Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Don't do it.

I ran across a picking recipe that called for red wine vinegar. Since I like to try something new I made a batch of pickled eggs and German sausage a couple weeks ago. Today I decided they were probably about ready so I tried some for lunch.......YUCK......
I didn't think it was possible to screw up pickled eggs but boy was I wrong.

You've been warned.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Pickled eggs. There’s something I haven’t had since last century.

Wonder how a good Balsamic would have worked.

Hmmmm.

Maybe if you chopped them up in some sort of salad.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Regular old white vinegar works there FC. Dont be using some sort of fancy extra virgin California Avocado vinegar or something silly like balsamic.

Speaking of screwing up pickled eggs.....I have done that.

If a recipe calls for powdered mustard and you use prepared mustard instead.....at a 1 to 1 ratio?

Well, we ate them....mainly because I am cheap as hell.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have used dill pickle juice and also tried the juice from yellow hot peppers and/or peperoncinos . Added other spice and stuff of course as well as white vinegar.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
That sounds good Calif.Hunter.

I am MAGA.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

"There’s something I haven’t had since last century."........boy you are new around here......there have been some epic threads around here regarding the beloved Pickled Egg over the years. Hell....we even have a Pickled Egg snob or two hanging around..

I'm not sure about Balsamic...at this point I think I'll stick with White or Cider.

BTW........they probably would be good diced up and sprinkled on a salad (that's a good idea) but they're pretty harsh/tart to eat plain.

Last edited by FieldGrade; 06/18/18.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Jim- your -isms make me belly laugh sometimes. Mostly because they’re right on target.

FG- oh I’m sure. This is the Fire, pick a topic and there you go.

CalHunter- I have few jars of these laying around. I’ll going to save the pickling juice and give it a shot.

[Linked Image]

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Regular old white vinegar works there FC. Dont be using some sort of fancy extra virgin California Avocado vinegar or something silly like balsamic

grin

[Linked Image]

"Maybe we're all happy."

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I pickle chick peas in balsamic vinegar but be warned the taste is very intense, not for everyone. And don't even think about anything other than eating the chick peas, the vinegar will instantly gag you. With that said I don't see myself pickling eggs with balsamic vinegar. Red pickled eggs are pickled with beet juice, I remember my grandmother making them I thought they were quite a novelty.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
apple cider vinegar is the only choice

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Calif. Hunter
I have used dill pickle juice and also tried the juice from yellow hot peppers and/or peperoncinos . Added other spice and stuff of course as well as white vinegar.

That's interesting, 'cause we use the "pickling juice" from a jumbo jar of Costco Banana Peppers, as our secret ingredient in our "secret" fish taco sauce !

wink

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by blanket

This.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by blanket

This.

Hey....I know that but what can I say....it sounded good....

I hate wasting food so in a last ditch effort I made deviled eggs out of a few today in hopes of salvaging them but I just ended up wasteing some mayo and seasonings too....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

That's interesting, 'cause we use the "pickling juice" from a jumbo jar of Costco Banana Peppers, as our secret ingredient in our "secret" fish taco sauce !

wink

A few drops of dill pickle juice go in our deviled eggs.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
whats the full recipe and time lengths for pickled eggs? I want to try - I love pickled Quail eggs

J Simoneaud

Supper's ready!! you have 2 choices, Eat or Don't eat.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You will get tons of recipes....I use pickle juice with white vinegar added sometimes, but I like them best with the liquid from hot peppers, pepperoncinis or spicy garden mix pickled vegetables. I make sure I have enough to fill my jar(s). Mix the liquid with whatever spices you like - garlic, onions, fresh or pickled peppers, etc. Cauliflower, celery and carrots work well with the eggs. Make sure your jars are warm or even hot and drop your peeled hard boiled eggs in the jar. Boil the liquid and spices and simmer for a few minutes, then pour it over your eggs and vegetables. Loosely seal the jars, tightening them all the way in a few minutes. As they cool, the jars will seal themselves. Let sit for several days to a week or more. If good glass jars and lids are used as above, you have canned them and they will last a long time unopened.

Some people like them really yellow and you can add tumeric to the liquid when boiling it. It will also flavor the eggs so don't over do it. To make purple eggs, add beet juice from canned beets.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thank you very much,I will give it a shot this weekend

J Simoneaud

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
You will get tons of recipes....I use pickle juice with white vinegar added sometimes, but I like them best with the liquid from hot peppers, pepperoncinis or spicy garden mix pickled vegetables. I make sure I have enough to fill my jar(s). Mix the liquid with whatever spices you like - garlic, onions, fresh or pickled peppers, etc. Cauliflower, celery and carrots work well with the eggs. Make sure your jars are warm or even hot and drop your peeled hard boiled eggs in the jar. Boil the liquid and spices and simmer for a few minutes, then pour it over your eggs and vegetables. Loosely seal the jars, tightening them all the way in a few minutes. As they cool, the jars will seal themselves. Let sit for several days to a week or more. If good glass jars and lids are used as above, you have canned them and they will last a long time unopened.

Some people like them really yellow and you can add tumeric to the liquid when boiling it. It will also flavor the eggs so don't over do it. To make purple eggs, add beet juice from canned beets.

I'm gonna give this a try. I have a couple big pickle jars that I've bought primarily for the juice to marinate pork chops in. They turn out great BTW.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Simoneaud
whats the full recipe and time lengths for pickled eggs? I want to try - I love pickled Quail eggs

I paid an arm and a leg for pickled quail eggs last time I was in SD and visited a big butcher shop. I don't mind the taste but they are mushy and the texture doesn't suit me.

Is this how they all are?

Last edited by Rooster7; 06/21/18.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
down here you can get Quail eggs for 6.99-8.99 a Pint jar. they not mushy here, they are a little firm and very spicy

J Simoneaud

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

589 members (1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 22250rem, 1_deuce, 60 invisible), 2,219 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,285
Posts18,448,691
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.