Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
just tried the Dawn, Lemon Shine and hot water on a 5 gallon bucket of 223 range brass shot out of full auto AR-15. Tumbled for 3 hour, primer pocket are not as clean as with stainless steel pins but the outside is nice and clean and brass from full auto get really dirty.

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Or if you're inclined to tumble (I'm not) you can always tumble before decapping? Cleaning primer pockets is also a massive waste of time in my world.

That's what I do, I always tumble my pistol brass first thing. I have had the stainless pins lodge themselves in the old primer too. Doesn't happen real frequently, but you sure know when it does and the decapping pin hits it on the down-stroke.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hanco
It ain’t no big deal to get the brass out of the pins. Only take a couple of minutes.

I use the RCBS rotary tumbler. But use the Lyman pans to separate the brass from the pins. I like loading clean brass. To each his own. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Those pins will clean silver dollars like you wouldn’t believe.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Clean primer pockets are not worth worrying about, a waste of time.

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by gunswizard

I agree

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

I agree

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Like most of us I cleaned my brass with corncob/walnut media for years, when stainless steel pins came along I gave them a try. I was satisfied with the results from both but never liked the job of separating the brass from the media. Walnut or corncob got stuck in the flash hole and the pins would wedge themselves in the primer pocket, both situations called for laborious sorting. Since I was already adding Dawn and Lemi-shine to the pins I thought why not eliminate the pins and see how the brass looks. To my surprise after three hours of tumbling in Dawn, Lemi-shine and hot water the brass came out spotlessly clean. Best part no media in flash holes or pins in primer pockets to mess with, so I no longer use media or pins and have nice clean shiney brass.

I used to tumble brass a lot, but I'd shoot a couple hundred rounds per day and I wanted the brass clean. When steel pins came out I tried that. It worked wonders on my 45-90 BP cases, but I hated those pesky pins. I too, thought they were a pain in the democrat.

I don't polish cases much anymore. My Lyman corn cob polisher is dead (Lyman will not answer any request for warranty) and I hate those pins.

So, if I need to polish cases again, I'll try your method.

One thing though, I spray the outside of my case necks with Hornady one-shot and from the shoulders down I use Imperial case sizing wax (or similar products). -- I do not like Lyman spray lube, because it is way to messy and greasy.

After sizing I use a paper towel to wipe off the lube. The cases stay pretty clean that way. I stopped using the greasy RCBS lube pad many years ago. I think that may have been the cause for the need of cleaning/polishing the cases as much as I had.

I see no personality flaw in wanting ammo, rifle or any other gun equipment clean.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by hanco
Those pins will clean silver dollars like you wouldn’t believe.

Now there's one application that is truly wrong- a sure fire way to lessen the value of a silver dollar to a collector, by a lot.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What’s not to like about clean brass. In this case 45acp. Hasbeen
[Linked Image]

hasbeen

NRA Patron member
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I started out using RCBS lube and then went to spray lube which I felt was kinda pricey, I have been using Imperial Wax for some time now. I apply RCBS to eh inside of the case necks with a Q-tip, when done sizing I wipe the outside of the cases with rubbing alcohol on a microfiber cloth. The lube inside the necks is removed with alcohol on a Q-tip. This combination of lubes works for me, sometimes I lube the inside of the necks with graphite (Motor Mica) I have a Bonanza tool for this. I like the MOtor Mica because it does a good job and requires no clean-up and won't contaminate the powder charge.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Graphite and motor mica are not the same.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
When I do clean brass I no longer use a case vibrator and now use a tumbler. Because I reload, shoot and do a lot of casting I try to keep my lead/dust exposure down as much as reasonable. The case vibrators create a ton of dust! Ever see the dirty water in the tumbler? The Lemi-Shine is just citric acid with floofy smells in it, you can buy bulk citric acid on amazon for less. Additionally, you can use vinegar as well or just use the pins.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I started out using RCBS lube and then went to spray lube which I felt was kinda pricey, I have been using Imperial Wax for some time now. I apply RCBS to eh inside of the case necks with a Q-tip, when done sizing I wipe the outside of the cases with rubbing alcohol on a microfiber cloth. The lube inside the necks is removed with alcohol on a Q-tip. This combination of lubes works for me, sometimes I lube the inside of the necks with graphite (Motor Mica) I have a Bonanza tool for this. I like the MOtor Mica because it does a good job and requires no clean-up and won't contaminate the powder charge.

Over time I have picked up a lot of Carbide expander balls. Redding sells them. They are a little expensive but if you load one caliber a lot it’s worth it. Hasbeen

hasbeen

NRA Patron member
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My favorite case cleaning method for properly dirty brass involves a bucket, 1/4" hardware cloth, and hot water with dish soap and vinegar. The hardware cloth is set up a few inches above the bottom of the bucket. The bucket gets filled about halfway with brass, and the rest of the way with soapy water. Put a top on the bucket, throw it into the pickup bed, and drive to Oshkosh and back. Let the bucket sit for a few hours, then fish out the now clean enough brass. Dispose of the used cleaning media responsibly by pouring it down the nearest woodchuck hole.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I have had some dies in which I installed the Redding carbide expander balls, they're well worth the expense. I have one for my .257 Roberts die on order.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

I agree, but then why do you deprime the brass before tumbling? Seems like an extra step that just results in your pins getting stuck, as you've said.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
The brass dries faster without the primers to trap water in the primer pockets. Sizing also takes a little less effort when you aren't depriming at the same time.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I'll buy the better for drying bit, but less effort when sizing? Really???

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The way I figure, you're going to deprime sometime, either before or after tumbling/cleaning. So while it may not be worth any extra effort to clean pockets by themselves, it don't hurt none if they perchance get cleaned along with the rest of the case. I won't tell if nobody else will.

As far as pins getting stuck in the flash hole or pocket, that's the reason for the OP, skip the pins and just wet tumble with Dawn and Lemi-shine. I candle annealed a batch of brass yesterday evening and even wiping the necks off with a wet cloth after annealing they still have fairly sooty necks. So I figured this was a good time to test the no-pins tumbling. Ran the tumbler for two hours with just detergent and Lemi-shine while I did something useful like watch TV or catch up on all the drama of "As the Fire Burns" up in the top section.

Anyway, the cases came out pretty clean. Not as shiny new looking as they would have with SS pins but a far cry better than the dirty black necks they started with. To my eye they looked about as clean as they would have given the same amount of vibratory cleaning with corn cob or walnut media but without the dust.

I try not to make too many editorial comments any more, but all of this back and forth about "I do this" and "well, I'm better than you because I do THAT!"

Really? It's a hobby, do what pleases you. If it pleases someone to do it one way and not another or to do or not do something at all, why does anybody else care?

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 160user, 53 invisible), 2,326 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,616
Posts18,454,956
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.