Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Just wondering,

For those of you that have lived in these places for awhile, have you seen any major impacts on the wilderness there over the years in terms of development and human encroachment? Do you think humans will manage to mess these last true wilderness areas as well? Or, do you think it's remote and cold enough to deter major destruction?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
A while back there were over 3000 people in the same stretch that now holds about 75. So if anything I think it is more wilderness now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've only had a 20+ year perspective on Alaska.

The only significant development I've seen in Alaska has been in the existing major population centers, and that is barely a percentage of the land mass of Alaska. In a large portion of the state you can wander off and have the same seclusion as 100 or 1000 years ago.

Not saying man can't screw things up on a large scale, but I don't fear for my kids and their kids being able to enjoy the wilds and beauty of Alaska.

I do see the glut of free loaders putting a strain on our economy, but that's for another rant.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

The Sterling Hwy relocate is going to be a major cluster and impact.

DOT planning to put it right by Juneau falls.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender

NIMBY!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by FishinHank
A while back there were over 3000 people in the same stretch that now holds about 75. So if anything I think it is more wilderness now.

What do you attribute that to?

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
He's likely referring to a loss of whaling stations and fishing. Southeast was a busier place 100 years ago in many respects. These days you'd hardly know people were here in large numbers minus some old cannery pilings here and there. The rain forest just eats up signs of man. Look at a pic of Killisnoo from 100 years ago versus one now and you'll see what I mean.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

NIMBY!

For sure, smile but that's only part of it.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We are being overrun by liberals but hopefully the skeeters and [bleep] weather will run them off. lol

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Why not invite a bunch of them bear hunting and make sure you wear your fastest sneakers?

Last edited by EZEARL; 06/21/18.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pabucktail
He's likely referring to a loss of whaling stations and fishing. Southeast was a busier place 100 years ago in many respects. These days you'd hardly know people were here in large numbers minus some old cannery pilings here and there. The rain forest just eats up signs of man. Look at a pic of Killisnoo from 100 years ago versus one now and you'll see what I mean.

There are lots of abandoned mining, fishing, fish processing, logging, and more sites all over AK.

Some of the cooler ones i have been to are Port Hobron, Lynx Creek, Pigot Bay, and there are a huge bunch more. This place was settled by a bunch of really tough SOBs!!!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Forgot AK's first oilfield at Katalla on the northern Gulf of AK. Would like to go back and spend some time looking around there.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

The Sterling Hwy relocate is going to be a major cluster and impact safety improvement for pedestrians as well as vehicle traffic.

...And it's about GD time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Forgot AK's first oilfield at Katalla on the northern Gulf of AK. Would like to go back and spend some time looking around there.

That would be a cool sight to explore. Given how remote it is, likely mostly untouched.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

That would be a cool sight to explore. Given how remote it is, likely mostly untouched.

Lots of wire-wrapped wood casing/pipe still lying around... saw no buildings standing, but it is right on the water.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by cwh2

The Sterling Hwy relocate is going to be a major cluster and impact safety improvement for pedestrians as well as vehicle traffic.

...And it's about GD time.

Agreed, Chris. I certainly do not have an issue with improved roads and better safety. That's the #1 crash area in the winter down here.

And, it IS about time - been nearly 40 years of talk. It's just the route I don't like. They are all expensive (~$300 million), but the Juneau Falls route is by far the most invasive.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pabucktail

Yep. Lots of old junk around in the woods everywhere. We have some of that old wire wrapped wooden pipe laying around, I will see if I can get a picture of it tomorrow. I have found old dams build out of boards and logs in the middle of nowhere. People were a lot craftier and tougher back in the day.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
around population centers as noted, more buildings going up even in the outlying areas. hasn't seemed to effect moose populations very much still see them and even right in downtown area.

but as Paul noted, lots of wide open spaces here, it's hard to envision it becoming crowded outside of pop centers.

spose it could happen but I'll be dead and gone before it does, that's worth something.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker

Lots of wire-wrapped wood casing/pipe still lying around... saw no buildings standing, but it is right on the water.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by EZEARL
Why not invite a bunch of them bear hunting and make sure you wear your fastest sneakers?

Here`s a better thought for Liberals take them snipe hunting with bags only by the river in a well known brown bear fishing area when salmon are running !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Alaska's population like the US and the world, has trebled in my lifetime. Of course
this will have some impact on wilderness but it's not just people numbers that impact
wilderness as mush as the advancement in ORVs, boats and aircraft.

