Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I happen to agree on spray also. May as well make it teriyaki spray.

A shame for the hiker and family and friends.

Who knows if the hiker had earbuds or not.

When you are out and about things can happen. Though I still think generally speaking the drive to the trailheads are still the most dangerous part of the journey.

That said the wife doesn't go unarmed around the place here, well in the yard here its ok, but once she ventures outside the fence its rare to not have something. In our future home, we take the protection off inside the house and thats it. Situational awareness and readiness goes a long way but it won't protect everyone all the time.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495
I happen to agree on spray also. May as well make it teriyaki spray.

A shame for the hiker and family and friends.

Who knows if the hiker had earbuds or not.

When you are out and about things can happen. Though I still think generally speaking the drive to the trailheads are still the most dangerous part of the journey.

That said the wife doesn't go unarmed around the place here, well in the yard here its ok, but once she ventures outside the fence its rare to not have something. In our future home, we take the protection off inside the house and thats it. Situational awareness and readiness goes a long way but it won't protect everyone all the time.

I did not mean to apply in any way that Soltis was wearing ear buds, though it is easy to see how one could infer that from what I wrote. There have been multiple confirmed instances here where the "victims" had them in for their mountain running...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
"A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion." - Proverbs 18:2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Lots of assumptions here.

Give it a day.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As someone who's spent a fair bit of time in that area, whose kids hike in that area and have quite a few friends in that area it's just a damn shame. I don't believe I know either of the victims, but it could just have easily been someone I know or my kids.

I won't speculate as to what happened and as someone who likes to hike in the Chugach solo when ever I can I'm not going to cast aspersions. It's practically the back yard of many of us. Sure some people run and hike in the mountains not aware of their surroundings, but IMHO that's the exception to the rule.

I will say it's long past time bears in the front range of the Chugach and in town are no longer treated as protected species. I don't think we should shoot all bears on sight, but IMHO enough of them need to be regularly shot so that the population at large has a healthy fear and respect of humans.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just heard this this morning,very sad,Mike was a friend of mine.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
So, was the bear protecting an earlier kill when it took the hiker, or "protecting" the killed hiker?

Can't trust reporters anymore to get things accurate....

Get careless - or even not- chit happens fast. Really fast! If you haven't been there, don't knock it. .....

In my own case, it was carelessness (and stupidity as well).

She looked a whole lot better at 100 yards going away, than 10 coming in.... Closest passage 9 feet. I've always been shot with luck...

Damn, she was beautiful! (I have the mental image....) Nice lady!

But I think I'll pass next time!

[Linked Image]

Last edited by las; 06/20/18.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sidepass
Play stupid games win stupid prizes. We enter their world we should be prepared to pay. Goverment should not be there to protect us from our own ignorance.

What a stupid comment to make. I doubt you know jack all about what the situation was and yet you call the man ignorant from the sanitized comfort of Northern California. GFY. I hike by myself all the time in bear country, you calling me stupid too?

Eat moose, burn spruce
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Las, that was a crazy situation you found yourself in with that Sow and cubs. Cubs can sure create a bad situation with their curiosity at times. It’s unbelievable how fast a bear can go from lumbering along, to a full charge and cover ground in seconds.

Does anyone really know if bear spray works? So many stats say, yes, it’s a great deterrent; where other reports say it’s not. Just curious. Since you all live amongst the big bears. What’s real and what’s BS? 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
LOL. Keyboards.

I didn't mean to infer that you inferred... it was an open statement.

You could likely run your whole life down here, with ear buds in and never have any serious issues, assuming you were not on a roadway. Last I checked about the worst were cattle and maybe the whitetails in the rut. The does around the house pretty well let us slide during fawning season.

What I can't believe down here is the runners/walkers on the STREETs( define that as anything from public, to city street to highway or other roads) with earbuds. I dunno, but I want to HEAR whats going on. Maybe a partial result of being at to many wrecks as first responders, not to mention fires and seeing additional disasters happen. Much less if your not hearing due to plugs.

One would think where there are things bigger than a rutty buck or a nappy coyote around one would pay attention. Can listen to music later at home with a scotch in hand etc... At least thats Carolyns view along with mine. Plus, if you are lucky enough to be in nature, why not enjoy it? If not you could run on the high school track( which might not even be safe in AK, I put in a cautious LOL here) instead of out on trails and such.

Since I"m on my soapbox, and y'all graciously allow me to keep rambling so far and we are still illegal aliens at this time, I saw part of some show about nature attacks where this idiot gets attacked by a grizz in the lower 48... sprays her, she tears him a new one even though... and then leaves... he gets up to walk away and goes some distance, I'm thinking it was 500 or more yards the guy thought, says all of a sudden here she comes again... and I couldn't get to my pistol. WTF. I mean WTF. You had a pistol and used spray first? And then AFTER being attacked and attempting to walk out you didn't have your handgun in your..... HAND? WTF she should have taken your dumb ass out of the gene pool for the betterment of us all.

Ok, nuff said.

