Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Just wondering,

For those of you that have lived in these places for awhile, have you seen any major impacts on the wilderness there over the years in terms of development and human encroachment? Do you think humans will manage to mess these last true wilderness areas as well? Or, do you think it's remote and cold enough to deter major destruction?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A while back there were over 3000 people in the same stretch that now holds about 75. So if anything I think it is more wilderness now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've only had a 20+ year perspective on Alaska.

The only significant development I've seen in Alaska has been in the existing major population centers, and that is barely a percentage of the land mass of Alaska. In a large portion of the state you can wander off and have the same seclusion as 100 or 1000 years ago.

Not saying man can't screw things up on a large scale, but I don't fear for my kids and their kids being able to enjoy the wilds and beauty of Alaska.

I do see the glut of free loaders putting a strain on our economy, but that's for another rant.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

The Sterling Hwy relocate is going to be a major cluster and impact.

DOT planning to put it right by Juneau falls.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender

NIMBY!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by FishinHank
A while back there were over 3000 people in the same stretch that now holds about 75. So if anything I think it is more wilderness now.

What do you attribute that to?

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
He's likely referring to a loss of whaling stations and fishing. Southeast was a busier place 100 years ago in many respects. These days you'd hardly know people were here in large numbers minus some old cannery pilings here and there. The rain forest just eats up signs of man. Look at a pic of Killisnoo from 100 years ago versus one now and you'll see what I mean.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

NIMBY!

For sure, smile but that's only part of it.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We are being overrun by liberals but hopefully the skeeters and [bleep] weather will run them off. lol

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Why not invite a bunch of them bear hunting and make sure you wear your fastest sneakers?

Last edited by EZEARL; 06/21/18.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pabucktail
He's likely referring to a loss of whaling stations and fishing. Southeast was a busier place 100 years ago in many respects. These days you'd hardly know people were here in large numbers minus some old cannery pilings here and there. The rain forest just eats up signs of man. Look at a pic of Killisnoo from 100 years ago versus one now and you'll see what I mean.

There are lots of abandoned mining, fishing, fish processing, logging, and more sites all over AK.

Some of the cooler ones i have been to are Port Hobron, Lynx Creek, Pigot Bay, and there are a huge bunch more. This place was settled by a bunch of really tough SOBs!!!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Forgot AK's first oilfield at Katalla on the northern Gulf of AK. Would like to go back and spend some time looking around there.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

The Sterling Hwy relocate is going to be a major cluster and impact safety improvement for pedestrians as well as vehicle traffic.

...And it's about GD time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Forgot AK's first oilfield at Katalla on the northern Gulf of AK. Would like to go back and spend some time looking around there.

That would be a cool sight to explore. Given how remote it is, likely mostly untouched.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

That would be a cool sight to explore. Given how remote it is, likely mostly untouched.

Lots of wire-wrapped wood casing/pipe still lying around... saw no buildings standing, but it is right on the water.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by cwh2

The Sterling Hwy relocate is going to be a major cluster and impact safety improvement for pedestrians as well as vehicle traffic.

...And it's about GD time.

Agreed, Chris. I certainly do not have an issue with improved roads and better safety. That's the #1 crash area in the winter down here.

And, it IS about time - been nearly 40 years of talk. It's just the route I don't like. They are all expensive (~$300 million), but the Juneau Falls route is by far the most invasive.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pabucktail

Yep. Lots of old junk around in the woods everywhere. We have some of that old wire wrapped wooden pipe laying around, I will see if I can get a picture of it tomorrow. I have found old dams build out of boards and logs in the middle of nowhere. People were a lot craftier and tougher back in the day.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
around population centers as noted, more buildings going up even in the outlying areas. hasn't seemed to effect moose populations very much still see them and even right in downtown area.

but as Paul noted, lots of wide open spaces here, it's hard to envision it becoming crowded outside of pop centers.

spose it could happen but I'll be dead and gone before it does, that's worth something.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

Lots of wire-wrapped wood casing/pipe still lying around... saw no buildings standing, but it is right on the water.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by EZEARL
Why not invite a bunch of them bear hunting and make sure you wear your fastest sneakers?

Here`s a better thought for Liberals take them snipe hunting with bags only by the river in a well known brown bear fishing area when salmon are running !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

102 members (35, 44mc, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, Ashworth, 10 invisible), 1,270 guests, and 844 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,262
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.