio tuned to KICY if you have to be away for a spell during the initial drying. Bears aren’t Christian apparently, and neither are those evil ravens (obviously). I’m pretty sure it wasn’t the single bark of the 250 Savage which kept the ravens at bay. 😎

Spreading the Gospel to Western Alaska and the Russian Far East

http://www.kicy.org/

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

I've heard that a shot raven left in the horse pen woods helps other ravens learn right quick.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Accidents could happen of course - and we’d all hate that, of course- but there was a swell.

There is a fellow who has passed away who seemed to have some firsthand knowledge ......., pestering dogs in the dog lot....extreme cold...,, stress on training Iditarod athletes...... I have no reason to doubt.

Seen entire seals and kings, hung to dry, (in smaller pieces of course), carried away literally overnight. Not a huge fan.

....... even the Russian broadcasting after 11 pm....... smart birds. Very.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Trickster. wink

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by smokepole
So, you cold smokers, what temp. do you keep it under when you're cold smoking salmon?

Temperature?

I've burned down three cold smokers... It's an imprecise science and art...

Live a little! smile

Last edited by las; 06/20/18.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by smokepole
So, you cold smokers, what temp. do you keep it under when you're cold smoking salmon?

Temperature?

I've burned down three cold smokers... It's an imprecise science and art...

Live a little! smile

Uh.... questioning your pyrotechnic skills and your English skills...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
And so you should.

I have no illusions. smile

Well, maybe a few.

Last edited by las; 06/21/18.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When a cold smoker builds up with creosote over time, it's blowtorch looking for a spark.

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a smokehouse burn one time. Classic stack fire it was loud and hot. Burned up about 100 lbs of king strips and for me it was a huge loss. Not the smoker but the fish. I now clean the pipe a couple times a year.

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pak
I had a smokehouse burn one time. Classic stack fire it was loud and hot. Burned up about 100 lbs of king strips and for me it was a huge loss. Not the smoker but the fish. I now clean the pipe a couple times a year.

Cleaning the stack and insides is always a good idea, especially if your smoker was built by an Einstein who put the stack in the middle of the top!!! Never put the stack in the top of the smoker!

It acts like a reflux still and condensation in the stack falls back on your product! YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or you end up with tin foil boats to catch it and that wastes space and gives the opportunity to spill that wonderful essence... the same one Wright's puts in a bottle and sells to the incredibly gullible. YUCK again...

The stack should come out of the back very near the top! A trap with a drain is a very good idea.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stack???

[Linked Image]

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I LOVE THAT STUFF !

When I lived in BC, my landlord had a freezer full of it. Probably 400 lbs or more. Told me to take as much of it as I wanted... SO I did !

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Stack???

[Linked Image]

Different smoker style...

wink

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Well, since I have neither art nor science on my side, and having learned about wooden smokehouses, I built my current one from the hull of a washing machine. Found some racks that fit perfectly inside, drilled some holes fore and aft for rod to hold the racks on several levels. I use aluminum foil between layers to catch drips and not get on lower levels.

It is mounted up on concrete block. I use a charcoal pan with dry alder on top for smoke, access via the concrete block up front.. Plenty of alder locally - be sure to remove the bark - it is bitter! And dry it.

Recent pic- like, minutes ago. That might be willow on top- have to check. It was "salvage" from cleared pathways, IIRC.

That reminds me - I have to walk the used dog again tonight before bed down thru the state park next door.

I too like less salt content, and use a salt/brown surgar sprinkle between layers marinated 24 hours, I taste-test it- and if necessary, rinse before hanging, then racked until a pellicle forms, then smoked for a couple hours for flavor. Then jar-canned in pints or quarts. I like it - YMMV

[Linked Image]

Last edited by las; 06/22/18.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
692 members (257 roberts, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 222ND, 76 invisible), 2,772 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,628
Posts18,398,765
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.