Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by szihn
Got um all.
Elk, deer and antelope.

I am smiling.

👍 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
BP-B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Didn’t put in this year, but I will be buying preference points. Might start trying to stockpile for a couple different states if my wife will let me spend the money!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Why can't WYOF&G make all the unit numbers the same across all species? mad

Wyoming almost seems like they go out of their way to make things confusing.

They really do set hunters up to inadvertently do something wrong.

It doesn't just stop with the different boundaries and unit numbers for different species.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Congrats to all who drew, notta here...

Buddy and I each bought a pref point and applied for a party antelope permit with no sucess. Same unit had 100% success with 1/2 point last year, I guess never can tell. Looking for a plan B, leftover cow elk hunt if we can find something or maybe NE deer.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by T_Inman

It doesn't just stop with the different boundaries and unit numbers for different species.

There are some big general areas for elk that cover several deer areas, and some areas where no antelope tags ,so you could never really get the zones to line up. I guess I am hunting the general areas this year like the common folk................. frown

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
MuskegMan, I live in Riverton and have not ever hunted 67, but I and my wife will be hunting 74 just to the East of 67. Been a very wet year so the quality of the animals should be very good. If you drew a type 1 be patient and you should be able to find a really nice buck if that is important to you. Good luck!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wyoming260

There are some big general areas for elk that cover several deer areas, and some areas where no antelope tags ,so you could never really get the zones to line up. I guess I am hunting the general areas this year like the common folk................. frown

There are some big elk units no doubt....but up near Jackson they're pretty small units, generally. Some units immediately adjacent to each other such as those near Bondurant will have season dates of Sep 26-Oct 31 (any elk), Sep 26-Oct 31 (any elk minus spike) and Oct 15-Oct 31 (bull only). Other nearby units have even different season dates. Then there's the antlered only from this day to this day, then antlerless from that day to that day, then back to any elk for these dates, which can all be different between the units. It's the same herd of elk that gets chased all over the Hoback area between these units...so why have the different season dates ? Is it just so game wardens can be at several different "opening days" in a season? Why the various sex/age restrictions?

Then there's the watershed divides that Wyoming likes to use as boundaries so damn much...Which can be really difficult to determine with twisting and meandering drainages all over the place. Several states use watershed divides, especially in wilderness areas but Wyoming seems to really like them. Then there's the creeks used as boundaries, which generally are OK but at some point at the headwaters the creek bed ceases to exist. You may come to a spring at the headwaters several hundred yards from the ridgeline (or the creek may just peter out), but uphill from that there's no established creek bed so there's a lot of subjectivity of the unit boundaries at the heads of those basins when creeks or rivers are used as unit boundaries. It's almost like they made a deal with OnXmaps to make their products about the only way to reliable know when you're legal up in the high country.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My son and I drew antelope doe/fawn tags for 83-7. First Wyoming hunt for either of us, will be taking his 7 year old daughter, my grand daughter, along.

Any advice for that unit? Season runs August 15 through November 15.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by nimrod1949
Who else got lucky?

I’m going to get to hunt antelope with my dad this year!

Hunting with family and good friends is one of life's great pleasures. I don't care what the game is - birds, varmints or small or large edibles.

We got lucky this year. Daughter #1 got a Colorado deer tag and everyone in my family group of four got cow tags for Snake River Ranch, a RFW (Ranching For Wildlife) ranch that has been very productive for us in the past.

We also got lucky in the Wyoming draw. We'll be renting a good portion of the Covered Wagon Inn in Lusk for a weekend. Same family group but with wives and kids/grandkids, plus my hunting buddy for the last 20 years and his family. Ten people (plus a grandkid still in the oven). Five shooters, seven 9-6 antelope doe tags.

Everyone is itching to get to the range.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Amen! I absolutely “hate” the web-site! I’ve called them andd said so. However.....that probably inspires the IT “azzW§&$ “ to make it worse! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B3

J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I drew a buck and 2 doe antelope for my 2nd choice (actually 1st choice but didn't want to use my points). Looking forward to another October in my favorite state!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by byron
MuskegMan, I live in Riverton and have not ever hunted 67, but I and my wife will be hunting 74 just to the East of 67. Been a very wet year so the quality of the animals should be very good. If you drew a type 1 be patient and you should be able to find a really nice buck if that is important to you. Good luck!

I'll need to bone up on judging horns. I recall driving from Casper to Riverton a few years back for a deer hunt in Unit 125 and remember all the pronghorn visible from the highway. I said: "that's where I where I want to hunt antelope!"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RNF
My hunting partner and I drew 2 NONRESIDENT DOE/FAWN ANTELOPE tags each for unit 47. I ready to start packing for the trip.

My wife and I each drew a doe/fawn tag for the area but we did not get "any antelope" tags. My wife and son did not draw extra cow/calf elk tags and I did not draw the deer tag I wanted. It turned out for the better as far as the elk and deer tags go, because the area we would have been hunting for those burned up a week and a half ago.

Then there's the watershed divides that Wyoming likes to use as boundaries so damn much...Which can be really difficult to determine with twisting and meandering drainages all over the place. Several states use watershed divides, especially in wilderness areas but Wyoming seems to really like them. Then there's the creeks used as boundaries, which generally are OK but at some point at the headwaters the creek bed ceases to exist. You may come to a spring at the headwaters several hundred yards from the ridgeline (or the creek may just peter out), but uphill from that there's no established creek bed so there's a lot of subjectivity of the unit boundaries at the heads of those basins when creeks or rivers are used as unit boundaries. It's almost like they made a deal with OnXmaps to make their products about the only way to reliable know when you're legal up in the high country.

That is so true. I try to be super geeky about being sure I am in the right place, and this can be very frustrating. I've even walked into Game and Fish headquarters and gone over their own maps with game wardens. I got the impression that they have to cut some slack on that. Think about the burden of proof. But, relying on the burden of proof is not the way I like to operate. (I don't know what OnXmaps is, BTW.)

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OnXmaps makes the GPS HUNT chips that show you that exact boundaries of hunt units, in addition to physical features such as ridge lines, rivers and roads with their topo overlays.

They're pretty handy, but I generally prefer not to rely on GPS, let alone having yet another thing (plus batteries) to carry around and remember where you last set it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
OnXmaps also provides landowner information. Pretty handy if you need or want access to private land.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I broke my streak in a minor way. The last 2 years I have been 0 for 8. This year I am 2 for 4. Drew a doe antelope and a doe deer

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Reminder - the leftover draw starts today!!

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
No luck. Put in for antelope unit 42. Should be able to draw next year I think.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Wife and I drew 23-2 antelope tags which are any antelope. We are now looking to get doe/fawn tags (since they are so much cheaper!).

I am starting to make sense of the types etc, There are lots of 23-7 tags left, I think that is what I need to apply for in the draw, is that right?

Thanks to anyone who can un-confuse me :-)

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Brazos
My son and I drew antelope doe/fawn tags for 83-7. First Wyoming hunt for either of us, will be taking his 7 year old daughter, my grand daughter, along.

Any advice for that unit? Season runs August 15 through November 15.

Hit it in Sept for best weather and maybe part of the rut. The rut is not necc. for a good hunt but interesting to watch.
Aug is too hot and Oct is fine for the hunting part but weather could be an issue. Late gets you wintering herds and they can be quite large and hard to sneak on.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
259 members (1Longbow, 222Sako, 12344mag, 160user, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 28 invisible), 1,938 guests, and 899 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,800
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.