Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The problem with the north west is that there are just too many choices! I'm sure I can access fifty, free or nearly free, campsites within four hours of home. I will probably not live long enough to make a dent in the possibilities. In addition, there are all of the places which need to be re-visited. Throw in some long trips and I figure to be pretty busy for the duration. GD

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BluMtn
If you are wanting to travel 6 hrs or less head east past Lewiston and from there you can go to Orofino to Dworshak dam, or travel up to Kooskia turn south onto highway 13 until you get to highway 14 and proceed to Elk City. Or you can leave Lewiston and turn south on 95 and go to Riggins or McCall. There are tons of camping opportunities in the central Idaho area and panhandle that put you in the mountains and can handle big trailers. Short hops outside of Dayton is the Tucannon area and outside of Pomeroy to the south you can access the rest of the blues. From your location there are tons of areas that you can camp at with your trailer. PM me if you want to know more. Just saw your post Wageslave, good job. The Wallowas are awesome and I get there often but camping if you have not made reservations by Jan. you don't get in unless you can find a RV spot in Joseph.

I haven't been to Dworshak in many years. That time my son and I were canoe camping along the shore a few miles from the boat dock. We got visited by the camping cops who said that camping was restricted to established campgrounds...of which there were only 2 at that time. 175 miles of shoreline and Bureau of Rec had closed 174.8 miles of it to camping.
I haven't been back since and don't know what the current situation is.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
As a boy, I fished in the North Fork of the Clearwater for young steelhead. Dworshak dam ended that and I've never been back. Maybe this summer, I'll get a chance to spend a couple days up at Kelly Forks. The young steelhead are a thing of the past but the river is still there. GD

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Dworshak also totally screwed up a major elk migration route.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tri Cities is a good base of operations, the Blue Mountains along the 395 line, even along the interstate, have gobs of potential and a good road network. Northeastern Oregon is pretty much "real" and not a tourist magnet, but the welcome mat is out for the adventurous. Only concern I would have is, there's a lot of up and down, and some highways pose a challenge for trailering.
You're sure to find what you'll like.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by greydog
As a boy, I fished in the North Fork of the Clearwater for young steelhead. Dworshak dam ended that and I've never been back. Maybe this summer, I'll get a chance to spend a couple days up at Kelly Forks. The young steelhead are a thing of the past but the river is still there. GD

Go.
The North Fork and/or Kelly, Cayuse, Ruby, Black Canyon are world class cutthroat on a fly.

Slave

P.S. Rock Chuck, again, there are hundreds of nice campsites on the reservoir and have been for years.

Elk adapt.

That said, I used to go up the lower North Fork with my Grandpa. The dam broke his heart. I've adapted.
In fact, I am going to fish for bass up there Sunday.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wageslave
Originally Posted by greydog

Go.
The North Fork and/or Kelly, Cayuse, Ruby, Black Canyon are world class cutthroat on a fly.

Slave

P.S. Rock Chuck, again, there are hundreds of nice campsites on the reservoir and have been for years.

Elk adapt.

That said, I used to go up the lower North Fork with my Grandpa. The dam broke his heart. I've adapted.
In fact, I am going to fish for bass up there Sunday.

This was only a few years after the dam was completed in '73. They only had the 2 campgrounds at the time. I can't figure out why they prohibited tent camping along the shoreline, miles from anything.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
HWy 204 from Weston to Elgin Oregon might have some places for you.
Only been across it once on a motorcycle, it is thru the Blues and close enough to the Tri-Cities for a day ride.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'd live in Elgin in a heartbeat.

LOL
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
You don't want to live in Elgin, TRUST ME when I say this. There are some nice campsites off of 204 though, check out Jubilee lake off the USFS 64 road

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tcb22
You don't want to live in Elgin, TRUST ME when I say this.

Why not? I had seriously considered it...

LOL
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Hit the Blues before they dry up. We were there this weekend, and the wildflowers were beautiful.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by tcb22
You don't want to live in Elgin, TRUST ME when I say this.

Why not? I had seriously considered it...

It seemed nice years ago, not much work outside logging or the mill I imagine.Healthcare might be a challenge in the area, Pendelton might be the closest hospital.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I'd hit the gorge and/or light up the Gifford Pinchot close to Mt Adams.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Fishook Creek on the St. Joe and drive over to the Little N. Fork of the Clearwater bridge and there's a perfect campsite for your trailer.

There's just so many good places to go within 1/2 day of your location. It's amazing the amount of choices you have in the NW quad of the nation.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The big problem, if you like green, is that huge chunk of desert in eastern WA and OR. It continues across so. Idaho. However, if you like rugged landscape with few trees, that's the place to go. The mountains and rocks can be spectacular, trees or not.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Looks like the campsite we chose for the weekend has no utilities.

We just purchased a 2018 FOREST RIVER VIBE 268RKS.

Do you know what size generator is needed to run this RV's air conditioning, microwave, etc.? would a 3500 Watt generator suffice? 4500?

I tried looking up the info on the Forest River site, but nothing.

You'd think they'd post something like that.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
There should be something in the a/c manual on the minimum generator size. If not, a quick call to the RV dealer should get you the info you need.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It doesn’t take much of a generator to sustain even a 13.5 a/c unit. The issue is the draw at start up. I use dual 2000 watt Honda’s paralleled on mine. For an easy quick weekend away the Tucannon valley has a primitive state campground, several state pull out type campgrounds and the Last Resort campground has full hook ups and are good folks.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I'm in the same boat, or trailer, as it would seem. Looking to get out in the PNW with my two little guys. Will be pulling a trailer.

Thinking some where on Chelan, which I'm sure is booked through mid Sept, or even up to Roosevelt, for some lake side camping. Haven't spent anytime on either lake. Gonna head to the coast soon as well. Loads of options!

Shoot me a PM if you want to try and meet up for a weekend.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
661 members (1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17Fan, 09wingates, 74 invisible), 2,710 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,367
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.