Well, I'll comment on 458 Lott... we walk alone at times too.. but never un prepared, and even in others company any time you take a breath its a gamble. Step out the door, more so. Not that it bothers us for we will be prepared as we can, but as we know in nature, there are winners and loosers. Nothing is guaranteed.
Though I still laugh at those afraid to fly... for the drive to the airport still is the most dangerous part of your flight generally speaking.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
And I don't recall if I've said it, condolences to family and friends. Chit happens for sure. You can be as prepared as you can be and still loose.

Won't keep us from the bush alone or in company. Well worth the risks IMHO

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
sad deal, my thought is he was so used to this area and felt safe and I can understand walking,running or whatever with no reason to carry gun or spray and then this happen`s.i walk a lot in the country ,hike in the woods all my life and lately there is plenty bear sign too I still don`t carry spray or a gun either.the last bear in yard 5 days ago was a huge female black bear with a big year and half old cub, 60 feet from me,i had no gun or spray, I yelled at them to get the f--k out of here ! and yes black bears with cubs are nothing to mess with either . I can feel for the family wish them the best so let`s all take time and pray for this family and just think of his little unborn baby on the way, I believe I read about too. god bless the future for this family.Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
2 young garbage Br Bear were killed a block away Monday night around 11 PM, they had been 20 ft from my house last week, went for a walk at 530 AM this morning left the Ear Buds at home and brought the Glock.

Went up to the Russian river falls yesterday I was more scared of the Pit Bulls on the trail than the bear.

Eagle River is a Br Bear corridor they use the river trails to move in and out of the State Park, see little hunting pressure and can be problem bears.

My condolences for Mike and his family.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Las, that was a crazy situation you found yourself in with that Sow and cubs. Cubs can sure create a bad situation with their curiosity at times. It’s unbelievable how fast a bear can go from lumbering along, to a full charge and cover ground in seconds.

Does anyone really know if bear spray works? So many stats say, yes, it’s a great deterrent; where other reports say it’s not. Just curious. Since you all live amongst the big bears. What’s real and what’s BS? 😎
I watched an episode of "I WAS PREY" the other night and it had a story of a fellow (Todd Orr I believe) I Montana who was a seasoned outdoorsman and was out scouting for elk. He was attacked by a grizzly sow with cubs. He managed to get off a shot of bear spray as she was just about to hit him and she went right through the cloud of spray unfazed, at least long enough to do some damage. It did eventually have an affect on her but not enough to deter her from attacking a second time. He was a pretty tough guy, after being attacked twice he managed to walk out on his own, 3 miles to his truck, took some pics of the damage then drove himself to the hospital. He also had a 10mm handgun but wasn't able to use it prior to her attacking him.

So with that said, I won't carry pepper spray and always have a pistol on me when I'm out and about in the wilds of Alaska.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Sometimes spray works, sometimes it doesn't. My issues with spray are there's no way to know if you have a bear that won't be affected by it until it's too late, and the wind can cause the spray to incapacitate you. Gun's are also on guarantee, but used properly they can be more effective.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Pittu
Play stupid games win stupid prizes. We enter their world we should be prepared to pay. Goverment should not be there to protect us from our own ignorance.

What a stupid comment to make. I doubt you know jack all about what the situation was and yet you call the man ignorant from the sanitized comfort of Northern California. GFY. I hike by myself all the time in bear country, you calling me stupid too?

I refrained yesterday, but must must heartily agree with Pittu - what an ignorant comment, and I’ll leave it at that.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by Pittu

I refrained yesterday, but must must heartily agree with Pittu - what an ignorant comment, and I’ll leave it at that.

+2

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P

what a terrible thing to post in a tuff time for this family,its no wonder most of us want the wall to go on the east side of California and Mexica can have that Liberal loser state back . have you ever been outdoors besides a zoo or do you want to just be a troll with negative comments ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
+3 Pittu.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr

I watched an episode of "I WAS PREY" the other night and it had a story of a fellow (Todd Orr I believe) I Montana who was a seasoned outdoorsman and was out scouting for elk. He was attacked by a grizzly sow with cubs. He managed to get off a shot of bear spray as she was just about to hit him and she went right through the cloud of spray unfazed, at least long enough to do some damage. It did eventually have an affect on her but not enough to deter her from attacking a second time. He was a pretty tough guy, after being attacked twice he managed to walk out on his own, 3 miles to his truck, took some pics of the damage then drove himself to the hospital. He also had a 10mm handgun but wasn't able to use it prior to her attacking him.

So with that said, I won't carry pepper spray and always have a pistol on me when I'm out and about in the wilds of Alaska.

You and I saw the same show... my point was if he didn't have the gun out the first time, WTF was he doing with it not in his hand after he had walked hundreds of yards or a half mile or some such after she had left. THE FIRST thing I"d have gotten out if I"d had it buried in the first place(not) was the gun. Geez.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
739 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 21, 75 invisible), 2,693 guests, and 1,370 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,624
Posts18,398,651
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.