I'm not as disturbed by numbers of people as I am by the lack of respect for the
wildlife and Mother Nature in general.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just got back from driving the Denali Highway this weekend, it's been ~15 years since the last time we drove it. Observations

Still 135 miles of gravel road
No cell service the entire length (nice to know there are spots you can still get away from it all)
You can drive for an hour and see a handful of vehicles, and note this is the peak of tourist season though not hunting season.
Nice to have a place where you can pull off the side of the road and just set up camp, wherever you want along the road.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I can't imagine driving to Denali National Park from Anchorage before the Parks highway was opened!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Paul-
Did you see a string of horse trailers?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As a matter of fact I did, they were parked on the S side of the road, but my mind is sufficiently jumbled after all that gravel road to recall it what mile marker. I want to say somewhere about midway across wink First I saw the horse [bleep] in the middle of the road and mentioned to the boy it was odd to see horse crap up here. Then we spied the horse trailers.

The boy and I need Uncle Art to give us a tutorial on how to catch fish with fly rods as the fishing was great, but we got skunked on catching.

The surprising thing is we didn't see a single big game animal or predator. Quit a few snowshoe hares.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Funny thing... I bet I could take you to each of those photos sites blind-folded.

Grayling fishing should have been dynamite at about every creek and lake. The first photo is good spot to dredge a bigger minnow pattern for lake trout. I have actually caught many there and I believe Riley caught his first just about exactly there.

Good to hear the hares are back! We did not see any on the Richardson a couple weeks ago.

Musta been a big cartridge in that revolver! Spun his hat around and left him so goofy he never could get it straight again!

wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There was a guy that was slaying them on the creek that feeds into Tangle lake, but everyone else was getting skunked. John did say he wants to get better at flyfishing so if you have some time to learn a youngun it would be appreciated.

One of the hares almost committed suicide crossing in front of us.

He was goofy before firing a shot wink

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
As a matter of fact I did, they were parked on the S side of the road, but my mind is sufficiently jumbled after all that gravel road to recall it what mile marker. I want to say somewhere about midway across wink First I saw the horse [bleep] in the middle of the road and mentioned to the boy it was odd to see horse crap up here. Then we spied the horse trailers.

The boy and I need Uncle Art to give us a tutorial on how to catch fish with fly rods as the fishing was great, but we got skunked on catching.

The surprising thing is we didn't see a single big game animal or predator. Quit a few snowshoe hares.

Coulda stopped and asked my wife and the crew she was riding with for a cup of coffee!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L

That was a done deal before they put it out for "public input". Wife and I knew it then.

Last edited by las; 06/26/18.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Packed on my first goat hunt on the south end of the Ragged Mountains at Katalla. Beautiful country from tidewater to alpine....

Eat moose, burn spruce
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Yukons population has been stuck at 30k or just over for decades now, depending on how many mines are in operation at the time the census is taken. I read the other day that AK is now about 1 person per sq mile so it has grown a lot in recent years. More ppl is always bad imo.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by yukon254
Yukons population has been stuck at 30k or just over for decades now, depending on how many mines are in operation at the time the census is taken. I read the other day that AK is now about 1 person per sq mile so it has grown a lot in recent years. More ppl is always bad imo.

This is why I visit THE Yukon frequently!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've found our neighbors in the Yukon and NWT to be wonderful people.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by VernAK
Originally Posted by yukon254

This is why I visit THE Yukon frequently!

Do they still have fishing license fee reciprocity?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes!.......$15 CAN....annual license.

Seems like a steal but far more Yukoners utilize reciprocity to fish Haines
for salmon and halibut.

Not sure what we'd have to do to hunt their Woods Bison.....maybe a guide is required.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yes!.......$15 CAN....annual license.

Seems like a steal but far more Yukoners utilize reciprocity to fish Haines
for salmon and halibut.

Not sure what we'd have to do to hunt their Woods Bison.....maybe a guide is required.

Time for a Ted talk...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Friends have seen some Woods Bison in same altitudes as Dall's Sheep.
How'd ya like to pack one of those off the mountain?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Made the mistake of shooting a bull moose in the same sort of situation ONCE... only a bit dumber than a bison... and about 5 miles...

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Friends have seen some Woods Bison in same altitudes as Dall's Sheep.
How'd ya like to pack one of those off the mountain?

Vern, yes a guide is required for non residents to hunt wood bison. I think only one or two outfitters have them in their area. Tim Mervyn is one. Yes they do like it up high! I've killed 4 now, and all of them have been taken up high. Next time you're down ask Al for a steak, I keep him supplied!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

704 members (160user, 117LBS, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 71 invisible), 2,856 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,163
Posts18,465,177
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.