24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think the 2nd time the sow attacked him he did reach for the handgun but it wasn't there and he saw it laying on the ground out of reach. He eventually was able to get it after she left after the second attack, which was too late. I can't believe he stopped and took pictures of himself and sent them off to his friends before he got in the truck to go to the hospital. They said afterwards he had 3 more bear encounters but nothing became of them.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

BP-B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by sidepass
I would never carry it, everyones not comfortable with firearms. So be it. Opinions are like azzholes ,we all have one.

You should probably stay safely at home.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Horrible for his family and friends! Thoughts and prayers for their comfort!

I have been in dangerous areas before from both man and beast alike. I try and prepare for the unknown by staying aware of surroundings, having an adequate firearm within easy access, among other things. This does not GUARANTEE your survival, but it sure does help the odds...hopefully enough to save your skin!

A lion does not concern himself with the opinions of the sheep.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by las
So, was the bear protecting an earlier kill when it took the hiker, or "protecting" the killed hiker?

Can't trust reporters anymore to get things accurate....

Get careless - or even not- chit happens fast. Really fast! If you haven't been there, don't knock it. .....

In my own case, it was carelessness (and stupidity as well).

She looked a whole lot better at 100 yards going away, than 10 coming in.... Closest passage 9 feet. I've always been shot with luck...

Damn, she was beautiful! (I have the mental image....) Nice lady!

But I think I'll pass next time!

[Linked Image]

Nice lady. That she is.

Mine was as well...

Must have been 2010, west of Talkeetna. We were three in camp - hunting black bear.

Sow and her cups walked right into camp. Our wind in their faces. I had turned towards my tent and was closed to them - about 30 feet, when her and I realized what was happening. A yell and chambering a cartridge into my .45-70 Marlin was met by her turning away 90 degrees and hightailing it. She stopped at about 40 yards when she realized, that her damned cubs were still curious.

By that time the damn things were no more that 30 feet from me. I remember thinking "Come on, mama, straighten them out."

And that she did. You know that sound they make? Snapping their jaw and letting air out? She did that and the cubs got the message quicklike and the train was on its way outbound. Mightyly relieved I was. She was beautiful.

Turned out well. But could have as easily not have...

Last edited by Ready; 06/30/18.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
I think the 2nd time the sow attacked him he did reach for the handgun but it wasn't there and he saw it laying on the ground out of reach. He eventually was able to get it after she left after the second attack, which was too late. I can't believe he stopped and took pictures of himself and sent them off to his friends before he got in the truck to go to the hospital. They said afterwards he had 3 more bear encounters but nothing became of them.

2nd attack was hundreds of yards away IIRC. Why would the gun have been on the ground? But you never know.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ready we had a somewhat similar incident occur in the Brooks range though with a griz sow and her two cubs. We'd camped in a saddle and were up doing our morning routine when in walks the sow and her two cubs. I watched them mostly from the scope of my 7 mag.

when they moved on through and caught our scent, they hightailed it out of there. Looked beyond my scope to see my pard had been watching them through the lil video camera we took with us. WTF ? says I, why didn't you grab your rifle. He replied, saw you had yours, figured that was enough and we got some cool video.

so thankful that didn't go ugly. I've not had to do it, but pards have, kill a sow and then forced to kill the cubs to save them from a worse fate. Not a fun job.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by rost495
And I don't recall if I've said it, condolences to family and friends. Chit happens for sure. You can be as prepared as you can be and still loose.

Won't keep us from the bush alone or in company. Well worth the risks IMHO

Yep. I almost "loosed" a couple times... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
we had some big bear trouble near Yellowstone park on a elk hunt on a horse and mule hunt ,had this sow grizzly and 2 cubs come out by me, my mule was not happy friend yelled at them at 60 feet away and before I could get my rifle out of the scabbard bears took off and ran the other way that day . my old friend a world war 2 vet said to me that's a good bear, I asked him what if the bear came after us ? two words: > dead bear, I laughed because he met it. also on that hunt game warden check my license and because of all the bear trouble that year up in the mountains he said to me get some bear spray. I ask him does it work? he said this: what ever happens if you shoot a bear make sure you spray the bear so my paper work goes easier please. he then said do you understand? I said yep .my old friend started to laugh and said do you know what he was talkin about ? I said so he doesn`t care how you kill the bear just make sure you spray it before warden gets there ,old friend said that`s the right answer.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
bears going the other way are not big bear trouble. So you had normal bears thankfully.

Damn shame about our stupidity in this country RE the spray and game warden, but nice to give the tip

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Does anyone really know if bear spray works? So many stats say, yes, it’s a great deterrent; where other reports say it’s not. Just curious. Since you all live amongst the big bears. What’s real and what’s BS? 😎

‘Bear country’ in Alaska is huge. So are the variables in conditions. Breeze or wind are a virtual certainty 99% of the time in some parts. Encroaching on a bear from downwind (favorable for lighting said bear up with spray) is very improbable. Even a 25 ACP has better odds of working correctly.

And sometimes they’re just there....

[Linked Image]

They’re primarily olfactorily; we’re primarily visual, not a great overlapping sensory situation.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
The fossilized, right rear metatarsal of a cave bear. Pre bear spray.

[Linked Image]

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
bears going the other way are not big bear trouble. So you had normal bears thankfully.

Damn shame about our stupidity in this country RE the spray and game warden, but nice to give the tip

yes that day was normal bears, enough said.

Last edited by pete53; 07/04/18.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Spray really seals the deal for me on your comments...

I am certainly no bear expert but was “bear spray” a politically correct answer to bear danger when first promoted ? And remains so?

I know when I’m in bear country I’m armed with more than a condiment spray and were I in AK’s brown bear country, especially solo, I probably would carry a short-barreled 12 Ga pump loaded with Brennekes, the weight and inconvenience be damned.

Risk-taking fades as I get older.

Edit to add: so sorry for this man to pass in this way and sincerest condolences for his friends and family.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 07/04/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Old critters had to have been scary!

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr

2nd attack was hundreds of yards away IIRC. Why would the gun have been on the ground? But you never know.

As I recall, he lost the gun on the first attack but didn't realize it. I can see how that would happen after going through something like that. When you see the bear coming again, and reached for the gun, that's when the panic is going to hit. He was a tough dude for sure, to go through all that and still walk back to the truck.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by cwh2
+3 Pittu.

+4 Pittu.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I was up there last week in Eagle River and Palmer and they had still not found that bear. We went down to the Russian River for a little combat fishing and while the bear trails in the ferns are interesting, more dogs were seen than bears.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
102 members (338reddog, 32_20fan, 35, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,396 guests, and 699 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,882
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.